Pacific Rim

We haven't cruised Regent in a couple years (Been doing some Viking itineraries.). Coming back to Regent soon.  We are curious if the quality of dining has improved in Pacific Rim.  When last we dined there, we gave it a poor review on CC and it was echoed by many.  Wonder if Regent took the hint.  We loved Compass Rose and the other specialty r's.

It’s my favorite restaurant onboard. I had no complaints on Explorer in March. I dined there about 3 or 4 times. Love the food, ambience and staff

3 hours ago, coljack said:

We haven't cruised Regent in a couple years (Been doing some Viking itineraries.). Coming back to Regent soon.  We are curious if the quality of dining has improved in Pacific Rim.  When last we dined there, we gave it a poor review on CC and it was echoed by many.  Wonder if Regent took the hint.  We loved Compass Rose and the other specialty r's.

Was it the menu, the service, the atmosphere, or something else that  you did not care for in Pacific Rim?  

I can understand why you may not have liked it.  Our first time was on Splendor.  Food was ok,  service was ok,  it didn’t really impress.  

Tried it again a week later and it got worst.  Our server seemed to be looking at anything but us, very odd.  Duck entree was a dried
out mess,  I didn’t complain, but I did mention it when the server cleared the plate.  She actually stuck her finger into it to verify my comment - really!  So very odd.  

Not even a year later, on Explorer, everything was excellent and we ate there three times.  Better manager?  Better chef?  Who knows,  but you need to follow up if odd happens.   I did follow up.  

One of our favourites also. On our most recent Splendor saving (last month) Pacific Rim was the only restaurant where we gave every single course of every single meal more than 8/10. We ate there 4 times. 

On Splendor now; and will continue on the next "Around Iceland" segment.  So, will again be at Pacific Rim.  

We will stick with the appetizers.  Recent experiences with several entrees on this segment were, ho-hum.  Tiger Prawns were flat; no taste.  Spouse's duck-infused plate was similar.  

But, again, to each his/her own.  Our appetizers were just-fine.  Service, as in all specialty restaurants has been consistently 5+.  

Attentive Staff.  Back to Pacific Rim in four days.  

GOARMY!

• Like 1

Pacific Rim has been our favorite on every Explorer class ship.  We try to get in as many times as possible.

That being said, everyone has favorites and dishes that are less appealing and bypassed. 

For myself, the Dr. Loosen Riesling was a loser, but it seems to have gone away.  The other is that strange pre-cocktail which seems to still be hanging on.

The chef matters! I loved the duck/watermelon salad the first time I had it (probably Explorer in 2017), but on Splendor in Dec 2023 it was terrible -- all salty duck, barely any watermelon.

Also the chef on Splendor on that same cruise put oyster sauce (or maybe it was shrimp paste) in the vegetarian Mussman Curry (!!!). When we were on Explorer this past May, the chef did not.

In my experience, Pacific Rim is the least consistent specialty restaurant from ship to ship. The others seem to be better at maintaining a standard across the fleet. YMMV :-).

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Kane said:

For myself, the Dr. Loosen Riesling was a loser, but it seems to have gone away.  The other is that strange pre-cocktail which seems to still be hanging on.

I don't know about the Riesling, but I, personally love the "strange pre cocktail"....kinda wish I could get it out by the pool....(giggle!)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

We were on Explorer in April and ate at Pacific Rim a couple of times.  And the food was good and the service was great.  We asked for some sake and that seemed to be an odd request but they soon got us some very good sake.  Our favorite restaurants are Compass Rose and Prime 7.

Whether you like the food in Pacific Rim is often a matter of personal taste.  My wife and I like it very much, especially the appetizers and plan to eat there numerous times on our next cruise in September.  The ladies have always provided excellent service.  Not sure if it is on the menu but they usually have Sapporo and Asahi beer available, both of which I like.

• Like 1

Thanks, everyone for the replies.  We'll be sure to give it another chance.  We lived in Asia for eleven years and love Asian food, but we don't expect aan authentic level.  Our experience on Splendor a couple years ago was so bad, everyone around us was sending meals back.  I'm thinking the posters who said it is all about the chefs on each ship are right.  I do agree that the appetizers were good--unfortunately that was the only part of the menu that was.  Thanks agasin, all.

Just now, Georgia_Peaches said:

A related question...how does one go about getting more than one reservation in any given specialty?  We will not have any VIP status when we sail.

After you get on board you there should be a table set up where you can get additional reservations.  As you accept your sparkling wine and go thru the mini find your life boat meeting area, just ask someone.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

how does one go about getting more than one reservation in any given specialty?

Telephone or visit the Dining Reservations desk.

If you already have your initial reservations booked on-line then leave it till the second or third day, as on boarding day they are usually dealing with those who did not manage to pre-book.

Best chance of securing additional reservations is on longer sailings and being flexible on timing and willingness to share.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you visit the Dining Reservations desk as soon as you arrive you can usually get into a specialty restaurant that evening. People tend to save their ressies for later in the trip so those restaurants aren't always fully booked the first night.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I echo Flossie.  Willingness to share a table will almost always get you a reservation using the methodss peoiple mentioned above..

• Like 1

Piggybacking on cAPS LOCK oN #21 comment.

Currently on Splendor.

First night which began last night on second segment of our BtB: We booked Chartreuse about three months ago for 1830H seating.  .  .  

Leisurely dinner which stretched out 2 1/2 hours.  Delightful.  Only about 50% capacity of that venue was seated while we were there. Do the math.   

Based on prior experiences with Regent's many ships over the past 20 years--this has been the experience.  Even if you book late: show up at door at any of the Specialty restaurants on that first night, and chances are very good you can get a table for 2--if that is your preference.  

GOARMY!

• Like 1

On 7/6/2024 at 6:18 AM, cAPS lOCK oN said:

If you visit the Dining Reservations desk as soon as you arrive you can usually get into a specialty restaurant that evening. People tend to save their ressies for later in the trip so those restaurants aren't always fully booked the first night.

This is good advice.  My wife visits the reservations desk (usually opposite the main desk) on all voyages when we board.  She is almost always successful.

She then visits the desk 2-3 times per week to attempt to get more visits.  Well worth the effort.

• Like 2