Solo Cruiser can only book single cabins on Edge class ships

Posted (edited)

My husband and I have a Nov cruise on the APEX and my MIL is coming as well. She originally had a concierge cabin but decided later to just move to a solo cabin since it offer savings of more than $1000. Since the change was done, we discovered the cabin is significantly obstructed. She doesn't care but I do so I have been looking at reg infinite cabins to move her to (I will pay the difference) and I noticed that if the cabin is for 1 passenger, the options are only solo cabins or suites even though there is plenty of open cabins. I called the TA and she said it is a change and that solo travelers can only book solo cabins. If my MIL wanted to move to any other standard cabin including aqua or concierge) she can't book it and if she insist,  we will need to wait for approval from Celebrity. 

Anyone experienced this? I checked with several TAs as well to confirm this.

Like I said, she is OK with the cabin but I feel like people should have the flexibility to book any cabin. 

Edited by Sandy1975
Spelling
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I noticed this on a Beyond sailing next summer, for solo it's only showing inside cabins and solo verandas. It appears they removed the 150% solo supplement and replaced it with this cabin limitation.

As a solo cruiser I thought Celebrity had finally come to their senses regarding solo cruisers.  Guess I was wrong. Now we can’t even pick the cabin we would like.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

I feel like it's a fair compromise TBH.  Celebrity wants to maximize their revenue by filling as many cabins as they can with at least two people.  So they've dropped the solo supplement and replaced it with the option of a solo intended cabin or an inside category...both of which are VERY nice on the E class ships.  Presumably, this only applies to E class since S and M don't have designated solo cabins.  It's a case of not being able to please everyone...

OP, I agree with @PTC DAWG...and often the obstruction isn't as bad in reality as we make it out to be in our heads.  Example...we booked a PV cabin on Ascent that said it was obstructed.  The obstruction was a maintenance ladder off to our left.  

Edited by Georgia_Peaches
  • Like 1

On random I just looked at the Ascent on July 26, 2025. On that sailing it seems like a single can book any kind of room. Maybe they do this when a cruise is getting full?

• Like 1

The solo cabins on the E class ships may be nice for a 7 day cruise to the Caribbean but not so good if you are doing a 12 day cruise to Norway with jackets, boots, sweaters, etc..  At 79 years of age I don’t want to keep half my clothes in a suitcase under the bed for 12 days and I certainly would want a window at least to enjoy the scenery.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

If MIL doesn’t care, I don’t see any issues..if Momma is happy, everybody is happy. 

Agreed but it is more about flexibility. If I were to book a cabin, I would want the option of other choices. I know I could do a booking with a second TBD but it shouldn't be that way.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Spudd said:

On random I just looked at the Ascent on July 26, 2025. On that sailing it seems like a single can book any kind of room. Maybe they do this when a cruise is getting full?

Still lots of cabin on my sailing. Maybe once solo cabins are sold out, the rest will open up. I just noticed this and wanted to see if others experienced this.

9 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

Yet another reason why I won’t be booking an edge class ship ever

E Class or S Class, both excellent choices, and different at the same time, I like that aspect..

Choices are good..

4 minutes ago, Sandy1975 said:

Still lots of cabin on my sailing. Maybe once solo cabins are sold out, the rest will open up. I just noticed this and wanted to see if others experienced this.

If it was my ship, that is exactly how I would handle it..

• Thanks 1

I am now a solo cruiser and am just starting to explore the options. I have read the complaints about costs/choices for solo cruisers on Celebrity. Although I understand the comments, I also noticed that many of the upcoming cruises appear to have a limited number of cabins available for sale. From a purely financial standpoint, I can understand Celebrity wanting to fill cabins with more bodies that will spend more dollars onboard. If I owned the business I would probably do the same. Then open up for solos closer to the sail date to finish filling the cabins.

I have cruised solo on NCL in a solo balcony cabin. Those available for solo booking appeared to be in less desirable locations and the cost was a bit less that double occupancy - filling cabins that may be a harder sell.

26 minutes ago, Sandy1975 said:

Agreed but it is more about flexibility. If I were to book a cabin, I would want the option of other choices. I know I could do a booking with a second TBD but it shouldn't be that way.

