The Fleet Report and Daily for Monday July 8th, 2024

5 hours ago, kazu said:

It’s so rare to write cheques these days - I’m just glad I still had some and remembered how.

Yes. When I can't pay something by EFT, I usually have my bank issue a check (we do not have cheques south of the border) and mail it. Right now I need to write one to the sewer district, because the bank says not to use their service for government obligations. I had been waiting for a corrected bill, because right after I received the first one, they announced that all the bills had been based on 14 months instead of 12.

• Like 12

12 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

Yes. When I can't pay something by EFT, I usually have my bank issue a check (we do not have cheques south of the border) and mail it. Right now I need to write one to the sewer district, because the bank says not to use their service for government obligations. I had been waiting for a corrected bill, because right after I received the first one, they announced that all the bills had been based on 14 months instead of 12.

Cheques still exist in Canada..  there are some things that have to be done by cheque.  It’s rare.,   They clear astronomically fast here.  A cheque cashed today will be out of the issuer’s account the next day so your funds b better be in your account.  After that, the rent will be paid by automatic debit.  

E-transfer is the primary method of payment for lot of contracted services.  Instantly out of your account and in theirs.

• Like 13

2 minutes ago, kazu said:

Cheques still exist in Canada..  there are some things that have to be done by cheque.  It’s rare.,   They clear astronomically fast here.  A cheque cashed today will be out of the issuer’s account the next day so your funds b better be in your account.

Exactly the same here, including the rapid clearing. It's just that we are required to use checks; cheques are not allowed.

• Like 4
  • Haha 15

I slept for a large part of the afternoon.  I had a small bowl of popcorn and got the chills again.  They started this morning right after breakfast.  Temp went back up and so did heart rate.  Oxygen stays steady in the ok range and BP is fine.  Blood glucose is high for me at 158.  It was 85 this morning.  Second Covid test was negative.  BP is 97/55.

Going back to bed and hoping I have what @bennybear had and that tomorrow is a normal day.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 12

56 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Some color for your afternoon 🙂  

"Radiant Fragrance".  It smells so good!  The blooms don't last long though, sadly.

RadiantFragrance.thumb.jpg.add07a6b29db91a360b1f374f25222e1.jpg

The Lilies are loving this heat.

redlilies2.thumb.jpg.0294af68c357307be19d3e50f7c6a729.jpg

pinklilies2.jpg.3e3e8bd54481aad51c014bc792ea5a88.jpg

Beautiful flowers, Carolyn.

6 minutes ago, dfish said:

I slept for a large part of the afternoon.  I had a small bowl of popcorn and got the chills again.  They started this morning right after breakfast.  Temp went back up and so did heart rate.  Oxygen stays steady in the ok range and BP is fine.  Blood glucose is high for me at 158.  It was 85 this morning.  Second Covid test was negative.  BP is 97/55.

Going back to bed and hoping I have what @bennybear had and that tomorrow is a normal day.

Debbie, I hope it is a 24 hour whatever, and you are feeling good in the morning.

Lenda

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cruising-along said:

Some color for your afternoon 🙂  

"Radiant Fragrance".  It smells so good!  The blooms don't last long though, sadly.

RadiantFragrance.thumb.jpg.add07a6b29db91a360b1f374f25222e1.jpg

The Lilies are loving this heat.

redlilies2.thumb.jpg.0294af68c357307be19d3e50f7c6a729.jpg

pinklilies2.jpg.3e3e8bd54481aad51c014bc792ea5a88.jpg

Your flowers are beautiful!

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Nice warm dry day here in the Pacific NW.  Got an email with a couple of pictures of a large fir tree that appears to be dying and is on the edge of my 4-acre property in Keyport.  The neighbor was worried that it would fall onto his property and maybe hit one of his buildings.  I checked it out and it looks like it is leaning into my property if it falls and there isn't much reason it would fall anyway.  Would be a good tree to cut for firewood, though.

I have been to HK many times, beginning in 1959 when our Navy ship stopped there for a few days.  At that time there were refugees from Communist China sleeping on the sidewalks. We used to drink with English sailors at their China Fleet Club in Victoria.  Have returned many times, both on Navy ships and cruise ships.  As mentioned, at one time it was the place to go to have a tailor made suits or shirts.  Don't think I want to return either to Hong Kong or to China due to current government policies.

Have always enjoyed math.  I still have some of my high school and college math books and earned a math degree while still in the Navy as I expected to study engineering later.  Didn't do that and got my Masters in Education and ended up as a teacher.

Ray 

• Like 19

I don't think that most people have gotten very far with Math 1.0 yet.

It's 91° and I don't want any black bean soup, or any soup that is very spicy. I think I'd rather have an ordinary mimosa, made with orange juice. For a Cabernet Sauvignon, Weis Vineyards  2021, $29.99, a bit of a surprise since they specialize in German varietals. "A medium to fuller bodied Cabernet Sauvignon with notes of black cherries, black raspberry, sweet tobacco, and a light cedar spice accompanied with medium tannins and a long finish."

My plans have been seriously disarranged by the death of a woman here of very high social standing:from one of  the Grand Old Families that things are named for, married to a prosperous businessman. The rabbi of the congregation is away, as he frequently is, and a former rabbi from 40 years ago is officiating at the funeral, but then I'm on for prayer services at their home for three evenings; it could have been for six. The funeral is at the inconvenient time of 1:00 p.m., and with  burial across the river and then a lunch it will take most of the afternoon. The sanctuary of the synagogue, where we hold almost all funerals (this is very rare) has no AC.

The suggestion to friends who want to visit them in the evening is to come at 6:00, but the prayer service won't be until 7:00 and I think that most will try either to arrive or leave right before it.

outlawsmeaning.jpg.9852d2484549c5ca9e381b38e38bf9e9.jpg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Slices of English bacon in a bread roll.

Ah, English Bacon.  I only ever got it on Cunard and I miss it.

Roy

• Like 10

6 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Roy

Thank you Roy.

Pauline and I prefer smoked back bacon and our Sarah prefers unsmoked back bacon.

Screenshot_20240708_224108.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 6

3 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Roy

Is this the same as "back bacon"? We traveled through the UK over 70 to 80 days. Allen loved the UK bacon, served in different ways.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Just now, grapau27 said:

Thank you Roy.

Pauline and I prefer smoked back bacon and our Sarah prefers unsmoked back bacon.

Graham we posted at the same time. Thank you for the information. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Seasick Sailor said:

Graham we posted at the same time. Thank you for the information. 

I'm always happy to help Joy.

Best regards to you both.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Thank you Roy.

We have many Irish restaurants here in our neighborhood and most people want this type of bacon. 

• Like 8

1 minute ago, highscar said:

Back bacon can be purchased as a loin and can be sliced to your preferred thickness. 

Our back bacon can be thick cut or thin cut.

Screenshot_20240708_225643.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, highscar said:

Yes I know about corn meal but it is easy to wash or wipe it off as some do.   A good bacon either way yum yum. 

👍 absolutely.😋

• Like 5

They serve a “Full English Breakfast” on HAL which includes English Back bacon.  It is also available in the Lido.  

• Like 8

I believe Peameal Bacon is actually pickled pork loin. Regardless, it is delicious! I'll be heading back to the Kawarthas in a couple of weeks. Peameal and butter tarts are on the top of the shopping list...

• Like 9

1 minute ago, 0106 said:

They serve a “Full English Breakfast” on HAL which includes English Back bacon.  It is also available in the Lido.  

But.. it is nothing related to what the English Breakfast is in UK.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2