Tips and gratuities and drinks packages on Princess cruises

First time poster and first time Princess cruiser so I was just wondering what the protocol is with the tips and gratuities scenario on Princess cruises.

Always been with P & O in the past and they let you tip whoever you want based on the level of service etc. so any guidance would be helpful.

Also, are the drinks packages worth it? We aren't big drinkers but some friends of ours said we might be better getting one but do you just buy one package which covers the drinks for both of you or do you have to purchase one package each? The website is not very clear about this.

Again, any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

I find the website very clear at answering your questions, start here

https://www.princess.com/en-uk/faq

Princess is an American line P& O is British, their stance on tips and gratuities is different. 

There is a daily gratuity charge for each person.  

Drinks packages, financially are a No.  However, their fare options (upgrades) to either Plus or Premium are well worth it to me.  The packages are detailed on the Princess site and also the app once you have booked and downloaded it. 
No sharing of packages allowed, same rules as P&O in that regard, first two passengers in stateroom must buy. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Yorkshire Lad 2 said:

First time poster and first time Princess cruiser so I was just wondering what the protocol is with the tips and gratuities scenario on Princess cruises.

Always been with P & O in the past and they let you tip whoever you want based on the level of service etc. so any guidance would be helpful.

Also, are the drinks packages worth it? We aren't big drinkers but some friends of ours said we might be better getting one but do you just buy one package which covers the drinks for both of you or do you have to purchase one package each? The website is not very clear about this.

Thanks

The plus cruise package includes 15 alcoholic drinks per person per day, unlimited non alcoholic drinks, one device WiFi, Crew Appreciation which are pooled tips (you may want to tip some individuals also, it includes 2 casual meals per cruise or cruise leg some extra desserts and gym classes but basically we get it for drinks, WiFi and gratuities. It must be purchased for the first 2 in a stateroom    3-4 drinks per day per person usually makes it a no brainer if you don’t drink alcohol than maybe not a good deal

Posted (edited)

Hi - another Brit here.

For tips and gratuities: these are optional, but recommended. There's an automatic gratuity that's added to all bookings. You can pay in advance, it's part of the packages, or it's billed at the end of the cruise to your on board account. Most people here (including me) leave it, but it is possible to remove if you like. Whether you pay it or remove, it's of course possible to tip in cash anyone you like. That's a very personal decision and always one that generates strong debate! Personally, we leave the automatic gratuity on and very rarely tip beyond that.

Re drink package: it's definitely one per person and everyone in the stateroom has to have the same package. No one person with it buying someone else a drink. If you are a very light drinker, it probably isn't worth it. But if you like a few drinks a day, and want the WiFi and standard gratitude, do look at the package. May well be worth jt. Note if you 'pay as you go' for drinks menu prices subject to a compulsory service fee circa. 18%.

Edited by Leo37
  • Like 2

Princess has Fare packages and Beverage packages. The Plus Fare package is $60/day/person and covers crew appreciation ($16-$18 depending on cabin type), WIFI ($25), all beverages up to $15 each and a number of other benefits. The crew appreciaiton and WIFI account for $41-$43 of the $60 so you have less than $20/day for everything else. It is not hard to recoup that $20. Two alcoholic beverages or a combination of sodas, bottled waters and speciatly coffees and you are there. The down side is that you do have to purchase the same Fare package for the first 2 in a cabin. If you don't want that the beverage packages can be purchased for 1 person. The "beverages only" Plus package is $64.99/person/day & 18% service charge - almost $77 and all you get is beverages. 

In order to get either the plus or premiere packages, the first two people in the booking must get the identical package.  Plus is $60 a day and Premier is $90.  Plus package includes up to 15 alcoholics drinks per day wine- beer, alcoholic.  No limit to coffee (specialty coffees, bottled water, canned soda, tips, wi-fi (one device per package), 2 casual dining meals (pizzeria, Irish Pub, Sushi, 2 specialty desserts, per day, 2 fitness classes per day, free Medallion shipping (not sure but I don't think this applies to UK cruisers), juice bar, complimentary ocean now delivery (think room service).  

