pre-cruise transfer

Here's the situation: we are flying into Amsterdam 2 days prior to our cruise departing from Rotterdam. If we stay in Amsterdam, could we make our way back to the airport on the morning of the cruise to take advantage of the HAL airport transfer to the cruise terminal in Rotterdam?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, grannyshell said:

Here's the situation: we are flying into Amsterdam 2 days prior to our cruise departing from Rotterdam. If we stay in Amsterdam, could we make our way back to the airport on the morning of the cruise to take advantage of the HAL airport transfer to the cruise terminal in Rotterdam?

I cannot speak to Amsterdam (I'm sure someone will), but I have done this from several different cities w/o issue.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I know you didn't ask but have you considered taking the train from Amsterdam to Rotterdam and a taxi to the cruise terminal?  I expect it will be less expensive, faster and eliminate hassles of changes at AMS.

Edited by d9704011

I've never done what you propose in Amsterdam, but I have done it in several other cities. 
The big difference is that I have stayed near the airport, so getting back there was relatively easy. In Amsterdam, however, you are quite a ride away; I expect you would rather stay in Amsterdam itself, and be a tourist for those two days. 

The mechanics of returning to the airport are fairly easy. You let HAL think you are arriving that morning, giving your flight number and time, just two days after you actually did arrive. 
Your taxi will drop you off at departures, and you will have to make your way to arrivals to meet up with the HAL reps. 

If I were in Amsterdam, sailing from Rotterdam, I would find it easier to hire a car to drive me. Less moving from one transportation to another, and less time needed to accomplish the goal. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

It's not a problem at all, there is a bus #397 about  $12 per person 20 min ride  leaves every 7 minutes from the Airport. and you can use your credit card to pay. It  runs from the airport to center City stoping at many hotels and in reverse back to the airport. 

I forgot $12 is round trip 

Edited by Gail & Marty sailing away

I want to second the recommendation to take the train from Amsterdam Centraal directly to Rotterdam, then taxi (or tram) from the train station to the ship.  It's inexpensive (far less expensive than HAL's transfer option), simple, and certainly faster than working your way to the airport, finding the HAL representatives, and busing to the ship.

Do you not have enough money for a taxi from your hotel to the ship? Why would you add hours to getting on the ship and huge hassles of loading luggage and people on a bus? They also don't let buses go until they have enough people to fill one, so you might be sitting in the airport waiting for flights to arrive, instead of being on the ship. If you want an even more pleasant time, stay in Haarlem the night before your cruise, which is a lot cheaper and less crowded than Amsterdam and has a lovely downtown. It's also closer to the cruise port than Amsterdam or the airport. When I took a Rick Steves tour, we stayed in Haarlem and just took the train to Amsterdam, which was cheap and easy. 

6 hours ago, rj59 said:

Do you not have enough money for a taxi from your hotel to the ship? Why would you add hours to getting on the ship and huge hassles of loading luggage and people on a bus? They also don't let buses go until they have enough people to fill one, so you might be sitting in the airport waiting for flights to arrive, instead of being on the ship. If you want an even more pleasant time, stay in Haarlem the night before your cruise, which is a lot cheaper and less crowded than Amsterdam and has a lovely downtown. It's also closer to the cruise port than Amsterdam or the airport. When I took a Rick Steves tour, we stayed in Haarlem and just took the train to Amsterdam, which was cheap and easy. 

IMO, this is a very rude response.  A taxi would run 210  - 260 euros.  I have to budget in order to cruise,  and would not choose to spend that much of my travel funds on one transfer when there are other less expensive alternatives. 

• Like 3

22 hours ago, grannyshell said:

Yes, 

That is what my wife and I are doing. Yes, there are cheaper ways, but I find it less stressful to let Holland take care of me. We stay at the Airport as we find it is easy to get around the city from there during our pre cruise days.

Just prebook the transfer so they have you on the list at the airport.

• Like 5

Last I spoke with HAL about this transfer they indicated there would be a pick up at the Movenpick Hotel which I have enjoyed staying at.  Please write or call them and check if this is not an available option.  If so the taxi ride or Uber will be far cheaper than going to the airport .  

• Like 2

23 hours ago, grannyshell said:

Other choices

1 hour ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

On 4/8/2024 at 1:33 AM, grannyshell said:

We’re doing almost the same and will get the HAL transfer.  We arrive 3 days before our cruise and are staying outside of Amsterdam. I would normally just get a train to Rotterdam and then a taxi to the ship, however on the embarkation day it’s the Kings Day holiday so we’re not taking chances with taxis, etc. 

We’ve booked a HAL transfer from Schipol to the ship so will get the train back to Schipol and meet at the Meeting Point as instructed by HAL. 😃

• Like 1

On 4/7/2024 at 9:09 PM, RuthC said:

I've never done what you propose in Amsterdam, but I have done it in several other cities. 
The big difference is that I have stayed near the airport, so getting back there was relatively easy. In Amsterdam, however, you are quite a ride away; I expect you would rather stay in Amsterdam itself, and be a tourist for those two days. 

The mechanics of returning to the airport are fairly easy. You let HAL think you are arriving that morning, giving your flight number and time, just two days after you actually did arrive. 
Your taxi will drop you off at departures, and you will have to make your way to arrivals to meet up with the HAL reps. 

