Silent disco & headline the band taking over?

bandp407

We have always enjoyed the soloist, or two or three peice ensembles in the Ensemble Lounge on S-class very much to our liking.  We love to relax in those big high back chairs just out side of Michael's Club/Retreat Lounge and listen to the entertainment. 

Here's my issue with Headline the Band.

I have occasionally done Karaoke. I, and I think many, learn songs singing with the radio, records , CD's etc. So you learn the song as originally recorded. I did a sing with the band thing several years ago on a song I knew quite well. The band had their own arrangement and it really threw me off. It wasn't much fun. 

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, sasset said:

I have occasionally done Karaoke. I, and I think many, learn songs singing with the radio, records , CD's etc. So you learn the song as originally recorded. I did a sing with the band thing several years ago on a song I knew quite well. The band had their own arrangement and it really threw me off. It wasn't much fun. 

In our most recent experience Karaoke was facilitated with music track CD's, not a band.  Or am I misunderstanding something?

Edited by leaveitallbehind

5 minutes ago, cw2go said:

I just sailed Solstice, ABBA sing along and Silent Disco were both held in the atrium. 

Patty 

Perhaps something else was taking place in the SOL?  Who knows?  Or maybe that's just where Solstice held it.  But in our experience on "M" and "S" ships it has been in the SOL which is why I referenced that venue.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Perhaps something else was taking place in the SOL?  Who knows?  Or maybe that's just where Solstice held it.  But in our experience on "M" and "S" ships it has been in the SOL which is why I referenced that venue.

I totally understand was just sharing what I experienced last week. 

Patty 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, cw2go said:

I totally understand was just sharing what I experienced last week. 

Patty 

Appreciate that as often different ships do the same thing differently.  Just haven't experienced that.  Always good to hear others' experiences.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, leaveitallbehind said:

In our most recent experience Karaoke was facilitated with music track CD's, not a band.  Or am I misunderstanding something?

Constellation, in March, no Karaoke only singing with the band. Same basic process. Pick a song from about 100, turn in your card and wait to be called.

8 minutes ago, sasset said:

Constellation, in March, no Karaoke only singing with the band. Same basic process. Pick a song from about 100, turn in your card and wait to be called.

Again, different experiences from those we've encountered, but interesting to see how other ships have done it.  Our more recent encounters were on "S" class ships - maybe "M" class is different.

Thanks for the explanation.

The Silent Disco on Equinox last November was in the Grand Foyer. Sing along with the band was in the Sky Lounge. 

I assume they had one or both on Summit from Alaska, but we didn't go.

It was live band "karaoke", not a DJ or recorded music. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sasset said:

That's the joy of live music. Watch almost any live performance where the crowd sings along. They're timing never matches the band. (Personal favorite is "down....in..........Jungleland!", drawn out so the entire crowd gets ahead of it.) Probably easier for some of the pop artists who go out of their way to have the same performance every night.

i grew up in a house where my father was an opener for mr sinatra and several other top notch performers..I asked him for his thoughts on silent disco and karaoke and i can't print what he said..I tend to agree, leave the live music up to the entertainers that are paid to work on the ships and leave the singing in the shower for the rest of us..

• Like 1

18 hours ago, sasset said:

Live band karaoke is my favorite karaoke to watch, mainly because it isn’t easy as you say..

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, retired dude said:

i grew up in a house where my father was an opener for mr sinatra and several other top notch performers..I asked him for his thoughts on silent disco and karaoke and i can't print what he said..I tend to agree, leave the live music up to the entertainers that are paid to work on the ships and leave the singing in the shower for the rest of us..

Could you play on the lawn? 

Seriously, I bet he could tell some stories..

17 hours ago, sasset said:

basically a guest talent show..hope not in lieu of theater shows and live prof music elsewhere.. We enjoyed small groups, solos & jazz combos in Ensemble lounge  and Acoustic & solos etc in Cafe Baccio.. but prof performers not guests..

Nice  Memory....a long time ago on X, .( forgot ship or restaurant name)... we attended a Specilty Dining luncheon..There was a baby grand in the room..in perfect tune.  A fellow guest played a beautiful classical set to the delight of all including staff!  Really elevated the experience.

12 minutes ago, hcat said:

basically a guest talent show..hope not in lieu of theater shows and live prof music elsewhere.. We enjoyed small groups, solos & jazz combos in Ensemble lounge  and Acoustic & solos etc in Cafe Baccio.. but prof performers not guests..

Nice  Memory....a long time ago on X, .( forgot ship or restaurant name)... we attended a Specilty Dining luncheon..There was a baby grand in the room..in perfect tune.  A fellow guest played a beautiful classical set to the delight of all including staff!  Really elevated the experience.

I can't speak to any other ship, but on Equinox it was once, at about 10:00 or 10:30 for the typical 45 minutes (may have actually been less). It was the professional musicians who had been playing the entire cruise and performed without the guests again after their break. It is a few minutes of something different that most guests seemed to enjoy.

• Like 2

Not as bad as I thought from orig thread title and posts!

Actually ,  sounds like a bit of fun for guests and  musicians from the way you  describe it!  I know some guests bring their guitars with them and enjoy jamming at times w band members

We enjoy dancing to a lot of different styles. On our most recent Celebrity cruise, it was difficult to find a band and space that worked. The best area for dancing was taken over by game shows and some pretty awful karaoke and the bands played in area that were also walking through for the persons getting around the ship. The bands played mostly music to listen to rather than for dancing. Silent disco is okay for one time but isn't for people who want to dance as a couple. I have heard a few talented people do karaoke but some is painful. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, markeb said:

I can't speak to any other ship, but on Equinox it was once, at about 10:00 or 10:30 for the typical 45 minutes (may have actually been less). It was the professional musicians who had been playing the entire cruise and performed without the guests again after their break. It is a few minutes of something different that most guests seemed to enjoy.

Agree,..better than trivia or something of the like to me..

Edited by PTC DAWG

3 hours ago, retired dude said:

100% agree

19 hours ago, Liao said:

100% agree

Why? People enjoy it, you maybe not. Loads of things I don’t like that others do but I don’t try to stop them being able to, good on them. You do what you like and let others do the same. I’m no karaoke fan by the way. 

Do they have a "party band"?   What  do they play, where and when?  

I believe, live music runs in cycles..not the same for all ships.