If you want wi-fi, tips prepaid, alcohol, specialty coffee, water this is for you.  Most alcoholic drinks are between 12 and 15 dollars which does not includes automatic 18% gratuity. Specialty coffees run around 4 or 5 dollars and 18% gratuity.  Bottled water is 2 to 3 dollars.  One device wi-fi 25 a day (if elite this is reduced by 1/2. 

So, if you like to have 3 or more drinks a day this may be for you.  I know that others will disagree with me but I like the plus package.  Takes all the worry out of a large bill at the end of the cruise.  You can, if you want, go to guest services and have the tips removed from your bill.  You are billed daily for each person in the cabin.  $18 for full suites, $17 for mini-suites, and $16 for all other cabins.   

For me, the break-even point is two alcoholic drinks per day under Plus with a couple of bottles of sparkling water. If you're someone who wouldn't want to pay for the internet, you'd need to drink more to make it worthwhile. Someone who enjoys cappuccinos or other espresso-based drinks could find it worthwhile even without any alcoholic drinks.

• Like 2

Here is some information on the plus and premier fares.

Plus fare. The most important inclusions are, unlimited non alcoholic beverages, crew appreciation (gratuities), wifi internet, alcoholic beverage package which includes drinks menu priced up to $15, 15 drinks/day. For drinks over $15 you are charged the difference + 18%. Most standard cocktails are under $15. Some wines are under $15. Better wines are closer to the $20 range. The premier package includes alcoholic beverages up to $20 and a lot more. This package has just changed to basically be unlimited alcoholic beverages. plus lots of other stuff.

For me the break even point for the plus package is 3 alcoholic beverages/day. I can't comment on the premier package.

There is a stand alone beverage package, but from what I have calculated it isn't cost effective.

with the plus and premier fares the first two passengers in the cabin must purchase.

The stand alone beverage package can be purchased by an individual passenger.

In all cases beverages packages as well as the additional benefits for the plus/premier fares can not be shared. 

I have a spreadsheet. Since I will take advantage of the fitness classes and use OceanNow, our breakeven point is $15 pp a day. So 1 alcoholic drink or mocktail and a bottle of water or a soda. No brainer to get Plus for us!

Now, I like Arnold Palmers so the free lemonade and ice tea plus carrying around a water bottle for free water would work for me. I could have a cocktail and just pay for it and never use OceanNow or Room service and then Plus makes less sense.

But that's not how I want to spend my vacation. I want to be able to grab two bottles of water on the way to an excursion, maybe have two alcoholic drinks some days, maybe a diet coke by the pool, and have people deliver food and drinks to me wherever I am on the ship including our room. And that means Plus makes our vacation better *and* saves us money.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, MacMadame said:

I have a spreadsheet. Since I will take advantage of the fitness classes and use OceanNow, our breakeven point is $15 pp a day. So 1 alcoholic drink or mocktail and a bottle of water or a soda. No brainer to get Plus for us!

Now, I like Arnold Palmers so the free lemonade and ice tea plus carrying around a water bottle for free water would work for me. I could have a cocktail and just pay for it and never use OceanNow or Room service and then Plus makes less sense.

But that's not how I want to spend my vacation. I want to be able to grab two bottles of water on the way to an excursion, maybe have two alcoholic drinks some days, maybe a diet coke by the pool, and have people deliver food and drinks to me wherever I am on the ship including our room. And that means Plus makes our vacation better *and* saves us money.

This is exactly why I got it and I do not drink, It still only takes one, maybe two mocktails or a few sparkling waters and sodas to break even. I'm doing that easily every day. 

On 8/19/2024 at 5:27 PM, Yorkshire Lad 2 said:

Thanks

Don't like to argue with you. But P&O also have a daily onboard charge for gratuities. The only way you can get around this is to go to the reception desk and tell them you don't want to pay gratuities that way. You can also reduce the amount that P&O set. You can of course tip individual staff as you wish. Just as you can if you take out a Plus or Premier Package with Princess. The Princess Packages have set amounts per day based on your grade of cabin.

