Do you Appreciate Cruise Critic's Openness to Opposing Views as Much as I Do?

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, clo said:

And there are people who "offend" too easily IMO

And those who get offended too easily I suppose. 

I sure agree that these forums are wide open when it comes to viewpoints.  Even the wrong ones that don't agree with mine.  😀   I've never been part of one of the groups mentioned, so can't comment other than I'm sorry to hear they are so heavily filtered.  

I also agree the Mod's do a terrific job.     

Edited by ldubs
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, SelectSys said:

In addition to simply sharing viewpoints, I have found these boards to be very useful in answering questions, helping improve my overall travel experience and sometimes even save money.

And they can even be helpful when not doing a cruise. In it was either 2021 or 2022, we did a land vacation in Boston. I asked in the East Coast forum how to get from the airport to our hotel and got really specific directions that worked perfectly.

10 hours ago, ldubs said:
15 hours ago, clo said:

And there are people who "offend" too easily IMO

And those who get offended too easily I suppose. 

I actually meant what you wrote. So it could have been "who get offended too easily."

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ontheweb said:

And they can even be helpful when not doing a cruise. In it was either 2021 or 2022, we did a land vacation in Boston. I asked in the East Coast forum how to get from the airport to our hotel and got really specific directions that worked perfectly.

CC is excellent for travel recommendations, reviews, logistics and so on.  I enjoy those topics myself.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ontheweb said:

And they can even be helpful when not doing a cruise.

100% in agreement.  I have found the cruise air forum to be especially helpful as just about all my travel involves one or more flights.

6 hours ago, ontheweb said:

2 hours ago, Mary229 said:

CC is excellent for travel recommendations, reviews, logistics and so on.  I enjoy those topics myself.  

2 hours ago, SelectSys said:

100% in agreement.  I have found the cruise air forum to be especially helpful as just about all my travel involves one or more flights.

So true; it's not only for "cruising"!

Several (many?) of the topics on CC can be very useful to those not cruising, or not even interested at all in cruising.

And who knows, by doing some browsing, maybe an occasional person not previous thinking about cruising... will decide it might sound interesting after all.  But if not, that doesn't matter, of course.

On another forum, I sometimes recommend that the person asking a question also read or post on CC (and give a link, etc.) about that topic, mentioning something like "a lot of the issues are not cruise specific".

This is especially true of air travel, travel insurance, traveling with a disability, and local sightseeing/tours in various locations (ports of call).  The latter can be useful for local guides or local hotels, or even suggestions for before/after cruises.

CruiseCritic is an incredible resource!

GC

• Like 3

19 hours ago, clo said:

I actually meant what you wrote. So it could have been "who get offended too easily."

I think that we all can get offended from time to time because of sarcastic responses to something that we have said, or from people who disagree with our opinion.

I have talked about this before.  Textual based communication is often mis-interpreted because it lacks the vocal tone, inflection, body language and all other cues that we take for granted in face-to-face communication.

The person that just replied with a comment to one of my posts can boil my blood, but what I don't know because the reply is so short is whether they are joking or serious.  If joking, then great, but if serious then you have just completely offended me.

One post recently that I left the reply alone and did not counter was a short response that in my part of the world carries the connotation of a four letter work starting with F and a You after it. I work in 8 global countries and what is offensive to me may not be in another country.  Some sayings or words that I may use may offend the Australians, but not folks from the UK.  For this reason I walk away from many things and consider the source.

I just walk away from anything that I consider to be offensive to me because it may only be offensive to me.  There are discussions that get way out of hand with debates that don't benefit anyone.  These ones I just tend to walk by.

Perhaps I am too easily offended but I still appreciate that the vast majority of people on this site are very respectful of others and the information and learning gained from Cruise Critic is of huge value.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

I think that we all can get offended from time to time because of sarcastic responses to something that we have said, or from people who disagree with our opinion.

I have talked about this before.  Textual based communication is often mis-interpreted because it lacks the vocal tone, inflection, body language and all other cues that we take for granted in face-to-face communication.

The person that just replied with a comment to one of my posts can boil my blood, but what I don't know because the reply is so short is whether they are joking or serious.  If joking, then great, but if serious then you have just completely offended me.

One post recently that I left the reply alone and did not counter was a short response that in my part of the world carries the connotation of a four letter work starting with F and a You after it. I work in 8 global countries and what is offensive to me may not be in another country.  Some sayings or words that I may use may offend the Australians, but not folks from the UK.  For this reason I walk away from many things and consider the source.

I just walk away from anything that I consider to be offensive to me because it may only be offensive to me.  There are discussions that get way out of hand with debates that don't benefit anyone.  These ones I just tend to walk by.

Perhaps I am too easily offended but I still appreciate that the vast majority of people on this site are very respectful of others and the information and learning gained from Cruise Critic is of huge value.

I couldn't agree with you more...and would like to elect you to Czar of CC!

I am the object of some of those replies and honestly believe that they're intended to be offensive. Recently I've reported a couple and they were actually removed. Enough said and thanks.

24 minutes ago, clo said:

I am the object of some of those replies and honestly believe that they're intended to be offensive. Recently I've reported a couple and they were actually removed. Enough said and thanks.

