Passport cards for Princess cruises

My passport is expiring prior to next cruise in January.   From what I have read, we can get passport cards for $30 and it is accepted by all Caribbean countries.   Does anyone know if Princess accepts passport cards?  Thank you.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, yancycruiser said:

My passport is expiring prior to next cruise in January.   From what I have read, we can get passport cards for $30 and it is accepted by all Caribbean countries.   Does anyone know if Princess accepts passport cards?  Thank you.

for comparison, how much is the full passport renewal and how long does it last?

Just to make sure you know, not all Caribbean countries except the cards.  For example Martinique and Guadeloupe do not.  Also, if anything happens and you have to fly home during the trip, passport cards will not allow you to.

• Like 6

Posted (edited)

I think the passport cards are only good to certain countries. And And for arrivals by a Land or Sea Entry.

Corrected

Edited by pathi
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, pathi said:

I think the passport cards are only good for Air travel. And only to certain countries.

Other way around, they are only good for land and sea travel and are not good for air travel at all.

1 minute ago, willyt25 said:

Other way around, they are only good for land and sea travel and are not good for air travel at all.

Fixed 🙂

This is for US citizens:  
I believe you will have to get a certified copy of your birth certificate, as well and you can use the passport card as your givermnet issued ID.  
Just be very careful as not every port in the Caribbean accepts anything less than a passport.  And in case of an emergency, if you need to fly home from one of your ports, you will need a passport card. 

Posted (edited)

Assuming you're sailing on a closed loop itinerary where a passport is not required (as noted on Princess website - such as those including Panama or Martinique or such) - then yeah, a passport card is fine. Same as using DL and BC.  Or just an Enhanced DL..

Obviously, you know about the restriction on flying, etc. 

You do have time to get your passport renewed before January, FWIW..

Edited by reedprincess

29 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

This is for US citizens:  
I believe you will have to get a certified copy of your birth certificate, as well and you can use the passport card as your givermnet issued ID.  
Just be very careful as not every port in the Caribbean accepts anything less than a passport.  And in case of an emergency, if you need to fly home from one of your ports, you will need a passport card. 

This is incorrect. For entry into the US via land or sea, no birth certificate is necessary if you have a passport card. A couple of notes about passport cards. They cannot be used for international air travel. Not all Caribbean countries will accept them as proof of citizenship.

I highly recommend having both a passport card and a passport book. I keep my passport card in my wallet at all times. Living in Western NY, you never know when I might want to hop across the boarder into Canada!

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

You have time. Renew your passport. Don't try to take a shortcut. It's not Princess. It's the countries you are visiting.

If something happens you can't easily fly home.

Edited by skynight
  • Like 10

Just now, skynight said:

You have time. Renew your passport. Don't try to take a shortcut. 

Agree!!!

What's the point of NOT renewing the passport?

It's much easier to re n ew it than to l et it expire and then get another one!!

• Like 4

I second what @skynightsaid. There is time for a new passport, just get a new one. I had to get an emergency passport when I ran out of pages, and that process was surprisingly easy. Luckily I was in able to do this in Dallas and I easily got an appointment in the window allowed before travel. I didn't try from my home state, if you renew now, you should be OK. 

• Like 1

I may be mistaken (I have been known to be on occasion! 😄)... but isn't the only way to get a passport card is *in addition* to a standard passport renewal?  In other words...don't you do the card as an "add-on" to the book renewal?

In my opinion...(worth probably *less* than 2 cents) just go for the passport book.  You *know* you're going to be good with that...the cards are a BIG IF!

36 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

I may be mistaken (I have been known to be on occasion! 😄)... but isn't the only way to get a passport card is *in addition* to a standard passport renewal?  In other words...don't you do the card as an "add-on" to the book renewal?

In my opinion...(worth probably *less* than 2 cents) just go for the passport book.  You *know* you're going to be good with that...the cards are a BIG IF!

Nope. I had a passport card for years before I had a passport. In fact, my original passport card expired this month (I renewed and already have the replacement), but my I didn't get a passport book until 2018, so it doesn't expire until 2028.

2 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

This is incorrect. For entry into the US via land or sea, no birth certificate is necessary if you have a passport card. A couple of notes about passport cards. They cannot be used for international air travel. Not all Caribbean countries will accept them as proof of citizenship.

I highly recommend having both a passport card and a passport book. I keep my passport card in my wallet at all times. Living in Western NY, you never know when I might want to hop across the boarder into Canada!

I stand corrected 

IMG_3669.png

3 hours ago, yancycruiser said:

Thanks to everyone who replied.  I truly appreciate all the information and have decided to renew our passports.

You may consider applying for a Passport Card along with your Passport Renewal. I think there is a small discount when one applies for both at the same time. I use my Passport Card as my main ID (instead of DL) in foreign ports because it also has my Nationality. So if by chance I have any problem in a foreign port, at least I have a proof of my citizenship.

Obviously we are talking about the US. Here in the UK we don't have such a thing. For entering the US we need an ESTA (Does not guarantee entry). Princess cruises rule that passengers must have six months remaining on their passport from the end date of their cruise. UK passports last 10 years and currently cost between £88 and £93 dependent on where purchased. I have just had to renew my wife's passport as when we next cruise her passport was two days short of having six months left on it and due to her ESTA requiring her passport number although she had another year remaining on it I had to renew that also.

• Like 1

It always amazes me on how people pay big $$$ on a cruise and then try to find ways to get around paying for a passport.  EU people seem to not have a problem as most have one but here in the USA people seem to gag on getting one.  Simply get one and factor in the cost of the cruise.  Passports will allow one to travel the world by ship or air.  So get one now. 

• Like 3

On 8/1/2024 at 1:30 PM, yancycruiser said:

It will depend on your itinerary and other factors. Passports are required for cruises visiting Martinique or Guadeloupe for example. Also, if you are the only adult traveling with one or more minors, Princess requires everyone on the party to have a passport.

On 8/1/2024 at 2:44 PM, willyt25 said:

Actually the passport card is good for air travel, domestic US air travel. I use it all the time. I also carry it off the ship as my government ID anywhere in the world. If I lose that not a big deal compared to losing drivers license or passport book. Those are generally left onboard in our safe. 

Global Entry card can work the same way, as it's a government ID.

Passport cards really came in to popularity after 9-11 as ID for people that cross the borders into Canada and Mexico often. Many in Michigan and NY state go to Canada for work and same for Californians with Mexico. 

The card does work for land crossing into the US. Also works for cruise re entries. I don't recall needing my passport off ship for a Caribbean cruise. I did an itinerary that went to Martinique so maybe I did as that's considered France.

Renewal is a budget hit, so timing those are important. Honestly I was fortunate, I lost my passport a week ahead of a business trip where I had planned and was hosting the event, yikes. My company paid for fast replacement and I added the card to the order. Not everyone has that financial support in a pinch, grateful.

• Like 1