Is the Text Message to Opt-In Legit?

Hi Fellow Cruisers!

I received the following text message today, 7/15, from 37808: 

“Holland America: Reply Y to opt in to recurring automated personalized marketing msgs. Be the first to receive limited time cruise deals!”

Has anyone else here received this? Is it legit or spam?

Thanks!

1 minute ago, syesmar said:

Hi Fellow Cruisers!

I received the following text message today, 7/15, from 37808: 

“Holland America: Reply Y to opt in to recurring automated personalized marketing msgs. Be the first to receive limited time cruise deals!”

Has anyone else here received this? Is it legit or spam?

Thanks!

Don't click!!  If ever in doubt about any text or email.....DO NOT reply!  It does sound like spam to me though!

~Nancy

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, FlorenceItaly said:

I received this a few days and opted in.

What happened?  Any communication?  I already get plenty of "Marketing Messages" from HAL via email and USPS so really wouldn't want any more via text even if it is legit

~Nancy

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, oakridger said:

What happened?  Any communication?  I already get plenty of "Marketing Messages" from HAL via email and USPS so really wouldn't want any more via text even if it is legit

~Nancy

A welcome reply text staying to stay tuned for deals, updates and more.  This was on Thursday, and so far nothing more.

Edited by FlorenceItaly
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, FlorenceItaly said:

A welcome reply email

So, it's a communication via an email and not text.  Seems redundant to me!  Thanks for reporting back.  (I do stand by my advice to the OP about not responding to any text or email unless you know/trust the sender.  In this case, happily it wasn't a scam!)

~Nancy

2 minutes ago, oakridger said:

So, it's a communication via an email and not text.  Seems redundant to me!  Thanks for reporting back.  (I do stand by my advice to the OP about not responding to any text or email unless you know/trust the sender.  In this case, happily it wasn't a scam!)

~Nancy

Nancy, I mistakenly typed email and later edited to reflect text.  I am sorry for the misunderstanding.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, 57redbird said:

Got it but I get enough mail from HAL --- don't need more.

Interesting.  I just checked the preferences on my account.  I'm opted in to email, text message, instant message, and snail mail.  I have never received anything from HAL in any of those media.  I don't want to be inundated, but I would like to hear about specials when they come out. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, sciencewonk said:

Interesting.  I just checked the preferences on my account.  I'm opted in to email, text message, instant message, and snail mail.  I have never received anything from HAL in any of those media.  I don't want to be inundated, but I would like to hear about specials when they come out. 

Hi, I never have either and I think they don't send anything to us as we are in NZ & AUS. Perhaps it's only people with USA addresses that get marketing communications? We are not include din all sales & promotions either which is a bit annoying.

• Like 3

Just now, Laminator said:

Just got the first text after opting in last week. $1 deposit today. Choose from 800+ cruises. Offer ends 7/17.

Same here.  I appreciate the information.

• Like 4

20 hours ago, sciencewonk said:

They usually do not send marketing materials to anyone who has a cruise booked with HAL, I learned that because I called about not getting marketing information.  They changed something in the system to override that function and now I get marketing information even thought I always have 2 or 3 cruises booked.

• Thanks 1

As a LEO, there are so many scams out there that I never respond to an unsolicited text, especially if the purpoted company being referred to already has my contact information.   In some cases , just like scam phone calls the  shady sender sends to random numbers and by responding you are verifying your phone number as active.   Beware.  

4 hours ago, retird said:

As a LEO, there are so many scams out there that I never respond to an unsolicited text, especially if the purpoted company being referred to already has my contact information.   In some cases , just like scam phone calls the  shady sender sends to random numbers and by responding you are verifying your phone number as active.   Beware.  

This one is actually valid. 

• Like 1

We are 5 Star with over 900 days on HAL and normally have several future cruises booked at all times.  We get very few email or USPS advertising from HAL but we do get notices for my mother-in-law and she passed away 5 years ago.  Go figure.