Infinite Balcony Question

12 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

Only because my friends always want us to go and we sail for itinerary not the ship. Those inaugural sailings are also much more expensive than an older ship going to the same ports. I also make it a point not to book a ship before going into or coming out dry dock. They always start the renovations on the last sailings and sometimes finish up on the first sailing out of dry dock.

I’m with you totally on the before and after dry dock. I had the last cruise, a TA, booked on Eclipse before her dry dock next April.  For me, she is already several years past when it should have been done, so I just didn’t feel the cruise I was to be on, would have been all a TA should be.

14 minutes ago, Liao said:

I’m with you totally on the before and after dry dock. I had the last cruise, a TA, booked on Eclipse before her dry dock next April.  For me, she is already several years past when it should have been done, so I just didn’t feel the cruise I was to be on, would have been all a TA should be.

I was on Ecliose a few months back.   I thought it was quite nice.  I’ll be on Millie to see the renovated cabins.  I was surprised to read that some cabins have less storage than before the refurb.

18 minutes ago, zitsky said:

I was on Ecliose a few months back.   I thought it was quite nice.  I’ll be on Millie to see the renovated cabins.  I was surprised to read that some cabins have less storage than before the refurb.

TBH I have seen other comments from recent cruisers similar to yours re overall condition of the ship.  I would be more concerned with it getting in wind down mode re provisions, crew at the end of their contracts etc.  Food and beverage is already very inconsistent so I just took it as an opportunity to branch out and try a new to me line.

On 7/18/2024 at 1:53 AM, the penguins said:

great pics - they really highlight why the IV will never be for us:

1) My wife has mobility/back issues and sitting in those chairs for more than 5 minutes would be impossible. No back support, no recline and nowhere to fit in footstools.

2) the table is so small it certainly wouldn't hold our lunch would hardly hold 2 coffees and a couple of cakes.

My view view on IV's is unchanged:

Prefect for those who like the idea of a balcony but rarely use and have no mobility/back.

issues.

Useless for anyone who likes to spend a lot of time relaxing on the balcony in chairs that recline, have back supports and room for footstools

We will never cruise E Class and have just booked Eclipse out of Amsterdam to avoid E class out of Southampton

you're missing the point I was trying to make.  The bed is so close, you can lay in the bed and be way more comfortable then any chair and foot stool.

Everyone keeps making the point about the ac turning off with the glass down and on hot weather cruises that may not be ideal. Which I would say how long do you sit on your balcony when its blazing hot outside and the sun shinning on your side of the ship? 🤔

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, whitshel said:

you're missing the point I was trying to make.  The bed is so close, you can lay in the bed and be way more comfortable then any chair and foot stool.

Everyone keeps making the point about the ac turning off with the glass down and on hot weather cruises that may not be ideal. Which I would say how long do you sit on your balcony when its blazing hot outside and the sun shinning on your side of the ship? 🤔

The difference is with a traditional balcony you can just go inside and be cool. With the IV you have to wait for the room to cool down and the humidity to dry up.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, whitshel said:

A minimum of 3 hours on every sea day and we mainly do itineraries with lots of sea days.

If you look at my Post number 19 I gave my considered conclusions on IV's:

Perfect: for those who like the idea of a balcony but rarely use it.

Useless:

1) for those who like to relax on their balcony for hours with a decent sized table.

2) for anyone who needs/wants chairs with high/ reclining backs.

I love the way some people get really wound up on cruise critic about the infinite verandah on Edge class ships not being a real balcony.  It’s not called a balcony for a reason.

It is a pointless comparison.  It’s a bit like arguing that the cat you bought isn’t a very good dog.  

On Edge class ships the standard Infinite Verandah Staterooms provide a slightly larger room than a standard balcony stateroom on S&M class ships (pardon the acronym) with a small sunroom facing the water with a very nice picture window that you can control up or down at your leisure.  Sometimes, the governing entity onboard the ship takes control of the picture window and closes it for safety reason.  A bit like when the governing entity on a plane puts on the fasten seat belt sign - they don’t do it for the entire flight.

We sailed on the Edge earlier this year from Australia to New Zealand return in one of these types of staterooms and found it to be a very pleasant experience given the prevailing climate.  At no stage was the picture window operated by anyone other than us.

Is it a balcony? No.  Does it give you a feeling of being on a balcony? Yes. Which is preferable? Try it, you might like it or you might not, or you may not care. Should you get wildly passionate about the issue? Sure, why not.

Nice features with the picture window include being able to have it fully open, half open, etc, having it open when you sleep, and having little sensors that prevent it from moving if you are leaning on it.

Enjoy the cruise and make up your own mind.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

20 hours ago, the penguins said:

which is why I put "excluding the expedition type". These are for a whole different class/type of cruise. We have done Antarctica on an expedition ship (the Fram) and for that we chose an inside cabin as we knew we would out on deck taking in everything the cruise had to offer. 

OK....Had me confused when you said Exploration ship.  We are on Octantis...the Expedition ship.  And what is the "Fram"?  

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, zitsky said:

Why do you call it a balcony?  It appears to be a window???

It is called a balcony...just like the X Infinite balcony...though IMHO...it is indeed simply a window that opens.  😉 .  Viking calls it their "Nordic" balcony.   The top window slides down completely, and becomes an open air thing.  Much like the Infinite balconies on X, and is why I showed the picture.   

Edited by island lady
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, island lady said:

OK....Had me confused when you said Exploration ship.  We are on Octantis...the Expedition ship.  And what is the "Fram"?  

one of Hurtigruten's fleet of Expediton vessels.

a fully ice strengthened ship perfect for our Antarctic cruise where we had landings on the Antarctic Peninsular, South Georgia and the several of the small islands that make up the Falklands.

