The Fleet Report and Daily for Saturday May 11th, 2024

3 hours ago, summer slope said:

Doctor Death cocktail:

Description
The "Doctor Death" cocktail is a mysterious and potent elixir that holds an air of intrigue and allure. This dark libation combines the intense bitterness of absinthe with the herbal complexity of Chartreuse liqueur, creating a drink that is as enigmatic as its name suggests. With its strong and distinctive flavors, the Doctor Death cocktail is not for the faint of heart. Enter into a realm of mystique and intensity as you venture into the depths of this captivating concoction.
Ingredients:
1/2 oz. lime juice
1/2 oz. simple syrup
1 oz. absinthe
1 oz. chartreuse green
Directions:
In a cocktail shaker with ice cubes add absinthe, green Chartreuse, lime juice, and simple syrup to the shaker. Shake vigorously for about 15 seconds.
Strain the cocktail mixture into the glass filled with ice. Garnish the Doctor Death cocktail with a lime twist(optional).

Screenshot 2024-05-11 at 6.14.52 AM.png

I’ll will pass on this drink. I prefer Doctor Life!

• Like 7
  • Haha 6

2 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good morning friends!  We have 75F on the thermometer here in Plantation and expect a high of 96!  Way too hot for most of us.  It will be sunny but there's always a chance of a shower, especially at sail away time.  We may leave port at 3 pm but don't be surprised if it's later. I'll let you all know later if I find a good spot to watch the Zuiderdam leave and wave at the PTZ camera.  We have a lot to unpack and need time to get settled this afternoon.

Today's port is Phuket, Thailand which is a brand new one so no links to post!  We have not been to the port of Phuket before.  Thanks to all who post photos.

Yes, we have a ride to the port with a shuttle service that we had from a different Ft. Lauderdale hotel.  She gave us her card and it came in handy this time.  We are going downstairs to get some breakfast and might see a few cruisers down there.  I wonder if any of them will require a ride to their ship? 

Well, better get moving and get that breakfast.  Talk to you all later!

Have a great cruise. Great ports of call!

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dfish said:

Good morning, everyone!

We were blessed with a great display from the northern lights last night.  If you looked through your phone camera, you could see them even better as the camera filters really picked up the colors.  My photos aren't so wonderful, but what I saw was.  There was a great display right out in our back yard.  

Today I am working on getting my quilt ready for the quilter.  I was supposed to get it in this week, but it will have to be next week.  Sue is waiting to hear if River's soccer game is rained out.  The maps show rain until mid afternoon where they play.  

@1ANGELCAT I am sorry Houdini took a turn for the worse.  May his trip across the rainbow bridge be peaceful.  

@StLouisCruisers Sandi, I hope you and Dennis have a great time on your cruise!

@Niagarawine Enjoy that cruise!

@MISTER 67 Bon Voyage!   Drive safely!

@marshhawk I hope your mouth is feeling better after the oral surgery yesterday.  

I love Cobb salad.  This one looks like it would more than satisfy me!   They recommend making your own light ranch dressing.  https://litecravings.com/skinny-cobb-salad/

cobbsalad1.thumb.jpg.aa3ba0e7262e81fbc8ad089353025980.jpg

Here's a recipe for the ranch dressing.  https://litecravings.com/the-best-light-ranch-dressing/

ranchdressing.thumb.jpg.a0fa5cab14e260648f69620ec9ac9b54.jpg

This Cobb salad uses a blue cheese vinaigrette.  That sounds pretty good!  https://www.healthyseasonalrecipes.com/healthy-cobb-salad/

cobbsalad2.thumb.jpg.87543df9692b2839e412c0df02fd2b6b.jpg

This recipe uses a lemon vinaigrette.  All three sound delicious to me!   https://www.wellplated.com/cobb-salad/

cobbsalad3.thumb.jpg.fcb0482e7ca461ca7eb93c4079b522ef.jpg

Wishing you all a wonderful day!   

