Windjammer Etiquette

That is why I love the set up of the buffet on Celebrity Cruise ships.  The newer ships have many stations, eliminating lines-  But so do many Royal ships.  The old rust buckets are like school cafeterias-  Hate those.  Also hate when people don't wash (what do they do when exiting the bathroom?),  and uses utensils or their hands then start eating from their plate on line yuk- not a big fan of buffets unless first to get food.

19 hours ago, cruisingjandb said:

You read my mind on etiquette in the Windjammer. The last cruise we were on Liberty of the Seas a lot of rude people. I don't know if that was because it was only a 5 day cruise or it has just got that much worse. To be fair a lot of nice people too.

Perhaps some people are afraid the WJ will run out of food!  

Politeness and respect; too bad more don't exhibit such mature behavior.

• Like 1

WJ etiquette is clearly represented by RCCL leadership who allows those announcements "If you are done stuff your face, get out so others can stuff their face". I am totally offended every time those announcements are made in the WJ. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

WJ etiquette is clearly represented by RCCL leadership who allows those announcements "If you are done stuff your face, get out so others can stuff their face". I am totally offended every time those announcements are made in the WJ. 

I think those announcements are meant for those who sit at tables that are not eating.  They are on their devices, playing cards, board games etc.   Fine if not busy, but have witnessed poor pax aimlessly walking around with plates of food in their hands....not finding any available table to sit at. 

There are other areas in the ship to use for games, etc.     

• Like 11

3 hours ago, island lady said:

I think those announcements are meant for those who sit at tables that are not eating.  They are on their devices, playing cards, board games etc.   Fine if not busy, but have witnessed poor pax aimlessly walking around with plates of food in their hands....not finding any available table to sit at. 

Absolutely ^^^^ this.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, island lady said:

Totally rude and nasty. If I want to sit and sip a drink and read my email, I don't appreciate being told to "get out". RCCL could open additional dining venues, but they choose not to. It is there business decision to be rude and nasty. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

6 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

If I want to sit and sip a drink and read my email, I don't appreciate being told to "get out".

And people who want to sit and eat but can't because people are using the WJ during peak times for leisure time don't appreciate that.

• Like 11

On 6/17/2024 at 8:46 AM, smokeybandit said:

If there's a big gap from one station to the next, I'm going to that next station directly.  

Some days when it's busy that's how I plan my lunch. What stations are empty?  That's where I'm going.

I'm not waiting in a 30 person line with someone taking their good ole time assembling a burger when there's no one at the chicken finger station 10 feet away.

This is me too...  What I eat is directly correlated with what has the shortest wait time...

On 6/22/2024 at 6:31 AM, BirdTravels said:

Hmmm? 

You probably don’t want to hear my ideas for “Cattle prods” then? 🤷‍♂️

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Totally rude and nasty. If I want to sit and sip a drink and read my email, I don't appreciate being told to "get out". RCCL could open additional dining venues, but they choose not to. It is there business decision to be rude and nasty. 

Will have to disagree with you on this one. Id rather you finish your food and take your coffee and read your emails else where. Be polite and give others a place yo sit and eat 

• Like 11

On 6/18/2024 at 1:36 PM, LEMJMcC said:

Perhaps some people are afraid the WJ will run out of food!  

Politeness and respect; too bad more don't exhibit such mature behavior.

I would be happy if they just figured out how to chew with their mouths closed😱

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Windjammer- no comment since I avoid it at all costs!!

The key- typically you will get an email about 1-2 weeks before the cruise describing when you can board. We had the key recently on Harmony and it was lovely. I did select a boarding time while checking us in for the cruise since it’s just another box to fill out. But we ended boarding at the key time (it was earlier). 

2 hours ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

Id rather you finish your food and take your coffee and read your emails else where. Be polite and give others a place yo sit and eat 

This would be especially helpful on embarkation day, when everybody would like to have lunch, but can't because all the tables are taken up by people who apparently don't know that there are other places where you can sit with your luggage while waiting for the cabins to be opened.
This is why we make a point of eating before boarding.
But I'm not bitter. 🙂

• Like 1

On 6/22/2024 at 10:29 AM, island lady said:

pax aimlessly walking around with plates of food in their hands....not finding any available table to sit at. 

Been there done that but we walk around before we grab plates to eat to see if there are any tables available. Another reason why we elect not to eat in the buffets. No matter the cruise line. More times than not it's old farts (speaking as an old fart) that are hogging a table and not eating. 🙄

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/23/2024 at 1:41 PM, doghog said:

Been there done that but we walk around before we grab plates to eat to see if there are any tables available. Another reason why we elect not to eat in the buffets. No matter the cruise line. More times than not it's old farts (speaking as an old fart) that are hogging a table and not eating. 🙄

Thanks Dave.  I think many of us have "been there, done that" witnessing those poor pax walking around with full plates and no place to sit.  It's a dining room...not a game/card room...or email checking room.  Way too many other venues around the ship for that.  

• Like 4

On 6/22/2024 at 11:37 PM, BirdTravels said:

The rude and nasty is people taking up table space when they aren't eating and blocking others from sitting down to eat.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I struggled over this when I wanted some strawberries and the only fresh strawberries were behind a plastic window at the chocolate fountain that had 20 people in line waiting to be served.  I did go to the front and ask the attendant if I could just have a couple of strawberries.  If there were evil looks, I did not notice.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, zoepipes said:

I struggled over this when I wanted some strawberries and the only fresh strawberries were behind a plastic window at the chocolate fountain that had 20 people in line waiting to be served.  I did go to the front and ask the attendant if I could just have a couple of strawberries.  If there were evil looks, I did not notice.

You should have waited in line like everyone else. Possibly others waiting in line only wanted strawberries or just chocolate! 🙄 The server should have declined your request. You would have heard my comment.  

• Like 3