The Fleet Report and Daily for Sunday July 7th, 2024

1 hour ago, Seasick Sailor said:

I thought @richwmn was on our cruise but must have missed him on Jacqui's list.. 

I am on the Majestic Japan, and I thought I mentioned on the FCL. I'll mention it again on the new list.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, smitty34877 said:

I look like an alpaca for sure! The only saving grace is a hat!

i appreciate your kind words and I think I am crawling out of the pit I was in now. I can tell things are better when I  can laugh again, easily. Did your sister swim in your pool at her last visit?

Terry, my Sister found the first step very difficult and decided not to go in. I had pavers installed on the patio a few years ago & they made the first step into the pool & hot tub a couple inches higher than they were. Even with a great railing she didn’t dare. 

One of the few times I wish I had a walk in pool. 

So we moved a chair out further near the pool, so she could enjoy the amazing breezes that blessed us yesterday.

And then we ate. 😎

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, 

Thank you so much everyone for the bon voyage wishes!! My friend is very excited and it's rubbing off on me I guess. It's supposed to be 90F in Seattle today - yikes! 

I'd love to take a walk again with my Dad as he's been gone 7 years. Mom was doing well last night and I'll check in with her from the ship today. She gave my friend and I each a small package when we visited two weeks ago and we have orders to pack it and open it on ship. 

The weather for the cruise doesn't look too bad so am hoping that forecast holds. Ketchikan looks the best and Juneau isn't too bad. Sitka is showers. I can handle that. 

Thanks again!!!!

Karen

• Like 33

Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

@Haljo1935earlier this year you were talking about the ponds of water in your yard, now you're so dry - what extremes!

Yes and it seems with little time in between. The cracks in this area get really bad; this is from Dallas

https://youtu.be/6FgAqFGrtTY?feature=shared

Mine are nowhere near that big, but by summer's end, they will be big enough one of the dogs (or us) could break a leg in them. It's kinda scary.

Edited by Haljo1935
Additional comment
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 2

If you like Spanish hams or octopus, A Coruna is the place!!

Prinsendam May 2011

LaCaruna-68.thumb.jpg.21273ec7c21141a3e1df8e6b1fb34aaf.jpg

The King of Hams!

LaCaruna-69.thumb.jpg.6b6c535d8e3e2da691d2b7185588c197.jpg

Lots of them.............

LaCaruna-72.thumb.jpg.02326912421cfa54953333587b35bfb3.jpg

• Like 26
  • Thanks 3

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, luvteaching said:

...I'd love to take a walk again with my Dad as he's been gone 7 years. Mom was doing well last night and I'll check in with her from the ship today. She gave my friend and I each a small package when we visited two weeks ago and we have orders to pack it and open it on ship...

Happy to hear your mom continues to do well after her surgery. 

That's so exciting she gave you & your friend something to open on the ship. I hope it makes you smile.

Edited by Haljo1935
  • Like 24

It was a nice church service. Relish taking the time to be thankful for all our Blessings. It’s a nice sunny day here and I just checked a local beach cam. Gulf is still relatively calm with lite surf. 
Haven’t anything planned for today. Will watch some of the NASCAR race through the streets of Chicago. Yesterday’s race there was pretty exciting.

We can always hit the neighbors open invitation to use their pool. Folks have often asked why we didn’t put in a pool. Why spend all that money and time maintaining a pool when we can swim anytime at neighbors. Glad we don’t have one with all our travel.

Hope you Texans have a safe and non damaging day with Beryl on the way. B.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, tjcox9 said:

If you like Spanish hams or octopus, A Coruna is the place!!

...Lots of them.............

LaCaruna-72.thumb.jpg.02326912421cfa54953333587b35bfb3.jpg

I like a good ham. That 🐙 is creepy

• Like 11
  • Haha 13

Posted (edited)

Good morning to all. As usual it is sunny and dry. Temperature when dogs and I walked was 55F... high will be high 80's. I am managing to keep the house cool with shades and the ceiling fans. Dogs are fine with short walks during the day.... the sidewalks are much too hot for little doggie feet.

Today will be spent getting all the stuff off of several shelves in the living room and the shelves dusted. I am going to pack some of them up to go to the thrift store or scottie auction for rescue (these have to mailed to Denver). We will see how that goes. This week looks like a good one to concentrate on the house as all that is my schedule beside dog walks is the window cleaner.

