The Fleet Report and Daily for Thursday May 30th, 2024

Today is National Creativity Day, Water a Flower Day, and World MS Day

It's so hard to forget pain, but it's even harder to remember sweetness. We have no scar to show for happiness. We learn so little from peace.--Chuck Palahniuk, Diary

Meal Suggestion for today - Fiesta Bean Salad
Drink of the Day - Naked Pirate
Wine of the Day - Chaberton Estate Winery 2022 Pinot Gris
Destination of the Day - College Fjord

Today in History:
1911 1st Indianapolis 500: Ray Harroun driving a Marmon Wasp for Nordyke & Marmon Company comes out of retirement, wins inaugural event

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Ketchikan, Revillagigedo Island Alaska 06:30 - 13:00

Koningsdam

Ketchikan, Revillagigedo Island Alaska 11:00 - 19:00

Nieuw Amsterdam

Juneau, Alaska 08:00 - 17:00

Nieuw Statendam

South Queensferry, Great Britian 08:00 - 17:00

Noordam

Skagway, Alaska 07:00 - 21:00

Oosterdam

At Sea Destination Nafplio, Mycenae, Greece eta 05-31

Rotterdam

Bergen, Norway 08:00 - 17:00

Volendam

At Sea Destination Quebec City, Canada eta 05-31

Westerdam

Sitka, Baranof Island Alaska 08:00 - 16:00

Zaandam

At Sea Destination Juneau, Alaska eta 05-31

Zuiderdam

At Sea Destination Tallinn, Estonia eta 05-31

0530Alaska.thumb.png.9afa68784f4c147e47feecc91aa65c30.png

0530Atlantic.thumb.png.927962cdb02f391ffd908d1780cc0165.png

• Like 16
  • Thanks 29

Today’s Care List:

Kazu with foot infection and having foot pain

Vict0riann awaiting biopsy results

Graham and Pauline not feeling well

Marshhawk’s DH Catmando in a lot of pain

Rafinmd’s church member Paul with pneumonia

Flooding and storms across the US, with loss of life: PNG landslides

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza, hostages still held

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Tana with chronic pulmonary issues

StLouisCruisers’ DB with pulmonary fibrosis

RMLincoln’s DH with glaucoma issues, medication allergy, surgery

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Happy Birthday Kazu (Jacqui)!

Happy Birthday GTVCRUISER (Gary)!

Quartzsite Cruiser’s new golf cart

Cruising-along’s BFF’s DIL Amber discharged from rehab to home

dfish’s goddaughter Elizabeth’s new arrival Adelaide

Nickelpenny post back surgery, now home, doing well

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

2 days for Mr. Boston (Volendam June 1 to June 8 ) 7d Canada/New England Discovery

3 days for Luvteaching (Majestic Princess June 2 to June 9) Alaska Inside Passage

MrSnuggleupagus (Koningsdam to June 1) Alaska Inside Passage, Aliaschief (Azamara Onward WC to June 9, 156d World Voyage), StLouisCruisers (Zuiderdam to June 8 ) 28d Passage to Normandy & Baltic Jewels + Zuiderdam (June 8 to July 20) 42d Ultimate Viking Explorer & Passage and Mtn2Sea (Zuiderdam to June 8 ) 28d Passage to Normandy & Baltic Jewels

• Like 17
  • Thanks 27

Posted (edited)

Good morning friends!  We changed our time ahead one hour again last night so are 7 hours ahead of east coast time and 10 hours ahead of Pacific time.  In addition to that the ship left Warnemunde very late last night due to a train being hit by a tree on its way from Berlin to Warnemunde.  I got most of the story from a woman I sat and cross stitched with this morning, and the rest from the Captain’s noon report.  Apparently the train with 500 HAL Berlin tour passengers had a mechanical issue and pulled to a side track for a 20 minute repair.  While on the side track another train with a 27 person independent tour group passed the HAL tour train.  That second train had an accident with a tree, either ran into it or it fell on the train, I’m not sure.  Someone spoke to me during the Captain’s announcement and I missed that detail.  DH said he thought the Captain said something about a windshield so they may have run into the tree.  There were ambulances involved according to the lady I spoke with this morning.  Had the first train not had the mechanical issue it would have run into the tree and not the one which actually did. 

