What's more important to you?

If we are thanking those who keep the "cruise line afloat" then we should be thanking all the big gamblers, the heavy drinkers, and everyone who shells out the bucks for the ship's special experiences: spas, specialty dining, excursions etc. If more people were like the two of us (who eat only at main dining, sit on our balcony or take only independent excursions) the cruise lines would indeed be in deep trouble. So thanks, guys! 

• Like 4

No more than 12 days, after that I need land. 

But we cruise at least six times per year.

After many years of frugality, money is no object, when I'm with my partner, we always sail in at least a junior suite.  We also get anything our hearts desire as add ons.

On the rare occasion that I sail alone, I get the cheapest cabin there is, not because of finances, but because I truly don't care where I sleep.  Noise etc doesn't bother me in the least (I spent my college years living over a tapas bar).  I like to leave the quiet, less trafficked areas to those who are bothered by these things 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, lynncarol said:

If we are thanking those who keep the "cruise line afloat" then we should be thanking all the big gamblers, the heavy drinkers, and everyone who shells out the bucks for the ship's special experiences: spas, specialty dining, excursions etc. If more people were like the two of us (who eat only at main dining, sit on our balcony or take only independent excursions) the cruise lines would indeed be in deep trouble. So thanks, guys! 

You are paying for balconies. 😉

• Like 1

On 7/22/2024 at 9:35 PM, locksley10 said:

Thank you Suite people for subsidizing my cheap little room.

I could never afford to cruise 8 weeks a Year without you.

😘

I don't think that's how it works, but if it makes you happy to think so...

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Tatka said:

You are paying for balconies. 😉

True, but since we are both retired now, with so much flexibility, we wait to book until the balcony prices are not much more pp. than an inside cabin. Believe me, for many years we only had inside cabins but eventually decided since we are not night-owls, retire early and love watching the sea, having a balcony was well-worth the additional costs.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, lynncarol said:

True, but since we are both retired now, with so much flexibility, we wait to book until the balcony prices are not much more pp. than an inside cabin. Believe me, for many years we only had inside cabins but eventually decided since we are not night-owls, retire early and love watching the sea, having a balcony was well-worth the additional costs.

We book balconies occasionally.

They do not make much sense for us as cruises for us is a way to get away from our regular life. We do not spend much if any time on balconies, so we only book them when price is identical.

And before we booked several times when I needed to work some days. Otherwise it is insides, because it is all we need.

On 7/21/2024 at 5:14 AM, jobinseattle said:

What is more important to you as far as finances go. A shorter cruise (3,4 or 5 day) and a fancier room (Suites, Specialty dining, etc..) or a longer cruise (7 day or more) in a not as fancy cabin. I personally don't have an unlimited amount of money so I was thinking about alternating each year. Curious what others do?

On short cruises, we always just do balconies, on longer cruises (7 days or more) we are now doing JS.  We won't pay for anything about that since we don't spend time in our cabin.  We never do specialty dining as we are perfectly fine with the MDR.  Only thing extra we pay for is the Deluxe Pkg b/c even with our 6 free Pinnacle drinks a day, we know we will drink more than that and I save those drinks to take to the cabin and out to the islands each day.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, BND said:

I don't think that's how it works, but if it makes you happy to think so...

Jr. Suite 7300 vs my broom closet 2000 same basic ship board amenities.

Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, locksley10 said:

Jr. Suite 7300 vs my broom closet 2000 same basic ship board amenities.

7300?  Never, ever paid that for a cruise in a JS.  B2B, maybe, but not one cruise lol.  Plus double points for a JS.  But, you do you.  JS doesn't susbsidize anyone.  Let's see, my JS has a balcony and is larger. That's like saying renting a 2 bedroom apartment subsidizes a 1 bedroom apartment.  Or buying a big car subsidizes a small one.

Edited by BND

We are suite cruisers because we appreciate the space it provides. My husband and I are both only children and grew up with plenty of our own space. I have sailed in interior cabins growing up and recently on Margaritaville at sea and they are fine for short sailings (less than 3 days) but at the minimum we sail in balcony cabins if suites are not available. When we sail with our children we always sail in a GS or above for the space and so my autistic teenager can have a comfortable safe space away from crowds and loud sounds. We actually call him "Hugh" on cruises as he has an entertaining evening routine. He attends dinner, goes to ONE SHOW then heads to our stateroom with a hot chocolate. He spends the rest of his evening in  his bathrobe over his pj's in the cabin to watch the ocean or some tv. He doesn't mind at all if the rest of us stay out late, he just requests we bring him pizza 😂

Everyone has their thing and that's what makes the world go round 

2 hours ago, mandyleighflies said:

We are suite cruisers because we appreciate the space it provides. My husband and I are both only children and grew up with plenty of our own space. I have sailed in interior cabins growing up and recently on Margaritaville at sea and they are fine for short sailings (less than 3 days) but at the minimum we sail in balcony cabins if suites are not available. When we sail with our children we always sail in a GS or above for the space and so my autistic teenager can have a comfortable safe space away from crowds and loud sounds. We actually call him "Hugh" on cruises as he has an entertaining evening routine. He attends dinner, goes to ONE SHOW then heads to our stateroom with a hot chocolate. He spends the rest of his evening in  his bathrobe over his pj's in the cabin to watch the ocean or some tv. He doesn't mind at all if the rest of us stay out late, he just requests we bring him pizza 😂

Everyone has their thing and that's what makes the world go round 

Your son has the right idea. That actually sounds like a perfect evening routine to me.

