NFL Game on NCL Breakaway

Good Morning Everyone,

I'm a huge Bills fan and we disembark on Sept 29th out of NYC to NE/Canada. However, there is a Bills game that night, the only NFL game at that time (8:20 pm). Is there a bar on the Breakaway I can be assured to be able to watch this game as I enjoy my first ever cruise ?

52 minutes ago, Bobby Winds said:

Good Morning Everyone,

I'm a huge Bills fan and we disembark on Sept 29th out of NYC to NE/Canada. However, there is a Bills game that night, the only NFL game at that time (8:20 pm). Is there a bar on the Breakaway I can be assured to be able to watch this game as I enjoy my first ever cruise ?

If you are embarking (beginning) your cruise on a Sunday, the game should be on the big screen in the lobby and possible on your TV in your cabin.

OH, that would be GREAT because rumor has it they don't really televise NFL football but rather soccer on NCL ships.

BTW you are RIGHT, I should of said embarking (starting our cruise) not disembarking........duh

Edited by Bobby Winds

They have a limited number of channels available at sea, but usually I have seen Monday and sunday night games on in the Whiskey bar at least. Thursday games are now on Prime so probably not. Other Sunday games just depends on what they can tune in. Sometimes a major soccer game or world series game is on instead of American football.

3 hours ago, PelicanBill said:

They have a limited number of channels available at sea, but usually I have seen Monday and sunday night games on in the Whiskey bar at least. Thursday games are now on Prime so probably not. Other Sunday games just depends on what they can tune in. Sometimes a major soccer game or world series game is on instead of American football.

Thanks and GO BILLS ! ! !

I've had some disappointing experiences around football broadcasts on board ship. If the game is only a "local" package broadcast and not featured nationally, it may or may not be available. We boarded in Seattle for one cruise and could actually hear the crowd in the stadium at a Seahawks game, but nope, NOT on the shipboard TVs. Even the onboard staff can't tune games in for you if they are willing to try if it's not part of whatever satellite package NCL uses. Best insurance is to have a mobile app and buy the wifi if you can't miss it or start following the "other" football 🥅

Edited by Shellbelle28

51 minutes ago, Shellbelle28 said:

I've had some disappointing experiences around football broadcasts on board ship. If the game is only a "local" package broadcast and not featured nationally, it may or may not be available. We boarded in Seattle for one cruise and could actually hear the crowd in the stadium at a Seahawks game, but nope, NOT on the shipboard TVs. Even the onboard staff can't tune games in for you if they are willing to try if it's not part of whatever satellite package NCL uses. Best insurance is to have a mobile app and buy the wifi if you can't miss it or start following the "other" football 🥅

Seahawk games (as are many others) are often "blacked out" in their local markets.  Baseball teams too.

16 hours ago, Bobby Winds said:

Good Morning Everyone,

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

If the game is on a screen in a bar, there is often no audio. You can see the game... but not hear it. While I know you're a big Bill's fan, the majority of passengers won't be. 

8 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

If the game is on a screen in a bar, there is often no audio. You can see the game... but not hear it. While I know you're a big Bill's fan, the majority of passengers won't be. 

True, but many will be as I am taking a AAA bus from Buffalo to the terminal with a bus full of Bills fans.  GO BILLS !

We cruise a lot in the fall (October-November) so we’ve had a lot of experience with watching (or not watching, as the case may be) NFL games on Norwegian ships. This is based on our experience;

1) Sunday, there will be an early game and an afternoon game. The early game is a crapshoot; depends on where you are. The afternoon game is usually the nationally televised game on Fox or CBS.

2) you will also see the Sunday night game that’s broadcast now on NBC/Peacock. That may change this year as the broadcast contract was just redone over the summer.

3) we also had the Monday night game available. I know they’ve just redone the broadcasting contract with all the networks so that may also change.

4) we used to see the Thursday night game, but if that’s on prime exclusively now I don’t know how they’re gonna work that. That one will probably not be available, as others have mentioned.

as I mentioned before, the broadcasting contract was just redone over the summer, so all of this may change. In any case, I wish you luck, hope you have a good cruise.

oh, yeah, go Giants!! (hey our head coach is a former Buffalo Bill coach)

13 minutes ago, tomk3212 said:

We cruise a lot in the fall (October-November) so we’ve had a lot of experience with watching (or not watching, as the case may be) NFL games on Norwegian ships. This is based on our experience;

1) Sunday, there will be an early game and an afternoon game. The early game is a crapshoot; depends on where you are. The afternoon game is usually the nationally televised game on Fox or CBS.

2) you will also see the Sunday night game that’s broadcast now on NBC/Peacock. That may change this year as the broadcast contract was just redone over the summer.

3) we also had the Monday night game available. I know they’ve just redone the broadcasting contract with all the networks so that may also change.

4) we used to see the Thursday night game, but if that’s on prime exclusively now I don’t know how they’re gonna work that. That one will probably not be available, as others have mentioned.

as I mentioned before, the broadcasting contract was just redone over the summer, so all of this may change. In any case, I wish you luck, hope you have a good cruise.

oh, yeah, go Giants!! (hey our head coach is a former Buffalo Bill coach)

4) see above, tonight’s Thursday night game is available. 

On 9/4/2024 at 12:51 PM, PelicanBill said:

Bill

Can you email me at BigNCBear at aol dot com please. Would like to ask you a question about a completely different NCL subject. 
TIA

On 9/5/2024 at 11:21 AM, Distinctive-Destinations said:

I’m on the Joy now, and today’s Freestyle Daily mentions tonight’s game.

IMG_2444.jpeg

Thanks - will be on Joy the end of the month and it's good to know they have football available.

On 9/4/2024 at 12:51 PM, PelicanBill said:

No Thursday football in The Whiskey bar this past week on The Breakaway, guys were watching it on their phones 😞

On 9/5/2024 at 11:29 AM, Distinctive-Destinations said:

4) see above, tonight’s Thursday night game is available. 

It was available because it was on NBC and was a national broadcast.  With Prime Video having the exclusive rights to Thursday night football, you won't see it on the ship, maybe in the local market, but not on the ship.

We were on the Joy last September in Canada / NE.   We had some football as others have said, even on the big screen on deck and in room, but certainly not every game.  

However, we just got off the Getaway 2 days ago.   Our 9 day cruise spanned the first 2 weeks of NFL.   Not a single NFL game anywhere on the ship.  However, we were in Greece and Turkey.  This may have something to do with it.  We got no American TV channels at all.   There was a channel called sport24.   I looked up their broadcast schedule and sport24 has a "sea" broadcast and a "fly" broadcast, presumably for cruises and planes respectively.   The "fly" broadcast did have the Lions / Rams game this last Sunday, however the "sea" broadcast schedule had soccer only.   No NFL.  Of course there is a time zone issue as well, we would have had to watch a live game in the middle of the night anyway.

Edited by CCJack