The 500 passengers arrived quite late to the ship, and the remaining 27 passengers arrived last I believe.  Hopefully none of them were injured.  The first 500 were able to eat something in the Lido which was held open for them.  The other 27 were able to dine in their cabins when they got back at 1 (or 2 a.m.).  I knew something was up because when we didn’t leave and I didn’t fall asleep, I would look outside occasionally.  I saw staff members walking  by our window going into the deserted terminal during the last hour. I saw the ship leave the dock and pass by the cruise terminal at 2:22 a.m. Tallinn time.  So not a lot of folks were in the Lido this morning when we went up an hour later than our usual time.  I think everyone needs a sea day today including me!  Tomorrow is Tallinn and we are scooting along at 21 knots trying to catch up. 

Thank you Rich @richwmn for today’s Fleet Report and Daily.  I’ll honor the days of celebration, and I think I’ll skip the meal, drink and wine.  Hurray for the first Indy 500 in 1911!  Thanks Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope and Ann @cat shepard for your reports today.

Cheers to all with special events and cruises to celebrate, especially Jacqui @kazu!  Happy Birthday!   Hope you find some happiness today as you celebrate another trip around the sun. Happy Birthday to Gary @GTVCRUISER!  Prayers to our friends here in need of them, DB, Alex and sons, the people of Israel and Ukraine, the hostages still held, and never forget the troops in the region.  Thank you Vanessa @JazzyV for your list keeping again today!

The port today is College Fjord, Alaska.  With two Alaska ports in a row, we must be trying to talk Graham @grapau27 and Pauline into bundling up and heading to our great state of Alaska!  This was the port before on Nov. 12, 2021.  Here’s the link for your convenience in grabbing your photos.

Please have a wonderful day, everyone!  Keep safe and stay well!

Edited by StLouisCruisers
  • Like 29
  • Thanks 13

Thank you for today's daily reports.

It is currently raining and 54°F.

3 good days.

I don't agree with today's quote.

I hope we all have a nice day.

We are going later to see Nieuw Statendam so I will report back then.

Graham.

• Like 27
  • Thanks 3

Indulge in the captivating allure of the "Naked Pirate" cocktail, a drink that combines the adventurous spirit of the high seas with the tantalizing flavors of the tropics. This cocktail pays homage to the daring and enigmatic pirates who roamed the Caribbean, their thirst for excitement matched only by their love for exotic libations. The Naked Pirate is a tantalizing blend of rum, tropical fruits, and a touch of sweetness, creating a libation that is both bold and refreshing. With its vibrant colors and tropical flavors, this cocktail is sure to transport you to a world of sun-soaked beaches and swashbuckling adventures.

Ingredients:

1/2 oz. lime juice
1 oz. orange juice
1 oz. pineapple juice
1/2 oz. simple syrup
2 oz. aged rum

Directions:

In a cocktail shaker with ice add rum, pineapple juice, orange juice, lime juice, and simple syrup. Shake vigorously for about 15 seconds.
Strain the cocktail into a glass filled with ice and garnish the glass with a pineapple wedge or a cherry(optional).

Screenshot 2024-05-30 at 6.23.23 AM.png

• Like 15
  • Thanks 23

Posted (edited)

Greetings from beautiful Port Charlotte.

77 this morning with a high of 95 this PM.

Good selection of days but not sure of the quote.

I like most beans (even Lima beans), so I’d probably like the meal.

We’ve been to Alaska but not to College Fjord.

Have a great day and stay well and safe.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 32

On Sept. 11 and Sept. 13, 2009 we were on the Sapphire Princess on our B2B Alaska cruises taking in College Fjord.  The following photos are from 9/11/09.