Personally I like my ocean view balcony on 7 day cruise. We haven't traveled in a suite yet (but have one booked for a special occasion) but honestly I think a balcony is probably fine for us and the savings means I have money left for other things.. I pick 7 day cruises, because shorter isn't enough and while I would love to do longer, logistically it hasn't happened due to work schedules. We only get one long/more expensive trip per year. Maybe someday we will be able to do more vacations but for now this is where we are. I have contemplated interior rooms to save more money but I am one of those people that does like to relax on my balcony, though after our June Caribbean trip, I am rethinking that because it was way too hot.

• Like 1

This a personal preference issue like most things cruise-related.

We don’t care about our cabin and actually have reasons why we prefer interiors over balconies (I’m never paying for a suite although I’ve loved the perks the 2 times I was treated to one).

We’d book interiors no matter what but definitely would if it meant a longer cruise.

Always longer cruise, not worth the hassle of travel for less than 5 days, especially when it cost as much to fly into a Port and book a hotel that it does to book the cruise. Room: every time I have picked cheapest smallest room. I am out of my room by 5:30/6 AM hunting coffee, many days not to return till 8PM, and in for the night. On occasion I may pop back in for a swimsuit change or to drop off port purchased items, but then it is only a 15 minute stop. So sleeping 9-5 is like the only time I am in my room, and my eyes are closed.

Sailed on Quantum in May in a Grand Suite.  We specifically chose it because we figured we'd do Coastal Kitchen every night instead of paying for specialty restaurants.  We ate there two nights and the food was absolutely awful.  So disappointing.  I would never book anything above a Jr. Suite now and I'd only do that for the double points.

We tend to go for longer cruise in a less expensive cabin.  Even when we have splurged on a cabin we just don't spend that much time there.  For us the cabin is for the three esses: Showering, Sleeping and Secks (don't want to get a flag/warning, lol).  We watch some TV getting ready in the morning, same when getting ready for dinner and then wind down with a movie or something before bed.  Otherwise, we enjoy being out and about on the ship.  When we need or want quiet time (aside from a nap) we will just find a quiet spot and chill.  But many people don't like to cruise in anything less than a Jr Suite.  That's fine too, of course.  Just depends on what you want out of your cruise and what you like to do.

On 7/23/2024 at 6:45 AM, OldCaver said:

I can't afford 8 weeks a year, but those with the $ to stay in those suites do indeed keep the cruise line afloat for us cheapskates. (see what I did there?)

I'm pretty sure that the Celebrity Santa is from Kerrville Tx, are you the RCCL Santa?

• Like 1

We booked an inside cabin once and a porthole cabin once.

Two cruises with balconies and one with a suite.

We never requested a suite but had a horrible experience on a cruise so bad that a representative of the cruise line offered a suite at the cost of an OV.

Every other cruise has been a OV,our preference.We very rarely went on a cruise less than 14 nights.

On 7/22/2024 at 8:35 PM, locksley10 said:

Thank you Suite people for subsidizing my cheap little room.

I could never afford to cruise 8 weeks a Year without you.

😘

You're welcome.  Hey, I still gotta work and my boss would fall out of her chair laughing if I asked for 8 weeks off.

On 7/25/2024 at 11:08 AM, scubaslayer said:

Your son has the right idea. That actually sounds like a perfect evening routine to me.

Personally I like my ocean view balcony on 7 day cruise. We haven't traveled in a suite yet (but have one booked for a special occasion) but honestly I think a balcony is probably fine for us and the savings means I have money left for other things.. I pick 7 day cruises, because shorter isn't enough and while I would love to do longer, logistically it hasn't happened due to work schedules. We only get one long/more expensive trip per year. Maybe someday we will be able to do more vacations but for now this is where we are. I have contemplated interior rooms to save more money but I am one of those people that does like to relax on my balcony, though after our June Caribbean trip, I am rethinking that because it was way too hot.

for those of us that live in florida and only book balcony cabins, we know better than sailing to the caribbean  anytime except nov-april....That way you can actually enjoy your balcony and except for march, you can also avoid the dreaded horde of "yutes" that are a constant aggravation...wish you well.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, retired dude said:

for those of us that live in florida and only book balcony cabins, we know better than sailing to the caribbean  anytime except nov-april....That way you can actually enjoy your balcony and except for march, you can also avoid the dreaded horde of "yutes" that are a constant aggravation...wish you well.

We used to live in the swamp and now live in the desert. I underestimated how much I truly dislike humidity combined with heat. We do have a balcony suite the next summer but then I hope to go back to October-November or February vacations. Next summer is for a kid's graduation and bringing along a friend, so the balcony will be used but I missed my morning coffee routine and reading in the afternoon. A summer cruise is definitely noisier but we still had fun and I needed that vacation.

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/5/2024 at 11:55 AM, neverbeenhere said:

I'm pretty sure that the Celebrity Santa is from Kerrville Tx, are you the RCCL Santa?

Why no. I'm the real Santa. 🙂