This doesn't seem fair!!

1 hour ago, Cruising Is Bliss said:

You can't buy points, they have to be earned. That's pretty standard in the travel industry. 

But you can buy frequent flier miles aka points! 

On last year's cruise we were 2 Captain's Club points away from Elite Plus. We had just earned 5 points from a PUP video about 2 weeks prior to that cruise, but the rules indicated they would be awarded the 14th of the following month- after we disembarked. I emailed and called pleading for those points to be credited before we cruised, to no avail. We were really hoping to enjoy that Cafe al Bacio benefit!

Sorry for the OPs angst and even more sorry for her injury. Ship happens, even though the ship didn't happen. Imagine if the injury had occurred on the cruise!

• Like 1

1. On a side note, several respondents to this post have indicated they sustained the same type of injury as OP.  Curious how this sort of injury is sustained so that I can make every effort to avoid.   Sounds dreadful...not to mention extremely disruptive to the normal routine.
  • Like 1

On 3/6/2024 at 12:39 PM, calicakes said:

.  I would have reached Elite after this cruise.  

Haven't read through the entire thread, but being Elite isn't that big a deal.   You get nothing that special, so no need to fret about that.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CruiseRQA said:

Haven't read through the entire thread, but being Elite isn't that big a deal.   You get nothing that special, so no need to fret about that.  

Quite agree.  OP was hoping to reach the Elite level so that they could status match to another cruise line.

So my DH says if you know you have an undocumented health issue looming that would prevent you from cruising then buy a cruise and insurance, cancel for said medical reason and collect the points..lol . Maybe one of the reasons they don't award points for a cruise you don't take

8 minutes ago, gold1953 said:

if you know you have an undocumented health issue looming that would prevent you from cruising then buy a cruise and insurance, cancel for said medical reason

You and your doctor would need to commit insurance fraud to be successful in this case.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Georgia_Peaches said:
  1. On a side note, several respondents to this post have indicated they sustained the same type of injury as OP.  Curious how this sort of injury is sustained so that I can make every effort to avoid.   Sounds dreadful...not to mention extremely disruptive to the normal routine.

I watched a lot of YouTube videos on this type of injury. A lot of them occurred, falling down stairs, or biking, hiking climbing mountains, fun things I wasn’t even doing anything fun.

• Thanks 3

43 minutes ago, RichYak said:

You and your doctor would need to commit insurance fraud to be successful in this case.

but , I said undocumented so not something a person would have been to a doctor for. Personally we are not concerned about points being elite plus with no chance of zenith. DH was trying to create a situation.

41 minutes ago, calicakes said:

I watched a lot of YouTube videos on this type of injury. A lot of them occurred, falling down stairs, or biking, hiking climbing mountains, fun things I wasn’t even doing anything fun.

I once tore a ligament in my ankle by stepping off a curb. Really tried to come up with something more exciting to tell people, but it never worked.

1 hour ago, gold1953 said:

but , I said undocumented so not something a person would have been to a doctor for.

Ok, then only you would be committing insurance fraud.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, villauk said:

I know, but it’s still worth checking the policy to make sure that what is quoted is for the two of them or pp, as was stated by another US poster above.

they may have another issue, or at least they would have in the UK, as they have in effect two insurance policies for the same event. Here if you make a claim one of the questions the insurance company would ask is if you have any other policies. The company you claimed against could well then claim half the costs from your other insurance company which in turn could see your future premiums rise from both companies. 

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, calicakes said:

oh, no! Since you mentioned being a very active person, I totally thought that you must have been doing some sporty or fun activity...

Also, I deemed myself safe from sustaining a similar injury simply because I don't participate in any active fun. Well, apparently, I am not safe either.

3 hours ago, ExArkie said:

I once tore a ligament in my ankle by stepping off a curb.

ok, yes, that happened to me too, but not a shattered leg and months of recovery and PT...

My situation is better described by memes:

image.jpeg.34988ecd8c07a75a882389f60b60e44d.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.9b1835a84605223d27f43f4a2405592c.jpeg

x1Hp22xH02xTRpSFXuLkuQTfoUsBJgFHp_lg.jpg.pagespeed_ic.dkZODl6FGV.webp.19ae4510084b8b8170451dc6a0837128.webpimage.jpeg.811b063c483c98c61a597b1ad67737ae.jpeg

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 9

I will now share what my friend did in high school to make her injury sound interesting.

We were in her garage, and her mother's boyfriends motorcycle was there.  She was showing it to me by walking it around the garage, and it managed to fall on her foot, breaking a bone.

She went around school telling everyone she'd been in a motorcycle accident. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

6 hours ago, gold1953 said:

So my DH says if you know you have an undocumented health issue looming that would prevent you from cruising then buy a cruise and insurance, cancel for said medical reason and collect the points..lol . Maybe one of the reasons they don't award points for a cruise you don't take

IF it is undocumented how do you know you have it?   I had a CAD issue that cropped up unexpectedly right before a scheduled cruise.  Thankfully I did have insurance but I had no idea I had a problem until I ended up in the ER with chest pains.  They said I had not had a heart attack but kept me for more tests. 4 days later I had two stents put in and was told "no, you are not getting on an airplane to Europe tomorrow".  The kind of issues that will cause you to miss your trip are rarely undocumented and insurance companies look long and hard at all of it.  

