Problems using this site.

Posted (edited)

I keep declining cookies and am asked again at every page I then go into, which makes this site more or less unusable.  Do not know if that is the intention of cc, but a shame if it is as I have used it a lot, but will probably skip it in future if it remains unusable in that way.  Approving ads does not sound like an improvement either, as will probably be bombarded by them.

Are others having the same problem?

Edited by tring

6 minutes ago, tring said:

I keep declining cookies and am asked again at every page I then go into, which makes this site more or less unusable.  Do not know if that is the intention of cc, but a shame if it is as I have used it a lot, but will probably skip it in future if it remains unusable in that way.  Approving ads does not sound like an improvement either, as will probably be bombarded by them.

No problems for me.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, tring said:

Not noticed that problem, yet!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, tring said:

I keep declining cookies and am asked again at every page

If you decline cookies then you will continually be asked to accept them - that is the law (which we all know is stupid!).

18 minutes ago, tring said:

Approving ads

Approving cookies has nothing to do with approving ads (at least not directly) and if ads are a problem then use an ad blocker in your browser.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, tring said:

No issues for me, I have third party cookies blocked in settings "privacy and security" plus use Addblock plus in extensions.  

18 minutes ago, david63 said:

If you decline cookies then you will continually be asked to accept them - that is the law (which we all know is stupid!).

Approving cookies has nothing to do with approving ads (at least not directly) and if ads are a problem then use an ad blocker in your browser.

5 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

No issues for me, I have third party cookies blocked in settings "privacy and security" plus use Addblock plus in extensions. 

David, I have not been asked to accept them again at every new screen though, just when I go back into a website. When asked about cookies it mentions something about ads, I think tailoring them to you, but do not know if that would override an ad blocker.

Phil, we have all that sort of things, but the occasional ad has started appearing on phone.  I will get Allan to look at again, but wondering if I have let something get past, by clicking something I did not mean to click.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tring said:

Yes

• Thanks 1

On my laptop "Nothing"  yet my phone had this annoying data collection crap that 

kept wanting me to accept but I declined .

It kept coming back so I deleted cookies and cache and removed the Homepage shortcut on the phone .

I have re -signed back in made new Homepage shortcut and it seems to have gone away .

Think it must have been an old cookie in the system causing the problem .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, tring said:

Yes, on my iPad. 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, david63 said:

There is no law the requires you to accept cookies, once you reject it should if, coded properly, record that you have rejected cookies, except for those which are needed to make the site work. If you clear cache and cookies every time you quit the browser the website no longer knows you rejected them, it places a functional cookie on your PC/Tablet/Phone which it looks for at the start which would get deleted.

I have not had the issue on my iPad, which automatically declines third party cookies unless you change that setting, Apple decided some years ago to decline 3 party cookies as party of the quest to improve privacy in their safari browser. 

Edited by Snow Hill

Thank you @Host Hattie for moving this thread to the Need Help Using the Forums? Check Here! forum where it will be on topic!

FYI to all reading this thread:

Perhaps something in the following pinned threads on this forum will be helpful:

Login & Navigating to Roll Call Issues? Clearing your Cruise Critic boards cookie should help!

How to: Learn About Popups on the Boards

If anyone has further questions, please email CC Help Michell, UGC Content Coordinator, at help@cruisecritic.com from your Cruise Critic email address of record. Be sure to mention your user name. This is so your membership can be verified, and reply sent to your Cruise Critic email address of record. Also, please include information such as your device, browser and any screen shots that may be helpful. 

BTW, if your current Cruise Critic email address of record is not correct and needs to be updated before you send your email, here is another pinned thread on this forum: How To: Update your Cruise Critic Email Address

Hope this information will be helpful! 🤞

Host Kat

3 minutes ago, Host Kat said:

Thank you @Host Hattie for moving this thread to the Need Help Using the Forums? Check Here! forum where it will be on topic!

FYI to all reading this thread:

Perhaps something in the following pinned threads on this forum will be helpful:

Login & Navigating to Roll Call Issues? Clearing your Cruise Critic boards cookie should help!

How to: Learn About Popups on the Boards

If anyone has further questions, please email CC Help Michell, UGC Content Coordinator, at help@cruisecritic.com from your Cruise Critic email address of record. Be sure to mention your user name. This is so your membership can be verified, and reply sent to your email address of record. Also, please include information such as your device, browser and any screen shots that may be helpful. 

BTW, if your current Cruise Critic email address of record is not correct and needs to be updated before you send your email, here is another pinned thread on this forum: How To: Update your Cruise Critic Email Address

Hope this information will be helpful! 🤞

Host Kat

Thank you. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, tring said:

Yes. I can make it disappear whilst posting by using 'manage settingd' and putting decline but it re-appears next post. A nnoying and they will lose posters.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, tring said:

Yes, on iPad, the cookie message keeps re popping up and obliterating screen 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Funboy said:

Yes. I can make it disappear whilst posting by using 'manage settingd' and putting decline but it re-appears next post. A nnoying and they will lose posters.

1 hour ago, Goosebear Mum said:

Yes, on iPad, the cookie message keeps re popping up and obliterating screen 

Yes that is what is happening to me.  I can still see part of the screen above the message, but on phone everything becomes greyed out, so will not respond if I try to scroll or type.  CC should really sort this, it has only started happening the last few days.  Not happening with anything else, so my theory is that it is CC rather than my phone and the same is happening on our desktop, but things do not tend to get greyed out there.

Edited by tring
  • Like 2

Yes, it's appearing despite accepting initially.  I move between P&O and Cunard boards and it's back all the time.  Tried clearing cookies - my Norton is set to automatically clear every night - P&O site once ticked can move between topics without interruption but move to Cunard it's back again and in every page.

I cannot stop it and I may stop using the site if this continues.

• Like 4

I work on a win11 laptop  and cannot stop this.

I have written to Laura at community to ask why it has suddenly started to happen.

( before I read this)

Is it the CC website or is it my browser -Opera.

Will update  when I get a reply.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Aulanis said:

I dont get any pop up  "we value your privacy"  if I log in to 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com.au/topic/3022540-problems-using-this-site/#comment-67757218

the Aussie site .    

That seems pretty conclusive that there is something wrong with the site to me.  I tried logging into your link, but the link would not open for me.