Using a cruise ship for round trip transportation ?

Hi everyone,

I know my question is a bit far fetched but I feel as though the experienced cruisers on this forum are quite knowledgeable in the finer details about cruising.

Would any or all cruise lines permit us to go from Port Everglades to Aruba , debark the ship , stay a few days , or a week ect ….

then return from Aruba back to port Everglades on the next scheduled cruise ?
Thanks in advance for your replies.

Posted (edited)

Similar situation, but different island and departure port.  A number of years ago we met a couple on an RCCL ship who departed San Juan with us, but disembarked in Barbados to spend a week there to reboard the same ship on it's next itinerary to return to San Juan.  They explained they had permission from both RCCL and the Barbados officials to do so, and were required to pay for two full cruises in order to complete the round trip. We had to take them at face value as we watched them depart the ship in Barbados with their suitcases.  So at least at one time, yes, you could do that.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

Unfortunately, no. Cruise ships are not ferries. Plus, it could be a PVSA issue, or cause a different immigration issue on return.

Might have immigration issues, but not a PVSA violation as it is not between 2 US ports.

And I'm not even sure about the possible immigration issue as it is 2 separate cruises. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Might have immigration issues, but not a PVSA violation as it is not between 2 US ports.

And I'm not even sure about the possible immigration issue as it is 2 separate cruises. 

Well, there is difference in immigration when arriving by cruise ship for a day visit, versus a week's visit. The person would probably need to be processed separately. However, from the US, this would make the cruise an open loop versus closed loop, even if only one person got off, and could cause immigration issues for the ship as a whole when it returns to port. This is the main reason why the cruise line most likely won't allow it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Why is this any different than flying to a location to pick up a cruise?   I’m sure some regulation says no, but makes no sense to me if you want to do 2 cruises that go from point A to Point B. 

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, StollyBolly said:

Why is this any different than flying to a location to pick up a cruise?   I’m sure some regulation says no, but makes no sense to me if you want to do 2 cruises that go from point A to Point B. 

If there is a cruise from Port Everglades to Aruba, as well as a separate cruise that goes from Aruba to Port Everglades, it's permissible to book them both.

That said, disembarking from a cruise that goes from Port Everglades round trip and stops at  Aruba, is generally not allowed.  Likewise, it's unlikely that someone can just get on a ship in Aruba that's doing a Port Everglades round trip.   

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, horseymike said:

Hi everyone,

I know my question is a bit far fetched but I feel as though the experienced cruisers on this forum are quite knowledgeable in the finer details about cruising.

Would any or all cruise lines permit us to go from Port Everglades to Aruba , debark the ship , stay a few days , or a week ect ….

There are many variables to consider, but, in this description, no, it wouldn't violate the PSVA.

As mentioned,  it probably WOULD require buying two cruises. Cruise ships don't just sail routinely with extra cabins. So, to assure you would have a cabin for the return trip, you would have to book that cabin ( and the one for the first cruise) for the entire cruises, not just for the portion you actually were on board. 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

As mentioned,  it probably WOULD require buying two cruises. Cruise ships don't just sail routinely with extra cabins. So, to assure you would have a cabin for the return trip, you would have to book that cabin ( and the one for the first cruise) for the entire cruises, not just for the portion you actually were on board. 

That was exactly as the couple we encountered regarding Barbados explained it.  Two full cruises were required to be paid for so that a stateroom would be assigned to them for both cruises, even though it would be occupied one one way between San Juan and Barbados on each cruise.

They explained that this was their honeymoon and they wanted a two week holiday that would combine a cruise and a week in Barbados.  The purchase of two cruises, the first to get them there and the second to complete the round trip, was how they accomplished it.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 1

I really don't understand all the comments questioning whether cruise lines would allow this.  Using a cruise ship as an alternative to air travel is actually a common practice for some people - typically between the US and Europe, but I see no reason why Aruba would be any different.  

1 minute ago, mnocket said:

I really don't understand all the comments questioning whether cruise lines would allow this.  Using a cruise ship as an alternative to air travel is actually a common practice for some people - typically between the US and Europe, but I see no reason why Aruba would be any different.  

To start with, because a cruise from Europe to the US, for example,  is a complete cruise. And if one then sails back to Europe on a subsequent cruise, that also is a complete cruise.

The OP is asking about 2 partial cruises. I am sure the cruise lines would be happy to sell 2 complete cruises, particularly if a certain number of days there would be a fare paid, but not as many expenses, due to the passengers not actually being on board. Assuming any Immigration issues can be easily dealt with. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

To start with, because a cruise from Europe to the US, for example,  is a complete cruise. And if one then sails back to Europe on a subsequent cruise, that also is a complete cruise.

