Live From Eclipse( sort of)

Lois R

2 hours ago, 1Virgo said:

I wonder what the actual passenger limit on a ship is.  I know a passenger number is mentioned  but canthey a certain % over that? Celebrity ran a sale 3rd person sails free. Maybe that is what is making the ships seem far more crowded

Eclipse has 1,440 cabins with a capacity of 2,880 with two per cabin.

Legal maximum if all cabins with 3 and 4 Pax occupancy filled to capacity   3,148

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

15 hours ago, Lois R said:

I had breakfast solo. Yes, it was busy. Were you there?

Lois, I’ve been at Embassy Suites breakfasts over three-day weekends. They’re always packed, and many families with kids.

Hi Jim, John from Michael's Club told me to tell you hello🙂....he said you are super nice🙂

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Eclipse has 1,440 cabins with a capacity of 2,880 with two per cabin.

Legal maximum if all cabins with 3 and 4 Pax occupancy filled to capacity   3,148

Interesting numbers.

Seems the current issue with X is that they are maxing out capacity if they can.. kids sail free offers, move up program and encouraging 4 cruisers in certain cabins.. rather than 2 or 3.  It does make a difference!

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, hcat said:

Interesting numbers.

Seems the current issue with X is that they are maxing out capacity if they can.. kids sail free offers, move up program and encouraging 4 cruisers in certain cabins.. rather than 2 or 3.  It does make a difference!

Maximizing revenue and containing cost is the object of a for profit business.  So far the shareholders are enjoying the increased stock prices. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi, dinner in Lumiae was ok....I actually ordered something from the main dining room menu. I sat next to a nice couple from Denver. We chatted and ended up walking through the shops after dinner. I decided to get a latte in AL Bacio and they went on their way.

It has only been the first day, but what stands out to me is all the people and crowded elevators. I am used to ships that only hold 600 on average.

We find the key to the elevator crowd is to wait awhile and let the crowd go through. It’s much more pleasant and less stressful especially after  the shows. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lovevacadays said:

What has the weather been like so far?

Hi, it was sunny yesterday for sailday. Today is more cloudy and too windy for me to sit on the balcony....the wind puts a chill in the air for me.

I have been in the Solarium pool area and I love the warmth of it. In my opinion, they keep the public spaces much too cold. I have a warm up jacket with me all the time.

I don't remember if it was always cold indoors but for me? It is a negative.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Lois R said:

Hi, it was sunny yesterday for sailday. Today is more cloudy and too windy for me to sit on the balcony....the wind puts a chill in the air for me.

I have been in the Solarium pool area and I love the warmth of it. In my opinion, they keep the public spaces much too cold. I have a warm up jacket with me all the time.

I don't remember if it was always cold indoors but for me? It is a negative.

I have pretty much resorted to bringing a nice pullover sweatshirt or sweater for each cruise exactly for that reason.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi Jim, John from Michael's Club told me to tell you hello🙂....he said you are super nice🙂

Wow...Haven't sailed with John in a number of years.   We have always enjoyed sailing with him. 

Please send our regards.

2 hours ago, hcat said:

Interesting numbers.

I have a Ship Deployment Guide that was issued when they first started the revolution.  They show the capacity of each category -  The ship's maximum passenger count remains the same as it is based on life boats and certified capacity but a number of cabin were reclassified.     That is one of reasons that Aqua Class is limited to 2X per cabin.  The other is the capacity of Blu.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Wow...Haven't sailed with John in a number of years.   We have always enjoyed sailing with him. 

Please send our regards.

Will do🙂

Hi Lois, I have sailed Celebrity 15 plus times with the last 10 or so solo since my husband’s passing.  I recognize your name from the solo cruising boards and always appreciate your posts and comments.  With Celebrity’s recent upswing in solo pricing I thought my Celebrity days were sadly over.  I found an affordable October cruise on the Eclipse so I will be enjoying your comments/review.  Thanks for taking the time.  Greatly appreciated!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’ll second other comments - I appreciate all Lois contributes here. I am doing my first solo on Reflection in December, largely due to her (and others) thoughtful words.

Have a great cruise!

4 hours ago, jelayne said:

Maximizing revenue and containing cost is the object of a for profit business.  So far the shareholders are enjoying the increased stock prices. 

that is the obvious goal...but I am not a shareholder..just a customer

(not a sardine)

Comfort in certain areas  on a packed ship can suffer...We noticed the difference right away on Ascent..