I think many ‘solos’ are travelling with family and would like adjacent or at least rooms near together…Certainly we would, especially as I can occasionally need a bit of help. Limiting solo choices could end up restricting the choice for family groups…

that's a bad change ..I cruise with my spouse but would not want a lesser cabin if I went solo!

stuffing the ships to the max the Royal Way,  is already having neg  results..crowding at venues, lines, slower service etc.

not everyone travels like Noah's Ark!

26 minutes ago, Alakegirl said:

What about those who need accessible staterooms? Are any of the solo staterooms also classified as accessible?

There are no accessible solo cabins that I can see.  A solo needing an accessible cabin would most likely we able to book a double occupancy cabin if they contacted X.

1 hour ago, jelayne said:

If I were cruising solo I would chose a solo cabin vs a double occupancy cabin with a high solo supplement.  

Not I, and I always cruise solo.  Have you seen those solo cabins?  Very limited closet space and no drawer space.  Not for me.  I want a real cabin, thank you very much.

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, ncgolferette said:

As a solo cruiser I thought Celebrity had finally come to their senses regarding solo cruisers.  Guess I was wrong. Now we can’t even pick the cabin we would like.  

This!! I am more than willing to pay for Aqua Class even as a solo. I’ve been spoiled to that and don’t want to cruise Celebrity outside of Aqua. So… 

I didn’t mind my solo cabin on Edge at all. I am just spoiled to Blu now.

Edited by WrittenOnYourHeart

Surprised to hear this. I have sailed with Celebrity 13 times as a solo cruiser, 11 of those times in a regular veranda stateroom, twice in a solo cabin on the Beyond (back when they were a lot cheaper than the regular staterooms) and I have 4 upcoming cruises in regular infinite veranda staterooms. One of those cruises was re-fared earlier this week. I have heard no mention of such a policy change. When I try a mock booking online (Canadian website) I can still select non-solo staterooms (e.g., a Beyond cruise in December). As Spudd mentioned above, perhaps this is only a thing when the particular cruise is down to its last few available staterooms.

• Like 1

It depends on the fare.  I recently did a modified b2b on Virgin (my first on that line).  It was a 14-night TA on Scarlet Lady.  I booked a regular interior cabin.  Then, we sailed 10 nights on Resilient Lady.  I booked a solo interior on that sailing and it was almost as expensive as the regular interior on the TA.  I've done several TAs and know that prices are often lower.  Except for the very small closet space, I rather liked the little solo cabin.  It was cozy.

But, I typically book interior cabins anyway because, as a solo, I'd rather sail 4 times a year in an interior than twice in a balcony.  I absolutely won't pay more for an OV.  I prefer it dark when I'm sleeping.

What I've noticed on some lines is that the solo cabins are all the way forward and that doesn't work for me and my issues with motion.  On the Virgin ships, the solo interiors are not all the way forward, which was good.

Do I want to be forced into a solo cabin?  No, I do not. 

2 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Not I, and I always cruise solo.  Have you seen those solo cabins?  Very limited closet space and no drawer space.  Not for me.  I want a real cabin, thank you very much.

Yes I have seen them!  Your not booking one is your choice and it has no bearing on my willingness to book one if sailing solo.  Thank you very much.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Travel-and-See said:

This definitely isn't a rule, there are Edge Class sailings right now with all cabins available for solo passengers.  Maybe they block them off for certain sailings? 

I'd like to know their reasoning. I had a cruise on Beyond next August I was going to book on board and I have a list of all but about 4 of the Aqua cabins with the bed next to the bathroom (and there were at least as many with the bed next to the IV) so there were A LOT of them available last week), and now the only thing that doesn't show "sold out" for 1 is the solo IVs.

Like I said above, I didn't mind my solo IV on Edge in Feb 2020...but that was before my experience in Aqua Class. And I don't want to sail any other way now. And I don't want to do B2B on Reflection with shorter cruises, so... Yeah. If this absurdity continues, X will have lost me. Not that they'll care since I don't gamble and don't really do specialty restaurants, etc.

There is one cruise I'll book for Feb 2026 on Sillhouette...and I'll politely tell the on board booking agent that there was at least one other cruise I was ready to book, but this relegating solo cruisers to the solo cabins only on Edge class is meaning I won't.

• Like 1