What time do you expect me for the delicious Cobb Salad?

• Like 8
  • Haha 6

Thanks for the Fleet Update and General Info from all contributors!

Are you kiddin. Root Canal Appreciation Day! The only canal I appreciate is in Panama! 😀

• Like 7
  • Haha 9

Good Saturday Morning Dailyites!  Thank you @grapau27for the information on the rolling foam.  I first thought it was taking the foam off the futon and rolling it back up and putting it in the closet.  Which I always find challenging.  

Last night DH and I went outside to see the ISS go over, and we saw a lot of red in the sky.  At first I thought it was a neon disaster, but it turned out it was the aurora.  This far south!  The solar storm in this area had increased, so I am thinking those up north must have had quite a show.

The temps dropped yesterday, very low humidity, had to turn the heater back on on the porch. Kittens are trying to escape from the box, and Munchkin will have none of it. They stand on their back legs, get those tiny claws into the top of the box, and start pulling themselves up , poke their heads  over the edge to see the rest of the world, and Momma cat runs over and bops them on the heads until they let go, and drop back down into the box.  

I followed the nurses directions on sleeping with my head elevated, it actually helped with the pain, so I slept on the sofa, with one cat (who had me pinned so well, that I had no idea who it was) and slept for 8 hours.  The whole time sliding down off the pillows, until I became a ball at the end of the sofa, but I slept!  8 hours in a row!  No waking up!  No leg cramps!  No one getting up and turning on all the lights.  Sleep, it's so wonderful, if I didnt have to go to the laundromat today, I would consider doing it all day....

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  I had no idea what foam rolling day was, thanks for the explanation.  Being the recipient of a number of root canals, I'm very appreciative of the relief they bring, even though getting one is a major ordeal.  I feel for those who suffer from chronic immunological diseases and wish there was a cure for them.  Finally, an accurate weather forecast.

I hope everyone who was able to, enjoyed the northern lights last night . . . here the clouds started rolling in around 8 last night.  I went out around 10:30 and was able to make out a few streaks in the sky and by the time I came back in to tell DH maybe we should get in the car to head out of the city, he was sound asleep.  Oh well, I'm enjoying all the photos on the computer this morning.  

Bon Voyage to @MISTER 67, @StLouisCruisers and @Niagarawine; I hope you all have wonderful cruises.  @StLouisCruiserslooking forward to seeing you on the webcam at sail-away!

@1ANGELCATmy heart breaks for you as you take your sweet Houdini to the vet to make his way across the Rainbow Bridge.

@smitty34877I'm so glad to hear extra family have arrived to help with Tana, giving you some much needed rest.

@marshhawkI hope you had some OTC meds that helped with the pain from your oral surgery.

Not a lot on our agenda today, just dismantling my sewing station at the dining room table and putting it back to it's normal function.  After completing the 8 sets of 4 coasters, I now have 53 sets made, which I hope will be enough to give 1 set per household at our Summerfest barbecue in July.  As the replies start coming in, I may find myself making another few, who knows?

I'm taking a hard pass on the drink (not a fan of bitter stuff), would gladly drink the wine, and did you know right now Wendy's has a decent Cobb salad?  Thinking about that, I'm going to suggest because it's so nice out today that DH and I take the roofless car to Wendy's to pick up a Cobb salad for me and a junior whopper for him to enjoy at the kitchen table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in pain, in need, in turmoil, in wars, in the paths of devastating storms, and now in the paths of forest fires in northern BC, Alberta and northern Saskatchewan.  Cheers to all with celebrations today.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

Edited by ger_77
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 4

Posted (edited)

Good Morning and thanks for all the information.  I can appreciate root canals but will not celebrate them.  And yes to celebrating the other 2 days.  I am a George Carlin BIG fan - saw him live once and loved him.  His take on the English language and the inconsistencies was so spot on. The meal looks good and after hearing what is in the drink - Green Chartreuse (my FAV digestif), I would definitely try it.  Wine sounds interesting and never went to Phuket in all my trips to Thailand; seemed too much as a touristy/party place.