The OP is asking about 2 partial cruises. I am sure the cruise lines would be happy to sell 2 complete cruises, particularly if a certain number of days there would be a fare paid, but not as many expenses, due to the passengers not actually being on board. Assuming any Immigration issues can be easily dealt with. 

Ah, I get your point.  I interpreted...

"debark the ship , stay a few days , or a week ect ….

then return from Aruba back to port Everglades on the next scheduled cruise ?" 

differently.  I thought OP meant 2 separate cruises, but I see he could mean purchasing a single cruise and trying to take a gap in the middle - which I agree would be a problem.

22 hours ago, horseymike said:

Hi everyone,

While it is possible, you would need to get prior approval from the cruise line.

Although the ship is on a R/T sailing, both of your voyages would be classed as International Voyages, so US Cabotage Laws (PVSA) are not applicable. In most cases, no cruise line can prevent you from disembarking the cruise ship, but you may be liable for fees and/or fines.

Therefore, best to get approval in advance and ensure you have the proper Visa or electronic visa for the length of your proposed stay, as opposed to only a day port visit.

On the proposed return cruise, you would technically be a no-show at embarkation, so would be subject to the cruise line's terms & conditions. Generally, no-shows result in a automatic cancel and the cabin is re-allocated, often to one of the friends/family program pax. Therefore, to ensure a cabin remained available, you would require prior approval to be a no show at embarkation.

It goes without saying that you would need to book both full cruises.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Heidi13 said:

Although the ship is on a R/T sailing, both of your voyages would be classed as International Voyages, so US Cabotage Laws (PVSA) are not applicable. In most cases, no cruise line can prevent you from disembarking the cruise ship, but you may be liable for fees and/or fines.

Doesn't being classed as International Voyages affect the whole passenger complement?  So the cruise line has to produce extra paperwork, correct?

1 hour ago, Shmoo here said:

Doesn't being classed as International Voyages affect the whole passenger complement?  So the cruise line has to produce extra paperwork, correct?

No, the paperwork for CBP doesn't change, other than a new manifest reflecting the added or deleted passengers.  What changes is whether or not CBP decides to do a more in depth disembarkation interview process than they do for closed loop cruises.  This, especially if CBP does not have additional agents assigned, can lead to delays in clearing the passengers, and consequently missed flights.

56 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

No, the paperwork for CBP doesn't change, other than a new manifest reflecting the added or deleted passengers.  What changes is whether or not CBP decides to do a more in depth disembarkation interview process than they do for closed loop cruises.  This, especially if CBP does not have additional agents assigned, can lead to delays in clearing the passengers, and consequently missed flights.

Ah!  Thanks.

On 7/12/2024 at 10:07 AM, CruiserBruce said:

The OP is asking about 2 partial cruises. I am sure the cruise lines would be happy to sell 2 complete cruises, particularly if a certain number of days there would be a fare paid, but not as many expenses, due to the passengers not actually being on board.

But the ship would not be receiving any onboard revenue that it would likely get from a passenger sailing the 2 complete itineraries.

2 minutes ago, Sea42 said:

But the ship would not be receiving any onboard revenue that it would likely get from a passenger sailing the 2 complete itineraries.

So it's an accounting department tradeoff. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Sea42 said:

And???? This would only be applicable if the cruise is sailing full for both sailings.  (which generally is not the case).  This is certainly a win for the cruise line as they are effectively getting a 2x revenue for 1x expenses.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Airbear232 said:

And???? This would only be applicable if the cruise is sailing full for both sailings.  (which generally is not the case).  This is certainly a win for the cruise line as they are effectively getting a 2x revenue for 1x expenses.

It's not as if the ship is going to spend less on their food budget if a couple of passengers aren't eating dinner or have less in housekeeping costs if they are not cleaning one cabin. Those are fixed cost that are going to be the same. From what I've read, the cruise lines make their profit from onboard spending. Drinks, excursions etc.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sea42 said:

It's not as if the ship is going to spend less on their food budget if a couple of passengers aren't eating dinner or have less in housekeeping costs if they are not cleaning one cabin. Those are fixed cost that are going to be the same. From what I've read, the cruise lines make their profit from onboard spending. Drinks, excursions etc.

They are still getting 2x revenue for what is effectively one cruise.  

1 minute ago, Airbear232 said:

They are still getting 2x revenue for what is effectively one cruise.  

But if they sold those 2 cruises to different people who actually stayed on the ship they would make more.

But give it a try and let us know how it goes!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sea42 said:

But if they sold those 2 cruises to different people who actually stayed on the ship they would make more.

But give it a try and let us know how it goes!

You’re right but this is still better for them than no cruise fares.  Hope OP shares outcome. 

7 hours ago, Airbear232 said:

Most ships are sailing at over 100% capacity, I’m not sure where you got your info, but it is certainly not what is reported. 

• Like 2