The Fleet Report and Daily for Saturday March 2nd, 2024

kazu

Good afternoon, Dailyites!  Thanks for the mention, Graham, March certainly came in like a lion yesterday.   We had wind, rain, snow pellets, and then sunshine, all in one day.  We are threatened with a couple of freezing nights next week, and then  I hope winter is done for!  March has to get ready to go out like a lamb.  I bought radish and scarlet runner seeds today.  I know it's too early to even think about the beans, but after I clean up my little vegetable bed, I will plant some radishes and see what happens.  My vegetable bed is about 18" by 3 feet, so I definitely have to practice that old "square foot gardening".  Pat's favourite lettuce is "Red Sails" and I never seem to find seeds, but occasionally can buy a few plants at the garden centre.  I'll be looking for those, too.  I usually put them in a big pot on the deck so I can get at them easily from the kitchen.

Bon voyage to those preparing to travel - that'll be us in a month!  I go to the Navigator every Day to check what's on the menus!  I noticed that for the Lido now there is a "Late Night Snack" menu, which I don't remember seeing before (but mainly I check the MDR menu).   A Bbelated Happy Birthday, Chief!   Sounds like you are having a great time down under.

• Like 20

It turned out to be a busy morning.  We decided to go for a drive-thru breakfast.  While we were  out we ran an errand and got gas.  Once we were home, I took advantage of the warm sun and still relatively low winds to do some outside chores.  The wind even behaved enough to allow me to spray the weed killer.  I didn't get the entire lot sprayed since I ran out of weed killer.  I used the wind we had to my advantage and let the wind blow the spray a bit farther than it normally would go.  Just about the time I finished outside, the wind began to pick up, and now it's really blowing if the trees are any indication.  Our windspeed anemometer is really turning fast, but because of it's location, it always reads low.  I'm now doing inside chores.

3 hours ago, Denise T said:

Update on Chase's vet visit. The toe will have to be amputated as the doctor is concerned about the "cyst'. It contains soft tissue instead of fluid. It is located on the extra toe that Chase was born with and had the first part of the toe that contained the nail amputated when he was a kitten as it was getting caught on everything. Because of the way the mass looks, they are going to amputate the rest of that toe down to the foot pad. We had bloodwork done as he is an elderly guy. Surgery is scheduled for March 14th. 

Denise, I'm sorry Chase has to have to surgery, but I'm glad the vet is not taking any chances either.

Lenda

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

Good afternoon, Dailyites!  Thanks for the mention, Graham, March certainly came in like a lion yesterday.   We had wind, rain, snow pellets, and then sunshine, all in one day.  We are threatened with a couple of freezing nights next week, and then  I hope winter is done for!  March has to get ready to go out like a lamb.  I bought radish and scarlet runner seeds today.  I know it's too early to even think about the beans, but after I clean up my little vegetable bed, I will plant some radishes and see what happens.  My vegetable bed is about 18" by 3 feet, so I definitely have to practice that old "square foot gardening".  Pat's favourite lettuce is "Red Sails" and I never seem to find seeds, but occasionally can buy a few plants at the garden centre.  I'll be looking for those, too.  I usually put them in a big pot on the deck so I can get at them easily from the kitchen.

Bon voyage to those preparing to travel - that'll be us in a month!  I go to the Navigator every Day to check what's on the menus!  I noticed that for the Lido now there is a "Late Night Snack" menu, which I don't remember seeing before (but mainly I check the MDR menu).   A Bbelated Happy Birthday, Chief!   Sounds like you are having a great time down under.

Thank you Ann.

Your weather yesterday sounded like ours but I'm pleased you and Pat are safe.

I hope you are both well.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Sasha was a rescued cat, from the Massachusetts SPCA, which obtained her from an incipient hoarder. I wouldn't mind some banana cream pie, and I think I qualify as old stuff myself.

The chicken and lentil stew would probably be OK, with reduced heat. Pass on the drink. For a sauvignon blanc, this time we'll go with Glenora 2021.

On Spacehook I saw a video of horses running along I-90 in Cleveland, in the opposite direction to traffic (which was probably fortunate since drivers saw them and moved aside). They were from the Cleveland Police Department's mounted unit and headed for their stable.

Garden club: in class on Thursday, I gave a presentation about increased rainfall and how to manage it, including replanting residential lawns with native plants so that they would absorb and hold more water. I'm thinking about doing that on a small part (at first) of my property. To avoid being hauled into town court, I will have to make it entirely flowering plants, no native grasses. When I start, even so, I'll have to fence it, to make it clear to the neighbors that it's intentional. Perhaps I can include some sedges (carex), as some them top out at 12 inches, the town limit for "weeds."

14477.gif.7846d0843d94bddd2a7cbe7fe5575b16.gif

Edited by kochleffel
  • Like 10
  • Haha 3

I've been busy all day and think I wore my thumb out so had to stop stitching.  I "watched" some mysteries at the same time so I wouldn't get bored.  DH is finishing watching a movie in his study and it's nearing time for bed.  Sorry for getting back to you all so late.  Thank you to @ottahand7, @smitty34877, @Quartzsite Cruiser, @JazzyV, @luvteaching and @bennybear for your remarks on the stocking work.  I agree it's time consuming, taking months to do (8 to 10 usually) and I'm glad I might be inspiring Karen.  Vanessa, I'd love to see a picture of your project.  You should try to work on it a little at a time.  Yesterday after working on it I got sleepy and went to the napping room for an hour or so to lie down.  When I got up my eyesight was blurry for about 20 minutes even with glasses on so I couldn't work on it at all.  Just goes to show we should rest our eyes more often when straining them. 🤓 

DS and DDIL got back to Dallas from Madrid last evening, pretty late due to delays getting into the air in Madrid.  Today Ren had a soccer game against the Dallas Hornets MLS next team and FC Dallas won 3 to 2.  Ren scored another header goal.  I got to see a video of it and it all happens so fast!  The ball came at him high so impossible to kick so use the next best thing - your head!  Went straight into the net.  Score!

Well, time for a good rest.  No exercise in the morning as it's our day off so an extra hour of sleep.  BTW, I see on my calendar the U.S. changes the clocks forward an hour next Sunday so start getting prepared!🕰️

• Like 14

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, SusieKIslandGirl said:

@bennybearThe fabric store sounds interesting. Where is it located? Thanks!

Kimura’s  is on the Mamalahoa highway south of Kona in Kealakakua.    It has been there a long time,  some really nice and unique fabrics.  And lovely, very patient  ladies!   The little village has some unique shops.  

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 7

20 hours ago, ger_77 said:

@StLouisCruisers we need a "WOW" emoji!  I've done some cross stitch in the past, so know how much work goes into a piece.  I realize you've done others for your family as well, but I have to commend you on taking on such a project for a newcomer to your family!  

@StLouisCruisers +1

Beautiful!!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cruising sister said:

Hello from the Volendam.  I just got word that Baby Murphy went home. She will have to be on CPAP at home and will get 40 hours of nursing help.  I will update as I hear.  Have a great day!

Fantastic news!   Thank you for the update!

• Like 5

3 hours ago, cruising sister said:

Hello from the Volendam.  I just got word that Baby Murphy went home. She will have to be on CPAP at home and will get 40 hours of nursing help.  I will update as I hear.  Have a great day!

Thank you for the wonderful news about Baby Murphy.

Lenda 

• Like 1