No Refund Policy with Celebrity

stevenr597

13 hours ago, prmssk said:

It is my understanding that you cannot switch from a non-refundable fare to a refundable fare. Otherwise, I imagine people would just use that workaround for non-refundable fares. 

And in this case the cruise has already been cancelled so it is too late to even move it. 

The agent messed up here in not discussing options before going through with the cancellation. It sounds like they also should have been a lot clearer in the beginning that it was a non-refundable fare they were booking for their client. 

The OP made it clear that they told the TA to cancel the booking and the TA followed those instructions. 

In the UK the situation described would be classified as "disinclination to travel" against which there is no insurance, no credit card refund and if you have booked with a non refundable fare, no refund.

The lesson is to always discuss/research the options before you go for the "nuclear option" of cancelling.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, LB_NJ said:

I thought you could no longer move a deposit to another cruise.  Once you make a non refundable deposit it is completely lost if you change sailing date.

The only time you completely forfeit the deposit is if you cancel. You can move the sail date with a $100 per person change fee. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, the penguins said:

The OP made it clear that they told the TA to cancel the booking and the TA followed those instructions. 

In the UK the situation described would be classified as "disinclination to travel" against which there is no insurance, no credit card refund and if you have booked with a non refundable fare, no refund.

The lesson is to always discuss/research the options before you go for the "nuclear option" of cancelling.

Maybe if the travel agency let the OP know they could have change the cruise for a minimum charger they may of done that instead coming to CC to complain 

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Maybe if the travel agency let the OP know they could have change the cruise for a minimum charger they may of done that instead coming to CC to complain 

We were not aware that there was a "no refund" on our deposit.  Certainly if we had been given the choice we would have put down a bigger deposit if it was refundable.

If we had been notified that we would lose the deposit, we simply would have used the deposit (even with the $100.00 penalty) and booked another cruise (with a refundable deposit)

In any case, I did submit some of the comments from this posting to my travel agent, and he is refunding our deposit.  

• Like 19

44 minutes ago, stevenr597 said:

In any case, I did submit some of the comments from this posting to my travel agent, and he is refunding our deposit.  

Pain to have to go through all that but happy the agent is refunding your deposit.

I refuse to book a cruise (or hotel) with a non refundable deposit. X offers refundable option but as many know the price add on is insane (numbers in Retreat I have seen are 15-17% premium often much more than an actual cancellation). MSC YC has smaller deposit requirements that are NR and at least offer some options for rescheduling. Princess and HAL have resisted the NR option so they will get my business. I mean a cruise is fully paid for 90 days or more out which is way more onerous than most hotels and some lines still think they can apply even more stringent NR policies? JMHO

ps. glad initial poster was reimbursed by TA but not sure that is where the ultimate problem lies.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Galaxy2004 said:

Pain to have to go through all that but happy the agent is refunding your deposit.

good news.. hope it will help cover the revised arrangements

35 minutes ago, chisoxfan said:

I refuse to book a cruise (or hotel) with a non refundable deposit. X offers refundable option but as many know the price add on is insane 

This is where a good travel agent can save you thousands $$$$ on Celebrity 

I have to agree with the above poster in some respects.   My deposit is always insured just for that amount, then before I do my final payment, I add the rest to my insurance.  I had a cruise that I moved, but then had to move it again due to an accident.  Celebrity would not do that so I lost my deposit; however, then I was charged an additional 500 because it was a suite, even though they moved a 400 deposit to secure it.  Needless to say, this has been a nightmare trying to get my money returned, minus the deposit and the additional 500.  My TA has never run into this elongated situation where everyone has a different answer, yet nothing gets done.  The cruise was canceled a day after I made final payment and before Celebrity’s 90 days, but Celebrity tried to get 25% anyway due to untrained and new employees not knowing what they were doing.  I am still waiting for another 1,800 because of airfare. Every FBC didn’t want to return this either; they kept saying it was already returned, but could not give a date or amount!  My TA has called and been on the phone for days.  I even called to get to the bottom and finally talked to someone who actually understood Celebrity’s own policy regarding cancelations.  Celebrity sent me a questionnaire and I explained all of this too.  They love to take your money, but good luck getting it back!  Whatever happened to simplicity, simplicity and simplicity?  Those days are gone.  It doesn’t matter how much you save on a cruise if you have to fight to get money returned; I just want a fair price...maybe I need to move to Princess?  

Edited by Lastdance
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, paulh84 said:

This is where a good travel agent can save you thousands $$$$ on Celebrity 

Not sure I follow. I have used several agents and don't know any who can 'waive' a non refundable deposit without using insurance which is not always that transparent (or cheap).

Anyway, I don't stay up at night worrying about it. If X offered some extraordinary value to me I might rethink the NR deposit as much as I disfavor it. Just hoping that HAL and Princess don't follow suit- unlikely if X doesn't see any market repercussions. 

On 2/27/2024 at 1:12 PM, mahasamatman said:

I would instantly fire any agent who tried to foist insurance on me. This is when it pays to have a good credit card.

