reapply for AARP and Military OBC?

We recently learned about these OBCs and have applied and been verified for our upcoming cruise ... my wife for the AARP OBC and me for the Military.  Will we need to apply and be verified for future cruises, or is our eligibility now permanently attached to our Mariner accounts for future bookings?  Thanks.

• Like 1

Your Military credit should not have to be reverified, as once you have been in the military, and left, you have always been in the military and are not likely to have gone back. 

AARP is something else altogether, though, as you have to pay the dues to remain a member. Membership does need to be reverified periodically. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, mobilemac said:

We recently learned about these OBCs and have applied and been verified for our upcoming cruise ... my wife for the AARP OBC and me for the Military.  Will we need to apply and be verified for future cruises, or is our eligibility now permanently attached to our Mariner accounts for future bookings?  Thanks.

Both need to be renewed every year. Even though you may be retired military you still need to renew annually.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

12 hours ago, Trapper44 said:

Both need to be renewed every year. Even though you may be retired military you still need to renew annually.

That was not the case for us.

Thanks ... I'm the OP.  I guess it's not as cut and dried as I had hoped.  I'll reapply for both before booking our next cruise, although as RuthC says, my military service is what it is. I'm not sure I understand why that OBC needs to be re-vetted, but I'll do it anyway to make it a non-issue. Thanks again for your responses.

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, mobilemac said:

Thanks ... I'm the OP.  I guess it's not as cut and dried as I had hoped.  I'll reapply for both before booking our next cruise, although as RuthC says, my military service is what it is. I'm not sure I understand why that OBC needs to be re-vetted, but I'll do it anyway to make it a non-issue. Thanks again for your responses.

Not sure either... I have Teacher and AARP that I emailed about connecting with previously booked cruises (before I knew these existed), and got a very nice email saying that they had been applied to my 2025 cruise, but could not be applied to 2026 as they needed to be re-verified within a year prior.  Understand the AARP since that needs to be paid every year, but my retired teacher status will not change.  It is what it is, so will just set a reminder to do that before needed.

• Thanks 1

HAL must be using a different system from Princess, etc., other CCL affiliates. We have been taking Princess cruises for well over ten years and every time we book, the military/veterans OBC perk shows up without any additional verification. We still need to re-submit the stock holders info. 

Darcy

• Like 2

You have to reverify once a year, not necessarily for every cruise.  I agree that it makes no sense to reverify retired military or retired teacher. A year from now I will still be a retired teacher.  I can't just erase decades of my life.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, twincheryl said:

Not sure either... I have Teacher and AARP that I emailed about connecting with previously booked cruises (before I knew these existed), and got a very nice email saying that they had been applied to my 2025 cruise, but could not be applied to 2026 as they needed to be re-verified within a year prior.  Understand the AARP since that needs to be paid every year, but my retired teacher status will not change.  It is what it is, so will just set a reminder to do that before needed.

At least retired teachers get it. Retired medical professionals do not. Even though our licenses are still in the system but show inactive.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TiogaCruiser said:

At least retired teachers get it. Retired medical professionals do not. Even though our licenses are still in the system but show inactive.

That's wrong.  If retired teachers can get it, retired medical should be able to as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

18 hours ago, dfish said:

You have to reverify once a year, not necessarily for every cruise.  I agree that it makes no sense to reverify retired military or retired teacher. A year from now I will still be a retired teacher.  I can't just erase decades of my life.

This has not been the case for us. We have not reverified my husband military status since originally applying for it in 2022.

How/where do you check to see if your status is current.  If it is not, how/where do you update. Just figured out the stock perks.  I wish everything was posted on our profiles!

Aak about your military OBC. It does not expire, per sec. They just load it to your Mariner account for a certain period. (Two years, I think.) Once you get to the end of the 2 year period, they update the expiration date. You don't have to reapply.

• Like 1

Does anyone know if the AARP re-verification is based on the expiration date of membership or is it truly annual no matter what? I'm asking because the membership I purchased is valid through 2028.

Answer for Indianadaytrippe ... yes, OBCs can be combined for Military and AARP and CCL ownership.  I have all three for our upcoming cruise. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, POA1 said:

Aak about your military OBC. It does not expire, per sec. They just load it to your Mariner account for a certain period. (Two years, I think.) Once you get to the end of the 2 year period, they update the expiration date. You don't have to reapply.

@POA1  it has been well over 10 years since we cruised with Princess. Should I call Princess to make sure they still have my DD214 on file and still eligible for military obc?

Thank you.

On 5/27/2024 at 7:43 PM, CruiseMob said:

Does anyone know if the AARP re-verification is based on the expiration date of membership or is it truly annual no matter what? I'm asking because the membership I purchased is valid through 2028.

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en/us/cruise-deals/community-appreciation-cruise-offers/aarp-member-benefit-offer  

In the Terms and Conditions it says guests must resubmit the information annually.

I have the OBC applied to a 3rd July cruise but it is not applied to two August cruises. I figured out that is because membership was verified nearly a year ago on 25 July 2023. The HAL rep says I have to reapply.

When I submit my info. at "renew my membership" it comes back that I am approved already. So I am deducing that I have to renew my membership between 26 July this year and the first August cruise.

Hope this makes sense!

• Thanks 1

On 5/25/2024 at 4:08 PM, RuthC said:

Your Military credit should not have to be reverified, as once you have been in the military, and left, you have always been in the military and are not likely to have gone back. 

AARP is something else altogether, though, as you have to pay the dues to remain a member. Membership does need to be reverified periodically. 

Holland American told me you have to verify AARP every year 12 months after you 1st applied. And I tried and it didn't work 

Is this correct?

Is there a limit of cruise number pr year?

What are the rules???

Thanks 

If you have current AARP and are verified, call HAL and ask for supervisor, I called last week to add new cruise for October and C.S.R.. couldn’t  see my AARP so we transferred to supervisor who can see it, and she added for me.  I have 6 cruises in the next year, AARP on all of them.  I have current and verified AARP.