Here is DH checking out a glacier.

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLcXHSUIW-1LABxN8YmjJud?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1365188210

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKXc_Mf7exCY8eS-nXH1pQN?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1365188169

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLdSWWOm23W58rMNIi9qZ1_?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1365188216

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKQBFGwVGRZW8zTHhTZ1XVz?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1365188205

The Sapphire Princess has a covered promenade deck all the way around so this was a typical scene during the transit of the fjord.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKwFNZAIfvlvcSqhlbRlzC0?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1365188204

And with the overhead speakers mounted everywhere we could hear everything the naturalists were telling us.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVL9vD6Ze8f5w-7vtSvlCfY9?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1365188199

The weather on Sept. 13th wasn't as good so it worked out great having two opportunities to visit College Fjord.  Actually on the first week in Glacier Bay the weather was bad and we had to turn around and leave before we'd even got halfway in, so that we could try to "outrun" a Gulf of Alaska storm.  Even leaving early we were caught in the storm and suffered up to 28 foot waves.  But a couple days later we saw Glacier Bay again and it was the best day ever.  The sun was shining brightly, winds were null and the temps unusually mild.  That made up for the earlier visit tremendously!

• Like 28
  • Thanks 11

2 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good morning friends!  We changed our time ahead one hour again last night so are 7 hours ahead of east coast time and 10 hours ahead of Pacific time.  In addition to that the ship left Warnemunde very late last night due to a train being hit by a tree on its way from Berlin to Warnemunde.  I got most of the story from a woman I sat and cross stitched with this morning, and the rest from the Captain’s noon report.  Apparently the train with 500 HAL Berlin tour passengers had a mechanical issue and pulled to a side track for a 20 minute repair.  While on the side track another train with a 27 person independent tour group passed the HAL tour train.  That second train had an accident with a tree, either ran into it or it fell on the train, I’m not sure.  Someone spoke to me during the Captain’s announcement and I missed that detail.  DH said he thought the Captain said something about a windshield so they may have run into the tree.  There were ambulances involved according to the lady I spoke with this morning.  Had the first train not had the mechanical issue it would have run into the tree and not the one which actually did. 

The 500 passengers arrived quite late to the ship, and the remaining 27 passengers arrived last I believe.  Hopefully none of them were injured.  The first 500 were able to eat something in the Lido which was held open for them.  The other 27 were able to dine in their cabins when they got back at 1 (or 2 a.m.).  I knew something was up because when we didn’t leave and I didn’t fall asleep, I would look outside occasionally.  I saw staff members walking  by our window going into the deserted terminal during the last hour. I saw the ship leave the dock and pass by the cruise terminal at 2:22 a.m. Tallinn time.  So not a lot of folks were in the Lido this morning when we went up an hour later than our usual time.  I think everyone needs a sea day today including me!  Tomorrow is Tallinn and we are scooting along at 21 knots trying to catch up. 

Thank you Rich @richwmn for today’s Fleet Report and Daily.  I’ll honor the days of celebration, and I think I’ll skip the meal, drink and wine.  Hurray for the first Indy 500 in 1911!  Thanks Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope and Ann @cat shepard for your reports today.

Cheers to all with special events and cruises to celebrate, especially Jacqui @kazu !  Happy Birthday!   Hope you find some happiness today as you celebrate another trip around the sun.  Prayers to our friends here in need of them, DB, Alex and sons, the people of Israel and Ukraine, the hostages still held, and never forget the troops in the region.  Thank you Vanessa @JazzyV for your list keeping again today!

The port today is College Fjord, Alaska.  With two Alaska ports in a row, we must be trying to talk Graham @grapau27 and Pauline into bundling up and heading to our great state of Alaska!  This was the port before on Nov. 12, 2021.  Here’s the link for your convenience in grabbing your photos.