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Liao said:

TBH I have seen other comments from recent cruisers similar to yours re overall condition of the ship.  I would be more concerned with it getting in wind down mode re provisions, crew at the end of their contracts etc.  Food and beverage is already very inconsistent so I just took it as an opportunity to branch out and try a new to me line.

I lied.  I had one drawer in my cabin that was a bit loose and I reported it.  Of course you are always free to decide which posts are more relevant.

You might want to look for Kelly Hoppen designed cabins like on Millie.

Edited by zitsky

7 hours ago, whitshel said:

I’ve never heard of someone wanting to lie, I mean sit, in the sun for hours on a cruise ship.  Never ever.  It just isn’t done.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, woodsmiths said:

I love the way some people get really wound up on cruise critic about the infinite verandah on Edge class ships not being a real balcony.  It’s not called a balcony for a reason.

It is a pointless comparison.  It’s a bit like arguing that the cat you bought isn’t a very good dog.  

On Edge class ships the standard Infinite Verandah Staterooms provide a slightly larger room than a standard balcony stateroom on S&M class ships (pardon the acronym) with a small sunroom facing the water with a very nice picture window that you can control up or down at your leisure.  Sometimes, the governing entity onboard the ship takes control of the picture window and closes it for safety reason.  A bit like when the governing entity on a plane puts on the fasten seat belt sign - they don’t do it for the entire flight.

We sailed on the Edge earlier this year from Australia to New Zealand return in one of these types of staterooms and found it to be a very pleasant experience given the prevailing climate.  At no stage was the picture window operated by anyone other than us.

Is it a balcony? No.  Does it give you a feeling of being on a balcony? Yes. Which is preferable? Try it, you might like it or you might not, or you may not care. Should you get wildly passionate about the issue? Sure, why not.

Nice features with the picture window include being able to have it fully open, half open, etc, having it open when you sleep, and having little sensors that prevent it from moving if you are leaning on it.

And yet you’re wound up enough to write that long post….

Yes it’s great to leave the window open at night.  I can do the same thing with a balcony door.

For me it’s not about the definition although it’s important.  It’s the way Celebrity and others say “but a window is better, don’t you see?”.

The Celebrity marketing is really ridiculous.

https://www.celebritycruises.com/things-to-do-onboard/staterooms/veranda-stateroom

If you look at the definition of veranda, Celebrity may be right.  But a veranda is not a balcony so why do people keep calling it that?  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veranda?wprov=sfti1

Edited by zitsky
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, zitsky said:

And yet you’re wound up enough to write that long post….

Yes it’s great to leave the window open at night.  I can do the same thing with a balcony door.

For me it’s not about the definition although it’s important.  It’s the way Celebrity and others say “but a window is better, don’t you see?”.

The Celebrity marketing is really ridiculous.

https://www.celebritycruises.com/things-to-do-onboard/staterooms/veranda-stateroom

If you look at the definition of veranda, Celebrity may be right.  But a veranda is not a balcony so why do people keep calling it that?  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veranda?wprov=sfti1

Sorry for writing a long post that you don’t agree with.  Such is life.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

We are way behind 😁  The removal of loungers and footstools is up to 28 pages ...

guess we need to stir the pot more!

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, woodsmiths said:

Sorry for writing a long post that you don’t agree with.  Such is life.

I don’t care if you agree with me or not.  So do you complain about people getting wound up and then move on, or do you do the same thing?  🙄

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, woodsmiths said:

Very good and balanced comments.  Thank you.

We get caught up in definitions and semantics here.  Just choose the cabin you want, pay for it and enjoy the cruise.

I often wonder if Celebrity had called the IV and IS (Infinite Sunroom) and never used the confusing term Verandah if we would have had 8 years of threads and posts on the subject.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

25 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

I often wonder if Celebrity had called the IV and IS (Infinite Sunroom) and never used the confusing term Verandah if we would have had 8 years of threads and posts on the subject.

No, and, it would have allowed more time and effort to go into more important matters, like additional tipping.  😁

Just now, jgmorgan said:

No, and, it would have allowed more time and effort to go into more important matters, like additional tipping.  😁

How about extra tipping to bring a lounger to your real balcony?

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

How about extra tipping to bring a lounger to your real balcony?

How much should one tip to have a lounger brought to my infinite balcony…uh, I mean my luxurious lanai?

• Haha 1

Been wasting time this morning on CC and have found this topic interesting.

Have been on more than 30 cruises across many lines. We/I are not loyal to one cruise line and choose based on price, itinerary and calendar. I want to thank those who have explained what an Infinite Veranda is. As a sometime Celebrity cruiser unless I was on CC I would have no idea what an IV is. I also have no idea which are E class ships, S cabins, etc.

I generally book the cabin category I feel comfortable paying for on any particular cruise. That has never included suites. If I decide to pay for a balcony cabin for an itinerary and did not get a balcony I would not be a happy cruiser. I love sitting out on the balcony with my book and a cocktail with the breeze/fresh air.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, woodsmiths said:

It would be more appropriate to compare it to an OceanView cabin. A window to window comparison.  IVs are more like an upgraded OceanView ...

Edited by NMTraveller

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

It would be more appropriate to compare it to an OceanView cabin. A window to window comparison.  IVs are more like an upgraded OceanView ...

You’re losing me here, how do you get fresh air into an ocean view cabin? 

Edited by PTC DAWG

15 minutes ago, vswan said:

If I decide to pay for a balcony cabin for an itinerary and did not get a balcony I would not be a happy cruiser. I love sitting out on the balcony with my book and a cocktail with the breeze/fresh air.

Unfortunately this happens all too often.  People think that the IVs are balconies and then get on the ship and are disappointed.  This is the #1 complaint while on E class.