Am watching the bird's nest behind my porch light.... I keep seeing little heads. When my window washer is here and up on his ladder I will ask him to peek over and see what he can see since he will be working close to that light. I don't have much hope that they will survive to fly away.... Mom was not too bright on selecting nesting location.

Need to get cracking on work around here.... and will start by making more coffee. I think I am going to have to hire someone to come in and help me move some things around and pack things up. I find I really can not work hard for more than a couple of hours at time . Sigh.... and my Iris bed needs weeding!!!

Susan

Edited by durangoscots
  • Like 29

I agree with the definition of a dive bar from @0106. No daughters to take on a walk. Is global forgiveness different from regular forgiveness?

No shrimp here, please, and no pina coladas. For a Sauvignon Blanc, let's try the 2021 from Keuka Lake Vineyards, $22, which confusingly is made from grapes grown by Hazlitt 1852 on Seneca Lake. "It is delightfully soft and expressive, with some peachy characteristics with a bit of chalky minerality."

A Coruna wasn't skipped on the Spanish Farewell last year, because it wasn't on the itinerary to begin with, but if it had been it would have been skipped.

queencrab.thumb.gif.47075ece5b4a2d864b53ce535ee7b965.gif

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Posted (edited)

Must post quickly, as it is nearly time to leave for church.  I am always amazed at how many posts there are on the Fleet Report that I have to read in the morning, thank you everyone for all the news.  I had lovely walks with my father.  He was a "trained" window shopper, and wherever we went he would take me to see what was available!  No money changed hands, but it was always interesting.  Especially in Switzerland, although I did get my first watch there, after a lot of looking.

Now that we are drinking boxed wines, we are alternating between sauvignon blanc and pinot grigio, and I would love the shrimp, but I have got things ready to make potato salad today, and we'll have that with some of the BBQ chicken I got at Costco the other day.  Today is supposed to be the hottest day of our "heat dome", so I thought I would not cook.  

A Coruna was on a cruise we had booked last year, but cancelled.  Maybe next time!   I mentioned the other day that I paid for our next cruise using the new system on HAL - well the next day Pat got an email from the bank asking if the charge was legit - as no credit card had been used.   It took us a while to figure that one out - but we decided that it meant no credit card had been inserted or swiped on a device.

I'll say a prayer for all my Daily friends!  Hugs,  Ann

Edited by Vict0riann
  • Like 32

🍾 Bon Voyage Karen 🎉 Enjoy it all and your friend!  

Thank you @grapau27 Graham for the fun sermon. It resonates with me, ebb and flow, story of my life!  

Pina Colada is a fav of mine, on those rare occasions. I’ve been to a few Dives, long ago and not for pina coladas!  Shrimp always sounds good to me!  

My dad’s father died when my dad was 4. I figure dad didn’t have much of a role model. Can’t recall ever taking a walk with my dad but he did take me to the office one Saturday when I was little, before I could read. He sat me at a desk with a box of rubber stamps, an ink pad and a pile of paper!!  Then he took me to the automat where I got a huge piece of lemon meringue pie!  I’m glad to have at least that special memory, the rest has been a lifelong recovery. 

Yesterday I had a calm, quiet day of no requirements… finished my book-club book, watched tennis…. 
Today DH takes his last steroid eye drops!  End of the post-surgery regime we’ve been in since January. We’ll go back early August to re-group into whatever the new plan will be. Amazing! Always grateful. Thank you Vanessa and all here for walking alongside!  

Blessings to all in need of healing, comfort or hope!  Strength, courage, peace in the midst of turmoil…. 
Cheers to those celebrating, Life is Good🌈

@Mr. Boston Happy to hear you’re meeting neighbors!  Relocating is so disorienting.

@Seasick Sailor Joy, thanks for sharing your story. DH and I also retired early - at 56 and 44. Also started 2nd “career”. We were very fortunate to enjoy that sweet spot of life to have time and energy together, and  a little money for travel! We bought a used 5th wheel trailer in 1999, plus discovered cruising in 2003!  We shifted to a 55+ in Maryland in 2021 during Covid, as a stepping stone to find our independent living home for life which we moved to last fall here in New Jersey, closer to family. No regrets!  New life means new opportunities!  

