Is Holland the Right Line For Us?

I'm hoping to get some thoughts from everyone. I have been put in charge of organizing a cruise to Alaska in July 2025 for approximately 45 people. The cruise is in honor of my father who passed away in February. We will be burying him at sea during the cruise, as we did for my mother a few years back. Here is my question, our party will range in age from 14 years to 84 years. Its pretty well distributed between the years. On Holland, I'm not particularly concerned about activities and things todo for the older guests, but more for the younger, 14 - 28 for example. My family has done Alaska before, so we know what to expect; heavy on excursions, etc.. but I want to make sure we don't have a bunch who are bored and frankly I wouldn't want to subject other guests to number of younger guests running around; not to suggest they aren't well behaved. Would you recommend Holland? Note, I'm posting similar questions on Princess and Celebrity's communities as well.  Thank you for your help.

• Like 1

Holland America will not offer many programs for the teenagers and there is no "young adult" themed parties etc.  That said, Alaska is all about the ports and scenery/wildlife.  

It's tough to find a cruise line that will make such a wide age range all feel great.  I wish you luck!

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

I believe HAL and Princess are the two tops for Alaska….so if you want into places  (ie: Glacier Bay) that many others cannot enter, then these two reign due to their longevity in the market. 
It I were thinking about that age range, and a good percentage were younger, I believe Princess may be a better fit…,Anne more activities and wider demographic range.  But wow…..45 people!  
That said….good for you putting this together in honor of your father!  What a beautiful way to honor him. One of my parents most treasured sailing locals was Alaska. For you gather so many people, and reach out for input….class act!
I hope that what  you decide is absolutely as perfect as it can be. 

Edited by Vineyard View
  • Like 7

I love HAL, but have selected other lines when going with family, but that is because kids in our family are very active.

A few things to consider with a few of my opinions (others may have different thoughts, and please share!).

• For a line with a lot of kid care or kid friendly areas/activities so parents and kids can do their own things, I'd look into Royal Caribbean

• If families will want to spend most of their time together and/or off ship, but you still want to appeal to those without little ones, I'd go with Princess.

• If your group is more kid-centric or kid-focused, Disney is supposed to be a great option (I haven't sailed with them but know friends who have gone even without their kids!) 

• HAL offers better food, better education/talks/viewing, but lacks in "excitement" programing. You won't find slides, tons of recreational areas with several sport courts or big pools. They also have more limited "open" hours on ship, everything is pretty quiet compared to others in the evening after the show, and while in ports. 

• I'd avoid Carnival. They appeal and market target groups, their aim is to please everyone, but I have found instead of offering a little for all, it ends up no one is satisfied. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

My nephews were in their teens when my brother and his family went on a HAL cruise to Alaska. They had a good time but they were perfectly content to interact with the older guests. They spent a lot of time putting together a jigsaw puzzle. 

• Like 2

If you truly envision this trip to be in "honor of your father", then catering to boredom in teens is counter productive. HAL will not be the cruise that can/will suit 45 people, sorry.

• Like 1

I took my 14yo nephew to Alaska on HAL last summer. Aside from excursions and dinner time (my one rule), I barely saw him. We even rescheduled dinner a few times to accommodate his schedule with the teen club activities. There was stuff every day and every night — sports, board games, trivia, video games, I don’t even remember what all. But he loved it. And he was really mopey when we had to leave.

It’s not a huge party ship, and you’ll definitely see fewer teens and kids than on other lines like Royal Caribbean or Disney, and on other HAL itineraries, but summer time in Alaska? There will be kids. And there will be lots for them to do.

• Like 6

If it is only a 7 day cruise and you have a lot of port time filled with shore excursions I frankly doubt if the kids will have time to be bored.  I would go with the idea that the cruise should be one that is most likely to be liked by the adults.  Kids it seems will be worn out tired after all the port visits and HAL does have enough kid activities to keep them busy. 