Say what?  Are you saying my AmEx Platinum card automatically provides me with the same type of insurance I purchase via Tripmate?  Or am I missing something?  Thanks

38 minutes ago, chisoxfan said:

Not sure I follow. I have used several agents and don't know any who can 'waive' a non refundable deposit without using insurance which is not always that transparent (or cheap).

Anyway, I don't stay up at night worrying about it. If X offered some extraordinary value to me I might rethink the NR deposit as much as I disfavor it. Just hoping that HAL and Princess don't follow suit- unlikely if X doesn't see any market repercussions. 

Call and ask what they can do to get you in a group rate. You'll get a refundable deposit, classic drink package and basic WiFi at close to or lower than the NRD Cruise Only price. My most recent booking was a $1700+ difference on a seven night cruise in Aqua. 

I don't see how this completely TA's fault. If OP is Elite, that means they cruises with X a lot. NRD vs RD have been around for awhile. So, they should know better to look at their invoice/confirmation and check if what they have booked is agreed to what they want.

• Like 2

On 2/27/2024 at 4:35 PM, hcat said:

Bad TA... did not advise abt losing dep or other options.Did you ask? Not Celebrity's fault

A deposit never has been refundable in UK.

We once moved our booking date for free,  as we are Elite.

• Like 1

On 2/27/2024 at 12:05 PM, Bo1953 said:

If this is all your TA is providing to you, then yes, book direct is advisable.

Our TA usually has fares 15% to 20% lower than booking direct, which is the value proposition for us and others here, as well.

bon voyage

In Chicago LSD stands for Lake Shore Drive.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, paulh84 said:

Call and ask what they can do to get you in a group rate. You'll get a refundable deposit, classic drink package and basic WiFi at close to or lower than the NRD Cruise Only price. My most recent booking was a $1700+ difference on a seven night cruise in Aqua. 

I have had a few of these but not often. I have had some limitations when booking with group rates also .  Anyway, now booking with cruise line, checking two T/A sources and then transfer booking.

Frankly knowing X is not offering 'typical' NR deposits I will not be looking at them as a primary

option not to say I would not cruise them if the opportunity arose.

2 hours ago, ISABELLA said:

I don't see how this completely TA's fault. If OP is Elite, that means they cruises with X a lot. NRD vs RD have been around for awhile. So, they should know better to look at their invoice/confirmation and check if what they have booked is agreed to what they want.

This^^^.  Plus, the TA holds some responsibility by not reminding the OP of the consequences of a cancellation and losing the entire deposit. 

BTW, amongst Celebrity's negative changes to their booking policies, you no longer get a 24-hour refund window once a booking is made for a NRD.  The minute you make the deposit, it's nonrefundable. 

1 hour ago, chisoxfan said:

I have had a few of these but not often. I have had some limitations when booking with group rates also .  Anyway, now booking with cruise line, checking two T/A sources and then transfer booking.

Frankly knowing X is not offering 'typical' NR deposits I will not be looking at them as a primary

option not to say I would not cruise them if the opportunity arose.

Oops!

Edited by Lastdance

On 2/27/2024 at 10:05 AM, Bo1953 said:

If this is all your TA is providing to you, then yes, book direct is advisable.

Our TA usually has fares 15% to 20% lower than booking direct, which is the value proposition for us and others here, as well.

bon voyage

and...any hints?  I know I am not supposed to ask for the name, so that is not want I want, but anything else might help!  

Pkease expkain this change fee to me. I know

What it is but why? Aren’t people calling all day because the fare dropped, or they want to upgrade cabin, change beverage package

Cancel an excursion etc. These are all changes right?

Example - The cruise fair dropped $500 before final payment. No problem sir, we will get you the lower  fare minus the change fee we charge to do this. I don’t get why Joe shmo can’t book a cruise a year out. He then finds out immediately, that the date won’t work, so he’s charged $100 to pick a different cruise when people are calling all day making changes

5 hours ago, paulh84 said:

Curious.....can you choose a specific cabin (such as on the hump/angle) if able to be put into a group rate or are you limited to choosing within a specific "block" of staterooms that the TA has for this rate?

21 hours ago, LB_NJ said:

I thought you could no longer move a deposit to another cruise.  Once you make a non refundable deposit it is completely lost if you change sailing date.

You can move your deposit to a different cruise even.  You are penalized with a charge each time.

5 hours ago, CruisinShips said:

Say what?  Are you saying my AmEx Platinum card automatically provides me with the same type of insurance I purchase via Tripmate?  Or am I missing something?  Thanks

Some credit cards do offer trip insurance.  You can cancel for covered reasons only (illness, etc.) They also have PP limits which may not be very high.  Chase Sapphire has about the best one I have found.  AmEx no longer includes trip insurance (at least not my Delta AmEx).  You can find the specifics online or call them and they will mail you a brochure explaining their benefits, including trip ins.

Anecdotally, I have heard they can be pretty tough to deal with when making a claim, but it's sure better than nothing.

Even the Chase Sapphire insurance has horribly low medical coverage and doesn't cover pre-existing conditions.  While I depend on it and self insure for cancellation/interruption I carry a separate annual travel medical policy.  There is an entire board here on Cruise Critic on travel insurance.