Safety Drill requirements?

I tried a search and was unsuccessful. 

Do we still watch videos in the app the morning of the cruise?

I know check in at our muster station on board, but didn't know when the safety briefing showed up in the app.  Morning of?

26 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

I know check in at our muster station on board, but didn't know when the safety briefing showed up in the app.  Morning of?

Videos are available morning of the cruise to watch but the checkmark that we actually watched them wouldn't populate until around 10am though we were able to see the videos prior to then.

2 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

You don't even need to watch the video. Just go to your muster station and the crew will give you a 30 second explanation of things.

Yep.  Just report and say you watched.  On quantum now.  

13 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

Videos are available morning of the cruise to watch but the checkmark that we actually watched them wouldn't populate until around 10am though we were able to see the videos prior to then.

FWIW, we were able to watch and acknowledge at 8am. 🙂

Then there are those that don't show at muster.  The first few announcements are pleasant,  just a reminder to go to your muster station type of announcement and then they start getting more demanding and then if you don't go you can't sail.  That's the way it was on Navigator Friday.  Don't know if anyone got thrown off.  We watch video on the way to ship and then check in as soon as we get on. Then it's done anf can forget it.

No one ever gets thrown off. They do say that no one can sail with us unless they have completed the check in. They have a round-up of folks who are no shows by phone, in cabin room attendant and will finally disable your card if you keep hiding.

They have a quick group session in the theatre or other venue (depending on number) on evening one for all who refused to go. Why someone would not check in is beyond me. They make it so quick and easy that it takes less than a minute of your time if you have watched the videos on your phone.

5 hours ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

FWIW, we were able to watch and acknowledge at 8am. 🙂

Heck, we're cruising on Aug 17 and I just looked and the video is there under the safety button right now.  We normally watch the morning of. In this situation, we're driving to Baltimore that morning from our home in NoVA and will watch it before we leave.  

• Like 1

They won't throw anyone off, but it is a CG requirement (at least in the US) for it to be completed by all passengers, usually before the ship can leave the pier.  As mentioned they will track those not complying down and will assure that they complete it. Agree that, in particular with how easy it is now to do, that anyone would ignore, forget, or otherwise choose to not do it. 

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

They won't throw anyone off, but it is a CG requirement (at least in the US) for it to be completed by all passengers, usually before the ship can leave the pier.  As mentioned they will track those not complying down and will assure that they complete it. Agree that, in particular with how easy it is now to do, that anyone would ignore, forget, or otherwise choose to not do it. 

It literally takes as long as it takes to walk to your muster station.  In some cases, we've walked right by it within 30 seconds of boarding the ship.  Several times, we've had to wait for them to open.   After 45+ cruises I could easily teach the muster drill but we still go.  I do not miss standing outside in weather with a life jacket on though.

Edited by BND
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, BND said:

Heck, we're cruising on Aug 17 and I just looked and the video is there under the safety button right now. 

Yes, but you don’t get credit for it unless you watch fairly close to sail away time. 

8 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Yes, but you don’t get credit for it unless you watch fairly close to sail away time. 

As I said, we'll watch it that morning.  It didn't use to appear until day of.  I just thought it was interesting that it's there.  You never know what will or won't show up or when on the app.  Our last few cruises, the health check never showed up and we weren't asked anything when we checked in.  The usual consistency.

1 hour ago, BND said:

It literally takes as long as it takes to walk to your muster station.  In some cases, we've walked right by it within 30 seconds of boarding the ship.  Several times, we've had to wait for them to open.   After 45+ cruises I could easily teach the muster drill but we still go.  I do not miss standing outside in weather with a life jacket on though.

It's pretty awesome when the station is on the walking way to the elevator.  Then it's just the short time it takes to scan the card as you walk by.

For all those pre Covid sailors I think we can agree that one thing that came out of that was the new safty drill procedure. For all that use to stand in large groups bunched togeter on the deck waiting for the captin to release us, this is something that Royal got right. I remember standing on a deck in San Juan in the most humid conditions possible many years ago and waiting for people to pass out. This is one of several improvements Royal made to sailing post Covid. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BND said:

Heck, we're cruising on Aug 17 and I just looked and the video is there under the safety button right now.  We normally watch the morning of. In this situation, we're driving to Baltimore that morning from our home in NoVA and will watch it before we leave.  

you can watch it early but it probably won’t show “complete” on your app….

at least that has always been our experience when we tried to watch it before the day of sailing 

We were not watching on the app in the beginning...then had to go through the lifejacket demo and questions.  Finally got smart and watched on app just before.  

They don't even ask us if we watched the video any longer.  The "complete" is shown on their records as well as ours.  Nice.  🙂 

14 hours ago, GTO-Girl said:

you can watch it early but it probably won’t show “complete” on your app….

at least that has always been our experience when we tried to watch it before the day of sailing 

I know. My point is that it's there.  

Unsolicited advice: Pay attention at the muster drill. The information that they are telling you could literally save your life, in the case of an emergency. Especially pay attention to where your muster station is located. Practice going there once or twice, from your stateroom. It could save your life!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TheBeardedCruiser said:

Unsolicited advice: Pay attention at the muster drill. The information that they are telling you could literally save your life, in the case of an emergency. Especially pay attention to where your muster station is located. Practice going there once or twice, from your stateroom. It could save your life!

I've always been curious how often this happens -- are there any statistics published about how often passengers have been called to muster stations over the years?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chfenton said:

I've always been curious how often this happens -- are there any statistics published about how often passengers have been called to muster stations over the years?

Great question! I'll look into it and see what I can find out. If I find anything, I'll post it here.

On 7/13/2024 at 8:05 PM, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Morning of.