No Refund Policy with Celebrity

stevenr597

We had booked a 7 day cruse on Celebrity Ascent for March, 2025.  The deposit for the three of us was $750.00. 

However we discovered that we had a conflict and couldn't cruise that month.  We asked our travel agent to cancel which he did.  All of this occurred over a time period of less than one week. 

After it was cancelled, our agent notified us that we would lose the entire deposit.

We tried to contact Celebrity, but since we booked through a travel agent, they said that there was "nothing they could no."

Our Travel Agent informed us that Celebrity refused to refund our deposit or to use it as a credit for another cruise.

We are Elite Cruisers with Celebrity, but probably this will be our last booking. 

5 minutes ago, stevenr597 said:

We had booked a 7 day cruse on Celebrity Ascent for March, 2025.  The deposit for the three of us was $750.00. 

However we discovered that we had a conflict and couldn't cruise that month.  We asked our travel agent to cancel which he did.  All of this occurred over a time period of less than one week. 

After it was cancelled, our agent notified us that we would lose the entire deposit.

We tried to contact Celebrity, but since we booked through a travel agent, they said that there was "nothing they could no."

Our Travel Agent informed us that Celebrity refused to refund our deposit or to use it as a credit for another cruise.

We are Elite Cruisers with Celebrity, but probably this will be our last booking. 

As of some time last year they made their non-refundable just that, non-refundable. Had you just changed the sail date/ship (keeping your original booking number) instead of canceling you most likely would only have had a $100pp fee to do so.

• Like 10

At the time you booked, you should have had the option to pay more for a refundable deposit. If you booked with the nonrefundable, a good travel agent should have reminded you that the deposit was non-refundable before submitting the cancellation that way you could have moved it to another date and just paid the change fee. It's true that once booked through an agent, Celebrity won't talk with you. Sorry about your lost deposit.

• Like 11

2 minutes ago, RTShaker said:

As of some time last year they made their non-refundable just that, non-refundable. Had you just changed the sail date/ship (keeping your original booking number) instead of canceling you most likely would only have had a $100pp fee to do so.

Yes, in this case our travel agent failed to notify us. 

• Like 1

I would think this is on your travel agent.  Your travel agent should have told you if you were booking with a refundable or non-refundable deposit during your booking process and it sounds as if this did not occur. 

I've always booked directly with Celebrity, either on the ship or online.  One of the items I need to address when booking online is whether or not I'd like a refundable deposit.  This is addressed prior to the total payment, on the same screen as adding cruise care, dining, and gratuities. 

• Like 10

4 minutes ago, RTShaker said:

This^^^

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, stevenr597 said:

Many here on CC don't realize that when you book through a TA, the TA is the customer of the cruise line NOT you as the passenger. You are a customer of the TA. This is why they won't talk to you. It can be a hard lesson learned. We've seen it numerous times over the years. I know we are in the minority in that we never use a TA. We ALWAYS book direct. We have dealt with similar circumstances as yours and it's always easier to speak with the cruise line direct. In our experience the cruise line has always been very accommodating. The cruise line WANTS to solve the problem and will work with you. Doesn't mean you'll always get what you want, but the issue is usually resolved satisfactorily. I know many here on CC swear by using a TA. Yes, when things go smoothly, GREAT. But when issues arise (which they often do) not all TA are the same. IMHO, it's just not worth using a TA to get a bottle of wine in the cabin or a couple of hundred dollars of OBC. Good Luck.       

• Like 17

Unfortunate and would be a good indication that you need to find a new Travel Agent. 

I see the agent failed you at least 3 time.   You should have been advised of your choice between a Refundable or Non-Refundable Fare, You should have been advised to purchase travel insurance  and Finally when you asked to cancel they should have told you your options of moving fee of $100 pp to move it to a different sailing as oppose to cancel where you loose your complete deposit.

