BYO - footstools, etc. - Response from Executive Office

We are new cruisers to Celebrity. My husband has a medical issue that makes it difficult/painful for him to sit in a straight-backed verandah chair.

For our first cruise on the Equinox in a Deluxe Verandah on the "hump", we were able to get a lounger (the verandah was larger than normal).  All was good, he was able to enjoy sitting on the verandah without pain and enjoy the cruise.

All the posts about Celebrity removing the loungers and footstools from all ships for "safety reasons" caused some concern about our upcoming cruise on the Apex in a Retreat Sky Suite.  I spoke with the Executive office in February about the need for either a footstool with an adjustable back chair or a lounger on our Apex cruise and at that time was assured by the Executive Office representative that if there is a medical reason that Celebrity should be able to accommodate such and further that she thought one would fit in a Sky Suite.

Fast-forward -- now, reading the comments on Cruise Critic, it still seems like there is inconsistency among the ships -- and the Apex does not sound like one that is providing them upon request.  We have a letter from the physician about this medical need.  So, I contacted the Executive Office to confirm the availability on the Apex and inquire as to how to request one prior to boarding.  I even offered to send them the physician's letter.

The person in the Executive Office explained that she spoke to their "access department" and was told that they cannot guarantee either a lounger or an adjustable back chair with a footstool or set up this request in advance.  She explained that the suggestion by the "access department" is to Bring Your Own. She also said that whether or not one would be provided after boarding is up to the "onboard staff discretion". 

When I asked her who we would speak to on the ship after boarding, she said we would need to go to Guest Services. So, I asked her why was I spending so much money to sail in the Retreat if we just need to go to the general Guest Services department.  She then stumbled and said "Oh, you would ask your room attendant".  Then, she said to ask the Concierge when they came to our cabin to introduce them self. I expressed that I did not know the Concierge came to the cabin and asked if she meant "butler".  She stumbled over her words and said yes -- your butler.  

Basically, she must be new in the Executive Office and it was clear and apparent that all she could do was read a predefined script of answers. 

Total frustration to make and pay for a reservation based on the description and amenities at the time of your booking, and cannot be certain that you will get what you are paying for.  The Retreat Sky Suite specifically said a "verandah with lounger" in the description when we made and paid for the reservation.  So, at this point, based on this recent Executive Office interaction, the "bring your own footstool" response by the "access department", and Celebrity's continual change to amenities, etc. after booking, I am not certain that I will continue to sail with Celebrity. Y

• Like 1

Not sure if it will help or not but I would fill out a Special Needs form and submit it with a copy of your doctors note.    It's worth a try.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Not sure if it will help or not but I would fill out a Special Needs form and submit it with a copy of your doctors note.    It's worth a try.

Good idea.  I did not know such a form existed and was not advised of such a form by the Executive Office.  Would you happen to know where I can find the form on Celebrity's website?  Thank you!

6 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

@Jim_Iain  Thanks for the suggestion.  I just found the form on Celebrity's website.

• Like 4

We have been on all E class ships including the Apex. 

The only Sky Suites that had loungers on them were the Magic Carpet Sky Suites and Sunset Sky Suites which have larger balconies than the other Sky Suites.

The balconies on the majority of Sky Suites are narrow making moving around on the balcony cumbersome with a lounger. 

The Retreat Sundeck is a great place to relax with lots of Loungers, cushioned sofas and chairs. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am genuinely curious as to how this lounger issue has become so prevalent.  In all of my comparatively limited cruises, I have only ever had a lounger on the Edge Villa.  Otherwise never on Celebrity or NCL.  I have watched a bunch of balcony room videos on YouTube and rarely have I seen loungers on regular balcony rooms on any of the lines I have seen.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Liao said:

I am genuinely curious as to how this lounger issue has become so prevalent.  In all of my comparatively limited cruises, I have only ever had a lounger on the Edge Villa.  Otherwise never on Celebrity or NCL.  I have watched a bunch of balcony room videos on YouTube and rarely have I seen loungers on regular balcony rooms on any of the lines I have seen.

