Cruising regrets - what are yours?

4 minutes ago, Cruzaholic41 said:

Well, you’re lucky that you haven’t encountered people video recording shows with the bright screens, or those who insist on talking loudly on their phones during dinner, shows, etc, or the constant dings of text messages because people are too dumb to silence their phones. 

I have seen folks video recording during shows.  They shouldn't but it isn't a pearl clutch moment for me.  Other stuff I probably just don't notice.  I am in complete control of what will get me angry, upset, or ruin my day. 

• Like 4

On 9/5/2024 at 6:45 AM, ldubs said:

Huh, I can't think of a time when someone's cell phone caused me any anguish during a cruise, much less changed cruising.  

Nor I. And onshore also. If it's a call we MUST take then we step outside or somewhere private to take the call. I thought that was pretty much the MO these days.

• Like 1

As usual, HB -- you asked a GREAT question! I'm a firm believer in that old saw that, at the end of it all, you will regret the things you DIDN'T do, more that anything you did do. Along that vein, my biggest cruising regret is that I didn't book a cruise to St. Petersburg, or Havana -- back when I had the chance. Between my age and the current political winds, there is probably no possibility of either of those cruise destinations returning, in my lifetime!🥺

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, wwcruisers said:

As usual, HB -- you asked a GREAT question! I'm a firm believer in that old saw that, at the end of it all, you will regret the things you DIDN'T do, more that anything you did do. Along that vein, my biggest cruising regret is that I didn't book a cruise to St. Petersburg, or Havana -- back when I had the chance. Between my age and the current political winds, there is probably no possibility of either of those cruise destinations returning, in my lifetime!🥺

Thank you for your kind words!  I agree with your philosophy that it's the things you don't do that are more regrettable than those that you do do (and don't like).

I've got a good feeling about Havana and Cuba opening up in the next few years.  But that's probably just gas or something. 🙃  I'm less optimistic about St. Petersburg, but I wouldn't underestimate the speed that foreign policy can change.

I hope you can make it to one or the other of those destinations while you're still alive.  I'm rooting for you! 🙏

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Honolulu Blue said:

Thank you for your kind words!  I agree with your philosophy that it's the things you don't do that are more regrettable than those that you do do (and don't like).

I've got a good feeling about Havana and Cuba opening up in the next few years.  But that's probably just gas or something. 🙃  I'm less optimistic about St. Petersburg, but I wouldn't underestimate the speed that foreign policy can change.

I hope you can make it to one or the other of those destinations while you're still alive.  I'm rooting for you! 🙏

Thank you! In the meantime, I do have a long enough 'cruising bucket list' to keep me busy for a while. 😎

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Honolulu Blue said:

We were on a music charter that you are familiar with talking to a couple a few years ago about the time the Ukrainian war was just beginning and she was looking forward to there trip to Moscow , I thought she was crazy. My brother did Cuba with a private tour abo5 years ago.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Honolulu Blue said:

If Cuba does open up as a possible once again cruise destination, I wonder if the various cruise lines would really compete to be the one going there. There would I think definitely be a pent up demand for it as a "new" port.

12 hours ago, wwcruisers said:

I completely agree with your reasoning.  DW and I have been cruising for 15 years.  Fortunately, we did get into St. Petersburg in 2019.  I hope you are able to go at some point, it’s so beautiful.  We were also set to go to Cuba in 2019, but travel there was cancelled a few months before our sail date.  I hope that changes in the future.  Aside from Cuba, my only regret is cancelling an Alaska cruise.  Hopefully, we’ll remedy this in a few years.  

• Thanks 1

On 9/4/2024 at 5:08 PM, ldubs said:

Yes, very good point.  I think you have to go back 20 years (or more) to have experienced that really good food.  

I think that almost everything served in MSCs Yacht Club restaurant is better than almost everything I can get at a restaurant here! On a cruiseship it's also very easy to get something else if you don't like what you get!

I know it isn't Michelin food but it can still taste very good.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, wwcruisers said:

We were booked on a cruise with two days in St. Petersburg that got canceled due to the war in Ukraine. Like you at our age that might not happen ever. We did get to do Israel and even Turkey and they were outstanding. So yes.

• Like 1

There are a couple of cruises that got cancelled due to covid that I am not likely to do because of age limitations.  There are a couple of solo cruises such as a transatlantic sailboat cruise that my wife will not let me do again because I am older and if a medical issue occurred in the middle of the ocean I would probably die.  Other than that I have done most of my "must do" cruises and also some of my really dumb put important to me cruises.

BTW - to comment on what people have said about doing Cuba.  We did a 3 week Cuba land tour a few years back.  It was wonderful and much better than any of the Cuba cruises that I have seen offered.  Some trips are just better when done on a land tour or a DIY land tour.

DON

Edited by donaldsc
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Havent really regretted much so far in my relatively short cruising life.

1) I regret going to Florence this year with a hangover on an coach excursion. That was rough.

I didnt regret getting drunk on the departure day from Rome, just deciding to go on the excursion. Had been to Florence twice before and it doesnt do much for me.

2) I regret walking down the steps from Santorini and not complaining about the cruel and awful treatment of the donkeys.

3) I regret not having more Speciality restaurant meals on my first 3 cruises. Made up for it this year.

4) I regret being powerless to do anything about the poor asylum seekers who's boat sunk in Greek waters last year that Celebrity Beyond was called to assist with, when we were on board.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1