Tracking 91-year-old uncle with medallion?

We leave on Saturday as part of a group of 9, including my 91-year-old uncle. He doesn't have a smart phone but we do. Our booking numbers are all linked. How does tracking work with the medallion?

28 minutes ago, Hamilthorn said:

We leave on Saturday as part of a group of 9, including my 91-year-old uncle. He doesn't have a smart phone but we do. Our booking numbers are all linked. How does tracking work with the medallion?

He just has to give permission on the app for tracking if your booking numbers are linked. You'll be able to see where he is on the ship on your smart phone. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

The easiest way for you to find each other is that many of the wall panel screens on the ship can be logged into with a tap of the Medallion. I'm also a senior so believe me when I tell you that it's pretty intuitive to find cabin mates.  Once you go through it together onboard, should be easy to remember. Then log out.

The smartphone app? Never bothered with using that function because the wall panels are large and easy to read.  We leave phones in the safe and take a vacation. You'll find some people keep their nose in their phones for duration. The locator function is the best of the Medallion class features IMHO.

Edited by mtnesterz
  • Like 2

once one of the employees noticed me wandering around the buffet area & asked me if I needed help.

I said I was looking for my husband. She was immediately able to link to his medallion & said he was in the cabin  !

• Like 1

As long as the individual has their medallion with them they are easy to locate. As mentioned in post #3 once individuals are linked you can just tap your medallion on one of the large screens around the ship. You don't have to carry your phone or use the app.

It's very easy. If you have any difficulty just ask one of the tech crew on board. They have a desk. 

• Like 1

You may need to download and set up an app for your uncle on someone's phone. I believe it defaults to giving permission to locate him to someone in the same cabin, but I don't remember for sure. If anyone in a different cabin needs to find him, then he (or someone else logging on an app as him) will need to give permission.

If you want to exchange locations with someone, you search for their name on your app after you are onboard. Then a request shows up on his app. You can only locate him if he (or someone logged on as him) approves the request. To simplify matters onboard, I recommend you download the app onto a cell phone and set up his login pre-cruise. The only thing you will need to do with his app onboard is to approve the location sharing requests from the rest of your party. Then you can put the phone in the safe - or let someone else use it with their app logon.

• Like 1

Sorry for being so pedantic, but keep in mind that your ability to track someone is somewhat dependent on exactly where they are and and how they move around the ship. You probably won't have any issue with a 91 year young person (LOVE that they are cruising at that age BTW ;o), but two things come into play: 1) if they are mobile and not sedentary, you are tracking a moving target who could be gone by the time you reach their last reported position and 2) the tracking is not absolutely real-time, it takes time for the system to refresh and display their position.  On the Emerald just last week, I kept track of SWMBO as she move around the ship on one of her shopping expeditions. Her exact position was sometimes a few minutes off what was portrayed on the app and had I needed to locate her EXACT position, it could have been challenging. Still, the system does work and as others have said you should be able to track your uncle just fine. Just be prepared to look around a bit ;o)

• Like 1

On 7/30/2024 at 3:23 PM, Hamilthorn said:

Are you afraid he will wander off or get lost?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, lx200gps said:

1) if they are mobile and not sedentary, you are tracking a moving target who could be gone by the time you reach their last reported position and 2) the tracking is not absolutely real-time, it takes time for the system to refresh and display their position.  On the Emerald just last week

it worked better than this on Enchanted. We were able to track my 76 yo dad pretty well at all times and in real time. Not without a few small glitches over 7 days, but 95% of the time it worked great.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Kay S said:

Are you afraid he will wander off or get lost?

He will likely get lost. He's used to taking long walks and is prone to falling. This is cruise #50-something for him and likely his last. The previous cruise he took was on his own a year ago and he had a difficult time. He misses his wife (my aunt, passed away several years ago now) terribly. We are coming together to give him this experience with family and want to do everything we can to make it a good one!

Thank you to everyone for weighing in, very helpful!

• Like 2

My husband is almost 90 and technically challenged.

He felt very safe because he knew I could locate him.  I told him that if he wanted to find me...just give his phone (or medallion) to any worker....and they'd be able to locate me.

• Like 2

Cabin mates are automatically connected. If he is in a different cabin, you will need to “invite” and he needs to accept, in order for you to track him.  I am not sure this is possible if he doesn’t have the app.

I guess you could sign him in on your device, accept, and sign his off.  

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Hamilthorn said:

He's used to taking long walks and is prone to falling.

This can be very dangerous on a moving ship.

We are on the younger side, and in shape, and sometimes rough seas can be a challenge. 

Hope you have a smooth itinerary. If you are doing inside passage on a smaller vessel, you should be fine. It's the ships that take the route west of Vancouver Island where it can be really rough. 

Edited by startedwithamouse
  • Like 1

On 7/31/2024 at 4:36 AM, skynight said:

As long as the individual has their medallion with them they are easy to locate. As mentioned in post #3 once individuals are linked you can just tap your medallion on one of the large screens around the ship. You don't have to carry your phone or use the app.

It's very easy. If you have any difficulty just ask one of the tech crew on board. They have a desk. 

This is good advice. 

I used my app in the early days of Medallion to help find my

elderly mom onboard. (she has very good mobility, but not mentally)

Long story short, I didn't tell her about the Medallion location on app, for fear she

would have it turned off, and then I would be lost locating her. 

She Needed supervision and the Medallion location is what helped

keep my sanity on that voyage. 

• Like 1

On 8/1/2024 at 8:17 AM, cr8tiv1 said:

I guess you could sign him in on your device, accept, and sign his off.  

My husband is "technically challenged" 🙂. This is exactly what I did so the friends we were travelling with could find him.

• Like 2