Magnetic Door Decorations

18 hours ago, Lena11033 said:

I guess it's same as ducks some people don't like them but my last one there were a few ducks and I found it

I found my very first duck on my most recent cruise under the staircase near the guest services desk.  Then later I saw a lady dropping off a duck in with the pencils where the trivia game was being held and my husband snagged it.  It is all in fun and shouldn’t cause anyone to be disgruntled.  

• Like 6

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, ScottC4746 said:

Tell me more about these ducks?  I don't remember them on the Solstice.

People bring and hide rubber ducks for others to find.  It’s a big thing on some ships, and I believe, is now happening on most sailings to one degree or another. 

in fact, we will be bringing a few on our upcoming sailing. 🤪

Edited by Octavias
Add info
  • Like 3

In my limited experience, door decorating has been largely cultural. Prior to 2023, I saw very little of it. Those cruises were in Europe, the Americas, and Antarctica, with mostly North American and European passengers.  However, we sailed 7 times to, from, and around Australia last year. We saw oodles of door decorations, many very exravagant, often extending to the walls, once around a corner. 

We also saw LOTS of lanyards for holding sea pass cards, many more than I'd ever seen before. 

This year, we've sailed on X 60 days (five cruises) in Asia. There were very few Americans onboard. Most folks were from the UK, Ireland, and parts of mainland Europe. There were also quite a few folks from Australia and New Zealand. I saw more door decorations than I've seen on cruises with mostly Americans and Europeans, but not as many as on the cruises that were mostly Aussies and Kiwis last year. 

I've never seen them on river cruises. 

I do think they are becoming more popular, and I've seen ideas pop up in my online crafting groups of mostly Americans recently. 

I fall into the "You do you, as long as you aren't harming others" category. 

Posted (edited)

Ducks I think it's newer on Celebrity but there is a group on another site dedicated to ducks, like letting people know they are placing them on x ship or when people find them.

I have two I brought home from Constellation Mardi Gras cruise. I'm considering ducks for my next one but depends on luggage space - I have issues with bringing more than I need 🙃

Edited by Lena11033

1 minute ago, Lena11033 said:

Yeah I think it's newer on Celebrity but there is a group on another site dedicated to ducks, like letting people know they are placing them on x ship or when people find them.

I have two I brought home from Constellation Mardi Gras cruise. I'm considering ducks for my next one but depends on luggage space - I have issues with bringing more than I need 🙃

It could be a line issue.  RCCL I felt like I wasn't participating like I should.

I love them!  I found an Etsy dealer who has magnets in the design of the new Edge Class ships; I ordered two, one for our Ascent cruise in June and one for our B3B on Apex in July.  You can customize basically everything on it, including adding all of the ports of call, the year, a saying, etc.  But overall, though Celebrity is not Disney - on who's ships the passengers definitely go more "all out" with door decor, I do find that Celebrity passengers are lightening up and embracing door decor more and more.  It's especially fun to roam the halls on a self guided door decor tour on holiday cruises.  We've been on two Halloween cruises with Celebrity and some of the passengers were very creative with their doors.  

19 hours ago, miched said:

I apply door murals.   

Dresses  up the hallway

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

I am of the opinion that your public space decorations should be left at home. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Your "dress up" is another's "tacky".

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, RTShaker said:

I am of the opinion that your public space decorations should be left at home. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Your "dress up" is another's "tacky".

Not your door, not your problem. To each their own.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 7

1 hour ago, ScottC4746 said:

Tell me more about these ducks?  I don't remember them on the Solstice.

They have been around for years, but in the last couple of years they have blown up on the different cruise lines.  You bring a rubber ducky type thing and "hide" it for someone else to fine.  All good clean fun for those who participate.

In regards to the door decorations.  While we haven't ever directly done it, I say go for it.  If it makes you happy.  Plus I do enjoy seeing them.

The indirect time we just happened to book a cruise over our wedding anniversary date, so I ordered the cabin decoration package.  It include a door decoration.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gatour said:

They have been around for years, but in the last couple of years they have blown up on the different cruise lines.  You bring a rubber ducky type thing and "hide" it for someone else to fine.  All good clean fun for those who participate.

It was fun but those who hid them were pretty creative.

Years ago when I participated in the search it took a long time but this is what I finally found:

a “dragon duck”. 😉

Perfect. 😁

IMG_0055.jpeg

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Octavias said:

Not your door, not your problem. To each their own.

