No Refund Policy with Celebrity

stevenr597

Thanks. And yeah, the pricing may be slightly different, taxes, etc. But I have to think - absent a huge price spike - the NR cost would still be a savings.

I am tempted to try it, looking at a summer 2025 sailing right now...

2 hours ago, chisoxfan said:

So the NR deposit is necessary because people are booking cruises and cancelling 91 days in advance but cancellation two days in advance can be handled seamlessly by AI's  because they can pick up other days (even though average stay is 4-7 days) and international travel is required... doesn't make sense to me. Most hotels and tour operators (Viator) allow 24hr. cancellations and somehow I do not believe they come up with instant customers to fill a cancellation void. Traditionally for rental cars you just don't show up and no problem. I am sure this is not ideal for operators but it is good for consumers and that is their issue to resolve to maximize customers and profits.  Would you defend and buy from Amazon if they decided that offering free returns was not convenient so everything was final sale?  You are welcome to support X (and we have for many years) but in the travel marketplace we are free to gravitate to suppliers who meet our respective needs. I don't blame X for blowing up prices, restricting deposit refunds, etc., good for them if the market follows and rewards them. It's not a right or wrong question just one of preferences and sensibilities that each traveler needs to determine.

The more liberal the cancellation policies the more likely the business is to overbook to compensate which is fine, until you arrive for your car rental and they say, sorry we have no cars.  And that is kind of what cruise lines seem to be moving toward.   Celebrity still offers refundable deposits and they still offer some (although not nearly as many) agency refundable blocked units at reasonable prices.  The combo of the non refundable deposits (with it being harder to find the refundable ones), the big reduction in OBC and the removal of gratuities from the AI has kept me from booking multiple 2025 cruises with X.  Butlers in sky suites hasn't effected me.  I haven't found any other brands that I am loving either though so just kicking a few things around until I see something that is worth jumping on.  

On 2/27/2024 at 10:12 AM, mahasamatman said:

I would instantly fire any agent who tried to foist insurance on me. This is when it pays to have a good credit card.

Indeed.

On 2/27/2024 at 8:24 AM, Jim_Iain said:

Unfortunate and would be a good indication that you need to find a new Travel Agent. 

I see the agent failed you at least 3 time.   You should have been advised of your choice between a Refundable or Non-Refundable Fare, You should have been advised to purchase travel insurance  and Finally when you asked to cancel they should have told you your options of moving fee of $100 pp to move it to a different sailing as oppose to cancel where you loose your complete deposit.

If I’d been the OP’s TA I would have asked them if they wanted travel insurance, not recommended it to them. If they were interested I would send them information and ask them to let me know if they want it. It’s not for everybody - many working people are covered overseas by their employers’ plans. Others have credit cards that will provide some coverage. TAs have a conflict of interest because they receive a commission on the policies they sell so IMO aren’t the most reliable source for determining whether it’s appropriate. 

However, it’s also the customer’s responsibility to read their cruise documentation. The Celebrity invoices clearly state on the first page if a deposit is nonrefundable. Not saying that the TA shouldn’t have been up to date on Celebrity’s cancellations policies (for awhile they were offering FCC on the amount subject to penalty, but that went away in 2022 or early 2023), but we all bear some responsibility for knowing what we’ve purchased.

17 minutes ago, critterchick said:

Indeed.

If I’d been the OP’s TA I would have asked them if they wanted travel insurance, not recommended it to them. If they were interested I would send them information and ask them to let me know if they want it. It’s not for everybody - many working people are covered overseas by their employers’ plans. Others have credit cards that will provide some coverage. TAs have a conflict of interest because they receive a commission on the policies they sell so IMO aren’t the most reliable source for determining whether it’s appropriate. 

However, it’s also the customer’s responsibility to read their cruise documentation. The Celebrity invoices clearly state on the first page if a deposit is nonrefundable. Not saying that the TA shouldn’t have been up to date on Celebrity’s cancellations policies (for awhile they were offering FCC on the amount subject to penalty, but that went away in 2022 or early 2023), but we all bear some responsibility for knowing what we’ve purchased.

I already know what the OP will say.  The OP that insists the website is faulty but refuses to document their claims.  Claiming something in a post is not proof in any way, shape or form.  Especially when numerous people point out that what they say is simply not correct.

In answer to your comment they will say “it’s not my job to ask questions”.  The TA should know what I want.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, kirtihk said:

"Celebrity Cruises will retain the full amount of the required deposit paid on Non-refundable rate codes (NRD) that are cancelled outside of final payment.  Future Cruise Credits (FCCs) will no longer be issued if booking is cancelled, or the ship/ail date is changed on an NRD rate code".

Right, no more FCC, but if you change the ship/sail date it costs you $100pp. I just did this in November.

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, stevenr597 said:

Like I said, my comments stand, there is no problem in scrolling past the page in which they mention that there are two classes of deposits, and you can indeed put down a deposit and not learn it is non-refundable until "AFTER" you commit. 

You make the decision to click the box "I'd rather pay more for a refundable deposit" or not before continuing. They don't make that decision for you. If you didn't click it, you made that decision to have a non-refundable fare.

Edited by WrittenOnYourHeart

28 minutes ago, zitsky said:

The OP that insists the website is faulty but refuses to document their claims.  Claiming something in a post is not proof in any way, shape or form.  Especially when numerous people point out that what they say is simply not correct.