We are probably headed  back to a land based AI  resort after next 2 cruises.  Comparable pricing, top shelf service, includes limo from airport, endless beach front, quiet and party pools,  great dining, and lots of space, esp in the suites!

Good to mix things up every so often!

• Like 4

Lois -- I was struck by your comment on the crowded elevator situation on Eclipse. For several years now (even before Covid), we have pretty much cruised on Millie Class ships -- mostly on Jazz Cruise charters. This year, we sailed on Silhouette -- and were amazed at the difference one less elevator bank makes! We found ourselves taking the stairs, as much as possible! 😣

20 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi, less as in? Less activities? Less what? I honestly loved my cruises with SS......so as for feeling lonely? The amount of people does not affect that...a person can feel lonely with 3,000 others on board or 600.....that would depend upon the person really. 

It is just an entirely different vibe.....if you want specific examples, let me know.

Perhaps you misunderstood when I said "You must have felt an improvement having 17 small ship cruises.".  I meant you sailed many times with X which has more cruisers than the smaller ships, so you must have felt an improvement with less people around you.  We don't think it would be lonely necessarily (not a good choice of words).  Just that we've only sailed on busy ships so we would definitely notice the difference (which could be a good thing).  Enjoy your cruise.  We're on her for the 4th time this Nov....last time in 2017.  Others are reporting her in pretty good shape.

23 minutes ago, Oceangoer2 said:

Perhaps you misunderstood when I said "You must have felt an improvement having 17 small ship cruises.".  I meant you sailed many times with X which has more cruisers than the smaller ships, so you must have felt an improvement with less people around you.  We don't think it would be lonely necessarily (not a good choice of words).  Just that we've only sailed on busy ships so we would definitely notice the difference (which could be a good thing).  Enjoy your cruise.  We're on her for the 4th time this Nov....last time in 2017.  Others are reporting her in pretty good shape.

Ahhhh, I did misunderstand, sorry. Yes there is a different feeling on a small vessel. Much of it is between the staff/crew and guests. Example would be if I needed something or wanted to either give a compliment....the doors to the Hotel Director are always open.....I could really get to know the person. Now I know some people don't care about that but I do.

And they also have what they call International Hosts/hostesses who help folks in their own languages when needed. That staff as well as the entertainers can interact with guests and for example, if I want to invite one of them to join me for dinner I may do so. They interact with guests much more and I think it is admirable.

• Like 5

On 5/25/2024 at 1:50 PM, Lois R said:

Hi, thought I would give this a try.....it has been 7 years since my last cruise on Celebrity and since that time I have been on 2 river cruises and another 15 with Silversea. So this is definitely going to be different, but hopefully fun too.

I am in NJ staying at The Embassy Suites. Room is not ready yet so I walked to Ruby Tuesday's for some lunch. Tbe hotel has transport to pick you up at the airport and tomorrow they will take me to the ship for 22.00. No charge for the airport run.

The weather is beautiful today. Sunny and high 70s. 

Anyway, if you have any questions I will try to answer them( to the best of my ability).

Happy I found this review. Just as we booked the Eclipse yesterday! Looking forward to reading!

On 5/25/2024 at 1:07 PM, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Hi, Lois!  Looking forward to hearing how your return to Celebrity goes.  I'll be on Eclipse in November, so will also be interested in what you think of the ship.  I haven't been on that ship for quite a while.

Looking forward to your thoughts, as well, as we are on Eclipse Aug/Sept for NE/Canada out of Boston for the first time so will be following along.

17 hours ago, Lois R said:

Will do🙂

Have you met the other Concierge, yet? If so, what is their name, and do you know by chance where they might be on their contracts (curious if they may be on end of Aug/first of Sept)? Thanks!

50 minutes ago, JDPCruisers said:

Have you met the other Concierge, yet? If so, what is their name, and do you know by chance where they might be on their contracts (curious if they may be on end of Aug/first of Sept)? Thanks!

Hi, what other conceiege? Did you mean the Retreat Manager? 

1 hour ago, JDPCruisers said:

Thought they might have two, but sounds like just the one? 

There is John and then there is his boss, whose name escapes me at the moment but when I saw him he was dressed in uniform......whites. I am quite sure he is some type of officer though.

1 minute ago, Lois R said:

There is John and then there is his boss, whose name escapes me at the moment but when I saw him he was dressed in uniform......whites. I am quite sure he is some type of officer though.

Ok, many thanks. From what I have read about John, hope he is still on when we are. Though, have always had great Concierges on X.