Medallion Shenanigans

hpeabody

I paid the $10.00 fee to have my medallion shipped to my home (California) to hopefully save myself the wait in line at Southampton.

According to the tracking it arrived at my local post office Sunday night, and was supposed to be out for delivery Monday.  It did not travel the world as some medallions have, it was in California the whole time.  Well, no medallion Monday, no Medallion, Tuesday, no medallion Wednesday.  At one point it said to be delivered by 8:00 PM tonight, Wednesday. A couple hours later there is a note that delivery has been delayed to the next business day.  I called the local post office and spoke to a supervisor. He confirmed everything above and verified shipping information.  He had no answer for me as to what happened to it.  He says he will speak to the mail delivery person tomorrow as it is now closing time and they have gone home.  Has it fallen through the cracks????????  Now my thoughtful and paid extra for plan to avoid the extra waiting in line is potentially not going to happen.  Grrrrrrrrrrr

Posted (edited)

Have faith, Holly! If the thing never arrives before you leave go to Customer Services and have them apply $10 OBC to your account. You will have a great cruise whether the Medallion shows up in time or not but, hopefully, it will probably arrive soon.

Edited by Thrak
  • Like 7

It has been riding around in the truck, out for delivery for 3 days ????   I live less than 2 miles from the local post office.  This is not right.

Out for Delivery

July 15, 2024, 6:23 am

1 hour ago, Thrak said:

Have faith, Holly! If the thing never arrives before you leave go to Customer Services and have them apply $10 OBC to your account. You will have a great cruise whether the Medallion shows up in time or not but, hopefully, it will probably arrive soon.

Hi there.  Yeah right! Princess and USPS, what could go wrong?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Well, it seems that Princess produced the medallion in plenty of time for delivery before you leave for Southampton but the USPS might have had some issues.  Sometimes the medallion if it is made and shipped from overseas has a couple of days before it clears customs and delivered to USPS for delivery.

Regardless, even if you don't receive it before you leave it's an easy process to have it produced at the port before you board the ship.  If that's the worst thing that happens during your voyage you will have a great time and enjoy the $10 OBC for your trouble.

8 hours ago, hpeabody said:

hopefully save myself the wait in line at Southampton

Hi, I don’t know if this is reassuring or not, but everyone in the UK has to pick up their medallion in port. We don’t get shipping offered.

as a result they have issuing the medallions at Southampton down to a fine art and it takes mere minutes

and honestly, I don’t think it will save you time. You’ll be in the same queue to check in as everyone else whether you pick up the medallion or not. They give you the medallion from behind the check-in counters.

Happy sailing from the UK. Where are you off to?

• Like 1

USPS issues. If you do not have the medallion you can pick it up at the pier. I have no experience in Southampton, but in Ft. Lauderdale the detour was around 5 minutes. 

Hopefully it will arrive soon.  We cruised end of May, Southampton -QE 2, Sky Princess.  We had ours, but a couple we shared a cab with from London to the port, did not. They actually beat us to the lounge. 

We get it, you had this planned and it's quite frustrating....but the downside of not getting it is a rather inconsequential delay in boarding.  Have a great cruise!

We ordered our medallions last month for a cruise sailing on the 31st. Now the app shows no medallions ordered. Ocean Ready claims it is a glitch and our medallions will show up by Friday. No tracking email nothing. Time will tell I guess

• Like 2

I've ordered my medallion for port pickup, October cruise.  Everything is green, except the medallion, which is, I'm assuming, because I did port pick up that puts me in blue lane?  

I haven't cruised since 2019, so it will be interesting for me.  Traveling alone, I'm never in a rush to get on the ship, cruising is about relaxing for me.  I smile when I see all the comments about how long this or that takes.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, hpeabody said:

I paid the $10.00 fee to have my medallion shipped to my home (California) to hopefully save myself the wait in line at Southampton.

According to the tracking it arrived at my local post office Sunday night, and was supposed to be out for delivery Monday.  It did not travel the world as some medallions have, it was in California the whole time.  Well, no medallion Monday, no Medallion, Tuesday, no medallion Wednesday.  At one point it said to be delivered by 8:00 PM tonight, Wednesday. A couple hours later there is a note that delivery has been delayed to the next business day.  I called the local post office and spoke to a supervisor. He confirmed everything above and verified shipping information.  He had no answer for me as to what happened to it.  He says he will speak to the mail delivery person tomorrow as it is now closing time and they have gone home.  Has it fallen through the cracks????????  Now my thoughtful and paid extra for plan to avoid the extra waiting in line is potentially not going to happen.  Grrrrrrrrrrr

You might want to check and make sure your postman hasn’t booked a flight to Southampton. 😉

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, JG&Lcruisingnewbies said:

Hi, I don’t know if this is reassuring or not, but everyone in the UK has to pick up their medallion in port. We don’t get shipping offered.

as a result they have issuing the medallions at Southampton down to a fine art and it takes mere minutes

and honestly, I don’t think it will save you time. You’ll be in the same queue to check in as everyone else whether you pick up the medallion or not. They give you the medallion from behind the check-in counters.

