Live! Radiance of the Seas - Panama Canal cruise - April 8, 2024

Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, Teeara said:

She just went through a 3 week drydock, so we’re hoping for some new ship smell, too.  Some work was done inside the ship as well as outside.

Radiance has the smell of new Carpet and wood stain around the Ship. Was on Brilliance and Serenade right after major Dry Docks where they waited and did paint, staining, ect for weeks after Dry Dock. They did great job on Radiance. lot of open deck areas repainted multiple halls and Lounges with new Carpet. Part I hate is had to pack up today and Change Cabins tomorrow. On thing forget to mention on Roll Call thread is the poolside giant TV monitor was removed, they haven't replaced it yet. They have scaffolding under the mount so maybe getting new one up tomorrow. Also not sure if this is Ship wide change but has been no News Channels on in cabin TV's last 2 Radiance Cruises

Edited by ONECRUISER
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Teeara said:

As for Alaska, my mom and I went during Covid in 2021, rented a car in Anchorage and did a 6 day road trip up to Fairbanks.  It was fantastic.  

47 years ago, I road in the back seat of a Plymouth Fury III from the Philly area to Palmer, AK (north of Anchorage).  Many stops in the mid west thru Canada.  Stayed with relatives in AK.  Did trips to Anchorage, Homer, Denali (Mt. McKinley at the time), and Fairbanks.

We flew home (my first airline flight - Northwest Orient 747).  Other relatives flew to AK to drive the car home.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

47 years ago, I road in the back seat of a Plymouth Fury III from the Philly area to Palmer, AK (north of Anchorage).  Many stops in the mid west thru Canada.  Stayed with relatives in AK.  Did trips to Anchorage, Homer, Denali (Mt. McKinley at the time), and Fairbanks.

We flew home (my first airline flight - Northwest Orient 747).  Other relatives flew to AK to drive the car home.

Cool story!

42 minutes ago, cruiselover04 said:

No we won’t be. Have a wonderful meal. 

Jenni

Bummer!  There’s more of us than are showing in this photo.

IMG_4378.jpeg

• Like 4

This is on my bucket list as well, so I will be following along.  In 2003, I sailed into and then back out of Gatun Lake, round trip from Galveston on Splendor of the seas, but have never gone all of the way thru.  

Love, love Radiance, she is one of my favorite ships.  I sailed on her again last August, for an Alaska cruise .  Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 1

We are going to be on the Jewel August TA after that ones dry dock., We were wondering if there are any changes inside the cabins.  I would love to hear that the mattresses had been replaced and maybe the sofas.  Since the Jewel and Radiance are in the same class, I am hoping you can tell us about the dry dock in some detail.  Thanks and Bon Voyage.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, SHIP TRAVELER said:

We are going to be on the Jewel August TA after that ones dry dock., We were wondering if there are any changes inside the cabins.  I would love to hear that the mattresses had been replaced and maybe the sofas.  Since the Jewel and Radiance are in the same class, I am hoping you can tell us about the dry dock in some detail.  Thanks and Bon Voyage.

When is the Jewel scheduled for dry dock?

3 hours ago, ONECRUISER said:

Radiance has the smell of new Carpet and wood stain around the Ship. Was on Brilliance and Serenade right after major Dry Docks where they waited and did paint, staining, ect for weeks after Dry Dock. They did great job on Radiance. lot of open deck areas repainted multiple halls and Lounges with new Carpet. Part I hate is had to pack up today and Change Cabins tomorrow. On thing forget to mention on Roll Call thread is the poolside giant TV monitor was removed, they haven't replaced it yet. They have scaffolding under the mount so maybe getting new one up tomorrow. Also not sure if this is Ship wide change but has been no News Channels on in cabin TV's last 2 Radiance Cruises

Mattress report? 

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

4/21-5/13. 

Thanks.  Did a little googling and realized it must be then. We board on 8/10 for 2 cruises.  That will be nice.

2 hours ago, Teeara said:

Bummer!  There’s more of us than are showing in this photo.

IMG_4378.jpeg

It’s great to see a group like this get together for a pre cruise dinner. I’m sure you will have a great cruise. I will definitely be following along. 🛳️😎

• Like 2

So today we slept in a little later since we had been up for nearly 24 hours before hitting the hay.

Today we were going to the Tampa Bay History Museum and then dinner at Hattricks with our roll call gang.

IMG_4011.thumb.jpeg.9baa62a15bb518fddaf67b80a3ed1b4e.jpeg

We aren’t fans of graffiti art, but we sure did like this chalk version we saw on our walk to the museum.

IMG_4016.thumb.jpeg.96859266e6953fa01b35469f7d713c5b.jpeg

We walked past the arena and found this fun sculpture at the entrance.

IMG_4023.thumb.jpeg.db03a00184d281a35bac8e151c81d37e.jpeg

We made it!  Now we just need to cross the street.

IMG_4024.thumb.jpeg.62100ab4c9e20d88cc950fe21b07cd21.jpeg

These transparent signs were in front of the entrance.

IMG_4034.thumb.jpeg.39ba0040cfaa10546b2d8c034a0a9cc9.jpeg

The museum did an excellent job of detailing how the Spanish explorers came to Florida and devastated the natives.

IMG_4037.thumb.jpeg.b3c0e842546d54b07ffd99734edbf83a.jpeg

There were several movies and dioramas that were of short duration, but were loaded with lots of information (and were quite entertaining).

IMG_4118.thumb.jpeg.efa20cb84789fb8d83d536a287df1719.jpeg

Pam caught a big fish!  😉😁

IMG_4165.thumb.jpeg.a2196b7da9e3124baeb69ce5a9caef1f.jpeg

I wanted to take this window home.

IMG_4164.thumb.jpeg.c2f6b0ea001098c0f6f52a009e1596d5.jpeg

There be pirates here!

IMG_4252.thumb.jpeg.380b34382e475b3463fbf096918ce5a5.jpeg

There was a nice observation deck, too.  Carnival Pride is in the distance.  My very first cruise in 2002 was onboard the Pride.

IMG_4363.thumb.jpeg.690762e13b3b882e4454ed1ba058fcf5.jpeg

During our walk back to the hotel we walked through a small park and found these beautiful stone benches with art on the back supports.  We’ve been impressed with the amount of public art on display throughout the downtown area.

Then it was time for our roll call dinner.  

IMG_4379.thumb.jpeg.06b84fa9f19d8ee745796924ae0fd548.jpeg

IMG_4380.thumb.jpeg.8ff3e7d1eafa3e872e581f67a46b12e9.jpeg

IMG_4381.thumb.jpeg.2ed47f583f1c8ff1d500c50948dd31f1.jpeg

IMG_4234.jpeg

IMG_4378.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, SHIP TRAVELER said:

Sister ship Serenade had all her mattresses replaced for WC.   I had heard they were very, very firm.   I opted to bring a highly compressed 1.5 inch foam topper on board for our 1st quarter WC...and was so happy I did.  Well worth dragging on the extra duffle bag.  Their mattress was like a rock!!  😮 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, island lady said:

Sister ship Serenade had all her mattresses replaced for WC.   I had heard they were very, very firm.   I opted to bring a highly compressed 1.5 inch foam topper on board for our 1st quarter WC...and was so happy I did.  Well worth dragging on the extra duffle bag.  Their mattress was like a rock!!  😮 

😂 I think we had the same cabin (we sailed the Panama Canal in November), and I found the bed comfortable! I suppose it just goes to show how difficult it is to satisfy everyone.

I do think they should have replaced one of the bathroom sinks. Every time I was brushing my teeth, I noticed the crack.

• Like 2