1 hour ago, Cruisemeister2002 said:

Don't like to argue with you. But P&O also have a daily onboard charge for gratuities. The only way you can get around this is to go to the reception desk and tell them you don't want to pay gratuities that way. You can also reduce the amount that P&O set. You can of course tip individual staff as you wish. Just as you can if you take out a Plus or Premier Package with Princess. The Princess Packages have set amounts per day based on your grade of cabin.

According to P&O: "Tipping isn't needed on our ships so you can relax knowing good service and good times are all part and parcel of your P&O Cruises holiday."

It certainly makes it much easier to know all is covered. Of course we know it is really included in the price - I wish other cruise lines would do this too. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, laslomas said:

I wish other cruise lines would do this too. 

I have not checked the accuracy of all these, as example, MSC is listed, but elsewhere noted while they do not request tips, there is a non-removable service charge. Anyway, this is the list of 10 pulled from another site, but on personal knowledge I'd add Seabourn:

"Gratuities are included on cruises with Azamara, Celestyal, Crystal Cruises, Marella, MSC, P&O, Regent Seven Seas, Saga, Silversea, and Virgin Voyages."

Edited by mtnesterz

So, having looked at the Plus package for the 2 of us, this would be just over £800.00 for the eight days and the gratuities charge per person would amount to approx. £197.00 for the 2 of us giving a rough total, dependant on the actual exchange rate of just short of £1000.00!!!.

Not bothered about the WiFi as we would just use our own data when in port and  can't see us consuming anywhere near that value of drinks.

Think we will just pay as we go to be honest and get the tips deducted from the onboard account and then just tip the people we want to at the end.

• Like 1

Just been looking at a couple of Princess Cruises.I am a bit confused by what is referred to as 'casual' dining in the Plus and Premium package. Can someone clarify that, does it mean access to what I would call Lido dining, probably a different name on Princess.

We are looking at a longer cruise than our normal, so also notice premium desserts are limited to 2 per day with plus, but does that mean you don't get any premium desserts if you go for the basic cruise price. I want the choice to have a few nice desserts on the cruise, not spotted dick, or sticky toffee pud.

And finally, the fitness classes seem to be limited to 2 per cruise on the plus package, but as it is a loger cruise with a quite a few seadays it might be good to try a few, not just 2. Appreciate any further info before booking. Sweby

28 minutes ago, sweby said:

Just been looking at a couple of Princess Cruises.I am a bit confused by what is referred to as 'casual' dining in the Plus and Premium package. Can someone clarify that, does it mean access to what I would call Lido dining, probably a different name on Princess.

We are looking at a longer cruise than our normal, so also notice premium desserts are limited to 2 per day with plus, but does that mean you don't get any premium desserts if you go for the basic cruise price. I want the choice to have a few nice desserts on the cruise, not spotted dick, or sticky toffee pud.

And finally, the fitness classes seem to be limited to 2 per cruise on the plus package, but as it is a longer cruise with a quite a few sea days it might be good to try a few, not just 2. Appreciate any further info before booking. Sweby

Casual Dining venues vary by ship. For example, Alfredo's, Salty Dog Gastro Pub just to name two of the many. There is a charge for these, $14.99 + 18% if you do not have the plus/premier fare. They are 3 course casual meals.

Lido deck dining, which includes the burger grill, slice pizza, soft ice cream, extensive buffet are all no charge. Food at the International Cafe is also no charge. There are also many no charge food items that can be ordered by room service or Ocean Now, the phone app.  Check out this dining flyer

https://www.princess.com/content/dam/princess/corporate/pdfs/restaurants-dining-venues-on-board.pdf.coredownload.inline.pdf

Special desserts are gopy ice cream sundaes with all kinds of candy toppings, and some really big layer cakes. On the ship I was on the sundaes were available at Coffee & Cones on the Lido deck. I saw the cakes displayed at the International Cafe. If you are like most of us you may try one or two of these desserts during the cruise. Two/day, unlikely or should I say very unlikely.

All the regular cakes, ice cream and other desserts are available as normal in the DRs and at the buffet.

If you wish to take fitness classes there is a charge. With the plus fare two are included.  There is no charge to just use the fitness center, like treadmills, weights and so on. There may also be morning sea day Zumba like sessions in one of the lounges or on deck. These are no charge, just show up.

