Apex Infinite veranda

KBAJ

I just read a review that stated their "infinite veranda" was locked shut many days due to weather/winds. We are scheduled to be on the transatlantic cruise and am worried this might happen to us. My claustrophobia is already starting to kick in. Can someone please share their experiences - does this happen very often? TIA.

As the review you read stated, it does happen. I don’t think anyone can tell you any sort of statistic about how often, however. If the assurance that you can always open the window is important to you, perhaps the infinite veranda is not the best choice of stateroom for you.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, KBAJ said:

I just read a review that stated their "infinite veranda" was locked shut many days due to weather/winds. We are scheduled to be on the transatlantic cruise and am worried this might happen to us. My claustrophobia is already starting to kick in. Can someone please share their experiences - does this happen very often? TIA.

Once at sea it's totally weather dependent therefore no way of telling.

Perhaps you should also consider that all the time the window is open (even if you close the interior doors) the aircon in your cabin will be off.

In port it's likely to happen if the windows are due to be cleaned.

• Like 1

it is  very large window..Maybe it will not be an issue when closed.. Just like being inside a house except not under your control.. 

You would probaby  close your windows at home on a windy, rainy day.

.On a ship there is also sometimes  wind  from movement

• Like 1

It sure depends on when and where you sail.
We have done 5 cruises on E class so far. The window was locked for a total of maybe 3 days of all these cruises combined. And then only a few hours when there was heavy rain or so.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, KBAJ said:

Even if the window is closed, you are able to keep the doors to the verandah open 24/7 so you can look out at the sea all the time as well as being able to sit on the verandah to enjoy the view.  

• Like 2

I doubt you will suffer when the window is closed.   The IV concept actually gives you extra space in the room and functions as a very large picture window looking out over the ocean when you are sea (or the neighboring ship while in port ... )

• Like 1

8 hours ago, KBAJ said:

If you feel the need to have fresh air available at all times, don’t book the IV rooms.  You will likely always feel stressed, worried that the window might get locked at any time.

• Like 1

Thanks to all. You do make me feel a bit better. It was the only balcony type cabin available that we could afford. The true balconies seem to sell out VERY quickly... maybe something that Celebrity might notice?  Forewarned is forearmed, though and, at least I will be prepared mentally if it does happen. THANKS!!

10 minutes ago, KBAJ said:

Thanks to all. You do make me feel a bit better. It was the only balcony type cabin available that we could afford. The true balconies seem to sell out VERY quickly... maybe something that Celebrity might notice?  Forewarned is forearmed, though and, at least I will be prepared mentally if it does happen. THANKS!!

I think itinerary and work the ship needs like window cleaning really does factor in but on my 10 night cruise I never once had an issue opening it.

• Like 1

The regular balconies sell out rapidly on Apex because there are VERY few of them.

While my DW and I did not like the infinite veranda but the wall of glass did not feel closed in.

On our 14 day TA the window was locked closed all but 2 sea days.  Windy and rolling 5' seas.  Others reported never locked closed at all.

• Like 1

On 3/18/2024 at 1:17 PM, KBAJ said:

and the deluxe porthole balconies were all sold out?

On our Beyond TA, the IV was locked for a few days as we had a string of bad weather days last November.  On our Apex TA, we were in a SV and the IV’s were locked for a few days due to storms.  Our veranda furniture was brought in to the room.  

We did a transatlantic April of 2023 in an IV on the Beyond. Actually it worked out well. We liked it far better than we ever thought it would.  Like others have said it makes the room bigger and gives extra seating.  Our weather was pretty decent and during the day we were not in our room very much.  If the weather is lousy you probably would not be on a veranda either.  You can always step outside up on 14 or even on  deck 5 outside of Eden. 

On 3/17/2024 at 11:46 PM, KBAJ said:

I CAN happen but it is rare.

Have done 3 sailings in IV (albeit the Caribbean), never once locked.

If you are concerned, change to a Sunset Veranda or Suite.

One nice thing about IV is the floor to ceiling windows letting in lots of light.

On 3/17/2024 at 11:46 PM, KBAJ said:

I just read a review 

It's interesting that a single review has generated this much angst towards your sailing, given that most reviews state it's a minor inconvenience at worst.

3 hours ago, mauimary said:

We did a transatlantic April of 2023 in an IV on the Beyond. Actually it worked out well. We liked it far better than we ever thought it would.  Like others have said it makes the room bigger and gives extra seating.  Our weather was pretty decent and during the day we were not in our room very much.  If the weather is lousy you probably would not be on a veranda either.  You can always step outside up on 14 or even on  deck 5 outside of Eden. 

We have sat out on our traditional balcony every day for a minimum of 3 hours on every TA both East and West Bound.

I just can't imagine doing that on the low backed, non reclining chairs that are a feature of an IV cabin. Nor for that matter would we have space for our lunch which we also have on the balcony.

IV's seem perfect for passengers who like the idea of a balcony but don 't actually use it.

31 minutes ago, the penguins said:

We have sat out on our traditional balcony every day for a minimum of 3 hours on every TA both East and West Bound.

I just can't imagine doing that on the low backed, non reclining chairs that are a feature of an IV cabin. Nor for that matter would we have space for our lunch which we also have on the balcony.

IV's seem perfect for passengers who like the idea of a balcony but don 't actually use it.

That’s great that you use it.  We are usually in SV verandas ourselves.    Just saying for the Edge class that does not have that many standard balconies it can work. We made it work because we didn’t have any choice.  Definitely have to have the right mindset and understand it is not a traditional balcony.  During the day we were out and about and didn’t spend much time in our stateroom. We like to read so we would find a quiet place somewhere else. 

46 minutes ago, mauimary said:

That’s great that you use it.  We are usually in SV verandas ourselves.    Just saying for the Edge class that does not have that many standard balconies it can work. We made it work because we didn’t have any choice.  Definitely have to have the right mindset and understand it is not a traditional balcony.  During the day we were out and about and didn’t spend much time in our stateroom. We like to read so we would find a quiet place somewhere else. 

I like your attitude - it works by not using it.

• Haha 1