I saw Cats in London when I went over to meet my parents in the 80s.  (I then went to spend a month with them in Dubai).  I loved it and I wish I still had the t-shirt I bought with the cat eyes on it.  

Lots of things on the agenda today so hopefully I will be able to get things done.  

I guess I glossed over the message about the Aurora B being prominent last night but being so far south, I probably just dismissed it.  But one of my friends did catch it around sunset.

ScreenShot2024-05-11at06_13_39.thumb.png.cc97c34034939fe4014dd65f60916a3c.png

I hope @MISTER 67 @StLouisCruisers and @Niagarawine have a great cruise.  

Hugs to @1ANGELCAT today.

Thoughts for all of those on the care list and cheers to those celebrating.  Have a good day everyone.

Edited by Nickelpenny
correction
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 4

Good morning. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

I'm not sure if foam rolling refers to those gym foam rollers or those for hair. I've only had one root canal, and since it relieved the pain and wasn't painful to get, I wasn't sure why they are so feared. I will certainly appreciate awareness of chronic immunological and neurological  diseases (May 12), since that encompasses my eye disease (uveitis) and RA. Funny quote. Yes to the meal, pass on the drink, and yes to the wine. I haven't been to Phuket. My roommate in college was from Thailand and has wanted me to visit. Cats has some great music; I'm a big ALW fan.

It's 53F and sunny now, but was 43 this AM. Brrr. And I didn't have the heat set to come on. We've had lots of rain, and more later today they say. I tried to see the Northern Lights but didn't see anything (too much light around I think), although some folks nearby got good photos. I was tired last night and fell right asleep. I woke up at 5, and the Care List hadn't synced on iCloud, so I had to come downstairs. I managed to fall back asleep for another 2 hours. BFF is on his own today, but has enough food. On Monday we have to visit perioperative clinic. I am going to try to do laundry today; hasn't been done for almost 3 weeks, plus there's extra from BFF being here. Only the last 3 steps coming up from the basement are a concern, as they're taller than normal steps. I will have my phone with me. I hate to stay down there for all the loads, as it's colder and no comfortable seating (only a stool).

@MISTER 67 Bon Voyage George!

@StLouisCruisers Bon Voyage Sandi & Dennis!

@Niagarawine Bon Voyage Kathi & Ray!

@Cat in my lap @Gail & Marty sailing away Welcome Back from The Grand World Voyage!

@grapau27 Thanks for the explanation. Lovely weather for your lunch in the gardens.

@cat shepard Great photos from your family! 

@1ANGELCAT I am so sorry you had to make that decision for Houdini, but I know it is done out of love. (((Hugs)))

@smitty34877 I'm glad to hear that DB and DSIL have come to help the family. You are blessed to have an extended family who cares.

@Quartzsite Cruiser Thanks for the Phuket photos.

@marshhawk I'm glad to hear that you got a good night's sleep! I hope your dental pain is minimal today.

@kazu I hope the antibiotics are working and that you are having less foot pain.

Prayers for the Care List and a Toast to those Celebrating.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 5

Good morning from a pleasant day in SE Wisconsin.  It's 54 and sunny.  We've had a lot of rain this week.  

No thanks on the drink, haven't been to the port, I'm looking forward to pictures!  Thanks @grapau27for the info about the foam roller, I think I need one! 

@1ANGELCATso sorry to hear about your Houdini...you gave him a wonderful life.  Sending hugs...💔

Happy cruising to those leaving today and soon!  BonVoyage!

@Crazy For Catsthanks for the reminder about email links.  A local hospital system was hacked this week...probably one you're working for and trying to help.  I can't imagine what it's like to be working there now!  Nothing works without the computer!  I drove by one of their clinics yesterday and saw cars in the parking lot.  Heard they couldn't cancel appointments because they had no phone #'s to contact people. 

