The Fleet Report and Daily for Saturday July 27th, 2024

Today is Black Women's Equal Pay Day, Love Is Kind Day, and National Korean Veterans Armistice Day

I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass. - David Lee Roth

Meal Suggestion for today - Ratatouille with Farro
Drink of the Day - Grasshopper
Wine of the Day - Chaberton Estate Winery 2022 Estate Grown Siegerrebe
Destination of the Day - Warnemunde (Berlin), Germany

Today in History:
1866 First transatlantic telegraph cable comes ashore at Heart's Content, Newfoundland after being laid out 1,686 miles by Isambard Kingdom Brunel's Great Eastern steamship
1921 Frederick Banting and Charles Best isolate insulin at the University of Toronto
1940 Bugs Bunny's official debut

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Seattle, Washington 07:00 - 16:00

Koningsdam

Vancouver, BC Canada 07:00 - 16:00

Nieuw Amsterdam

At Sea Destination Vancouver, BC Canada eta 07-28

Nieuw Statendam

Isafjord, Iceland 0800-1700

Noordam

At Sea Destination Whittier, Alaska eta 07-28

Oosterdam

Naples, Italy

Rotterdam

Rotterdam, Netherlands South Holland 07:00 - 15:00

Volendam

Boston, Massachusetts 07:00 - 15:00

Westerdam

Victoria BC, Vancouver Island Canada 20:00 - 23:59

Zaandam

Skagway, Alaska 06:30 - 21:00

Zuiderdam

Paamiut, Greenland 10:00 - 20:00

0727World.thumb.png.edd3c41ce1ddf2afa051d4873f8348c1.png

• Like 15
  • Thanks 24

Grasshopper cocktail.:  Used to drink these when I was young.

A Grasshopper is a sweet, mint-flavored, after-dinner drink named for its green color, which comes from crème de menthe. Tujague's, a bar in the French Quarter of New Orleans, Louisiana, claims its owner Philip Guichet invented the drink in 1918. Wikipedia
Ingredients: 1 oz (1 part) Crème de cacao (white), 1 oz (1 part) Crème de menthe (green), 1 oz (1 part) Fresh cream en
Preparation: Pour ingredients into a cocktail shaker with ice. Shake briskly and then strain into a chilled cocktail glass.
Served: Straight up; without ice.
Drinkware: Cocktail glass
IBA specified ingredients†: 3 cl crème de menthe (green); 3 cl crème de cacao (white); 3 cl cream

Screenshot 2024-07-27 at 6.19.51 AM.png

• Like 14
  • Thanks 20

Posted (edited)

Greetings from beautiful Port Charlotte.

It’s 81 right now with a high today of 90 with a chance of afternoon showers.

Good selection of days.

Sort of a silly quote.

Pass on the meal.

Happy Birthday to Bugs Bunny, the best cartoon character of all time.

I will not watch one minute of the Olympic Games after what went on yesterday, that’s all I’ll say on that. 

Off to the diner in a few minutes for my Western Omelette.

Have a great day and stay well.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 25
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Today’s Care List:

Kazu recovering from stents placed for leg/foot pain

Marshhawk’s DH Chuck unable to get stents unclogged, needs surgery

Heat, Fires, flooding and Storms across the US

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza, hostages still held

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Tana with chronic pulmonary issues, weakness, poor appetite

Catmando’s DB Scottie post stroke

Cruzin Terri’s DH Jim with memory and anxiety issues

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Bon Voyage Horizon Chaser 1957 (Laura)!

Happy Birthday superoma (Eva)!

StLouisCruisers’ nephew Alex’s identical twins born 7/23!