Thank goodness for freedom of expression.
I'll second that. 👍

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Lena11033 said:

Ducks I think it's newer on Celebrity but there is a group on another site dedicated to ducks, like letting people know they are placing them on x ship or when people find them.

I like the ducks but it's about luggage space for me also.  We travel carry-on only except when we sail out of our home port.  I hide them a children's eye level and it is so much fun when you see a small kid just light up at finding a little prize. I bet it makes a lasting memory for them.

• Like 2

I've got door decorations for when we sail at Christmas - just a little wooden "Merry Christmas" sign that has a wire hanger. I hang it from a magnet on the door.

Honestly, I'm not at all inclined to do cutesy decorations but it's your vacation and it's not harming anyone so what the heck. If someone feels that it is 'tackifying' (yes, made up that word) their vacation then that's their problem. 

Ducks ... I worked a charity duck race for a few years and although we tried to corral all the ducks, some always went missing. And they wound up in bins around the area, which bothered me. I'd feel the same way about a lot of ducks on a ship. They'll wind up in the garbage. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 5/16/2024 at 5:09 PM, ScottC4746 said:

I think they would be fun to have, just don't want to be THAT cruiser with the tacky door.  LOL

We saw lots of decorated doors on the Solstice last summer in Alaska. Some more so than others. Our daughter had 2 magnets made for our door. One was for our 41st wedding anniversary and one was to commemorate my retirement. Fun!

• Like 5

When we were on the Equinox a few months ago, we were told that there was a large booking on the previous cruise that hung pineapple decals on their door----- Upside down for some reason---  

I think it was probably a gathering of pineapple " lovers " that were interested in others " experiences ".

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Water_Baby_ said:

Ducks ... I worked a charity duck race for a few years and although we tried to corral all the ducks, some always went missing. And they wound up in bins around the area, which bothered me. I'd feel the same way about a lot of ducks on a ship. They'll wind up in the garbage. 

The "Duck Thing" is the very essence of recycling though.  The game is to keep passing your found duck along by re-hiding it. Those who choose not to re-hide keep it as a memento of their cruise.  I would think very few just toss them in the garbage.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Water_Baby_ said:

agree

• Like 1

I am on the Edge now. I walked a lap on decks 5 through 11 today for exercise since it is so windy. I saw maybe 5 doors decorated total: a Congratulations sign; a happy birthday or anniversary sign and one Alaska theme.  There were a lot more doors decorated when we were on the Ascent in February. It seems that people might want to consider the option of putting them up inside their cabin on the magnetic walls. Then you’d actually get to enjoy seeing them more.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Stumptowngal said:

I am on the Edge now. I walked a lap on decks 5 through 11 today for exercise since it is so windy. I saw maybe 5 doors decorated total: a Congratulations sign; a happy birthday or anniversary sign and one Alaska theme.  There were a lot more doors decorated when we were on the Ascent in February. It seems that people might want to consider the option of putting them up inside their cabin on the magnetic walls. Then you’d actually get to enjoy seeing them more.  

Oh trust me, I decorate inside as well!  We always come armed with hook magnets for the inside, so that we can hang our tote bags, oft used jackets/wraps, etc but also affix my art work from the various on board drawing classes - just as if I was in 1st grade again!  We also usually buy a magnet in most of the ports, so those go up on the inside walls as well.  

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Stumptowngal said:

I think in addition part of the reason folks like to decorate their cabin door, is the same reason many do Xmas decorations outside their homes, to make us smile as we wander around the roads or halls. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I’m not big on door decorations for myself but I don’t mind what other people do.

That said, next year I have a B3B in three different cabins close to each other.  Fingers crossed that by then I latch onto the same cabin at least once.  But I can see a door decoration for the last two legs helping me show up at the correct cabin.😎

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

No matter what cruiseline I'm on, I've always put something on my door. It could be a Happy BIrthday or Anniversary sign. Lately, I've put up sign with an anchor and a ship's wheel that says "Ahoy!" Might look for something "Beachy" for my next Caribbean cruise. I also love seeing the other doors that are decorated.

• Like 3

I do similar every cruise - but not for decorating - it's so I can easily find my room. 

I don't do anything elaborate - just a couple of butterflies once, but it's so much easier than trying to remember room numbers - especially if that drink package is purchased.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2