It's the rage of the moment. That's all. 

Celebrity way also be a bit curious how the person was fine in December, posted about riding bikes 40 miles a day in perfect health in January, contacted executive customer service needing medically required special lounge chairs in February, then back to posting about taking indoor cycle classes in May. I am not a doctor but that seems weird. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

7 minutes ago, paulh84 said:

Celebrity way also be a bit curious how the person was fine in December, posted about riding bikes 40 miles a day in perfect health in January, contacted executive customer service needing medically required special lounge chairs in February, then back to posting about taking indoor cycle classes in May. I am not a doctor but that seems weird.

Oh, it's the sea air from all the lounging on the balcony. (Or, more likely, it's in the same category as the miracle healings on flights - you know, the phenomenon of multiple wheelchairs lined up for pre-boarding and yet a collection of empty chairs and pushers waiting for passengers who were healed on the flight and bolt off the plane.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

we have always had a lounger or a high back adjustable chair  with footstools. For those of us that enjoy the “privacy” of our balconey, those silly small chairs are not comfortable .   Not everyone wants to be poolside, and crowded in.  Not just all the rage at the moment

As for the gentleman paulh84 mentioned, how do you know his health condition?  Some that have had mutiple TKRs or leg surgeries can ride a bike, be it outdoors or stationery, but sitting for any length of time can be uncomfortable without a footstool say, to take pressure off.  Some physicians recommend that you elevate your leg for various reasons.  Dont knock what you dont know for certain 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Ask the butler for help.

We were on the Beyond last year in a sunset sky suite with chairs and a lounger without pad on the balcony. I know the loungers are gone but bear with me.

My husband had Lewy Body Disease with Parkinson’s symptoms. He could sit on the low lounger but had extreme difficulty getting up. The butler came by and I asked if he could find a higher lounger or a cushion or something. Response was no I don’t think so yadda yadda. I will ask my boss.

We went somewhere. When we returned, there was a five inch cushion on the lounger. It was two inches too wide but they positioned the lounger so it was safe.

i was polite and respectful. I did not talk about how much it cost and what we deserved. I just spoke about what my husband needed to enjoy the balcony.

if they choose too do so, they can help you.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, paulh84 said:

It's the rage of the moment. That's all. 

Don't presume to know the motivation for other people.  For those customers that have had a lounger on a particular cabin category in the past, whether suite or SV, there is a reasonable expectation that this would continue for future cruises. Not a fad at all.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, daybrake said:

Then, she said to ask the Concierge when they came to our cabin to introduce them self. I expressed that I did not know the Concierge came to the cabin and asked if she meant "butler".  She stumbled over her words and said yes -- your butler.  

Basically, she must be new in the Executive Office and it was clear and apparent that all she could do was read a predefined script of answers. 

If someone is like this on the phone with Admin staff, I worry about how they will treat ship staff.

Generally speaking, Celebrity passengers (Retreat or otherwise) tend to be very chill, go with the flow type of passengers.  The ship will make every effort to accommodate a passenger's needs, but I would suggest leaving the "I'm Retreat" attitude shoreside.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, TheHawk1 said:

Don't presume to know the motivation for other people.  For those customers that have had a lounger on a particular cabin category in the past, whether suite or SV, there is a reasonable expectation that this would continue for future cruises. Not a fad at all.

I have a reasonable expectation the quality of beef would be better. It is not like it was in the past. Just off Apex. The beef steaks flavor and quality was poor. Not like it was just after covid or before. On Apex we dined in Luminae, Fine Cut Steakhouse, and Eden Restaurant. The worst was Eden's Beef Wellington short ribs. It was very dry. 

I just have to lower my expectation and eat more salmon.

29 minutes ago, bigbenboys said:

I have a reasonable expectation the quality of beef would be better. It is not like it was in the past. Just off Apex. The beef steaks flavor and quality was poor. Not like it was just after covid or before. On Apex we dined in Luminae, Fine Cut Steakhouse, and Eden Restaurant. The worst was Eden's Beef Wellington short ribs. It was very dry. 

