Status of Labadee

On 7/16/2024 at 12:10 PM, orville99 said:

We stopped there last night to drop off substantial provisions and the area was anything but peaceful. Loudspeakers from the hillside pumping warnings and threats down into the compound, and multiple search lights scanning the hillside to determine where they were coming from. A surreal experience to say the least.  We were supposed to be there until 3AM to drop off the supplies, but because of the chaotic environment the ship accelerated the drop through multiple cargo ramps se we could get out of there by 2AM.

What ship was this?  Sounds absolutely nuts!

Labadee is a sitting duck. I hope RCCL has a sound evacuation plan in place for the site  occupants before these armed gangs decide to put the place under siege.

19 hours ago, The Fun Researcher said:

While I love both private ports, Coco Cay and Labadee, I would probably pick Labadee by a small margin.  I LOVE the relaxing feel of Labadee and the port is just beautiful sailing into and while docked.  It also tends to be warmer than Coco Cay in winter months.

I just wish they could improve the dang lunch offering.  Coco Cay blows them out of the water in that regard.

I agree with you. We love Labadee Because of the simplicity of it. We’re just there to enjoy the water, the sand and listen to the local birds. BUT the lunch isn’t good at all.  We usually don’t eat anything there except a salad. I’ve seen flies all over the burgers more than once. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

I agree with you. We love Labadee Because of the simplicity of it. We’re just there to enjoy the water, the sand and listen to the local birds. BUT the lunch isn’t good at all.  We usually don’t eat anything there except a salad. I’ve seen flies all over the burgers more than once. 

Same with me. The addition of Snack Shacks would make such a difference.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, jerryg95 said:

It sure seems to me "if ever" was on the table. How long can a company service billions in debt with money going out and not coming in? We know cruising has continued and flourished, now.

I can't believe officers of these companies did not consider "if ever" as a possibility.

I disagree. These are money making operations. If the officers of a corporation are in a doomsday mentality of "this is the end," I want them replaced with people who are optimistic and forward-thinking. Fortunately, the heads of the major cruise lines WERE thinking in terms of a bright future, and as far as I can tell, bookings are through the roof. As I opined multiple times back in 2020, any industry that has survived multiple world wars, regional conflicts, economic depressions and various ship sinkings, can weather the events of 2020, too. Which they did. The naysayers were wrong.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

I disagree. These are money making operations. If the officers of a corporation are in a doomsday mentality of "this is the end," I want them replaced with people who are optimistic and forward-thinking. Fortunately, the heads of the major cruise lines WERE thinking in terms of a bright future, and as far as I can tell, bookings are through the roof. As I opined multiple times back in 2020, any industry that has survived multiple world wars, regional conflicts, economic depressions and various ship sinkings, can weather the events of 2020, too. Which they did. The naysayers were wrong.

In other words you just want to go back to Labadee.  Companies made hard decisions all the time, well successful ones do.

5 minutes ago, BND said:

In other words you just want to go back to Labadee.  Companies made hard decisions all the time, well successful ones do.

I haven't been there before, actually. Would love to visit it one day.

20 minutes ago, bajathree said:

So this was a revenue sailing with passengers stopping at Labadee to drop off supplies?

Yes. This was the second time for us doing this. We also stopped there in February to do the same drop.

3 minutes ago, orville99 said:

Yes. This was the second time for us doing this. We also stopped there in February to do the same drop.

Thats absolutely crazy putting paying passengers through what you describe you experienced.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, orville99 said:

11 hours ago, bajathree said:

Thats absolutely crazy putting paying passengers through what you describe you experienced.

The first time we did this (I misspoke, it was in April, not February) it was done quietly without lights (other than a few on the dock), and if you weren’t awake at midnight to see it, you never would have known if the captain hadn’t informed everyone in his afternoon announcement from the bridge. This time was completely different, and quite disturbing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, orville99 said:

The first time we did this (I misspoke, it was in April, not February) it was done quietly without lights (other than a few on the dock), and if you weren’t awake at midnight to see it, you never would have known if the captain hadn’t informed everyone in his afternoon announcement from the bridge. This time was completely different, and quite disturbing.

Could be enough to get Royal to completely quit doing those humanitarian stops.  

5 minutes ago, BND said:

Could be enough to get Royal to completely quit doing those humanitarian stops.  

We plan to ask at this week’s Captains Corner. They don’t do them on six night cruises any more. 

I'm on Grandeur Nov 1 supposedly stopping in Haiti.  I called RC this a.m. and the person I spoke with said no, we wouldn't be going to Labadee. Someone else called later and was told that yes, we will stop there.  I don't think there's a chance that a Nov cruise will be going to Haiti, but am I off base?

8 minutes ago, RW_MI said:

I'm on Grandeur Nov 1 supposedly stopping in Haiti.  I called RC this a.m. and the person I spoke with said no, we wouldn't be going to Labadee. Someone else called later and was told that yes, we will stop there.  I don't think there's a chance that a Nov cruise will be going to Haiti, but am I off base?

Very doubtful....especially after what orville99 described happening. Doesn't seem to be much changing there for the good anytime soon.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 7/17/2024 at 12:25 PM, The Fun Researcher said:

While I love both private ports, Coco Cay and Labadee, I would probably pick Labadee by a small margin.  I LOVE the relaxing feel of Labadee and the port is just beautiful sailing into and while docked.  It also tends to be warmer than Coco Cay in winter months.

I just wish they could improve the dang lunch offering.  Coco Cay blows them out of the water in that regard.

Agree so much. They just haul food off the ship and reheat it. Like the old days at CocoCay. Royal added commercial kitchens on CocoCay and the food quality and variety is so much better now. Last time there were no ribs at Labadee either like past sailings. Burgers, chicken and hot dogs were about it. Beautiful unspoiled beauty, but food is a big disappointment. 

Just booked Voyager for January 2025 out of Port Canaveral with a scheduled stop in Labadee. Will wait and see. Hopefully not a change to Nassau coming up. Anywhere but Nassau...

Edited by coaster
  • Like 2

On 7/20/2024 at 11:44 AM, RW_MI said:

We were told last week on board Adventure that the current timeline to return is sometime after the first of the year. We will ask this week at the Captain’s Corner.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, orville99 said:

We were told last week on board Adventure that the current timeline to return is sometime after the first of the year. We will ask this week at the Captain’s Corner.

Thanks - really appreciate the update and will look for another one after the Captain's Corner.

Edited by RW_MI
  • Like 1

It's on our Itin for Feb break this winter. I can't imagine we actually go, but I do find it mildly irritating they dont just rebook a different port so we know where we're going. We've been basically everywhere in the carrib so its not a bit deal for us, but seems like they should be more proactive to just cancel it ahead of time and give some visibility sooner to where we'll actually land. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, orville99 said:

Isn't that just kicking the can down the road?

• Like 2

The whole Haiti revolution is very sad for its people. It has never been very stable but seemed to go downhill after the earthquake years ago.

We love Labadee for its natural quietness compared to CocoCay.  They both have their place and we enjoy both.  Scheduled to stop there in a years time.  I’m not hopeful we’ll actually go. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, orville99 said:

How in the world could you believe any estimate of a timeline to return with the current state of the country being as it is ?

Especially you , after giving the update you gave a few days ago . 

That just makes no sense