Debit Card Only

My daughter does not have a credit card & will not get one.  We are cruising in September on Utopia (4 day cruise) and have prepaid gratuities.  What hold will they put on her debit card at check in?

Just trying to plan so her husband (who is staying at home) does not freak out.

Could you make it a bit easier on her by including her on your account and then settling up when you get back home?  

• Like 1

Besides the initial hold, anything she buys will show up as a hold, with the final settlement being the final hold. All that cash will be unavailable until the holds drop (minus the final one that will be transacted). 

1 hour ago, EbayCruiser said:

My daughter does not have a credit card & will not get one.  We are cruising in September on Utopia (4 day cruise) and have prepaid gratuities.  What hold will they put on her debit card at check in?

Just trying to plan so her husband (who is staying at home) does not freak out.

You don’t need to provide a debit/credit card to your account. Your daughter can simply use cash to pay any charges she may accumulate during the cruise. I would not recommend using a debit card, since debit cards offer little protection against fraud unlike credit cards. 

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

You don’t need to provide a debit/credit card to your account. Your daughter can simply use cash to pay any charges she may accumulate during the cruise. I would not recommend using a debit card, since debit cards offer little protection against fraud unlike credit cards. 

We have three different debit cards.  One from the bank and two from credit unions.  All three have the visa logo and have the same protections as any other credit card. That being said I completely agree with you that a cash account is a far better choice.  

Edited by taglovestocruise

8 minutes ago, taglovestocruise said:

We have three different debit cards.  One from the bank and two from credit unions.  All three have the visa logo and have the same protections as any other credit card. That being said I completely agree with you that a cash account is a far better choice.  

we have a friend that has worked for Bank America for many years. He told us never to use a debit card as they do not have the same protection as a credit card.  I have to believe him since that is what he does all day…

1 hour ago, GTO-Girl said:

we have a friend that has worked for Bank America for many years. He told us never to use a debit card as they do not have the same protection as a credit card.  I have to believe him since that is what he does all day…

No Foreign Transaction Fees — Dreaming Of A Getaway? With The Flagship Card, You'll Earn 3X Points On Travel Purchases.

In addition to 24/7 account monitoring, Navy Federal members have the added protection of our Zero Liability policy when they make transactions with their Navy Federal debit or credit cards. That means you're not responsible for any reported, unauthorized charges.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, GTO-Girl said:

It depends on the bank. I can use my card with a Visa logo with zero liability. The problem for some people is the holds. If they keep a low balance they get hit with overdrafts and then fees.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, jalves said:

Could you make it a bit easier on her by including her on your account and then settling up when you get back home?  

The final onboard statement is very easy to read and individually notes each person by name and folio number and expenses they've charged onboard.

This should be an easy option for the OP to have their daughter use and then pay them back in cash.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I would not recommend using a debit card, since debit cards offer little protection against fraud unlike credit cards. 

What fraud are you expecting? You are giving one vendor, RCCL, your number.

15 hours ago, EbayCruiser said:

My daughter does not have a credit card & will not get one.  We are cruising in September on Utopia (4 day cruise) and have prepaid gratuities.  What hold will they put on her debit card at check in? Just trying to plan so her husband (who is staying at home) does not freak out.

Royal places an initial authorization of $100. As charges in excess of $100 accumulate, additional authorizations are made against your card. YOUR BANK (not the cruise line) controls how long those authorizations reduce your available funds. So, you should expect at least 2 times your onboard charges to be authorized on your card (since most banks can't match multiple small authorizations to the final bill from Royal). 

As pointed out, you could set up a cash account and keep feeding that as you accumulate charges. 

Charges could be as simple as Miami sales tax on drinks ordered while in port. Drink Upcharges. Starbucks. Dining charges. Snacks bought at a bar. Photos. Gift shop purchases. Specialty dining. MDR upcharges. 

15 hours ago, taglovestocruise said:
No Foreign Transaction Fees — Dreaming Of A Getaway? With The Flagship Card, You'll Earn 3X Points On Travel Purchases.

In addition to 24/7 account monitoring, Navy Federal members have the added protection of our Zero Liability policy when they make transactions with their Navy Federal debit or credit cards. That means you're not responsible for any reported, unauthorized charges.

I suspect those of us here who have access to the NFCU are probably in the minority. I do really like it though. And I especially like their credit card with no foreign transaction fees. 

Posted (edited)

I use a debit card but I have a “Vacation” checking account that I put money in to use on vacations be it a cruise or land based. I started that account so that if there are holds placed on the account and things like that it is not tying up my main account that I pay bills and things from. I can wait for the holds to drop off in the vacation account. In the stores or whatever on the islands if I make a purchase I use cash or a credit card. 

Edited by bigque
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, bigque said:

I use a debit card but I have a “Vacation” checking account that I put money in to use on vacations be it a cruise or land based. I started that account so that if there are holds placed on the account and things like that it is not tying up my main account that I pay bills and things from. I can wait for the holds to drop off in the vacation account. In the stores or whatever on the islands if I make a purchase I use cash or a credit card. 

That is what I did for years. I had a separate travel checking account that I used strictly for vacation so as to not tie up any of my bill paying account. It worked well for us. 

I now have a credit card I use for travel but I did not for probably at least 10 years or more

• Like 1

On 6/1/2024 at 8:41 AM, Ocean Boy said:

I suspect those of us here who have access to the NFCU are probably in the minority. I do really like it though. And I especially like their credit card with no foreign transaction fees. 

Proud NFCU member for over 20 years! 

• Like 1