This! You have to consciously choose to check the box saying you'd rather pay more for refundable - if you choose not to check that, you are by default selecting a non-refundable deposit.

And if you're using a TA, yes - they should be asking if you want refundable or non-refundable. If they don't and book you in a non-refundable fare, then yes - the problem is on them.

On 2/27/2024 at 7:58 AM, paulh84 said:

Unfortunately when you cancel instead of move the date nonrefundable means nonrefundable. 

They dont even let you move the deposit any longer.

When I was booking my Beyond cruise the agent at Costco warned me the policyy change had just take place the day before. The travel agent need to warn people before they finalize the booking.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

You make the decision to click the box "I'd rather pay more for a refundable deposit" or not before continuing. They don't make that decision for you. If you didn't click it, you made that decision to have a non-refundable fare.

I think what OP is saying is that it is possible to click through to the confirmation page using the top banner—not scrolling down to click the “Continue” button. By doing this, one might never even see the refundable deposit option. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, PH2 said:

Thanks. And yeah, the pricing may be slightly different, taxes, etc. But I have to think - absent a huge price spike - the NR cost would still be a savings.

I am tempted to try it, looking at a summer 2025 sailing right now...

It's really just like doing a price drop.  You are just changing the rate on your reservation.   You should be able to call Celebrity or your TA to get this done without releasing your room.  You stated that you understand you would be doing it at the prevailing rate and promos.

11 minutes ago, RichYak said:

I think what OP is saying is that it is possible to click through to the confirmation page using the top banner—not scrolling down to click the “Continue” button. By doing this, one might never even see the refundable deposit option. 

When I tried a mock booking the top banner option to Review and Pay was greyed out. You had to scroll and click the button on the bottom and click “Review & Pay” and then a check mark appears next to step 2 in the banner to show you did that step. 

If you hit the back button to go back and review that customize page, it no longer is greyed out so at that point you could use the top banner, but not on your first click through. 

20 minutes ago, prmssk said:

When I tried a mock booking the top banner option to Review and Pay was greyed out. You had to scroll and click the button on the bottom and click “Review & Pay” and then a check mark appears next to step 2 in the banner to show you did that step. 

If you hit the back button to go back and review that customize page, it no longer is greyed out so at that point you could use the top banner, but not on your first click through. 

I just tried a mock booking. When I got to the page that I know from experience has insurance, dining preference, pre paid gratuity option, and refundable deposit option, I was able to proceed to “Review and Pay” by clicking the banner without scrolling down to see any of the options I listed above. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, RichYak said:

It's also possible to flip through the pages of a contract and not read them, then sign on the dotted line...both are a mistake.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Liao said:

It's also possible to flip through the pages of a contract and not read them, then sign on the dotted line...both are a mistake.

I’m not trying to make any excuses for OP.  I’m just confirming the claim that one can confirm and pay without ever seeing the option for a refundable deposit when booking direct using Celebrity’s website. 

5 hours ago, zitsky said:

I already know what the OP will say.  The OP that insists the website is faulty but refuses to document their claims.  Claiming something in a post is not proof in any way, shape or form.  Especially when numerous people point out that what they say is simply not correct.

In answer to your comment they will say “it’s not my job to ask questions”.  The TA should know what I want.

It can easily be done Just tried and was able to bypass the page where asking for more for refundable deposit.  No pics as not on computer right now.  Question should be more that why wouldn't you want to see all options overall and just go straight to payment after pick room and not be aware of any of the choices. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, RichYak said:

I just tried a mock booking. When I got to the page that I know from experience has insurance, dining preference, pre paid gratuity option, and refundable deposit option, I was able to proceed to “Review and Pay” by clicking the banner without scrolling down to see any of the options I listed above. 

Maybe a difference in browser?  I used Safari and couldn’t bypass that step by using the banner. 

3 minutes ago, prmssk said:

Maybe a difference in browser?  I used Safari and couldn’t bypass that step by using the banner. 

I used safari earlier. I just tried again using safari with the same results. Step 2 of 3 Customize your trip has 2 pages. The first is to choose cruise only or AI. “Review and pay” is greyed out as seen in the first image. The second image was captured on page 2 of “customize your trip” without scrolling down to the deposit options. “Review and pay” is no longer greyed out. 

CEADE001-C433-4B83-BABE-CC4DB3C80003.png

AAAAB45D-554C-4569-A7C3-6FDEB1BAB229.png

5 hours ago, zitsky said:

The OP that insists the website is faulty but refuses to document their claims.  Claiming something in a post is not proof in any way, shape or form.  Especially when numerous people point out that what they say is simply not correct.

I just documented OP’s claims with screenshots in my last post. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mahdnc said:

I hope you guys don’t accidentally book a cruise (an NRD one). 

Lol I think I may have 12 cruises on hold proving OP’s claim. 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, RichYak said:

I just documented OP’s claims with screenshots in my last post. 

And I appreciate that.  I don’t see why it was so difficult for OP to do that if they are claiming that something is broken.

19 minutes ago, prmssk said:

I had the same results using Chrome on the same device. TBH I’m not sure which screen caps I posted but the results were the same. 

6 minutes ago, zitsky said:

And I appreciate that.  I don’t see why it was so difficult for OP to do that if they are claiming that something is broken.

I think they tried to upthread. I just did a better job at it.