Rafinmd’s improved PSA level

RMLincoln’s DH post glaucoma surgery, good eye pressures this week

Dfish’s successful nerve ablation

Cruzin Terri’s arm feeling better

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

Horizon Chaser 1957 (Volendam to Aug 20) 24d Canada, NE, Iceland, Cunnorl (Zuiderdam to Aug 24) 35d Voyage of the Vikings, St Pete Cruiser (Zuiderdam to Aug 24) 35d Voyage of the Vikings and Norseh2o (Oceania Marina to Aug 29) 44d Epic Northern Adventure London to London, celebrating 50th anniversary

• Like 17
  • Thanks 22

Good morning friends!  I’ve finished my morning workout and have plans to do a few chores today.  One is to refresh my mailbox and bistro table and chairs.  Seems like it wasn’t that long ago I did the mailbox, but then we had the house power washed and good old Cody got cleaning fluid spray all over it when he parked right next to it.  Hoping it looks a lot better tonight.  We have to wait for the mail delivery, then remove it and do the job inside the garage where it will stay until Monday.  Weather today is 71 again, high will be 86 with cloudy skies but no mention of rain until tomorrow.  I will say that everything is extremely green around here.  Which reminds me, yesterday I looked out the front windows and saw a deer standing among the shrubs.  When I moved to a closer window I saw a second one, a fawn, eating the tender green new-growth leaves on the holly bushes.  We shooed them off.  I’ve never seen them out in broad daylight eating the shrubbery before. 

Thanks Rich @richwmn for today's Daily and Fleet Report as well as the location maps.  It looks like Zuiderdam is doing scenic cruising around Nanortalik today instead of visiting Paamiut.  It's a shame all these Greenland ports have to be missed this season so far.  However I hope everyone enjoys the scenic cruising; we did it during the June 8-29 segment of our cruise and it was pretty nice.  Thanks for all the discussion points today Rich and thanks to Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope and Ann @cat shepard for your F&B reports.

Prayers for our Care list group and we hope all will show improvement very soon.  Prayers too for my DB, twin sister, the people of Israel and Ukraine, the remaining hostages, and our military members in harm's way.  Three cheers to all celebrating special events and enjoying their cruises!🥳  Thank you Vanessa @JazzyV for your lists today!

The port today is Warnemunde (Berlin), Germany.  This was the port of the day once before on Aug. 6, 2022 so I will post the link.  I hadn't been there before at the 2022 posting, but was just there May 29, 2024 while on the Baltic segment of our cruise.  I have some photos of what we did that day to show you.  Here's the link.

Have a great day everyone!  Stay safe and keep well!

• Like 25
  • Thanks 7

For those that are interested. I was looking at my account on the HAL site last night and noticed that pdf files of final statements are now available (at least mine are) back to 2008. It is interesting to see prices back then

• Like 19
  • Thanks 17

Good Morning from a foggy day on the Zuiderdam

We are having a sea day today instead of Paamuit. Too much ice and bad conditions for tendering.

We had the lido fun fair last night. There were fair like games fun food - cotton candy, fried dough , sliders, corn dogs etc. you won tickets which went into the drawing. Then they drew the tickets for prizes. It was a lot of fun!

@superoma  a very Happy Birthday to you! May you enjoy many more! 
      Picture below of what we are passing now. 
   Stay safe and enjoy today

Charlene 

IMG_0075.jpeg

• Like 28
  • Thanks 5

Thank you for today's daily reports.

It is sunny and 62°F here at 11.50am.

3 important days today.

Laughable quote.

Today's food and drink don't appeal to me.

Never been to today's port.

I hope everyone is safe and feeling well and y'all have a wonderful day and weekend.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Warnemunde (Berlin), Germany

I finally got to Warnemunde on May 29, 2024 on our Zuiderdam Baltic cruise.  We had missed it before due to bad weather years ago.  Zuiderdam docked at the Warnemunde cruise terminal and many passengers got on a train to Berlin for a long day of touring.  We walked over to a boat not far away and took a tour which included a river cruise, a visit to the Hanseatic city of Rostock and a visit to a microbrewery. 

Off to the boat for our river cruise.

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhG

Leaving Zuiderdam in our wake!

At first I sat inside where it was comfortably warm but I wanted to take photos so moved to the top deck. I sat at a table with the parents of one of the bridge officers.  They were from Cornwall and just delightful company.  It was freezing up there!

Lots of interesting things to see along the way including this ship being built.

We arrived in the nearby town of Rostock

We got on a bus that drove us nearer to the downtown area.  First place we walked to was the University of Rostock.  Our guide was an alumnus of that University.

