Email from RCI asking if we would like to cancel our cruise....."Are your plans flexible?"

I did get to see the two cabins that were assigned to us. However, I didn't check in fully as I was waiting on the response from RCCI over the possible cancellation

The cabins were both on the 7th Deck and opposing sides of the ship - Unfortunately I didn't take a note of them and no longer have access

6 hours ago, Iamthesea said:

6 hours ago, Iamthesea said:

So close to sailing, I hope you were offered 100% (equal to what you were paying for your cruise) Future Cruise Credit!!!

The value of the FCC will be the cruise fare amount paid originally. 

• Like 1

Similar post on the Celebrity board about a similar offer for an Alaskan cruise on 7/26. Must be an overbooked summer at RCG.

mac_tlc

Had a similar offer from Norwegian on a 7 day cruise NYC to Canada, got a full refund plus $1,000 credit on a future cruise which I had already booked through the Panama Canal 19 days from Tampa to Vancouver, only costed about $800 for wife and I to cruise.  We had been called about 2 months before the sail date, were offered the deal immediately and took it .

• Like 1

On 7/19/2024 at 2:58 AM, ispiral said:

We are shortly about to embark on our first Royal Caribbean cruise - having so far have completed 15 cruise with Norwegian and MSC

I have just received an email from Royal Caribbean entitled "Are Your Plans Flexible?" which has asked whether I would like to cancel the specific cruise I have booked and instead book on a different cruise later in the year.  For this I would receive 100% refund of all costs PLUS 100% cruise credit. In addition RCI would cover any non refundable flight and hotel costs

The offer is entirely optional - I can choose to stay with my original booking if I want. 

However, there is no guarantee that I can definitely take up this offer. I have to submit a request to do so - in the same way that I can submit offers for upgrades - and I will not be informed whether my request to cancel has been accepted until a week or so before departure

Has anyone else received this sort of email ?  Is this a Royal Caribbean thing, as I have never had this with Norwegian or MSC?  Nor could I find any reference searching though these boards on Cruise Critic?

It almost sounds like a scam, although I don't see what potential scammers can achieve. The email included our correct booking references.

I am tempted to go for the offer as it does seem a little too good to be true 

Any advice / opinions welcome......

I recently got an email from Celebrity with almost the same wording.

I believe that the Royal group is overbooking trying to maximize profits (like the airline industry) and then when not enough people cancel on their own Royal to resort to offers like this before they start to deny boarding to people involuntarily.

What does concern me is that they were allocated rooms and then asked to vacate!!  It is not like the rooms were next door to each other so could have plumbing issues, or were needed for a group to be next door to each other ?

LB > who had a gty on Voyager in a few weeks that has not been allocated yet! 

21 hours ago, mugtech said:

Had a similar offer from Norwegian on a 7 day cruise NYC to Canada, got a full refund plus $1,000 credit on a future cruise which I had already booked through the Panama Canal 19 days from Tampa to Vancouver, only costed about $800 for wife and I to cruise.  We had been called about 2 months before the sail date, were offered the deal immediately and took it .

Wow $800 for a Panama transit. Tampa all the way to Vancouver. Oct 2025 royal is doing vancouver to San Diego and San Diego to ft Lauderdale on radiance. Have to pay for 2 legs and I'd bet each leg is twice what you are paying. What a great deal. 

I see a frequent poster who booked both legs but not flr $800. Is that $800 total or pp. I gotta check around more.

2 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Wow $800 for a Panama transit. Tampa all the way to Vancouver. Oct 2025 royal is doing vancouver to San Diego and San Diego to ft Lauderdale on radiance. Have to pay for 2 legs and I'd bet each leg is twice what you are paying. What a great deal. 

I see a frequent poster who booked both legs but not flr $800. Is that $800 total or pp. I gotta check around more.

Was back in 2015!!!

On 7/24/2024 at 1:24 PM, mugtech said:

Had a similar offer from Norwegian on a 7 day cruise NYC to Canada, got a full refund plus $1,000 credit on a future cruise which I had already booked through the Panama Canal 19 days from Tampa to Vancouver, only costed about $800 for wife and I to cruise.  

3 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I understood the $800 to be $1800 - $1000 credit.  Is that correct @mugtech?

On 7/19/2024 at 1:58 AM, ispiral said:

We are shortly about to embark on our first Royal Caribbean cruise - having so far have completed 15 cruise with Norwegian and MSC

I have just received an email from Royal Caribbean entitled "Are Your Plans Flexible?" which has asked whether I would like to cancel the specific cruise I have booked and instead book on a different cruise later in the year.  For this I would receive 100% refund of all costs PLUS 100% cruise credit. In addition RCI would cover any non refundable flight and hotel costs

The offer is entirely optional - I can choose to stay with my original booking if I want. 