I just have to lower my expectation and eat more salmon.

That's what I usually do, stick with the fish. 👍 😉

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 1Virgo said:

Dont knock what you dont know for certain 

Thank you @TheHawk1 and @1virgo. @paulh84 and @WrittenOnYourHeart since neither of you are medical professionals, I can see how you would not understand the long term implications of multiple accidents that resulted in multiple spinal injuries. Things can be fine for a while, and then something as simple as riding in a pedicab and then the pedicab driver hits a pothole hard can manifest in a painful condition that may last for weeks, months . . . 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, daybrake said:

Thank you @TheHawk1 and @1virgo. @paulh84 and @WrittenOnYourHeart since neither of you are medical professionals, I can see how you would not understand the long term implications of multiple accidents that resulted in multiple spinal injuries. Things can be fine for a while, and then something as simple as riding in a pedicab and then the pedicab driver hits a pothole hard can manifest in a painful condition that may last for weeks, months . . . 

Wait a minute!!    .  Due to an accident, I spent 7+ years in physiotherapy, 5 + years on 2 crutches and way too many surgeries .  I think you have misread our posts.  I am in support of having comfortable loungers/chairs and footstools.  Please go back and reread!   I UNDERSTAND.  

I responded to the statement the loungers issue  was a “fad”

4 hours ago, Liao said:

Over the years on X , we always had loungers when we booked oversized balcony angled (hump) cabins, C M & S class ships.  Also had one or two on the  aft balc of of Sunset Veranda cabin...  The move to remove is recent!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Ps.. we also had a big balc on our Sky Suite on Beyond..but have no idea abt a lounger....never went on the balc...The.Retreat outdoor area had plenty of loungers.

1 hour ago, 1Virgo said:

Wait a minute!!    .  Due to an accident, I spent 7+ years in physiotherapy, 5 + years on 2 crutches and way too many surgeries .  I think you have misread our posts.  I am in support of having comfortable loungers/chairs and footstools.  Please go back and reread!   I UNDERSTAND.  

I responded to the statement the loungers issue  was a “fad”

@virgo1 I was thanking you and TheHawk1 for support and understanding.  My comments/explanation was to WrittenOnYourHeart and Paulh84.  Guess I should have made my first sentence longer to be more clear. 

• Like 3

Just now, daybrake said:

@virgo1 I was thanking you and TheHawk1 for support and understanding.  My comments/explanation was to WrittenOnYourHeart and Paulh84.  Guess I should have made my first sentence longer to be more clear. 

Got it. Often difficult to get correct meaning across on forums.  Fingers crossed, Celebrity listens

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, daybrake said:

@Jim_Iain  Thanks for the suggestion.  I just found the form on Celebrity's website.

Happy you did.   I would have thought that would be the first suggestion but some of the representatives aren't fully trained or just forgot themselves.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 7/17/2024 at 12:48 PM, TheHawk1 said:

Exactly! One of our very favorite parts of cruising is relaxing on our balcony. And definitely not a fad- it's been true for us for dozens of years, ever since ships started adding balconies to their ships.  To call it a fad is ridiculous to say the least. Those who dont use their balconies don't care. But lots of us do!

Edited by phoenix_dream
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

Exactly! One of our very favorite parts of cruising is relaxing on our balcony. And definitely not a fad- it's been true for us for dozens of years, ever since ships started adding balconies to their ships.  To call it a fad is ridiculous to say the least. Those who dont use their balconies don't care. But lots of us do!

We agree completely. 👍

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

At first, I was 100% joking but now I'm only HALF joking as come to think of it, this isn't the worst idea.  I'm sure it's been tried before, not sure if you can get it on but half the time the porters don't care.  It's a solid backup, saves you money on beach port days as you won't need to pay for a chair, and if there are chair hogs by the pool, no problem if you bring this!  Even includes a travel pouch with a shoulder strap

image.thumb.png.86919b7df269df777fdeb83587a95ce4.png

Edited by NutsAboutGolf
  • Like 2