Enjoy today my friends! Stay well and safe, Maureen  

• Like 31
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, luvteaching said:

Good morning, 

Thank you so much everyone for the bon voyage wishes!! My friend is very excited and it's rubbing off on me I guess. It's supposed to be 90F in Seattle today - yikes! 

Karen

Have a wonderful trip!  Very exciting for your friend!

• Like 22

Good morning, 

I'd love to take a walk again with my Dad as he's been gone 7 years. Mom was doing well last night and I'll check in with her from the ship today. She gave my friend and I each a small package when we visited two weeks ago and we have orders to pack it and open it on ship. 

The weather for the cruise doesn't look too bad so am hoping that forecast holds. Ketchikan looks the best and Juneau isn't too bad. Sitka is showers. I can handle that. 

Thanks again!!!!

Karen

Bon Voyage!🛳🍾

• Like 22

25 minutes ago, RMLincoln said:

...Today DH takes his last steroid eye drops!  End of the post-surgery regime we’ve been in since January. We’ll go back early August to re-group into whatever the new plan will be. Amazing! Always grateful. Thank you Vanessa and all here for walking alongside!  

Congratulations on achieving that milestone (that's both you & your DH as it is was definitely a team effort)!!🥂

🙏 🤞it was all successful and the August regime is easy to follow & minimal.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Happy Sunday morning and thanks for the daily and fleet report.  It is fun and relaxing to read all the posts every morning for me.  I have been to several dive bars in my life, global forgiveness is an unachievable aspiration (IMHO), and my Dad was not a very touchy-feely person and I don't remember ever have walks with just him and me.  I don't agree with the quote, the meal sounds interesting, no to the drink and wine, and I have never been to Spain - one of the few European countries I have not been to but will rectify that soon!  Awh, Martina.  

IMG_8002.thumb.JPG.03a1c3590f5cd78c476aff6eba92af10.JPG

Yesterday we hit 108F officially and it is predicted to be the same today.  Humidity is higher in the morning (presently ~ 33%) but it goes down as the day progresses.  As I always open the door in the morning as I drink my coffee and read, a huge Scarab Beetle wanted to come inside and join me.  I have a screen door but it does not completely cover the door.  Mr. Beetle kept trying and he finally landed and crawled under the door.  I had to get up and say "Nope" and try to usher him out.  I stood blocking him and he was not happy - kept trying to get around me.  I succeeded!!  I do like bugs and little critters, to the chagrin of my friends and coworkers.  

ScreenShot2024-07-07at08_51_58.png.3d6ea9752d3e9988b4e0cff524b3be2e.png

Nothing on the agenda today but I probably should do some laundry.  The hummingbirds have been fed so they are happy.  Maybe an instant pot bread will be made.  Who knows.

@aliaschief I love Downton Abbey and have watched it all, including the movies, several times so I totally get your DW obsession!! 

@luvteaching Bon Voyage!!  Have a great time!!

Anyone in lower Texas, I hope Beryl just calms down!!

Thoughts for all and cheers to those celebrating.  Have a great day!!

Edited by Nickelpenny
correction
  • Like 29

Good morning and Happy Sunday. I am not sure what yesterday’s high was, maybe 105. I just know that it was still over 100 at 6:15 when I got in the pool. 

Gosh I wish I could take a walk with my father. He used to take me when he walked to the post office for the mail. He was a small business owner, he was the only dentist in town, so had a ritual every day. He died way too young. 

I don’t think I’ve been to a dive bar. Forgiveness is important. 

Funny, I made a shrimp salad yesterday using an Italian dressing. My Garlic Expressions dressing arrives today, yay!  I had to buy 3 bottles but I’ll use it and it can also be used as a marinade. Anyway, I didn’t care for the salad because it had capers in it, it just didn’t seem to work together well with the shrimp. So next time no capers, I like them just not in a salad. Here’s the recipe, just remember to not add the capers. 
Lidia’s Shrimp Salad

Joy @Seasick Sailor , I remember when you moved to Georgetown during the shutdown and the storage container didn’t arrive on time!  

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 28
  • Thanks 3

Good morning all!

Today is the first of our hottest days (90 or higher).  No rain in sight. Thankfully our humidity has stayed low below 50%.   I think I'll stay in and get the laundry done, but also want to get the last of the local strawberries.  They're soooo good!