@marshhawkGood to hear you got some sleep last night!  My niece has 4 foster kitties right now.  They got them when they were around 4 weeks old...she sends lots of cute videos!  Sounds like yours are fun also!  

The northern lights were visible here last night.  The weather guys said they would be visible around 1 am...lots of people saw them much earlier...I should have gone outside before I went to bed! 

Blessings on your weekend!  Karen

• Like 21
  • Thanks 3

15 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  I had no idea what foam rolling day was, thanks for the explanation.  Being the recipient of a number of root canals, I'm very appreciative of the relief they bring, even though getting one is a major ordeal.  I feel for those who suffer from chronic immunological diseases and wish there was a cure for them.  Finally, an accurate weather forecast.

I hope everyone who was able to, enjoyed the northern lights last night . . . here the clouds started rolling in around 8 last night.  I went out around 10:30 and was able to make out a few streaks in the sky and by the time I came back in to tell DH maybe we should get in the car to head out of the city, he was sound asleep.  Oh well, I'm enjoying all the photos on the computer this morning.  

Bon Voyage to @MISTER 67, @StLouisCruisers and @Niagarawine; I hope you all have wonderful cruises.  @StLouisCruiserslooking forward to seeing you on the webcam at sail-away!

@1ANGELCATmy heart breaks for you as you take your sweet Houdini to the vet to make his way across the Rainbow Bridge.

@smitty34877I'm so glad to hear extra family have arrived to help with Tana, giving you some much needed rest.

@marshhawkI hope you had some OTC meds that helped with the pain from your oral surgery.

Not a lot on our agenda today, just dismantling my sewing station at the dining room table and putting it back to it's normal function.  After completing the 8 sets of 4 coasters, I now have 53 sets made, which I hope will be enough to give 1 set per household at our Summerfest barbecue in July.  As the replies start coming in, I may find myself making another few, who knows?

I'm taking a hard pass on the drink (not a fan of bitter stuff), would gladly drink the wine, and did you know right now Wendy's has a decent Cobb salad?  Thinking about that, I'm going to suggest because it's so nice out today that DH and I take the roofless car to Wendy's to pick up a Cobb salad for me and a junior whopper for him to enjoy at the kitchen table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in pain, in need, in turmoil, in wars, in the paths of devastating storms, and now in the paths of forest fires in northern BC, Alberta and northern Saskatchewan.  Cheers to all with celebrations today.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

Hi Gerry how do you make the coasters?

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

We visited Phuket on March 7, 2000, on P&O Oriana's world cruise.  We hired a driver to show us the island, and had a very good day.

The beach when we tendered ashore early that morning.

P3070508.thumb.JPG.aaeeb06a9cbda891e41420165da1a964.JPG

Our first shopping opportunity

P3070514.thumb.JPG.4e1b210e5f52ffea46085760268dd44e.JPG

Our driver took us to the Monkey School where we saw a demonstration of what the monkeys learn.  Mainly, they teach them to climb the very tall palm trees and to throw the coconuts down.  They also teach them some tricks, and even got one person from the audience to help, and I was the lucky one.  The trainer tied my hands and had the monkey untie me.  

P3070520.thumb.JPG.3b294f3327f76d0780d5012719c657e5.JPG

P3070523.thumb.JPG.aef9f5fc3151d39fcec579610ad382c1.JPG

P3070524.thumb.JPG.1a1880b05c823b68dc8be05d37ab62c1.JPG

The driver asked if we wanted to ride an elephant, but we declined, and headed into the town of Phuket, including a stop at a very fancy jewelry store.

P3080533.thumb.JPG.6279b0175c9beadcb0d9daecb4779c39.JPG

P3080536.thumb.JPG.1dc54b7a313d29325b8e9f1247e3c2bf.JPG

P3080542.thumb.JPG.12f9e176063a88553376bd0db0edb07f.JPG

After our tour, we returned to the beach and had a couple of cold beers on the patio of a nice hotel.  This was the beach and hotel that were destroyed by the December 26, 2004, tsunami.