Yes, I can be "harsh" sometimes and was more so in the past and have had some posts removed.  Now I just look the other way, count to 10 and convince myself that the person meant well and if I was speaking to them in-person I would hear the sarcasm in their voice.  (Even though I know it's not sarcasm). Walking away is the better thing to do.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, clo said:

I am a bit of a sarcastic person at times and was always leaving an emoji to indicate the response was in jest until someone called me out for being a “grown woman using comic features”. Not that I cared that much what they said but it did reduce my use of emojis temporarily 😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators
On 4/13/2024 at 4:01 PM, CDNPolar said:

I

On 4/13/2024 at 2:01 PM, mnocket said:

It has made me appreciate Cruise Critic even more.  Sure, there are fanboys and loyalists here, but they don't dominate the forums shutting down dissenting opinions. The good, the bad and the ugly are discussed freely. Comparisons to other cruise lines are always welcome. My foray into FB has been eye-opening.  Kudos to Cruise Critic for welcoming a diversity of thought.  Something that is becoming rarer these days.

End of rant.

On 4/13/2024 at 4:01 PM, CDNPolar said:

I

The folks that look after Cruise Critic are top in their game and I love that you can have opposing views and still be part of the discussion.

On 4/13/2024 at 5:41 PM, Aquahound said:

I dumped Facebook 4 years ago for reasons just like this.  There is too much power to control narratives.  Altering opinions, regardless of how true they are, quickly get erased.  

Yes, I totally appreciate Cruise Critic.  🙂

On 4/13/2024 at 9:11 PM, GeezerCouple said:

And then, almost suddenly (??), it seemed that things were SO much more pleasant!

HUGE difference.  It was really a nice change.

I have no idea if I'm alone in this opinion, or if others noticed a change several years ago, too...?

I give the moderators a huge amount of credit for this, and thank them! 🙂 

Anyway, it is a pleasure now.  The collective knowledge here has been invaluable!

THANK YOU, ALL!

GC

On 4/14/2024 at 4:44 AM, sparks1093 said:

. The Cruise Critic moderators do a fantastic job and there aren't enough positive posts about this group of volunteers.

On 4/14/2024 at 4:48 PM, SeaSickCecil said:

Just wanted to add my thanks to the moderators for running a fun, informative and engaging site to exchange info on what has turned out to be my favorite form of vacation.  I found CC after my first 'adult' (meaning it wasn't put together by my father or my in law) cruise and was looking for info to enhance my next cruise.  The willingness of people to answer questions even if they've been asked and answered 3000 times before and even the cheerleaders and naysayers all make for engaging interaction here.  And let me add to the Facebook blow back...I joined a ship specific group to ask questions because it was a newer ship and I hadn't sailed on it and wanted some 'insider' info.  Had to be vetted and approved before being 'accepted'...asked one question and mentioned that I had heard this info on CC, was it true...and was banned.  Mods said I could 're-apply' in 3 days.  I decided then that they were not welcoming and didn't want anyone who might question their 'expertise'.  Never went back, not even to lurk.  So thank you Cruise Critic and all who make this a place I come back to day after day.

On 4/14/2024 at 10:51 PM, SelectSys said:

In addition to simply sharing viewpoints, I have found these boards to be very useful in answering questions, helping improve my overall travel experience and sometimes even save money.

On 4/15/2024 at 12:40 AM, ldubs said:

I also agree the Mod's do a terrific job.     

On 4/15/2024 at 11:14 AM, Mary229 said:

On 4/15/2024 at 11:37 AM, SelectSys said:

On 4/16/2024 at 6:16 AM, CDNPolar said:

The folks that look after Cruise Critic are top in their game and I love that you can have opposing views and still be part of the discussion.

Hi everyone, I'd just like to thank you all for your kind words about how hard the moderators and staff here have accomplished our goal of being the BEST cruise community on the web!

Laura

• Like 7

15 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

At one time there were 19 cruise message boards on line.Now I believe there are only 2 .CC has outlasted all of them.

Really!?  Never knew that.  CC is the only one I have ever known and spent time on.  Guess I picked the WINNER from the start!

51 minutes ago, CDNPolar said:

Really!?  Never knew that.  CC is the only one I have ever known and spent time on.  Guess I picked the WINNER from the start!

When we first started getting interested in cruising I found two forums, Cruise Critic and another. I joined both, but found CC to be intimidating with it's large volume of info each day so I spent more time on the other one. Then one day one of the moderators on that other board took me to task for an opinion I had about something, so I left that board and never looked back. Did a search for them the other day and they do not exist any longer.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

There used to be a usenet group that was very good (it may still exist), but it eventually became overrun with trolls.

5 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

When we first started getting interested in cruising I found two forums, Cruise Critic and another. I joined both, but found CC to be intimidating with it's large volume of info each day so I spent more time on the other one. Then one day one of the moderators on that other board took me to task for an opinion I had about something, so I left that board and never looked back. Did a search for them the other day and they do not exist any longer.

Many years ago a singer/musician started a cruise board.I knew him because at one time I used to notarize contracts for singers and musicians .The cruise board that he started was the chief competitor to CC.I joined that board .One of the reasons for doing so was that they had a PM option.CC does not have that .If you desire to exchange e-mail addresses you have no choice but to have it be seen by anyone who may be lurking.I have posted my e-mail address and have not had a problem ,just lucky.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

Guess you did.I posted on several cruise boards that all closed .The majority of those who also did came to CC.