Question how the 4 drinks for Diamonds work re card

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, mariocha said:

Hi, can we used them for a glass of wine?

To be clear they can be used for any beverage that can be purchased on board.  They can also be applied as a discount on purchased bottles of wine @ 20% off bottles of wine over $100, and 40% off bottles of wine under $100, with one voucher applied per bottle purchased.

The per drink $ ceiling indicated by @Another_Critic at $14 correct for US sailings, but in practice we've never had a requested single purchase beverage refused.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, The Fun Researcher said:

Also (and this is just us, not starting a tipping thread) but I always hand a dollar bill with my SeaPass card when ordering each Diamond drink. 

With full recognition and agreement of not wanting to start at tipping thread, I just want to acknowledge we do the same thing as a gratuity as while the beverages may be free to us, the bartenders are still serving them.  

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

I love the daily 4-drink Diamond perk--it's one of the main reasons I stick with RCI.  It may sound lke a minor thrill, but we love it.

Teddie

Edited by teddie
  • Like 8

40 minutes ago, The Fun Researcher said:

Don't forget you can share your drink vouchers.  It's not like the drink package where you aren't allowed to share.  We share with other adult cruisers we are sailing with all the time.

To understand the specifics in practice - when you mention sharing the vouchers, is this the person with the benefit ordering for the person (or standing with them and handing over the card), or is there some virtual transfer of the benefit to the other person?

As a made-up use case for clarity, let's say you want to share a voucher with someone but you're off the ship at a port and they stayed on the ship, is there a way for them to use the voucher?

Thanks.

5 minutes ago, dragontrainer said:

To understand the specifics in practice - when you mention sharing the vouchers, is this the person with the benefit ordering for the person (or standing with them and handing over the card), or is there some virtual transfer of the benefit to the other person?

As a made-up use case for clarity, let's say you want to share a voucher with someone but you're off the ship at a port and they stayed on the ship, is there a way for them to use the voucher?

Thanks.

Good question.  It's the physical act of ordering the drink with your SeaPass card and personally handing the other individual the drink.

There is no way, as far as I'm aware, to move vouchers between SeaPass cards.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, dragontrainer said:

Thanks.

In practice IMO it would be more subtle.  Passenger "A" uses his card with a voucher to purchase a given beverage, which is then handed to Passenger "B" for consumption.  It is merely one ordering a beverage by way of a voucher for another.

As to someone else using someone else's voucher, the answer is no, as the a person's SeaPass card on which the vouchers are loaded is what is used to order the beverage. If someone is off the ship or in a different location they would have their SeaPass card with them.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The free drink vouchers are a great benefit along with a free day of internet . 

Keeps me coming back to RC . 🙂

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, dragontrainer said:

Thanks.

You can't virtually transfer them, so you would have to buy them something before you left the ship.  I use my vouchers to buy drinks for myself and my DH all the time, so that he has his on his card to use when I am not with him.  We each just order our drink and I give the waiter my card and tell them to use two of my vouchers.  Easy peasy.  At the end of the day, if I have leftover vouchers on my card, I stop at a bar and get beer for the refrigerator in the cabin.  I just tell the bartender that I think I have X amount of vouchers left and would like X amount of unopened Bud Lights.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Cruise5life said:

I’m excited to be diamond after my next cruise that’s in 5 days.    

and I get to use it 55 days on my 15 day tp to japan.   That’s 56 drinks. Lolol.   
I don’t drink that much anymore.  Haven’t had a drink in months.    
will be nice to have some tequila every now and then.  And a bottle of water if I need.     

are there any other drinks I could get?    

GooomBay Smash, but dont ask me whats in it! 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, jimdalva said:

GooomBay Smash, but dont ask me whats in it! 

56 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

I believe it includes spiced rum, coconut rum, apricot brandy, pineapple juice, and orange juice.😉

Close

17 hours ago, Cruise5life said:

I’m excited to be diamond after my next cruise that’s in 5 days.    

and I get to use it 55 days on my 15 day tp to japan.   That’s 56 drinks. Lolol.   
I don’t drink that much anymore.  Haven’t had a drink in months.    
will be nice to have some tequila every now and then.  And a bottle of water if I need.     

are there any other drinks I could get?    

You will receive 4 vouchers for every day you are on the ship, including embarkation day and debarkation day. That means for a 15-day cruise, you will receive 60 vouchers, not 56.

4 hours ago, Wineaux007 said:

On Anthem TA last April, you could get a bottle of wine with 4 vouchers - evidently they consider 4 drinks per bottle.

Never recall just 4  - that is a huge benefit  

At the  return to sailing, when the  vouchers started, some ships  allowed you to use 5 vouchers for a full bottle of wine.  Rarely have we found this to be allowable any more.  It wasn't available on any TA's we've been on since the return or even on  recent Anthem sailings.    You can use one voucher to get some % off a bottle of wine.  

M

Small technical distinction - nothing is loaded onto a sea pass card.  The card merely links to your account.  The account tells the terminal that you have (or don't have) x number of free drinks.  

8 hours ago, gmachar said:

We also share our extra sodas with our room steward or “buy” a drink for the bartender at the end of the night.

We do this, as well. We never use all our allotted number, and we don't use bottled water, so if we have MDR servers and room steward we like, we ask them what they like to drink, and then take that to them, unopened, for end of shift consumption.

1 hour ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Never recall just 4  - that is a huge benefit  

At the  return to sailing, when the  vouchers started, some ships  allowed you to use 5 vouchers for a full bottle of wine.  Rarely have we found this to be allowable any more.  It wasn't available on any TA's we've been on since the return or even on  recent Anthem sailings.    You can use one voucher to get some % off a bottle of wine.  

M

The friends we sailed with did it on two nights on Anthem from Vintages.  

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, Wineaux007 said:

The friends we sailed with did it on two nights on Anthem from Vintages.  

thx - a bit too late.   We spent a  few weeks on board Anthem in June and would have loved to know this.  Some of the wines we wanted were not available by the glass. We  decided not to bother with the 40% off coupon. 

And even stranger, we spent most every night at vintages and never knew about the ability to use vouchers (4 or 5)  for a full bottle.  

Next time I'll ask at a bar. 

M

Edited by cruisegirl1

Quick question on this topic. 

We cruise Sunday and are diamond, so 4 drinks a day. I got the deluxe beverage and my partner did not, but will instead utilize the 8 drinks per day (if needed). 

When I get a drink will they automatically take it from the deluxe package, or will I need to tell them every time, in order to save my 4 for my partner? 

Hoping that makes sense. Thanks in advance.