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

Definitely on the TA, if you were not informed that you booked non refundable rate.  The TA's I deal with that is always my first question on rates they give me, is this a refundable rate or non refundable.  What is cxl policy etc. Plus been dealing with them for years and they know what I look for.    I book far out usually 1+ year when cruises come out for good rates, things change and I know it from work wise happenings.  Not a Celebrity issue, there is a reason the Non refundable rate is cheaper, because its non refundable.  To me its clear, hotels do it all the time, so do many resorts etc.  I will pay the extra for refundable as its just part of traveling for me at this point.  When I retire things might be different and will be able to last minute kind of bookings.  

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Mangrove Snapper said:

I would think this is on your travel agent.  Your travel agent should have told you if you were booking with a refundable or non-refundable deposit during your booking process and it sounds as if this did not occur. 

Absolutely on the Travel Agent and not on Celebrity. My agent knows me very well and knows that I'm prone to changing things up, so unless the amount of the difference is HUGE she automatically books me under refundable. That way I can cancel without losing anything OR move the date without the $100 penalty.

I'd say it's time for the OP to get a new travel agent.

• Like 1

Just doing some random thinking but if they moved the cruise to a different date could they choose a refundable deposit then cancel and only lose 100 pp transfer fee instead of 750 deposit? Is that possible?

1 hour ago, JJK2008 said:

Many here on CC don't realize that when you book through a TA, the TA is the customer of the cruise line NOT you as the passenger. You are a customer of the TA. This is why they won't talk to you. It can be a hard lesson learned. We've seen it numerous times over the years. I know we are in the minority in that we never use a TA. We ALWAYS book direct. We have dealt with similar circumstances as yours and it's always easier to speak with the cruise line direct. In our experience the cruise line has always been very accommodating. The cruise line WANTS to solve the problem and will work with you. Doesn't mean you'll always get what you want, but the issue is usually resolved satisfactorily. I know many here on CC swear by using a TA. Yes, when things go smoothly, GREAT. But when issues arise (which they often do) not all TA are the same. IMHO, it's just not worth using a TA to get a bottle of wine in the cabin or a couple of hundred dollars of OBC. Good Luck.       

If this is all your TA is providing to you, then yes, book direct is advisable.

Our TA usually has fares 15% to 20% lower than booking direct, which is the value proposition for us and others here, as well.

bon voyage

• Like 2

1 hour ago, peterde said:

Just doing some random thinking but if they moved the cruise to a different date could they choose a refundable deposit then cancel and only lose 100 pp transfer fee instead of 750 deposit? Is that possible?

We tried, but according to our travel agent, Celebrity said.....no

1 hour ago, peterde said:

It is my understanding that you cannot switch from a non-refundable fare to a refundable fare. Otherwise, I imagine people would just use that workaround for non-refundable fares. 

And in this case the cruise has already been cancelled so it is too late to even move it. 

The agent messed up here in not discussing options before going through with the cancellation. It sounds like they also should have been a lot clearer in the beginning that it was a non-refundable fare they were booking for their client. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, mahasamatman said:

I would instantly fire any agent who tried to foist insurance on me. This is when it pays to have a good credit card.

You could also simply decline the insurance.

Edited by hrhdhd
  • Like 10

4 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

You should have been advised to purchase travel insurance  

Unless you purchase cancel for any reason travel insurance (significantly more expensive) it would not cover the situation the OP talked about.

I also don’t see how this is Celebrity’s fault. Non-refundable is non-refundable. Also, non of the cruise lines I’ve traveled on will talk to you about the reservation without the travel agent on the line.

I definitely would not use the travel agent again.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, stevenr597 said:

We tried, but according to our travel agent, Celebrity said.....no

tried what exactly? Moving the booking to a different date? You didn't say that in your original post.

Like this:

5 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Finally when you asked to cancel they should have told you your options of moving fee of $100 pp to move it to a different sailing as oppose to cancel where you lose your complete deposit.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy