Labadee? Turmoil in Haiti

Gangs trying to overtake the airport recently. I remember a few years ago a boat protesting preventing ships from entering Labadee maybe 2016 just before we actually went there. Seems like the current situation is getting worse. Love the place. Anyone know from recent trips there? How was it?

Was there back when the boat protests were going on.  Everything was peaceful.  Small boats with folks looking for publicity holding up signs protesting Haitian politics.  Kept off to side, no attempt to get in our way.  No animosity towards cruise passengers.

3 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

Seeing as all the excursions are contained at the port...

The wave runner excursion I took about 10 years ago went about 20 miles up the coast. Don't know if they still offer it. We got to see the Citadel from the water and a bnch of local fishermen in one or two person tiny boats. Too bad Haiti has been such a mess, the Citadel would be a popular attraction. 

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Joesantos said:

Gangs trying to overtake the airport recently. I remember a few years ago a boat protesting preventing ships from entering Labadee maybe 2016 just before we actually went there. Seems like the current situation is getting worse. Love the place. Anyone know from recent trips there? How was it?

At least 4 different times over last 35yrs seen Royal ships change stops here, when does happen not usually not for long. Most time when you'd think would happen due to unrest, Ships still stopped here

Edited by ONECRUISER

21 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

Seeing as all the excursions are contained at the port...

I recall some going outside the port area, but it has been a while since we were there.

noon 6 March 9 (Eastern Standard Time)

image.thumb.png.55c347c4d13a38965b55d0b4b15868dd.png

<when MT gets AIS via a participating land station they identify the vessel by name, they get this data 'free'  ... when they get it from a satellite source they had to pay to get the data and charge for anything other than vessel class>

marinetraffic.com