Why is RC still going to Labadee?

On 3/12/2024 at 6:49 AM, Tree_skier said:

I'm heading to downtown Los Angeles tonight...  Keep me in your prayers. 🙂 

At least it's not Chicago 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

“That implies that it is inherently dangerous to be at Labadee and that we know this danger is going to become a reality.  

That is pure fiction.  Sensationalism and just plain wrong.”

Well….lets wait and see! Although, I expect the terms used will be more along the lines of: “Out of an abundance of caution; Safety is always our first priority; To ensure guest and crew safety (they used this one today already!) 

When the foreign offices of major governments are recommending that citizens don’t travel there (even to the bits rented to foreign shipping companies,) that is information that can be used to help make informed decisions. Those decisions are then for the individual, all assuming the cruise line is still prepared to consider the risk acceptable. 

1 hour ago, CSHS1979 said:

He's not wrong

Screenshot_20240313_123248_Maps.jpg.e6b09c2f12c7bab737bf9ee54fbcbc6f.jpg

Screenshot_20240313_123317_Maps.jpg.e28d00dd468ce475016fb0e833ec94cb.jpg

ok… please let me know when they launch an invasion of Labadee from Cap-Haitien…

he just looked on google maps and said “look!! What’s that town closer to Labadee than Port Au Prince??!!!” It’s the well known staging point for a Labadee invasion!!!”

not ever gonna happen no matter how much hyperbole and overreaction ppl have 

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

I have sen medevac there twice, the land right on the pier 

And then take the injured/sick person where?  A hospital in Haiti?

I get that RCL can isolate it's customers to the secured area (for the most part).  But what happens if someone gets really sick and needs immediate hospitalization?  Now the nearest hospital is no longer an option - would have to be something in the DR.

Edited by gone_cruisin

On 3/12/2024 at 1:45 PM, UNCFanatik said:

ok… please let me know when they launch an invasion of Labadee from Cap-Haitien…

he just looked on google maps and said “look!! What’s that town closer to Labadee than Port Au Prince??!!!” It’s the well known staging point for a Labadee invasion!!!”

Mainly pointing out it's not an island

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 3/12/2024 at 1:49 PM, gone_cruisin said:

I get that RCL can isolate it's customers to the secured area (for the most part).  But what happens if someone gets really sick and needs immediate hospitalization?  Now the nearest hospital is no longer an option - would have to be something in the DR.

San Juan, or maybe Guantanamo. Crew on helo can stabilize on the way.

Kinda doubt they would have taken someone to Haitian hospital before the current situation 😕 

Edited by CSHS1979
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, UNCFanatik said:

They don't need to invade. Once BBQ gang overpowers the Haitian police and captures Port An Prince, they will become the next government and own the entire country including Labadee.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If nothing else I think this is becoming an insurance issue with many companies. Cruise line, employees, travel insurance for passengers, etc. 

I also personally believe the danger is not worth it. The endless debates about "what would a bunch of prisoners on the loose want with the ship? The buffet etc?" Is also laughable. You are putting logic into prisoners on the loose and a country full of frightened starving people. There is no logic to there future actions. Prisoners and civilians alike. The only place with food, medicine, money, and transportation (including life boats). Desperate people do unpredictable things. Eventually they will realize the Royal ship docked is the last place for all those things, then they will come. Not worth a few hours at the beach. Plenty of other places to go. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, gone_cruisin said:

And that hospital in the DR would still be much closer to you in Labadee than a hospital would be on sea days or most nights on the ship or when you are in remote ports like Costa Maya...

3 hours ago, DennysDad said:

If nothing else I think this is becoming an insurance issue with many companies. Cruise line, employees, travel insurance for passengers, etc. 

I also personally believe the danger is not worth it. The endless debates about "what would a bunch of prisoners on the loose want with the ship? The buffet etc?" Is also laughable. You are putting logic into prisoners on the loose and a country full of frightened starving people. There is no logic to there future actions. Prisoners and civilians alike. The only place with food, medicine, money, and transportation (including life boats). Desperate people do unpredictable things. Eventually they will realize the Royal ship docked is the last place for all those things, then they will come. Not worth a few hours at the beach. Plenty of other places to go. 

