Drinks package/policy changes?

2 minutes ago, david63 said:

I probably phrased it badly - I was meaning that you can order quantity wise whatever you want, not product wise - although it may be possible to have anything that is onboard but is not something that I have, or will, try.

Oh yes I agree

Has anyone managed to find anywhere to purchase a 1l container of wine, or (2l if there are two of you traveling)?

Standard bottles are 750ml, pouches 1.5l, boxes tend to be 225ml or 300ml. 

5 minutes ago, CruisingSarah said:

Has anyone managed to find anywhere to purchase a 1l container of wine, or (2l if there are two of you traveling)?

Standard bottles are 750ml, pouches 1.5l, boxes tend to be 225ml or 300ml. 

Take 2×75cl bottles and a 3rd one with a screw top.open the 3rd one and pour a big glass at the motorway services. Sorted.🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Windsurfboy said:

I thought if you bought it from P&O you can buy as much as you want. Completely different to bringing onboard

you can buy the classic and deluxe drinks packages but you are limited to 15 alcoholic drinks in one 24 hour period.

if you buy alcohol on board at the Duty Free or if you buy it at Cruise Ports Of Call they confiscate it from you, they keep it safe and you collect it on the night before you arrive back into your destination port to disembark the ship.

Edited by CountryStyleMe

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Windsurfboy said:

I thought if you bought it from P&O you can buy as much as you want. Completely different to bringing onboard

If you buy it from room service to drink in your cabin I am not aware of any restrictions, if you buy it from the duty free you get it at the end of the cruise.

We have had a couple of long cruises where there has been a voucher delivered to the cabin where you could pick up a litre of spirits per person to drink in your cabin with a discount, I think either 10% or 20%.

Edited by yorkshirephil

15 minutes ago, CountryStyleMe said:

you can buy the classic and deluxe drinks packages but you are limited to 15 alcoholic drinks in one 24 hour period.

if you buy alcohol on board at the Duty Free or if you buy it at Cruise Ports Of Call they confiscate it from you, they keep it safe and you collect it on the night before you arrive back into your destination port to disembark the ship.

Hi

You can purchase bottles from room service to drink in your room.

If I don’t purchase DP (I usually do) I used to buy a bottle of Jameson’s for in the cabin,,,near enough same price as supermarket.

2 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

I should have been more clear was talking  about bottles from room service 

21 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

If you buy it from room service to drink in your cabin I am not aware of any restrictions, if you buy it from the duty free you get it at the end of the cruise.

We have had a couple of long cruises where there has been a voucher delivered to the cabin where you could pick up a litre of spirits per person to drink in your cabin with a discount, I think either 10% or 20%.

Indeed on the longer cruises they SOMETIMES give vouchers for in cabin consumption at a greatly reduced price , however the problem is that the most popular brands get sold out quickly and are seldom restocked , if you drink gin it does not appear to be an issue, if you don't its tough luck  

1 hour ago, CCFC said:

Once you hit the 15 drink limit with the package you can carry on drinking but you have to pay for it

not anymore as like I said you are only allowed 15 alcoholic drinks per person per every 24 hour period and I believe once you hit your 15 alcoholic drink before the 24 hour period you are in is up you will stopped from buying anymore alcoholic drinks until the new 24 period starts.well I'm guessing that is how it will work on P&O Cruises from now on anyway 

1 hour ago, CountryStyleMe said:

not anymore as like I said you are only allowed 15 alcoholic drinks per person per every 24 hour period and I believe once you hit your 15 alcoholic drink before the 24 hour period you are in is up you will stopped from buying anymore alcoholic drinks until the new 24 period starts.well I'm guessing that is how it will work on P&O Cruises from now on anyway 

I believe that serving alcoholic drinks over the 15 limit is at the discretion of the bar staff (as it is with all alcoholic drinks at all times).

3 hours ago, CountryStyleMe said:

f you buy alcohol on board at the Duty Free or if you buy it at Cruise Ports Of Call they confiscate it from you, they keep it safe and you collect it on the night before you arrive back into your destination port to disembark the ship.

Depending on the cruise I have seen the queue to collect duty free circling half way round the ship with tales of up to an hour queuing to retrieve your duty free.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CountryStyleMe said:

Seems a sensible approach, if only to protect the passengers liver

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

Seems a sensible approach, if only to protect the passengers liver

But if that's what really drives their thinking then why have they raised the soft drinks package too! 🤔 Profits before ethics.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Paulant said:

But if that's what really drives their thinking then why have they raised the soft drinks package too! 🤔 Profits before ethics.

Perhaps rise is due to inflation, soft drink prices in U.K. have risen by 7 to 10% in last 12 months. 

13 hours ago, CCFC said:

Once you hit the 15 drink limit with the package you can carry on drinking but you have to pay for it

How many people can actually drink 15 alcoholic drinks in a day?   It seems like a lot of alcohol to me.

I suspect that people who have been used to all inclusive holidays may like to have the freedom of not having to think about spending.

• Like 2

It's interesting,  we use Saga which is all inclusive, but I don't  see that many getting  their moneys worth by drinking 24/7

However I imagine it is psychologically different when you've paid an extra £xxxx for a package, what you've spent for drink is more top of mind

15 hours ago, CountryStyleMe said:

Well in all my years of having the drinks package they have let me go over or once you get to know the crew they will say you have hit 15 drinks but your partner is on say 10 and will put it on their card. Looked it up and you can go over if you pay:

image.thumb.png.c07fda97bf52fbe54179c4395628c548.png

6 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

It's interesting,  we use Saga which is all inclusive, but I don't  see that many getting  their moneys worth by drinking 24/7

However I imagine it is psychologically different when you've paid an extra £xxxx for a package, what you've spent for drink is more top of mind

Hi

What I have noticed cruising both P&O and Celebrity is on Celebrity people seem to experiment with different drinks and often leave the ones they don’t like.
Thats what happens with unlimited number of drinks.

Never seen it with people on P&O package,,,

Sorry have come to this thread late. Been away and tbh have only just registered the title! 

I haven't read the 26 pages of posts so apologies if I repeat anything but we find this disappointing. Another perk for PO gone ...

OK you can buy spirits on board but though they may be supermarket prices they won't be anywhere  near duty free prices. Am I right in thinking that duty free is much cheaper now we are not in the EU?

I just feel like all of the things that led us to PO are being eroded and this is yet another one to increase profits.

10 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

OK you can buy spirits on board but though they may be supermarket prices they won't be anywhere  near duty free prices

Not sure that is always true. I have seen items in the onboard duty free shop cheaper than at some of the ports' duty free shops.

If you are on a B2B cruise and you buy duty free, are you allowed to collect it on the last night of the first leg and drink it in your cabin on the second leg. We are doing 2 weeks followed by 5 weeks so a bottle or two to drink during the cruise would be very acceptable. 

• Like 1