Lobster

I just read on another site that HAL no longer has lobster on formal nights. For those of you with recent experiences is that true? They were specifically addressing the Oosterdam. 

No lobster, except extra charge. Has been this way since resumption after Covid.

There have been some reports that on Grand Voyages and World Cruises, lobster is still served.

No more formal nights either. Just "dressy" nights.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

We had lobster on one Dressy night (no upcharge) on our 28-day Amazon Explorer cruise.  It was dubbed a legendary voyage, so maybe an exception there as well.  It was undercooked and not so great.

Edited by Big Dawg CC

There was a lot of hullaballoo in a previous thread lamenting that, despite the billing, what was served onboard was most assuredly NOT Maine lobster.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

25 day Legendary April this year: last Gala Night on menu: small, tasty, OK. Was surprised they didn't offer it at least twice.

The previous 14 day cruise didn't have lobster at all.

Edited by SilvertoGold

We had lobster offered several times both on the mdr menu and unlimited tails served in the lido on the 35 night legendary Tahiti last Feb/march.

Ill be on the 22 night Oosterdam and I read they served lobster last year on this Antarctica itinerary so I’m hoping for some again. 

I am reasonably confident that the answer depends on the itinerary you are sailing. 

1 hour ago, CruiserBruce said:

The lobster elite-ism never fails to dominate this threads. "My lobster is so much better than your lobster!!" 😄

Kinda like the crab cakes. It boils down to what you like.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Kinda like the crab cakes. It boils down to what you like.

I love crab cakes and I would prefer them to lobster for any MDR dinner.  Those in Pinnacle are just yummy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kay S said:

I love crab cakes and I would prefer them to lobster for any MDR dinner.  Those in Pinnacle are just yummy.

I like crab cakes too. I enjoy them often when they are on the menu, and I don't have the preconceived notion that they will be inferior because I'm from a place "famous" for their crab cakes, but I digress. Lobster is good when it's well prepared no matter where it comes from, and conversely even the best lobster from whichever local you prefer will be c**p if not prepared properly. Also remember lobster wasn't always the delacacy it is portrayed with today. It was once prison food, until it got a better press agent. Now cruisers complain that it is no longer included in the fare.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Last September on my Canada/New England, there was no lobster in the dining room on Dressy night. I was a bit sorry about that as it was the 25th Anniversary of my very first cruise and on that first cruise (also a Canada/New England itinerary), there was not only lobster, but FRESH lobster on the Bar Harbor stop. I know it was fresh as we rode the tender back to the shop with the lobsters for that night's Formal Night dinner.
I missed the lobster on *that* cruise, as I was really hoping for a lobster option (even a frozen, surcharge option) at dinner. But overall, I don't really notice or miss the lobster in the MDR, especially since several of my travelling companions have moral and ethical issues with lobster, so not having it on the menu makes meals less tricky for me personally.

4 hours ago, ellieanne said:

Last September on my Canada/New England, there was no lobster in the dining room on Dressy night. I was a bit sorry about that as it was the 25th Anniversary of my very first cruise and on that first cruise (also a Canada/New England itinerary), there was not only lobster, but FRESH lobster on the Bar Harbor stop. I know it was fresh as we rode the tender back to the shop with the lobsters for that night's Formal Night dinner.
I missed the lobster on *that* cruise, as I was really hoping for a lobster option (even a frozen, surcharge option) at dinner. But overall, I don't really notice or miss the lobster in the MDR, especially since several of my travelling companions have moral and ethical issues with lobster, so not having it on the menu makes meals less tricky for me personally.

Lobster has not been part of dressy night as a free menu item since the resumption after Covid. Except on some of the very long cruises. There has been crab and lobster themed excursions on the Canada/NE US cruises.

Lobster onboard is never going to be as good as when you buy it at a fish market and cook it at home.  Mass production on a cruise ship going to result in alot of overcooked and tough lobsters. If you get a good one, well, you are lucky, for most of them are over prepared and then drenched in butter for serving. Ah, the lobster debate continues.

• Like 1

We are on the Volendam in August for a Canada/NE cruise, the heart of the best lobster in the world. I have been following the MDR menus on the Navigator app for the current Volendam cruise in Canada and have NOT seen any free lobster on any night of the cruise. It is available for an upcharge as Fillet and 5 oz lobster tail for $18 on all nights. They also offer the Morimoto Spiced lobsters for $25 upcharge.  Not a problem for us since we will have plenty of time at any of our ports to get real fresh local cold-water lobster.

6 minutes ago, Gail & Marty sailing away said:

If you want to try something different, the lobster in the Pinnacle Grill is very good and yes it is a up charge.

I agree and in the past the lobster has been cold water or Maine Lobsters.

Thank for everyone's input. I've been sailing for many years (my 1st was in 1983) and have become quite use to the multiple changes that occur line to line. There were changes happening long before covid. This has happened across the cruise industry, it's not specific to HAL. I was just wondering if what I heard was true or not as some people that I travel with enjoyed the lobster. 

I had similar lobster last September on Zaandam. Then, we were back on Zaandam in February & I ordered it in MDR. That one was delicious! 4 months later on Westerdam, it was a12 oz monster & it also was tough. That was in PG.From now on, it’s the filet in the PG, but even that not as tender as prior to pandemic. I realize prices have gone through the roof….maybe, I’ll just have the Key Lime pie.

10 minutes ago, DoorCounty said:

I had similar lobster last September on Zaandam. Then, we were back on Zaandam in February & I ordered it in MDR. That one was delicious! 4 months later on Westerdam, it was a12 oz monster & it also was tough. That was in PG.From now on, it’s the filet in the PG, but even that not as tender as prior to pandemic. I realize prices have gone through the roof….maybe, I’ll just have the Key Lime pie.

And the candied 🥓 

IMG_20240112_170322073_HDR.thumb.jpg.8f4ede4af3966f9af9cf5dbce4d16738.jpg.22412d0e42f4280aa76baf6cf16649ee.jpg

On 7/1/2024 at 7:51 AM, terrydtx said:

We are on the Volendam in August for a Canada/NE cruise, the heart of the best lobster in the world. I have been following the MDR menus on the Navigator app for the current Volendam cruise in Canada and have NOT seen any free lobster on any night of the cruise. It is available for an upcharge as Fillet and 5 oz lobster tail for $18 on all nights. They also offer the Morimoto Spiced lobsters for $25 upcharge.  Not a problem for us since we will have plenty of time at any of our ports to get real fresh local cold-water lobster.

Get your lobster in one of the Canadian ports. You will pay 3 times the price in Bar Harbor.

• Thanks 1