If I were in Amsterdam, sailing from Rotterdam, I would find it easier to hire a car to drive me. Less moving from one transportation to another, and less time needed to accomplish the goal. 

If we let HAL think we are arriving that morning, but have arranged airfare with Flight Ease, will that cause a problem...will they be able to see that we in fact arrived days earlier?

13 minutes ago, grannyshell said:

If we let HAL think we are arriving that morning, but have arranged airfare with Flight Ease, will that cause a problem...will they be able to see that we in fact arrived days earlier?

It's not an issue. I've used their transfer several times when we've come in early.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, grannyshell said:

If you are using Flight Ease, you cannot change your arrival time. Flight Ease feeds it into your booked flights section. (It should, anyway.)

The advice to pre-book the transfer from the airport is solid. You will want to be on the transfer list.

I don't know how you booked, but talk to that person - or, if you booked online, call HAL. Tell the person to look up the pick up times and location on the Guest Logistics Transfer Summary for Rotterdam. The Guest Logistics Transfer Summary is the master reference for all the embarkation / disembarkation ports. (Aka turnaround ports.)

They should be able to tell you where to meet the bus, times to meet, and transit times. You cannot always meet the bus at the HAL hotels if you aren't booking the hotel through HAL. However, the person should be able to look up all the pick up points for you.

The airport is always a pick up point or drop off point.

If you get someone who knows what they're doing, they should be able to answer you pretty quickly. By telling the person to use the Guest Logistics Transfer Summary for Rotterdam, you're telling them exactly where to look.

Edited by POA1
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

We will be sailing on N.S. From Rotterdam, no flights booked however we (would be) are able to book transfers see attached. 
The transfers can be booked separately wether you have booked with Flightease or not, I think this is exactly what the Op is looking for.

IMG_1239.thumb.png.9bdf5673fb8ed7a2e01a1423ceeda03c.png

Edited by cruiseaholic78
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, cruiseaholic78 said:

We will be sailing on N.S. From Rotterdam, no flights booked however we (would be) are able to book transfers see attached. 
The transfers can be booked separately wether you have booked with Flightease or not, I think this is exactly what the Op is looking for.

IMG_1239.thumb.png.9bdf5673fb8ed7a2e01a1423ceeda03c.png

Hi. Just to confirm we booked our own flights. We made HAL aware of this and they gave us the location and pick up time at the meeting point. 👍

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, grannyshell said:

No.

We typically booked through flight ease and arrive two days early and booked our transfer with HAL. All we ever do is when we arrive look for a HAL rep and ask what time we should check in for the transfer on cruise day. On the few occasions we did not see a rep when we have arrived early, we just show up at the airport between 8 and 9.

FWIW we will be flying into Amsterdam a day early and staying at the Hotel NH Amsterdam Schiphol Airport located at the airport. This way we just have to wake up the next morning, walk over and catch our pre-booked transfer to the ship. The only difference is that we will be catching the Celebrity transfer rather than the HAL airport transfer.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

FWIW we will be flying into Amsterdam a day early and staying at the Hotel NH Amsterdam Schiphol Airport located at the airport. This way we just have to wake up the next morning, walk over and catch our pre-booked transfer to the ship. The only difference is that we will be catching the Celebrity transfer rather than the HAL airport transfer.

Ken, NH Hotel Amsterdam Airport is not within walking distance of the terminals.  It is in the Hoofddorp area and will require taxi or shuttle bus to the airport. (Make sure you get on the correct shuttle and not the shuttle to Schiphol Rijk business area!).  I have stayed there numerous times.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, VMax1700 said:

Ken, NH Hotel Amsterdam Airport is not within walking distance of the terminals.  It is in the Hoofddorp area and will require taxi or shuttle bus to the airport. (Make sure you get on the correct shuttle and not the shuttle to Schiphol Rijk business area!).  I have stayed there numerous times.

Thanks for the heads up! 

1 hour ago, VMax1700 said:

Agree.

Have also stayed there. You will enjoy the and the area around it. 

15 hours ago, POA1 said:

If you are using Flight Ease, you cannot change your arrival time. Flight Ease feeds it into your booked flights section. (It should, anyway.)

The advice to pre-book the transfer from the airport is solid. You will want to be on the transfer list.

I don't know how you booked, but talk to that person - or, if you booked online, call HAL. Tell the person to look up the pick up times and location on the Guest Logistics Transfer Summary for Rotterdam. The Guest Logistics Transfer Summary is the master reference for all the embarkation / disembarkation ports. (Aka turnaround ports.)

They should be able to tell you where to meet the bus, times to meet, and transit times. You cannot always meet the bus at the HAL hotels if you aren't booking the hotel through HAL. However, the person should be able to look up all the pick up points for you.

The airport is always a pick up point or drop off point.

If you get someone who knows what they're doing, they should be able to answer you pretty quickly. By telling the person to use the Guest Logistics Transfer Summary for Rotterdam, you're telling them exactly where to look.

Amazing level of detail. Thank you so much for this, for now and future reference. The breadth and depth of knowledge of folks here on this forum is impressive.