Nearby was a famous fountain in University Square which was our meeting place after 30 minutes of free time. The fountain’s name is Fountain of Joy of Life, but due to the nude figures placed there it is known locally as the      p o r n    fountain.  The architecture was pretty cool there in Rostock.

Then our guide walked us over to St. Marien Church (St. Mary's), a very large cathedral (built in 1230) known for its interior and 15th century astrological clock.

Inside, a ghoulish tomb area

The amazing pipe organ

The amazing clock

The dial showing date and time

And this explains how to read it  We were there at noon to watch the figures or glockenspiel perform.  ??

Walking back to the bus so we could have a drink at the microbrewery, located near the Warnow River named Braugasthaus Zum Alten Fritz.

It was located in this building.  DH and the gentleman from Cornwall had a mug of beer while the wife and I had a diet coke.  All of us quickly devoured the large soft pretzels they passed around.

At the end of our visit we boarded our bus and rode back to the ship in Warnemunde.  If it wasn’t so cold on that upper deck on the river cruise boat, it would have been a perfect day!  But there were problems with the Berlin tour groups.  Their train ran into a tree on the tracks and they were delayed hours getting back to the ship.  I’m sure they were a very tired group eating dinner at the Lido Marketplace at midnight.

Edited by StLouisCruisers
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 12

2 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Warnemunde (Berlin), Germany

I finally got to Warnemunde on May 29, 2024 on our Zuiderdam Baltic cruise.  We had missed it before due to bad weather years ago.  Zuiderdam docked at the Warnemunde cruise terminal and many passengers got on a train to Berlin for a long day of touring.  We walked over to a boat not far away and took a tour which included a river cruise, a visit to the Hanseatic city of Rostock and a visit to a microbrewery. 

Off to the boat for our river cruise.

Leaving Zuiderdam in our wake!

At first I sat inside where it was comfortably warm but I wanted to take photos so moved to the top deck. I sat at a table with the parents of one of the bridge officers.  They were from Cornwall and just delightful company.  It was freezing up there!

Lots of interesting things to see along the way including this ship being built.

We arrived in the nearby town of Rostock

We got on a bus that drove us nearer to the downtown area.  First place we walked to was the University of Rostock.  Our guide was an alumnus of that University.

Nearby was a famous fountain in University Square which was our meeting place after 30 minutes of free time. The fountain’s name is Fountain of Joy of Life, but due to the nude figures placed there it is known locally as the p o r n fountain.  The architecture was pretty cool there in Rostock.

Then our guide walked us over to St. Marien Church (St. Mary's), a very large cathedral (built in 1230) known for its interior and 15th century astrological clock.

Inside, a ghoulish tomb area

The amazing pipe organ

The amazing clock

The dial showing date and time

And this explains how to read it  We were there at noon to watch the figures or glockenspiel perform.  ??

Walking back to the bus so we could have a drink at the microbrewery, located near the Warnow River named Braugasthaus Zum Alten Fritz.

It was located in this building.  DH and the gentleman from Cornwall had a mug of beer while the wife and I had a diet coke.  All of us quickly devoured the large soft pretzels they passed around.

At the end of our visit we boarded our bus and rode back to the ship in Warnemunde.  If it wasn’t so cold on that upper deck on the river cruise boat, it would have been a perfect day!  But there were problems with the Berlin tour groups.  Their train ran into a tree on the tracks and they were delayed hours getting back to the ship.  I’m sure they were a very tired group eating dinner at the Lido Marketplace at midnight.

Super photos Sandi.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Rich, Vanessa, Debbie, Ann, and Dixie for the FR&D    I like all 3 of today’s days..    Special prayers for  Terri, Katherine’s friend, Sandi’s brother, Scottie,  Chuck, Bonnie and Tana with  Annie and Chuck at the top of the list.  Happy Birthday Eva.  Bon Voyage Lena.

Funny quote by Roth.

I visited Warnemunde on the Prinsendam in 2015

Three great but diverse days in  history...

The meal sounds interesting..  My alternative is Fruit Palette, Chilled Three Berry Ministrone, and Thai-Style Grilled Chicken, as served on MS Prinsendam July 27, 2011..