I also think it may be a good learning experience for the kids to be in an environment more centered around the adults and learning to behave and be exposed to a bit more classy situation than rock climbing walls, waterslides, go cart tracks, etc.

My two cents worth which may be worth two cents or nothing.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

We took our 12 year old Grandson to Alaska with HAL (Noordam) in 2019. He spent a lot of time in the Kids Club and loved the cruise, food and ship. HAL does an excellent job in Alaska and I would recommend them.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

I appreciate quiet and simple and high quality so have enjoyed HAL but I also know a lot of people in their 20's-50's who won't cruise HAL due to the lack of formal entertainment and variety of onboard activities, I can't imagine being a (for example) 12-year old who is not a reader and needs activities to keep entertained and being stuck on the average HAL ship for multiple days on end.

I do think others have GREAT points about the schedule though - if you have a lot of long port days and will be off-ship most the time, probably not a factor.

Edited by pghflyer
  • Like 3

I did a family cruise on Princess with 40 people of all ages.  It was just noisier and more crowded for us. However it does have more active shore excursions, or at least did but one can always do excursions with private tour operators which abound in Alaska.  

I think your most important choice will be itinerary.  If you have lots of new cruisers and children I would go with the cruise which has the fewest sea days and longest port visits.   

• Like 4

I would go Princess. We are 5 star with HAL but did a Family cruise in Alaska for my brother's 50th (years ago) with 4 teenage grandkids who loved it. We've seen kids on World cruises with HAL that enjoyed it but those itineraries have dedicated kids activities and people to keeo them busy. Not sure HALs regular Alaska (or Caribbean) cruises are set up for that but things may have changed. I think Princess will appeal to the wider age range. But check with each line whether they will allow BaS and what offerings are for kids onboard and will depend on what the children are interested in. Our daughter, while in her teens, used to travel with us alot on HAL and Princess and says Princess would be her choice for her family, but she likes HAL for other itineraries. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

If you choose HAL, I would suggest you chose the Koingsdam round trip out of Vancouver.  The Koningsdam is a Pinnacle Class ship, first in this class of ship.....I have 60 folks sailing on the Koningsdam in August and am not worries one bit about anyone being bored or having nothing to do.......this is a very active itinerary, much different than if you were in the caribbean.....

If always tell people if you are going to Alaska, Glacier Bay is a must, HAL and Princess are the best in Alaska as they have been the two cruise lines sailing Alaska the longest.  Princess over 50 years and HAL over 75 years, that for me is very telling.

For me, HAL is perfect for my family and me.....

I will post a review when I return from my Koningsdam Alaska cruise.......

Edited by doone
  • Like 3

if you are concerned about keeping the younger cruisers entertained look elsewhere.

I happen to really like HAL for myself and my wife ( mid 60 s) , the reasons we like it are most likely the same reasons the younger cruisers will not.

Good luck , I hope all works out well for your cruise.

• Like 2

Alaska was our first cruise.  We were on the Westerdam and sailed from Vancouver, then did the land tour.  There were a few multi-generation groups on board.  From what I saw, the kids seemed happy, they were spending a lot of time with Grandma and Grandpa.  Seems like it might be hard to please a group of 45 people! 😉 Good luck with your choice.  🙂

• Like 1

I love HAL and have been sailing them 90% of the time since I was 25 (I am 39 now) but if you are concerned wirh teens and young 20's, I think princess might have more going on.  If you are doing HAL, make sure it is one of the newer ships (koningsdam is usually in Alaska) the koningsdam has more music venues and the rock room is a fun venue that can appeal to multiple generations. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, PacificMountain2012 said:

I have been put in charge of organizing a cruise to Alaska in July 2025 for approximately 45 people.

Wow! That's a heavy responsibility.

I've recently returned from a 7D cruise on the MSC Meravaglia to the Carib, after 4 cruises on HAL ships in 2023. I was very impressed by the wow factor on MSC's bigger ship. There's the spectacular dome light show which changes every few minutes. The aqua park and theme park on the top deck. The superior production shows in the theatre, and the events held every day in the mall.