7 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

Today’s Care List:

Kazu with foot infection and having foot pain

Vict0riann awaiting biopsy results

Graham and Pauline not feeling well

Marshhawk’s DH Catmando in a lot of pain

Rafinmd’s church member Paul with pneumonia

Flooding and storms across the US, with loss of life: PNG landslides

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza, hostages still held

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Tana with chronic pulmonary issues

StLouisCruisers’ DB with pulmonary fibrosis

RMLincoln’s DH with glaucoma issues, medication allergy, surgery

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Happy Birthday Kazu (Jacqui)!

Happy Birthday GTVCRUISER (Gary)!

Quartzsite Cruiser’s new golf cart

Cruising-along’s BFF’s DIL Amber discharged from rehab to home

dfish’s goddaughter Elizabeth’s new arrival Adelaide

Nickelpenny post back surgery, now home, doing well

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

2 days for Mr. Boston (Volendam June 1 to June 8 ) 7d Canada/New England Discovery

3 days for Luvteaching (Majestic Princess June 2 to June 9) Alaska Inside Passage

MrSnuggleupagus (Koningsdam to June 1) Alaska Inside Passage, Aliaschief (Azamara Onward WC to June 9, 156d World Voyage), StLouisCruisers (Zuiderdam to June 8 ) 28d Passage to Normandy & Baltic Jewels + Zuiderdam (June 8 to July 20) 42d Ultimate Viking Explorer & Passage and Mtn2Sea (Zuiderdam to June 8 ) 28d Passage to Normandy & Baltic Jewels

Thank you for today's excellent reports Vanessa.

Pauline is a lot better and I am getting there but still cannot taste or smell anything 😭.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 8

Posted (edited)

Good morning Dailyites and thank you for the Daily Report.

It is a cool morning here at 63 degrees with a forecasted high of 87 degrees this afternoon.

Happy Birthday Jacqui @kazu!

I hope everyone has a great day! 

065.JPG

Edited by seagarsmoker
  • Like 30
  • Thanks 6

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.

Cool and clear this morning.  No, change that to cold, we've got a bit of frost!  Ugh! 

Three good days to celebrate.

I like the quote.

I'll pass on the meal, the drink sounds good, I hope the wine is good too.

Prayers for everyone on the Care List.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Have a terrific day.

• Like 32
  • Thanks 2

Good morning Dailyites and Thank you for the Reports!!

The choice of today's days are perfect!!  I think each has wonderful merit and reason!!

As for the quote...  I'm too much of an optimist and just don't get it!!  Sorry Chuck Palahnuik, who I don't know...  so maybe that's the point?????

The foods and beverages are delightful!!!

OH MY @StLouisCruisers  What an adventure and occurrence!  I haven't been on a cruise which had something like that happen!!!  Prayers for everyone involved!!!

@grapau27  I hope you fall in love with Nieuw Statendam!!  I love the smaller ships, but with great service and caring, the larger ships can be an experience!!!

And Happiest of Birthdays to our Birthday Dailiyites!!    @kazu and @GTVCRUISER

• Like 32
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Thank you for today's excellent reports Vanessa.

Pauline is a lot better and I am getting there but still cannot taste or smell anything 😭.

It's wonderful to hear that Pauline is a lot better!!  now, it's your turn to follow along and start feeling better!!!  HUGS!!!

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Thank you for today's daily reports.

It is currently raining and 54°F.

3 good days.

I don't agree with today's quote.

I hope we all have a nice day.

We are going later to see Nieuw Statendam so I will report back then.

Graham.

Good morning from Newcastle, England. Well, mad dogs and Englishmen come out in the noon day, but there is no sun today in Newcastle. Yes, Nieuw Statendam is here today until 6pm, 18:00. Our first time in Newcastle. Susan Wood, a favorite cruise director from years past, was from Newcastle. Her "tootoloo" was her sign off.

We took the free shuttle to Tynemouth and the Metro to the city centre. Visited Grainger Market and the Newcastle Cathedral so far and next is the Tyne High Bridge. 

Our last port, sea day tomorrow and then flying home Saturday. 