Everyone has to make their own decision with this if the sailings continue according to their circumstances - cancel the cruise, stay on the ship

or carry on regardless.

Myself personally I’m just an average Joe from the UK the wrong side of 50 but I’m not going to be intimidated by lawless thugs.

On our sailing if it calls at Labadee 100% I’m getting off to spend the day there. Foolhardy it may be and I respect everyone else’s decision but that’s the way it is for me.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, gone_cruisin said:

What do you think would have been the nearest hospital historically? I guarantee you it was in the DR; this situation changes nothing 

6 hours ago, sfaaa said:

They don't need to invade. Once BBQ gang overpowers the Haitian police and captures Port An Prince, they will become the next government and own the entire country including Labadee.

The gangs main goal it seems is the resignation of the current PM, which he just did yesterday. 

What comes next is the question. Will they have an election? 

And how does this affect Labadee? Do you really see a new government ending a lucrative deal with Royal that extends to 2050? 

10 hours ago, Nolefan95 said:

This isn’t misinformation. The 36 minutes isn’t even the nearest point of the closest big city Cap Haitien. 

The part that is misinformation is the totally implausible idea that Cap Haitien will be used as some staging point for an invasion of Labadee. You again are just grasping at straws. You just looked at google maps and said, "look there is a town that is a 35 minute drive from Labadee" 

Again, 2023 is when the US issued a do not travel advisory to Haiti. There has never been a risk that the population of Cap Haitien will storm Labadee nor is there one now. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, UNCFanatik said:

The gangs main goal it seems is the resignation of the current PM, which he just did yesterday. 

What comes next is the question. Will they have an election? 

And how does this affect Labadee? Do you really see a new government ending a lucrative deal with Royal that extends to 2050? 

Well, if he resigned, now they can move toward their real goal—laying siege on Labadee so they can ride the zip line. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Welcome to CC.

We’ve been to Labadee many times, and there has always been issues in Haiti.
Royal would never put their passengers in danger. Believe me I’m not blind to some of the things Royal does that I don’t agree with, but putting thousands of people in danger is never going to happen.

Royal changed the ports on our Holy land cruise last year only a week before we sailed due to the issues there and they managed to keep us safe, while providing us the cruise we all wanted. That had to be a huge effort, we weren’t the only cruise line or ship that was in the area.  But they did it. If they thought for a millionth of a second that Labadee was not secure, they would just skip the port and change to coco cay.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, not-enough-cruising said:

What do you think would have been the nearest hospital historically? I guarantee you it was in the DR; this situation changes nothing 

MedVac probably to another country close by if the situation warrants it.

6 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

MedVac probably to another country close by if the situation warrants it.

USCG had a presence at Guantanamo Bay until June 2023.  It was common to see their helos swing by Labadee for a look.  

Unsure if they still have any sort of presence now that their mission there has completed.  

On the Adventure docked at Labadee. Gangways are open.The captain just announced that the issues are 130 miles away in port au prince, that only staff and suppliers are allowed access to the area, and if we want to stay onboard that’s ok too… So Labadee is fully operational today. 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Pochi Hanaki said:

Yep the murders and r*pes were just to get rid of the PM. Those will all stop now. 

Of course they will continue but the latest uprising seemed to center around not allowing the PM to return to the country and forcing new election. 

no easy solutions to the mess in Haiti that has gone on for many years 

1 minute ago, watcher_62 said:

On the Adventure docked at Labadee. Gangways are open.The captain just announced that the issues are 130 miles away in port au prince, that only staff and suppliers are allowed access to the area, and if we want to stay onboard that’s ok too… So Labadee is fully operational today. 

but… but… Cape Haitian is just 35 miles away!!! Doesn’t the captain know about that staging point if the impending invasion of Labadee??!!!

1 hour ago, pyrateslife4me84 said:

Well, if he resigned, now they can move toward their real goal—laying siege on Labadee so they can ride the zip line. 

I'm pretty sure that we already established the goal to be commondere the jet skis and ride them to Miami with their stash of genuine Haitian souvenirs taken from the artisans. Let's stick with the facts.

• Like 2
  • Haha 8