First time cruising drink pricing question please

We are about to book a cruise for the first time on the Celebrity Apex and have added the classic drinks package to our booking. The limits are anything over $10 a beverage there will be an additional charge per drink. Does anyone know the price for a glass of white wine, a spirit with mixer. Is it worth upgrading to the additional $20 per person per day Premium drinks package where the price per drinks $17 per beverage as my husband enjoys Grey Goose vodka. 
Thanks to anyone who can answer 

Posted (edited)

The best I can suggest is to look at the attached PDF describing the two drink packages as this details the comparative alcohol brands included with each.  Any drink that can be made from either packages' included alcohol brands is available.  The types of wine that are included with each are also shown, and the brands will be commensurate with each package value.

Just to add, when you book the cruise, there are two basic fare structures - "Always", which includes basic WiFi and the Classic beverage package, and "Standard" which is cruise fare only, but to which any package can be added separately.  Both also are available with refundable and non-refundable deposit fare structures.  Just be sure which you are booking as the fares vary accordingly.

Hope this helps:

Celebrity drink packages.pdf

Edited by leaveitallbehind

It really just depends on how picky you are about your wines and spirits. You can certainly get a glass of white wine and a spirit with mixer included in the classic package.  We really didn't have any issue getting regular cocktails (non-specialty) within the classic package.  They just used the included liquors. You can also pay a per drink upcharge if you go over $10.  So, if you plan on having 2 $15 cocktails per day, it is still cheaper to pay per drink than upgrade. 

The upgrade goes on sale thru different flash sales. Last cruise end of April I got the upgrade for like 6.99 pp per day.   Sales happen and can always book and then cxl the upgrade.  

• Like 1

Common cocktails are made with "well" liquors, those on the classic package. If that is what you drink, you are OK with classic. Wines are a bit better on the premium package. But if you do upgrade to premium, when ordering a cocktail, you must specify the liquor with which it is made from the premium list, or you will get the basic, "well" liquors. For instance, "Grey Goose, bloody mary,".

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Qofhearts said:

We are about to book a cruise for the first time on the Celebrity Apex and have added the classic drinks package to our booking. The limits are anything over $10 a beverage there will be an additional charge per drink. Does anyone know the price for a glass of white wine, a spirit with mixer. Is it worth upgrading to the additional $20 per person per day Premium drinks package where the price per drinks $17 per beverage as my husband enjoys Grey Goose vodka. 

I would say it very much depends on how much you drink!

We have always upgraded to premium as we enjoy the Martini cocktails at the Martini Bar!

However, our last cruise was 15 night's & we decided to drink what we wanted i.e. a glass of champagne before dinner & a few others that we paid a little extra for.

The extra cost at the end of the cruise was nowhere near the upgraded cost, we certainly didn't regret not upgrading.

Only thing I would say was IMO, the smaller Martini Cocktails were not as good.

You could always wait for a few day's into your cruise & decide once onboard.

Enjoy!

3 hours ago, Qofhearts said:

Only you can do the maths! Everyone else will have different answers. 😉

4 hours ago, bikerunner said:

The upgrade goes on sale thru different flash sales. Last cruise end of April I got the upgrade for like 6.99 pp per day.   Sales happen and can always book and then cxl the upgrade.  

Yes, I got that to & I did the happy dance!

My husband and I are taking our first cruise with Celebrity in October 2024 (Barcelona to Rome on Equinox). We've booked with All Included (I think that's the name of the package) which includes the Classic drinks package but have already decided that we will upgrade to Premium..  Do any of you knowledgeable Celebrity regulars know if there are likely to be any flash sales coming up? Black Friday will obviously be too late, and I know we've just missed one - I did well with some savings on dining etc but we hadn't decided to upgrade at that point. I don't want to go ahead and do it now if there's a chance of a better deal in a month or two's time. TIA 

1 hour ago, Martha1974 said:

My husband and I are taking our first cruise with Celebrity in October 2024 (Barcelona to Rome on Equinox). We've booked with All Included (I think that's the name of the package) which includes the Classic drinks package but have already decided that we will upgrade to Premium..  Do any of you knowledgeable Celebrity regulars know if there are likely to be any flash sales coming up? Black Friday will obviously be too late, and I know we've just missed one - I did well with some savings on dining etc but we hadn't decided to upgrade at that point. I don't want to go ahead and do it now if there's a chance of a better deal in a month or two's time. TIA 

You can upgrade now and if a lower price is offered you can cancel the purchased upgrade and re purchase at the lower price.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Martha1974 said:

Although it is a pain, you should book at the price you would be OK with. Watch for any sales. If you get an offer you can cancel and rebook at the new price. The refund may take some time, but you will get it. Also we have started at the Classic and then waited and have gotten email offers to upgrade along the way. It is up to you if you want "call" or if "well" is fine. We lately have started the upgrade just because I am too old to drink cheap vodka 😉 

• Thanks 1

On 7/16/2024 at 8:13 PM, Qofhearts said:

Thanks for your replies.  I appreciate you taking time out to do so 

just to be clear:

1) if you have a drink over the limit you only pay the difference plus 20% service charge on the difference. If you will only have the odd drink over then much cheaper to pay that difference.

2) If one of you upgrades you both have to upgrade. Again if you are happy with classic cheaper to stick with that for both of you.

• Like 1

On 7/17/2024 at 7:26 PM, jelayne said:

You can upgrade now and if a lower price is offered you can cancel the purchased upgrade and re purchase at the lower price.

You cannot do that with a UK booking! 😉

2 hours ago, StopTheWorld said:

Yes you can! I have done it many times 😁 I cancel the upgrade on the website, and re-purchase. 

Indeed, and the words I failed to mention were 'without penalty'.

Hello, can I ask please how much the penalty for cancelling the upgrade drinks package was. I also have a UK booking for the Ascent next year.  It will be our first cruise so any advice you can offer on this is much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Just now, MissisM said:

Hello, can I ask please how much the penalty for cancelling the upgrade drinks package was. I also have a UK booking for the Ascent next year.  It will be our first cruise so any advice you can offer on this is much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

There is no penalty. Simply cancel the order and you will be refunded. 

• Like 2

We are booked with the classic. I never order top shelf with a mixer. For the occasional Grey Goose Martini I will just pay the up charge. My wife is fine with the house Cabernet and she doesn't drink any of those sweet umbrella drinks on the special menu. 

Posted (edited)
On 7/19/2024 at 11:00 PM, hamrag said:

Indeed, and the words I failed to mention were 'without penalty'.

How is there a penalty? Whenever we have done this we get a straight refund and then repurchase 🤔

Edited by Donsyb
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Donsyb said:

How is there a penalty? Whenever we have done this we get a straight refund and then repurchase 🤔

Loss of deposit in the UK, unless you have a special deal with your TA! 😉