However, there is no guarantee that I can definitely take up this offer. I have to submit a request to do so - in the same way that I can submit offers for upgrades - and I will not be informed whether my request to cancel has been accepted until a week or so before departure

Has anyone else received this sort of email ?  Is this a Royal Caribbean thing, as I have never had this with Norwegian or MSC?  Nor could I find any reference searching though these boards on Cruise Critic?

It almost sounds like a scam, although I don't see what potential scammers can achieve. The email included our correct booking references.

I am tempted to go for the offer as it does seem a little too good to be true 

Any advice / opinions welcome......

As others have stated, this is not a scam. Unfortunately from what I have heard, this is becoming more common with RCI overbooking cruises. A big reason why I would never book a guarantee cabin. 

• Like 1

On 7/23/2024 at 10:04 AM, ispiral said:

Apologies for the delay in responding - a case of real life getting in the way of more important things such as booking cruise holidays.....

In answer to your questions, the cruise I had booked was on the Voyager of the Seas out of Ravenna,Italy on 29th July.  

We did have two Guarantee Balcony cabins booked on this ship

However, as of last night we have been offered and accepted to cancel our booking on this ship and instead accept a refund as well as Future Cruise Credit

Thank you for your comments and observations

Congratulations on scoring a very nice deal! Something like this wouldn't work for me, since my wife and I work full time and I in particular have to request vacation time off. If I were to cancel a week before, there's no guarantee I could switch my vacation to a different date and have it approved. But if you have the flexibility, it sounds like an unbeatable deal! 😄

45 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

As others have stated, this is not a scam. Unfortunately from what I have heard, this is becoming more common with RCI overbooking cruises. A big reason why I would never book a guarantee cabin. 

For me, it's a big reason to book a guarantee cabin.  😄

I think guarantee vs. assigned rarely comes into play for these situations.

BTW, my only voluntary "bump" or cabin changes have always involved assigned cabins.  YMMV.

6 hours ago, LB_NJ said:

I recently got an email from Celebrity with almost the same wording.

I believe that the Royal group is overbooking trying to maximize profits (like the airline industry) and then when not enough people cancel on their own Royal to resort to offers like this before they start to deny boarding to people involuntarily.

My guess is that denying boarding will not happen.  The offers will keep increasing until they retrieve the required space.

1 hour ago, Another_Critic said:

For me, it's a big reason to book a guarantee cabin.  😄

I think guarantee vs. assigned rarely comes into play for these situations.

BTW, my only voluntary "bump" or cabin changes have always involved assigned cabins.  YMMV.

The recent non-voluntary cancellations I have heard or read about have all involved people with guaranteed cabins having their cruise cancelled. Of course the chances of this happening are still extremely low, but that doesn’t help the person(s) when this happens to them. 

2 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

The recent non-voluntary cancellations I have heard or read about have all involved people with guaranteed cabins having their cruise cancelled. Of course the chances of this happening are still extremely low, but that doesn’t help the person(s) when this happens to them. 

Royal Caribbean ... where guarantee has a new meaning.  😄

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
On 7/23/2024 at 10:22 AM, Biker19 said:

By any chance did you check in and try to find your cabin assignments via the barcode trick?

What is the barcode trick?

I have a GTY cabin on the Athens sailing on Voyager of the Seas August 26.

This thread has me very nervous.  This is a big deal European vacation with flights and hotels booked on each end of a cruise.

Edited by deltahog

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, deltahog said:

What is the barcode trick?

Decode the barcode in your SetSail pass - it should decode to <booking#> - GTY or cabin number. 

On an iPhone simply put it into your wallet and will automatically decode. On Android you’ll need a barcode decoder. Same online. 

Edited by Biker19
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Decode the barcode in your SetSail pass - it should decode to <booking#> - GTY or cabin number. 

On an iPhone simply put it into your wallet and will automatically decode. On Android you’ll need a barcode decoder. Same online. 

Uh maybe not necessary.

Last time I looked my stateroom said GTY.  Now it says 7666.  So that's the answer, yes?

Edited by deltahog

On 7/19/2024 at 2:58 AM, ispiral said:

This is rare, but I've heard of it happening.  Now that we're retired, yeah, I'd take that deal.  Money back for the cruise we can't take this week + a no-cost cruise weeks later?  Why wouldn't anyone with a flexible schedule take this deal?  

On 7/25/2024 at 3:21 PM, PhillyFan33579 said:

A big reason why I would never book a guarantee cabin. 

You wouldn't book a guarantee because you're afraid you'd be given a choice at the last minute?    

• Thanks 1