A strange/ dumb question on corkage fees?

😅 We plan to bring onboard two bottles of wine that were given to us as presents. Being lightweights, a drink package would be wasted on us. A glass of wine with our dinner is more our speed. Here's the question though. I understand that we can be expected to pay corkage when we first open a bottle of our own wine in the dining room but what happens If we don't finish the bottle in one sitting? Would we be charged a second corkage fee for having it again the next day in the dining room? 

On a related note, are we able to sign up for a non-alcoholic, classic or premium drink package towards the end of our cruise if let's say, we just wanted to try it out for a day? Would we both have to sign up for the same package?

Any insights or advice would be much appreciated. 

Corkage fee only once. They can store the wine for you. in the dining room for the next night. I believe you can open the bottles in your cabin and carry a glass into the dining room to avoid the corkage fee altogether. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, ilovefriday said:

😅 We plan to bring onboard two bottles of wine that were given to us as presents. . I understand that we can be expected to pay corkage when we first open a bottle of our own wine in the dining room e same package?  Any insights or advice would be much appreciated. 

Or, you can open the bottle in your room and take glasses of wine to the dining room without a corkage fee.  😊

• Like 6

50 minutes ago, ilovefriday said:

😅 We plan to bring onboard two bottles of wine that were given to us as presents. Being lightweights, a drink package would be wasted on us. A glass of wine with our dinner is more our speed. Here's the question though. I understand that we can be expected to pay corkage when we first open a bottle of our own wine in the dining room but what happens If we don't finish the bottle in one sitting? Would we be charged a second corkage fee for having it again the next day in the dining room? 

On a related note, are we able to sign up for a non-alcoholic, classic or premium drink package towards the end of our cruise if let's say, we just wanted to try it out for a day? Would we both have to sign up for the same package?

Any insights or advice would be much appreciated. 

As 39august mentioned, the dining room will store any unused wine for you.  And it can be brought to your table even if you are eating in a different restaurant.

• Thanks 1

We got charged a corkage fee and we did not even bring wine into the dining room!  Obviously someone else’s charge so the real party may not even have been charged!!!

19 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

And you both have to sign up for it.

I see. Does it have to be the same package for both? Or could I opt for the non-alcoholic and my other half, the classic or premium? 

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, mauimary said:

We got charged a corkage fee and we did not even bring wine into the dining room!  Obviously someone else’s charge so the real party may not even have been charged!!!

Oh dear! How much was the corkage? Hope you managed to get it refunded. 

Edited by ilovefriday

21 hours ago, awhfy said:

You have to have 3 days left in your cruise to purchase a beverage package 

Oh darn. Three days may be a bit much for a trial run. I can see myself being rolled off the ship after a free flow of lattes, smoothies, pina colada and margaritas! 😝

9 minutes ago, ilovefriday said:

Thanks, everyone, for the valuable information! Just out of curiosity, is it common to see passengers walking around with a glass of wine in their hands? 

Absolutely!  And every other libation 😊

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

I believe you both need to be on the same package(s) in order to prevent you both from sharing each one. 

I guessed as much. Oh well. Thanks for the info though! 

11 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

I believe you both need to be on the same package(s) in order to prevent you both from sharing each one. 

That is incorrect. My wife can not drink alcohol ( being diabetic), so she gets the premium non, I on the other hand drink enough for both of us...thus the premium pkg.  You have to call to accomplish this. Have done this on many cruises.

cheers

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, highway180 said:

That is incorrect. My wife can not drink alcohol ( being diabetic), so she gets the premium non, I on the other hand drink enough for both of us...thus the premium pkg.  You have to call to accomplish this. Have done this on many cruises.

cheers

Thanks for clarifying.  I know it varies by cruise line and that these policies have changed over time.  Apparently I am incorrect regarding this with Celebrity and appreciate the correction.  I was going to suggest that they call to confirm - that seems to be the correct approach.  

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Thanks for clarifying.  I know it varies by cruise line and that these policies have changed over time.  Apparently I am incorrect regarding this with Celebrity and appreciate the correction.  I was going to suggest that they call to confirm - that seems to be the correct approach.  

For a while they kinda made a big deal about it, saying you had to a medical reason, making people assume they needed a doctors note and such, but found out early on that all we had to do is call...no note needed.

Cheers

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, ilovefriday said:

Oh dear! How much was the corkage? Hope you managed to get it refunded. 

I believe it was $25.  We went to guest relations and they removed it. Another reason to check your account every day. Much easier to get it removed on the ship. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Please see the response by @highway180 correcting me.  I apparently am mistaken about this with Celebrity.

Generally it’s true, even though there are circumstances where it isn’t.  

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ilovefriday said:

Just out of curiosity, is it common to see passengers walking around with a glass of wine in their hands? 

Well, it is normal for me.  😁🍷

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, ilovefriday said:

Just out of curiosity, is it common to see passengers walking around with a glass of wine in their hands? 

Not any less common than a beer, or a Truly, or a cocktail, or an empty glass on its way for a refill..........

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/21/2024 at 9:36 AM, ilovefriday said:

Thanks, everyone, for the valuable information! Just out of curiosity, is it common to see passengers walking around with a glass of wine in their hands? 

I have always done it.

• Like 1

On 3/21/2024 at 9:36 AM, ilovefriday said:

One of the first things I do when we get onboard is stop by one of the bars and ask for two wine glasses for the room.  Very common request I'm sure since people bring wine on board and would now like to have something to drink it out of.  So it follows that the glass of wine you are now carrying to dinner looks exactly like a glass of wine you just bought at one of the bars. It certainly doesn't look unusual in the least.

• Like 1