OP, I get your venting, I was angry and upset 10 years ago when I missed out on 10 nights of points for a trip we paid for.....just be thankful that you will heal and be fine.  Those were the words of my original orthopedist when I complained about how much my broken femur hurt and I was sick and tired of being stuck in the hospital and I wanted to go home.  He told me to either stop complaining or get a  new doc.  " you got caught on an icy road between the steel bumpers of two cars.  You could have been killed, you could have broken both legs, you could have lost your legs so stop complaining and get to work".  I did....and I still remember that speech 57 years later.  I am still here, still going and doing and very thankful.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Calicakes, I totally understand about your unfortunate accident, as we discussed this because of my DH's skiing accident.  We canceled before the 90 days, albeit only 2 days, but Celebrity has been a royal pain to deal with, not only for me, but my TA.  Yes, I got involved and Celebrity did talk with me!  Celebrity also added on an extra $500 fee because they had our money.  I am still disputing this with Citi Bank; my insurance was way more than my deposit, but received the entire amount back because of the” look" period.  Anyway, it can be very frustrating when working with Celebrity...I certainly feel that I have gone through it all, as there are so many newbies who do not have a clue, not to mention getting different answers to the same question.  I know you will work through this process, even though some of the comments on here are from those who just enjoy typing words to make them appear super-condescending, un-entitled and just full of themselves!  Yes, you are entitled to your opinion!  We all deserve that.

I hope you can enjoy many more cruises on those lines that you choose based on whatever criteria you want; it’s your hard-earned money, along with your retirement!  Life can be a real pain in the butt, but in your case, in the foot/ankle.  Furthermore, you do not owe any of us anything.

Edited by Lastdance
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, wrk2cruise said:

Neither, they keep the cash.  Remember we are discussing paid in full cruises here.

I’m not an accountant, so I am curious how unspent OBC is treated by the cruise line, as I myself “lost” $500 in OBC when I transferred my cruise down payment to another itinerary. 

I can’t see it as being treated as income, since it was all ghost money to begin with.

If OBC is written off as a promotional expense anyway - if left unspent there is less to write off?

@Georgia_Peaches, from what @calicakes and others have described, I am presuming a tri-malleolar fracture, which is what I had. This means a break off of the malleolus of the tibia, a fracture of the posterior tibia, and a break off of the malleolus of the fibula. Since those are, in fact, the bones that comprise the ankle joint, you MUST have surgery and you are non-weight bearing for AT LEAST 6 - 8 weeks. @calicakes is much younger than I am, and I don’t know how she sustained her injury. I am 62, and I stepped on a small pile of acorns while walking my dog downhill, and all of my weight landed on my right ankle. It broke in the three places described above, and was dislocated in two planes. S L O W process for recovery. 

IMG_4532.jpeg

IMG_4533.jpeg

• Like 1

DingoMom, after looking at your x-rays I am never walking a dog.....but I am glad modern medicine got you back together.  When I broke my femur right above the knee it was complete and they were initially talking about 12 weeks of traction or 12 weeks in a cast that would cover my whole leg and then go over my hips...12 weeks flat on my back eiher way.  Thankfully my regular orthopedist came in the next day and looked at things and said he had some thing new to try...said it was a 10 day risk.  If it worked the cast would only cover my leg, if it did not work, 10 days lost and into the OR and traction... we fook the risk and it worked but still 7 weeks in plaster all the way up my leg that was bent at at a 90 degree angle and then 4 weeks out of plaster but no weight. By the time he said "Ok, you can really walk on it" it had been 14 weeks...

So, everyone be careful out there so we don't have to fuss about Celebrity's rotten policy on points ever again....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DingoMom said:

@Georgia_Peaches, from what @calicakes and others have described, I am presuming a tri-malleolar fracture, which is what I had. This means a break off of the malleolus of the tibia, a fracture of the posterior tibia, and a break off of the malleolus of the fibula. Since those are, in fact, the bones that comprise the ankle joint, you MUST have surgery and you are non-weight bearing for AT LEAST 6 - 8 weeks. @calicakes is much younger than I am, and I don’t know how she sustained her injury. I am 62, and I stepped on a small pile of acorns while walking my dog downhill, and all of my weight landed on my right ankle. It broke in the three places described above, and was dislocated in two planes. S L O W process for recovery. 

IMG_4532.jpeg

IMG_4533.jpeg

Perhaps you could charge the squirrels with negligence! I’ll bet you got some funny looks saying you had done all that damage on Acorns!

My worse injury was the time I took a group of teenagers to the Lake District when I was teaching. We abseiled cliffs, rock climbed, caved and did water sports then I shattered my shoulder (which needed replacing) by slipping on grass walking to my tent! This was three weeks before we had a three week family holiday booked to Florida followed by a Caribbean cruise…We were insured and claimed back. It was quite a job for my husband as we had booked flights, hotels, car hire independently. However, about six weeks later we did get our money. I can remember feeling upset about missing the holiday but it was never the end of the world! My injury left me with ongoing limited arm movement but I was grateful to have received the best treatment available…I can’t remember ever worrying or caring about cruise points!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DingoMom said:

IMG_4532.jpeg

IMG_4533.jpeg

You may want to remove your name and location...

• Thanks 1

@DingoMom, mine was also caused by dogs.  Slammed into from behind( while I was talking to another dog owner) at our local dog park.  I felt it, felt my leg twist behind and my ankle "pop".  

The first words out of my mouth after screaming in pain were " We can't go to Australia".   My wife said " Oh, they'll just pop it back into place".  Yeah, if it were only that easy.  

You had more plates/screws that I do.  I had 1 plate and 8 screws and a tightrope across the bones.   Are you planning on leaving the hardware in?

• Like 2