Uncomfortable experience with sommelier

Currently on Summit and did the Chef’s Table dinner last night. (Other than the galley tour it’s not worth it but that’s not what this post is about.)

You meet for the dinner at the large table outside of sushi restaurant for a toast, a short speech, and a photo before going down to galley tour and Tuscan Grille for the dinner. Here is the very short version of what happened:

I do not drink alcohol so about 30 minutes before the meeting time I went up and let the wine person setting things up that I don’t drink. He kept saying “oh it’s just for the toast” and I kept repeating but I don’t drink. After a couple rounds of this I sort of gave up and walked away.

Then the event starts and he is pouring Prosecco for everyone. He gets to me and pauses. I again tell him I don’t drink and he again tries to press me to take some “just for the toast.”

It does not matter if you drink or not: we all know people who, for various reasons, choose not to drink. For some people that choice is a constant struggle. To have a crew member basically pushing me to drink became very uncomfortable. 

In the end I had to finally get a bit more loud with my no to him. So he just left me there with my empty glass. I guess it finally occurred to him that was not a good look so offered me some ginger beer. At that point I just wanted to run away and hide in my cabin. 

The whole experience was at best uncomfortable and worst upsetting. I keep thinking about those who struggle more than I do with alcohol and how triggering such an interaction could be. 

I don’t see any point in bringing this up to management onboard as we all know I will just get the standard platitudes “I’m so sorry I’ll let someone know” response and nothing will come of it. I just felt the need to share this experience to get it off my mind as best I can. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 4

5 minutes ago, snoopydo said:

Currently on Summit and did the Chef’s Table dinner last night. (Other than the galley tour it’s not worth it but that’s not what this post is about.)

You meet for the dinner at the large table outside of sushi restaurant for a toast, a short speech, and a photo before going down to galley tour and Tuscan Grille for the dinner. Here is the very short version of what happened:

I do not drink alcohol so about 30 minutes before the meeting time I went up and let the wine person setting things up that I don’t drink. He kept saying “oh it’s just for the toast” and I kept repeating but I don’t drink. After a couple rounds of this I sort of gave up and walked away.

Then the event starts and he is pouring Prosecco for everyone. He gets to me and pauses. I again tell him I don’t drink and he again tries to press me to take some “just for the toast.”

It does not matter if you drink or not: we all know people who, for various reasons, choose not to drink. For some people that choice is a constant struggle. To have a crew member basically pushing me to drink became very uncomfortable. 

In the end I had to finally get a bit more loud with my no to him. So he just left me there with my empty glass. I guess it finally occurred to him that was not a good look so offered me some ginger beer. At that point I just wanted to run away and hide in my cabin. 

The whole experience was at best uncomfortable and worst upsetting. I keep thinking about those who struggle more than I do with alcohol and how triggering such an interaction could be. 

I don’t see any point in bringing this up to management onboard as we all know I will just get the standard platitudes “I’m so sorry I’ll let someone know” response and nothing will come of it. I just felt the need to share this experience to get it off my mind as best I can. 

As an alcoholic proudly and continually in recovery, I greatly appreciate your sharing this incident.  If this happened to me, I would definitely bring it to management attention.  I would calmly explain the situation and tell them the reason and that I would hope they would discuss with that sommelier for no other reason than as a learning opportunity.  I am sorry this happened to you and sounds like you handled a very difficult situation with grace!

• Like 39
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, canderson said:

While he should have taken heed of your request, there was the option, after the first attempt, of just leaving his toasting glass untouched on the table.

It never should have come to that, not even close.  Guest says no, it should end there.

• Like 17

I have to disagree with you about not letting management know.  It is important that they hear from you on this and I hope you will reconsider.

Kudos to you for sticking to what's right for you!  Lots of things come to mind that could have been done in hindsight but none of that matters.  Again, I hope you let someone know so that at least for future guests who do not imbibe, they can better prepare with club soda or something else in advance so as not to single anyone out.  So sorry this happened!

• Like 13
  • Thanks 3

6 minutes ago, Liao said:

It never should have come to that, not even close.  Guest says no, it should end there.

"While he should have taken heed of your request..."

• Like 1

Bring it up. Posting here may make you feel better but accomplishes nothing. What you describe isn’t acceptable. 

Once you said no, it’s on them. They continued to attempt to make it on you. That should never happen. 

• Like 11

Thank you for your replies. I just don’t think I have the energy to bring it up to management just to be brushed off. You know how complaining on a cruise goes. Over the top concern expressed in the moment followed by no action. Maybe I’m just a bit oversensitive at the moment though 😀

I appreciate the support though. I felt like talking to them before the event started was the right thing to do. I guess I should have been more specific in saying to give me something else instead. In the moment I was just a bit taken aback by the pushiness and did not offer my own alternative. 

I guess when you’re the odd one out the burden is on you to deal with it. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, snoopydo said:

Thank you for your replies. I just don’t think I have the energy to bring it up to management just to be brushed off. You know how complaining on a cruise goes. Over the top concern expressed in the moment followed by no action. Maybe I’m just a bit oversensitive at the moment though 😀

I appreciate the support though. I felt like talking to them before the event started was the right thing to do. I guess I should have been more specific in saying to give me something else instead. In the moment I was just a bit taken aback by the pushiness and did not offer my own alternative. 

I guess when you’re the odd one out the burden is on you to deal with it. 