P3080526.thumb.JPG.102211495d528f6d8d5d8275c665a3b9.JPG

P3080531.thumb.JPG.a27e30916cde48b737d9acafaf768191.JPG

P3080544.thumb.JPG.50692d5cfb6d2536449ed7ecedf10082.JPG

P3080546.thumb.JPG.ad008eb2dc62668e34e7a206bb35b3c0.JPG

Phuket as we sailed later that afternoon.

P3080547.thumb.JPG.11bbe552ffc3e8f7e91966baf756ff2a.JPG

P3080549.thumb.JPG.e9804014f47d0a7e840db4041b136177.JPG

Lenda

Lovely photos Lenda.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Good morning. Cool and very cloudy here this morning. High will remain in the 59's all day. I woke up at 6:30.... took one look at the sky and rushed to get the dogs out before the rains came. I am still waiting and it is just getting darker and darker. The dogs have gone back to bed and I am on my third cup of coffee. I may have to turn the heat on for a little while.... or maybe just bake something.

Today is the annual meeting for the Humane Society and I plan to give it a miss for the first time in years. Clearing out the neighboring condo has warn me out.... and I need to get started with some serious clearing on mine. So today, I plan to read some books. And hopefully listen to the rain.

Sorry about Houdini. It is a hard decision to make, but a necessary one when the time comes.

Best wishes to good health and good travels to all.

Susan

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, all! Welcome home to the World Cruisers! 
We went out to see the Northern Lights last night, but fell,asleep and didn’t go out until 2 AM. By then the show was almost over, but still amazing. DH looked up and said ‘It’s too bad the clouds have moved in’. I looked up at the pulsating streaks all,over the sky and replied ‘Those aren’t clouds!’IMG_6105.thumb.jpeg.9e4034597ee9253dc47d266e40421901.jpeg

IMG_6098.thumb.jpeg.eae22558a5b3e10f9127a900ef77264a.jpeg

We missed the peak of the display, but it was well worth getting up and driving away from the lights anyway!

I’m really hoping to see them again when we go to Iceland in August on the Volendam.

We are off to Salt Spring today, getting the cottage ready for summer and guests.

Happy Saturday, everyone! Hugs to all who need one, bon voyage to those about to sail away, and welcome home to those just returning.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

Just heard back from the veterinarian. His appointment is at noon. 💔

Thinking of you and Houdini. Enjoy your memories.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Good morning all!

I'll pass on the drink and wine.  Cobb Salad is never my first choice, but if someone else made it (minus avocado) I'd like it.  I've never thought of George Carlin as being foul-mouthed, at least not compared to most of the more recent comedians -- but then maybe I just missed those quotes.  I've never been to Phuket, but my niece and nephew have been.  They were robbed by young men speeding by on bicycles (!)  It was quite the experience for them...

We had a very nice afternoon yesterday with the DGSs.  So nice to have some quality time with them!  They're growing up too fast.  The oldest will turn 11 in 5 days, and he's already over 5' tall.  He'll be a big guy like his Daddy, and just as sweet.

I tried to see the Northern Lights last night, and should have stayed dressed and gone outside to look.  I did see a magenta color and streaks in the sky - and did see them a few years ago from a plane flying from Sweden to Germany - but DD and DS who live in other nearby  towns got some great photos.

Amandas.jpg.e5dd7a001bb41589f49fad5035ff6318.jpg

Marks.jpg.b212f30c76169b76d6acf835975c95cb.jpg

Supposedly we can see them again tonight and we're having clear skies for once !!  I'll try to stay awake and get outside this time.

Bon Voyage Sandi @StLouisCruisers, @MISTER 67 and @Niagarawine!

@1ANGELCAT I'm so sorry to hear that you have to say goodbye to your Houdini today. 😞  It's the hardest thing we have to do, but it's the best gift you can give him.  Hugs!

Edited by Cruising-along
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 6