20240530_062052.jpg

20240530_063946.jpg

20240530_064006.jpg

20240530_111134.jpg

• Like 28
  • Thanks 6

21 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Cheers to all with special events and cruises to celebrate, especially Jacqui @kazu!  Happy Birthday!   Hope you find some happiness today as you celebrate another trip around the sun. Happy Birthday to Gary @GTVCRUISER!  Prayers to our friends here in need of them, DB, Alex and sons, the people of Israel and Ukraine, the hostages still held, and never forget the troops in the region.  Thank you Vanessa @JazzyV for your list keeping again today!

Wow, that is quite an excursion. Thankfully it wasn't much worse. We were in Berlin 4 days before boarding the Statendam in Copenhagen. 

• Like 27

I have a treat for everyone today - a Beach tree from DD's foyer!  Our little trip to Florida for college graduation must have inspired her!  Where she got the decorations for it, I have no idea!

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhG

I love the fishnet she used for a garland!!

Check out this jellyfish!

Gotta love a sea turtle.

A shark!

A seahorse...

and an octopus with a smile on his face!

This is one of my favorites (though I think I say that every time!).  What can she come up with next? 

• Like 34
  • Thanks 11

39 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

On Sept. 11 and Sept. 13, 2009 we were on the Sapphire Princess on our B2B Alaska cruises taking in College Fjord.  The following photos are from 9/11/09.

Here is DH checking out a glacier.

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLcXHSUIW-1LABxN8YmjJud?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1365188210

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKXc_Mf7exCY8eS-nXH1pQN?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1365188169

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLdSWWOm23W58rMNIi9qZ1_?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1365188216

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKQBFGwVGRZW8zTHhTZ1XVz?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1365188205

The Sapphire Princess has a covered promenade deck all the way around so this was a typical scene during the transit of the fjord.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKwFNZAIfvlvcSqhlbRlzC0?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1365188204

And with the overhead speakers mounted everywhere we could hear everything the naturalists were telling us.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVL9vD6Ze8f5w-7vtSvlCfY9?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1365188199

The weather on Sept. 13th wasn't as good so it worked out great having two opportunities to visit College Fjord.  Actually on the first week in Glacier Bay the weather was bad and we had to turn around and leave before we'd even got halfway in, so that we could try to "outrun" a Gulf of Alaska storm.  Even leaving early we were caught in the storm and suffered up to 28 foot waves.  But a couple days later we saw Glacier Bay again and it was the best day ever.  The sun was shining brightly, winds were null and the temps unusually mild.  That made up for the earlier visit tremendously!

Stunning photos Sandi.

Pauline still has nearly 5 years working if she wants before retirement so all being well we hopefully will have lots of time without work holiday restraints to properly see Alaska and Australia when she retires.

We have been fortunate in our 45 years together to have had many hotel and cruise holidays memories.

• Like 22

Happy Thursday everyone & thanks to Rich, Vanessa, Debbie, Ann & Dixie.

I will have to celebrate water a plant today for sure 🙂   That’s a really good quote and very true - it goes right to the heart of things IMO.

@StLouisCruisers OMG on that excursion and the train trip.  I sure hope everyone is ok.  That sounds like the train trip from H*ll.

Thank you everyone for the birthday wishes.  My paining back tells me I am another year older.  And, I did nothing to aggravate it yesterday - my legs hurt too much to accomplish anything yesterday 😢 

IMG_1862.thumb.jpeg.f9488f56ed98b394849b5cec3a1bfee5.jpeg

Looks like a beautiful day so I’m hopeful that my back eases up I can do a few little things.  I guess time will tell.

IMG_1857.jpeg.77b25f7b4c0918b5696e14a9cd16138b.jpeg

Prayers for those on the Car list, those suffering losses, grief, pain, health problems & those that need them. 🙏 Cheers to those celebrating and cruising 🍻 

IMG_1863.jpeg.dd2a5635cb175d80a39c1b80749611e6.jpeg

• Like 35
  • Haha 8