In my experience any negative feedback offered while on board is acted upon immediately.  I'll spare the details, but in short, my wife is vegan and was frustrated with the lack of options or consideration offered to her dietary restrictions (a first, as typically Celebrity is very good with this).  She voiced her concerns through the comment cards - she was trying to avoid being centred out - and the next night our service was on another level and included the head chef coming to our table to discuss menu options.

Everyone's experiences will vary, but I provide our example as it illustrates that feedback is reviewed and responded to while onboard.

Good luck,

Jay

• Like 11

57 minutes ago, snoopydo said:

You definitely need to bring that up with management on board.

• Like 6

58 minutes ago, snoopydo said:

You know how complaining on a cruise goes. Over the top concern expressed in the moment followed by no action.

That has not been our experience. While we rarely have to make a complaint, when we do, we do it on board and to the responsible supervisor (Maitre d', housekeeper, etc). If poor or inappropriate service isn't brought to their attention, how can it be corrected and in your case, how can the sommelier learn the proper response to a situation such as yours?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

We've been to many of these events where everyone is poured a glass of whatever for a toast.  My wife doesn't drink prosecco or champagne, but she takes a glass for the toast and doesn't partake.  (She gives it to me). 😁

What's the problem with just accepting whatever they were giving you and everyone else, and toasting and just not drinking it? 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Wineaux007 said:

We've been to many of these events where everyone is poured a glass of whatever for a toast.  My wife doesn't drink prosecco or champagne, but she takes a glass for the toast and doesn't partake.  (She gives it to me). 😁

What's the problem with just accepting whatever they were giving you and everyone else, and toasting and just not drinking it? 

To me, the problem is that BEFORE the event he spoke to them, during the event, the first time he was offered he said no, then they offered again.  Come on already!

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Wineaux007 said:

They said no before the event. That’s the problem. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Wineaux007 said:

Not saying it was the OPs issue but there is a difference between not liking what is served and having a potential issue with having it served to them.  Nobody knows their circumstances and once they asked to not be served that request should have been honored.

I would bring this up while onboard, sounds like some training needs to take place.  

• Like 13

2 hours ago, snoopydo said:

Sorry to hear of your uncomfortable experience.   It should have been handled much better. 

I don't drink because it triggers migraines.    I've never had a problem and unlike you the Sommelier handled it well and made me comfortable.   For the toast he brought a choice of Ginger Ale in a Flute as well as a Non-Alcoholic Fre Bubbly.

During the meal he paired a different non-alcoholic wine with each course.   Wasn't necessary but it made me feel part of the celebration. 

Even when we are invited to the bridge for Zenith Celebration they always have substitutes which of course the crew drink.

I would definitely bring you unfortunate experience to the Hotel Director or F&B Manager.

• Like 21

How can you expect changes if you don't bring the situation to the attention of those that have the ability to handle the situation in a timely manner?  Bringing it to this forum may make you feel better but does not address your initial complaint.  

• Like 5

Contrary to what you said, in my experience, I have found that advising the Hotel Director of an unacceptable situation does bring positive results.  Additionally DH and I have enjoyed small group special occasions where there are toasts and an at least one paz has advised that he/sje does not consume alcohol and and the requested water/juice has been poured into the paz' .glass for toasting purposes.  That said, your experience should be nipped in the bud.

• Like 6

32 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Sorry to hear of your uncomfortable experience.   It should have been handled much better. 

I don't drink because it triggers migraines.    I've never had a problem and unlike you the Sommelier handled it well and made me comfortable.   For the toast he brought a choice of Ginger Ale in a Flute as well as a Non-Alcoholic Fre Bubbly.

During the meal he paired a different non-alcoholic wine with each course.   Wasn't necessary but it made me feel part of the celebration. 

Even when we are invited to the bridge for Zenith Celebration they always have substitutes which of course the crew drink.

I would definitely bring you unfortunate experience to the Hotel Director or F&B Manager.

I totally agree with your comments Jim_lain.  your experience reflects ours.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, helen haywood said:

I’m confused.  If you felt the sommelier wasn’t listening to you, why accept the flute to begin with?

it was already on the table, and AFTER he took the time to speak to them beforehand.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wineaux007 said:

I agree with this comment.  The moment where everyone comes together, holding up a glass filled with whatever, and expressing a hearty "Cheers" is more the expression of the toast than taking a sip afterwards. 

But something is missing from the OPs report.  When you explained that you didn't drink, did you then request they pour you a glass of orange juice, ginger ale, whatever you prefer?  By not making a specific request the staff member may have felt uncomfortable just leaving you with an empty glass. 

• Like 6

I am a little surprised this situation happened, unless the OP is not familiar with the Chef’s Table ?

Every Cruiseline I have sailed that offers this ‘event’ lets passengers know it is an event with each course usually paired with selected ‘wine’. Of course some passengers do not drink alcohol for various reasons and normally before the event, arrangements are made an appropriate beverage will be served to those passengers, not 30 minutes before the meeting time.

Usually when a passengers signs up for this event, they inform the organizers they do not drink and would prefer substitutions. Just a reminder for future passengers to let event organizers know, so this situation would not occur.

Some cruiselines offer similar events priced with or without alcohol/wine.

All that I can say is that for the Chefs table it is a boozy experience.  No way that I could drink all that wine.

I sympathize with the OPs experience...  X should have done better...