Yes, we always get ours at the port and Southampton was one of the fastest, most efficient embarkations ever. No lines. It used to be that Canadians couldn’t get ours shipped, but even now that we can, I would never bother. We’ve never felt it has delayed us at all.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, hpeabody said:

I hear the post office driver has ordered two pizza, a pint of lager and a pina colada on the medallion and is waiting for the steward to turn up. Sorry to be frivolous about you situation, hope it turns up soon.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Well, another day, mail delivered, NO MEDALLION.  I called my local post office again today.  They have no answer and seem to be kind of uninterested.  Looks like I will call Princess to create an medallion order for pick up later today if I do not hear from the local post office.  I never had this issue when we did not pay for it, LOL

Edited by hpeabody
  • Like 1

Picking up the medallion at Southampton added possibly a whole extra minute to our check-in. If it doesn't show up in time, no worries.

Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 1

Another reason for Princess to stop Medallion shipment pre-cruise.  It creates unnecessary customer service issues.  If everyone just picked up at the port or if they were waiting in the cabins, this would be a non-issue.

People are going to bash about how this would slow down check-in.  My question is why are the European check-in agents so much more efficient than their counterparts elsewhere?.  In Europe (Southampton, Barcelona, Civitavecchia, and Piraeus), picking up Medallions adds but a minute, maybe less, to the check-in process.  If the Medallions were in people's cabins, it would add zero extra time to the check-in process.

Anyways, have a good cruise!

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, SCX22 said:

It creates unnecessary customer service issues.  If everyone just picked up at the port or if they were waiting in the cabins, this would be a non-issue.

Totally agree.  It is such an anxiety producing issue...raising one's blood pressure.  

BUT...it is a selling point for buying The Princess Plus/Premier.  Will they "have to" reduce the cost by a couple of dollars? No such luck.

"I get it for free shipping...I want it in my hot little hands".

Suggestion....Drop price, drop free shipping, drop 2 desserts a day, drop 2 gym classes, drop casual dining.  Charge me $50 for Crew Appreciation, wifi, and 15 alcoholic drinks.  While they are making this NEW price adjustment, give a discount to Elites for taking away the 50% off wifi.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Apparently Princess are working on getting the medallions sent out In the UK.

Honestly, I won’t bother. Compared to the 2 minutes it took for me and 2 others to get our medallion at the port, I think it would take 5-10 times the amount of time to call Princess to try sort out any issues if you don’t receive it. Potentially to no avail.

I agree with either not sending them out so all ports work out a quick system to hand them to passengers, or get them in the cabin. Sound like US ports could learn something from Southampton port in this situation

• Like 1

On 7/18/2024 at 10:57 AM, JG&Lcruisingnewbies said:

Sometimes they split the line and the pick up at port line is short/no one, quicker than the i got my medallion line especially if a bus load from airport just turned up..

We turn up early(10:00-10:30) to be on before 11:00 most trips, the 30-90 seconds or so it takes them to get your medallion is less time waiting for boarding to start.

Even when we(UK) can get them delivered we won't as it is one more thing to forget or lose on the way to the ship.

16 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Totally agree.  It is such an anxiety producing issue...raising one's blood pressure.  

Really?  Getting or not getting the medallion ahead of time causes this?  It is really a completely inconsequential thing.  

35 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Really?  Getting or not getting the medallion ahead of time causes this?  It is really a completely inconsequential thing.  

It may be inconsequential now but a few years ago before they started mailing to Canada the blue line in Vancouver was a mile long

40 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Yes, the anticipation DOES cause me anguish.  I track my medallion.  When it sits somewhere for days or goes in a circuitous route, I get frustrated with the process.  I find as I get older, it is harder for me to deal with ineptness of what should be such a simple task.  

Maybe I have too much time on my hands.  Maybe I am just overly excited about knowing the medallion takes me one step closer to leaving.  It doesn't matter.  This is how "I" feel.  Does it interfere with my mental state in the long run?  No....

You are fortunate that these hiccups don't bother you.  

• Like 1