Post 19. You can not adjust the daily gratuity if you have the plus or premier fare. It is included in the cost. 

On 8/21/2024 at 8:06 PM, Yorkshire Lad 2 said:

So, having looked at the Plus package for the 2 of us, this would be just over £800.00 for the eight days and the gratuities charge per person would amount to approx. £197.00 for the 2 of us giving a rough total, dependant on the actual exchange rate of just short of £1000.00!!!.

Not bothered about the WiFi as we would just use our own data when in port and  can't see us consuming anywhere near that value of drinks.

Think we will just pay as we go to be honest and get the tips deducted from the onboard account and then just tip the people we want to at the end.

Hi Yorkshirelad, the gratuities are included in the Plus package along with the Wifi.

Not sure how much you drink but bear in mind that most cocktails, glass of wine etc are $12 plus tax so you don't need many drinks for it to add up. You need to do the maths to see whether or not it works for you.

On 8/21/2024 at 12:06 PM, Yorkshire Lad 2 said:

Many think the daily gratuity goes to the steward and waiters...that is incorrect.

It is split out to laundry workers, cooks, dishwashers and probably many others. If you DIY your tips, you are cutting into the $$ that other unseen workers share.

There's also a rumor (not completely substantiated) that when you zero your gratuities at Guest Services, it's viewed as you are/were unhappy with the provided services.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, skynight said:

Casual Dining venues vary by ship. For example, Alfredo's, Salty Dog Gastro Pub just to name two of the many. There is a charge for these, $14.99 + 18% if you do not have the plus/premier fare. They are 3 course casual meals.

Lido deck dining, which includes the burger grill, slice pizza, soft ice cream, extensive buffet are all no charge. Food at the International Cafe is also no charge. There are also many no charge food items that can be ordered by room service or Ocean Now, the phone app.  Check out this dining flyer

https://www.princess.com/content/dam/princess/corporate/pdfs/restaurants-dining-venues-on-board.pdf.coredownload.inline.pdf

Special desserts are gopy ice cream sundaes with all kinds of candy toppings, and some really big layer cakes. On the ship I was on the sundaes were available at Coffee & Cones on the Lido deck. I saw the cakes displayed at the International Cafe. If you are like most of us you may try one or two of these desserts during the cruise. Two/day, unlikely or should I say very unlikely.

All the regular cakes, ice cream and other desserts are available as normal in the DRs and at the buffet.

If you wish to take fitness classes there is a charge. With the plus fare two are included.  There is no charge to just use the fitness center, like treadmills, weights and so on. There may also be morning sea day Zumba like sessions in one of the lounges or on deck. These are no charge, just show up.

Post 19. You can not adjust the daily gratuity if you have the plus or premier fare. It is included in the cost. 

Many thanks for that it is really helpful.

Princess Sapphire, Alaska, Sept 2024, 7 nights southbound

Updated beverage info:

OK, this is what I found out today. On the website, log in...

On the PACKAGES TAB if you purchase the "Princess Plus Package" for $60pp which includes the $16/day, everyone in the cabin has to buy for 2 people that's $840 total.

If you click on the BEVERAGE TAB the "Plus Beverage Package" is all in $76.69/day and MAY be purchased for a single person and includes soda, coffees, teas, hot chocolate, bottled water, juices, smoothies and cocktails up to $15, limit 15 / day. All in is $536.83. On this tab, you may also order the canned soda $11.80 for 6 cans or week package for $17.69/day or $123.83 for week.

If you go to the EXTRAS TAB, find Wine & Spirits to order the bottles to your room. These are 375 ml (12 oz) Bacardi, Crown, and Skyy, etc for $18 - $25 / bottle.

If you buy from the duty free shop, it will be delivered to your room the last night of the cruise.

You may take as carry on, 1 bottle of wine or 12 cans per person. They request you don't put in your luggage, carry it on. I think we will stick to our carry on allowance.

On 8/21/2024 at 8:29 AM, Cruisemeister2002 said:

You can argue all you want, but you are wrong 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1