Church mens group meeting on zoom this morning and fire house this afternoon..

Roy

• Like 28
  • Thanks 3

Good morning, everyone!

It is going to be another beautiful day here in mid-Michigan with sunny skies and a high in the mid 80s.  They have adult swim at the outdoor pool this morning so I will head over there to do my water exercise routine.  I'm glad I have that option.  

@superoma Eva

HappyBirthday3.jpg.763163a541b2c69f21ebc4d87b1c6d4c.jpg

Bon Voyage to @Horizon chaser 1957 I hope your cruise on the Volendam is the best!

I love ratatouille and have made it for years.  Sue won't eat it because it has eggplant so it is all mine!  I would leave out the farro though due to the carb count.  Ratatouille with Farro

ratatouillewithfarro1.thumb.jpg.a793b11e60c8c12d81d5c2153c44b856.jpg

This ratatouille has a large dice to the veggies.  What a colorful dish it makes!   Ratatouille

ratatouillewithfarro2.thumb.jpg.911b161a45da001fa61108ebef0917b2.jpg

This one is missing directions, but I'm sure most of us can figure them out.  It includes feta cheese and eggs for protein, so makes a complete meal.  Summer Ratatouille

ratatouillewithfarro3.jpg.8c61428785f9f69062b5e0f0633c6542.jpg

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

• Like 18
  • Thanks 17

Good cool and sunny morning. It’s going to be a beautiful day.

Yesterday on the news, it was announced that the Moravian settlement area of Bethlehem Pa has been designated a UNESCO World Heritage Site after many years of trying for it. 
This is a big deal for tourism in the area. 
  Blessings and prayers to all on our journey.

• Like 31
  • Thanks 2

Merci Beaucoup for the Dailys!!  And good morning Dailyites!!!

YES, Equal Pay for Black women and all women and people!!  Love is Kind represents that, too!!  It result is what should be paid -- and everyone gets the same amount for the work done!  

Silly and fun quote!!  I always have a lid on my drinks and use a straw -- but I LOVE the excuse!!!

I love Ratatouille (don't know about Farro) and I learned to love Grasshoppers while in college!  I had a boyfriend's mom who made these for us as a dessert!!!  The wine is an unknown to me...  and Berlin...  Yes, I've visited, but not since the Wall has come down!  So I only know West and East Berlin...  Been to both!

Have some fun today!!  Enjoy yourself!!!

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, dfish said:

Good morning, everyone!

It is going to be another beautiful day here in mid-Michigan with sunny skies and a high in the mid 80s.  They have adult swim at the outdoor pool this morning so I will head over there to do my water exercise routine.  I'm glad I have that option.  

@superoma Eva

HappyBirthday3.jpg.763163a541b2c69f21ebc4d87b1c6d4c.jpg

Bon Voyage to @Horizon chaser 1957 I hope your cruise on the Volendam is the best!

I love ratatouille and have made it for years.  Sue won't eat it because it has eggplant so it is all mine!  I would leave out the farro though due to the carb count.  Ratatouille with Farro

ratatouillewithfarro1.thumb.jpg.a793b11e60c8c12d81d5c2153c44b856.jpg

This ratatouille has a large dice to the veggies.  What a colorful dish it makes!   Ratatouille

ratatouillewithfarro2.thumb.jpg.911b161a45da001fa61108ebef0917b2.jpg

This one is missing directions, but I'm sure most of us can figure them out.  It includes feta cheese and eggs for protein, so makes a complete meal.  Summer Ratatouille

ratatouillewithfarro3.jpg.8c61428785f9f69062b5e0f0633c6542.jpg

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

I want the recipe for that Cake, too!!  But the ratatouille sounds delicious!!  All recipes!!!

AND...  Happy Birthday Eva... @superoma

• Like 26

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.

Another cool morning here, only 11C (52F) when Bertie and I went for a walk.  It should warm up to a summery 28C (82F) this afternoon.

Three good days to celebrate.

A very silly quote.

I'll pass on the meal and the drink but hope the wine will be to my liking.

We were in Warnemunde many years ago.

A very good day in medical history.

Prayers for so many.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Have a terrific Saturday.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1