Its a lively entertaining ship that offers a memorable experience for infrequent cruisers. With a larger number of excellent theme restaurants for variety.

On the other hand, HAL's forte is in longer cruises across oceans. There's the semi-sheltered promenade deck for walking and observation. The larger number of cosmopolitan food stations in the Lido. The ample movie library on the interactive TV.

When are you cruising? HAL ships tend to be more comfortable for cold weather (May and September). Whilst party ships (Princess, Royal Carib, Carnival etc) are a blast in the middle of summer.

In the last few years, HAL has experimented with little success. It eliminated the library rooms, and is now restoring this facility. It tried the concert-quality Lincoln Center musicians, and dropped them. 

Sadly, fares on HAL continue to drop to as low as $50 pp/day on the basic Alaska itineraries. HAL has become very economical. In fact, HAL ships will become more crowded as HAL offers free passage for 3rd/4th pax in a cabin.

Bottom line: HAL for a comfortable longer cruise with friends who can entertain themselves.  MSC etc for a lively experience for a multi-generational outing.

On the brands with the really large ships, there are ship-within-the-ship facilities. Affluent family members can cocoon themselves in a private section of the ship. Younger pax in Economy have the run of the ship.

All the best.

Edited by HappyInVan
  • Thanks 1

I don’t believe that MSC sails to Alaska.

If you choose Princess, just a word of caution: don’t book one of the Royal-class ships as there are very limited viewing areas, both inside and outside.  (I am not familiar with their other class ships so they may have more options.)  All HAL’s ships are exterior-focused, while the Princess Royal-class ships are interior-focused.  As well, the forward exterior space is an additional cost and there aren’t really any enclosed spaces where you can see the great outdoors.  In addition, the Seaview Pool area is quite tiny, as is the prom.

With that many family members, you may want to call the Group Booking number as there will probably be incentives available.  They can also offer help with any other issues which go along with booking large groups.

FWIW, all my extended family have enjoyed the HAL ships, including the young ones.  Even those who have grown, and continue to sail, have HAL as a top choice.

Have a wonderful time in whichever cruise line you choose.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, erdufylla said:

I took my 14yo nephew to Alaska on HAL last summer. Aside from excursions and dinner time (my one rule), I barely saw him. We even rescheduled dinner a few times to accommodate his schedule with the teen club activities. There was stuff every day and every night — sports, board games, trivia, video games, I don’t even remember what all. But he loved it. And he was really mopey when we had to leave.

It’s not a huge party ship, and you’ll definitely see fewer teens and kids than on other lines like Royal Caribbean or Disney, and on other HAL itineraries, but summer time in Alaska? There will be kids. And there will be lots for them to do.

Having read this entire thread, I think this post is the most insightful.

I have had occasion to sit in the Lido Market with crew members whose job is to run Club Hal for the children and teenage pax. They all had excellent backgrounds and personalities to match. While nobody complained, it was obvious that they were much happier and energized when they had a lot of kids in their charge.

If you're seriously considering HAL, I second the suggestion that you discuss your plans with a booking agent responsible for groups. If the number of teens is significant, it would surprise me if HAL didn't arrange for the best crew members to staff the youth activities. How could you have a better endorsement than erdufylla's mopey 14yo nephew?

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Petronillus said:

If you're seriously considering HAL, I second the suggestion that you discuss your plans with a booking agent responsible for groups.

I would also suggest talking with the teens themselves. Giving them realistic expectations for what is and is not available on the cruise is a great way to prepare them for the experience.

• Like 5

Thank you to everyone who responded. After reading everyone's response and talking it over, we are going to go HAL! Now the next hard part choosing the sailing.  Again, thank you to everyone who responded, you made my decision a little easier!

• Like 5

Good choice, even though I did suggest Princess for your family.  If you can sail out of Vancouver, you won't have to stop at Victoria upon returning to Seattle. Have fun planning.

• Like 1