Interesting collection of days.  I miss my Dad so much, he passed at age 101 6 years ago.  We were very fortunate, he was a blessing and one of a kind.

I think I'd like everything, the drink, wine and meal.  All the recipes look good to me (minus any cilantro of course) 😉  No shrimp here though, we'll be having stuffed peppers tonight.  We haven't been to the port, thanks all for the great photos!

The fireworks have continued all weekend, but nothing like on the 4th. And only short bursts so the cats have been fine.  Hoping it ends today.

After 3 days at the Grand Canyon DD and family are heading to Zion today.  They are having the trip of their lives, I'm so happy for them.  The boys have been troopers in all the heat (and there has been a lot of that!) still hiking and biking every day.

Bon Voyage Karen @luvteaching!

Nancy @ottahand7 That cake is amazing!!

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 30

Good morning, 

Thanks again!!!!

Karen

Bon Voyage Karen!!  ⛴⛴⛴

Enjoy your cruise with your friend. Please let us know what your DM gifted the two of you. 

19 minutes ago, Nickelpenny said:

Happy Sunday morning and thanks for the daily and fleet report.  It is fun and relaxing to read all the posts every morning for me.  I have been to several dive bars in my life, global forgiveness is an unachievable aspiration (IMHO), and my Dad was not a very touchy-feely person and I don't remember ever have walks with just him and me.  I don't agree with the quote, the meal sounds interesting, no to the drink and wine, and I have never been to Spain - one of the few European countries I have not been to but will rectify that soon!  Awh, Martina.  

IMG_8002.thumb.JPG.03a1c3590f5cd78c476aff6eba92af10.JPG

Yesterday we hit 108F officially and it is predicted to be the same today.  Humidity is higher in the morning (presently ~ 33%) but it goes down as the day progresses.  As I always open the door in the morning as I drink my coffee and read, a huge Scarab Beetle wanted to come inside and join me.  I have a screen door but it does not completely cover the door.  Mr. Beetle kept trying and he finally landed and crawled under the door.  I had to get up and say "Nope" and try to usher him out.  I stood blocking him and he was not happy - kept trying to get around me.  I succeeded!!  I do like bugs and little critters, to the chagrin of my friends and coworkers.  

ScreenShot2024-07-07at08_51_58.png.3d6ea9752d3e9988b4e0cff524b3be2e.png

Nothing on the agenda today but I probably should do some laundry.  The hummingbirds have been fed so they are happy.  Maybe an instant pot bread will be made.  Who knows.

@aliaschief I love Downton Abbey and have watched it all, including the movies, several times so I totally get your DW obsession!! 

@luvteaching Bon Voyage!!  Have a great time!!

Anyone in lower Texas, I hope Beryl just calms down!!

Thoughts for all and cheers to those celebrating.  Have a great day!!

Pennie, thank you for the weather from yesterday!  I usually try to look it up but I forgot yesterday. 

I find those beetles on the patio, often upside down. 

BTW, your home made 4th of July feast looked wonderful!  You have a knack. 

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Transferring 📲 stuff from old phone to the new one is a slow go; learning to use it is an even slower experience. Screenshot function is same as on old phone ☎️: volume down & power button together. Challenge is they're now on the same side of the phone directly over/under each other so it's a very awkward unnatural movement. 🤞there's a button shortcut I can assign.🤷‍♀️

Yard guy is supposed to be here this weekend to clean out the front flowerbed so DH can put in the flowers we brought from his mom's house. He didn't show yesterday, not heard from him today. He didn't say he would not be here due to holiday, which I would be ok with, but not knowing & waiting makes me twitch a bit🤷‍♀️

I have a couple errands I must do, so he has 30 minutes to get here before I head out.

🙋‍♀️ for The Garden Club or anyone w/Crepe Myrtle knowledge - our CMs are "shedding" much more than usual. Is it the excess rain we had earlier or...?

There's another one in the same yard that's doing it even more. They're both white; the pink and fuchsia ones aren't doing it.

20240706_120623.thumb.jpg.a25e3fcdb2ef88a8dc5c33e90a2d531d.jpg

20240706_120625.thumb.jpg.c4db3ee667701570e574419ad1e4c296.jpg

Edited by Haljo1935
Additional comment
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 2