Park 19 updates?

Hi,

Anyone have updates on Park 19? I know it's not open on Sun Princess but anyone know if it will open once it comes to Florida? I've read everything from Park 19 being closed for remainder of 2024 to it being dismantled...so I'm hoping for some accurate info here.

From reading here on CC I don't think Park 19 will be open until it's inspected in the US. 

Unfortunately that won't be until mid October. 😕

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

I just read an article that quoted Princess stating that some of the Park 19 attractions are suspended indefinitely & likely permanently. Based on their statement these attractions were not properly constructed.

• Rollglider
  • The Net
  • Coastal Climb

We regret to announce that Princess is unable to accept delivery of the Rollglider, Coastal Climb, and ropes course features within Park19 aboard Sun Princess, and those experiences will not be opening," Princess said in the statement.

"We are actively evaluating these areas for future recreational opportunities to ensure a safe and enjoyable experience for all our guests," the line added.

“Princess Cruises on Friday announced that the Rollglider ride atop the recently unveiled Sun Princess will remain closed indefinitely. The line suggested the ride, which has never operated, would eventually be replaced by something else. Ditto for two other attractions that were built atop the ship but never opened: a ropes course called The Net and a climbing attraction called Coastal Climb.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/princess-cruises-rollglider-attraction-closed/

Edited by Astro Flyer
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, dides said:

@Thrak where is this statement from?  Is it on a Princess site or email?  Saw it posted in the other thread too.

I answered in the other thread... It's taken from a youtube source. I posted links to this source and another independent source with similar info. Google "Princess cruises park 19" and you will find the info. As it came from the first two different sources I think it is very likely legit.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Thrak said:

I answered in the other thread... It's taken from a youtube source. I posted links to this source and another independent source with similar info. Google "Princess cruises park 19" and you will find the info. As it came from the first two different sources I think it is very likely legit.

thanks - yes have now seen some well known cruise journalists picking it up on X but would be nice to see it in Princess livery!  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dides said:

thanks - yes have now seen some well known cruise journalists picking it up on X but would be nice to see it in Princess livery!  

It's a done deal.  The area couldn't get certification so it's a no go.  No decision announced as to what to do with it but I would think that any dismantling would have to be done in dry dock.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Grego said:

but I would think that any dismantling would have to be done in dry dock.

Not necessarily dry dock. But most likely they will need a dock with a crane to dismantle the glider track.

Edited by EDVM96

12 hours ago, Astro Flyer said:

I just read an article that quoted Princess stating that some of the Park 19 attractions are suspended indefinitely & likely permanently. Based on their statement these attractions were not properly constructed.

• Rollglider
  • The Net
  • Coastal Climb

We regret to announce that Princess is unable to accept delivery of the Rollglider, Coastal Climb, and ropes course features within Park19 aboard Sun Princess, and those experiences will not be opening," Princess said in the statement.

"We are actively evaluating these areas for future recreational opportunities to ensure a safe and enjoyable experience for all our guests," the line added.

“Princess Cruises on Friday announced that the Rollglider ride atop the recently unveiled Sun Princess will remain closed indefinitely. The line suggested the ride, which has never operated, would eventually be replaced by something else. Ditto for two other attractions that were built atop the ship but never opened: a ropes course called The Net and a climbing attraction called Coastal Climb.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/princess-cruises-rollglider-attraction-closed/

Thanks for sharing this. 

That is a costly dump of space and reengineering for new whatever. Too bad Princess. If it was not built "to code" is this a fail on the shipyard?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jennybenny said:

Thanks for sharing this. 

That is a costly dump of space and reengineering for new whatever. Too bad Princess. If it was not built "to code" is this a fail on the shipyard?

Or the vendor...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jennybenny said:

If it was not built "to code"...

And this is what makes this all the more mystifying.  There isn't a single "it" that is being cancelled.  The announcement applies to several individual, unintegrated areas (RollGlider; Ropes Course; Rock Wall) all of which would have their own construction and safety requirements. It is impossible for ALL of these elements to independently fail inspection or have code issues.  If the RollGlider cannot get up and running, there is no reason why they cannot remove that cancer and still save the patient.  It has nothing to do with the ropes course.  And vice versa.  There has to be something more to this.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

It's not a question of what they are building, they need trained people to operate and man these attractions. Risk management probably killed it. 

I tend to agree with this.  I think it may be more of a training and staffing issue. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, dides said:

@Thrak where is this statement from?  Is it on a Princess site or email?  Saw it posted in the other thread too.

I read the same information this morning that Astroflyer posted, but I'm sorry I can't remember where I saw it.

Has anyone thought about the fact that on terra firms, things may seem fine, but with ship movement and elemental factors, some elements may be a massive hazard or may not work as described? 

3 hours ago, CruiseCrabs said:

Has anyone thought about the fact that on terra firms, things may seem fine, but with ship movement and elemental factors, some elements may be a massive hazard or may not work as described? 

Well ship lifts have worked fine for years despite ocean swells!

4 hours ago, Esprit said:

Well ship lifts have worked fine for years despite ocean swells!

The ship, which often shows rust between painting and dry dock maintenance is not a ropes course with many balancing elements, a rolling metal zip line of sorts, and two climbing walls. All of that is subject to elements at sea and would require a ton of maintenance, safety measures, and personnel to keep guests safe. Add rolling at sea to the mix for safety concerns on the ropes course that had many balancing elements (yes, harnesses were in the mix but that’s just to prevent a serious fall, not injury) and challenges were not entirely unexpected. It will be interesting to see what changes the Star presents to passengers.

Im going to assume the Star will not have a Park 19. That said, will this cause a further delay to the Star while they reimagine the area? They have time, but Princess is well..Princess .

8 hours ago, CruiseCrabs said:

Except that there are dozens of cruise ships that have similar features that aren't sending people to the ER routinely.  Yes, the RollGlider is a new concept.  But a climbing wall and a ropes course?  Other ships can operate FlowRiders, ice rinks, Go-Kart courses and rock walls.  Doesn't seem as if Park 19 was all that unique.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

Except that there are dozens of cruise ships that have similar features that aren't sending people to the ER routinely.  Yes, the RollGlider is a new concept.  But a climbing wall and a ropes course?  Other ships can operate FlowRiders, ice rinks, Go-Kart courses and rock walls.  Doesn't seem as if Park 19 was all that unique.

Respectfully, flow rider is a water attraction and yes, focused rock walls are elsewhere but a ropes course is a bit unique as was the roll glider. Both have risks and maintenance challenges that are unique and it seems whatever the Princes plan was did not meet US safety standards.

1 hour ago, JimmyVWine said:

It all depends if the RollGlider vender was doing it all as part of a package deal. They seem to do that on their land based installations. If so then one would expect that if they cannot get rollglider to work on board ship (as far as I can find out the Sun was the first shipboard installation) then one would expect the entire package to be rejected.