Suites/Retreat Are Getting Pricey

Syd58

Have noticed a significant uptick in prices,  Not sure what Celebrity’s strategy is. On many itineraries, it’s now possible to sail on smaller ships on Silversea, Seabourn, and Oceania for roughly the same price or even less. Silversea is all-inclusive and Seabourn includes gratuities and frequently runs OBC specials. We love the Retreat, but if the smaller, luxury ships’ prices are the same or less, we’ll choose them every time. 

Edited by Syd58
  • Like 7

27 minutes ago, Syd58 said:

Have noticed a significant uptick in prices,  Not sure what Celebrity’s strategy is. On many itineraries, it’s now possible to sail on smaller ships on Silversea, Seabourn, and Oceania for roughly the same price or even less. Silversea is all-inclusive and Seabourn includes gratuities and frequently runs OBC specials. We love the Retreat, but if the smaller, luxury ships’ prices are the same or less, we’ll choose them every time. 

IMO the "strategy" is based on supply and demand.  As long as people are willing to pay the fares they will remain high and likely to continue to increase.  Bookings are strong and ships typically sail full.  If and when that starts to reverse, so will the fares.

And to your point, if bookings decline based on market share shift to the premium lines, that too may signal a change in fare direction.  Again, just my opinion but, in particular with the "E" class ships, Celebrity may see Retreat as competition to the premium lines you mention, but would not want to lose passengers to them if the Retreat fares become too high.  Just speculating.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

IMO the "strategy" is based on supply and demand.  As long as people are willing to pay the fares they will remain high and likely to continue to increase.  Bookings are strong and ships typically sail full.  If and when that starts to reverse, so will the fares.

And to your point if bookings decline based on market share shift to the premium lines, that too may signal a change in fare direction.

I saw Feb. prices for an s1 in Retreat on Beyond in February for 10 days in Caribbean priced at $20k+.(for 2j  Ouch. Perhaps prices were lower to start with. Or maybe I need new glasses..

Edited by Syd58
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

IMO the "strategy" is based on supply and demand.

We helped ease the demand side last year by moving our TA to Silversea.  When we booked, a Silver Suite on Dawn was actually cheaper than a Royal on Celebrity (equivalent sizes in and out), an additional port, an extra sea day longer, and with a lot more inclusions, on a 'fresher' looking ship.  Made that decision pretty easy, even before the recent loyalty match changes.  RCG should consider themselves lucky we didn't stray from their brands entirely.  Moreover, Silversea are still not allowing baseball caps in their dining rooms after 6.  It was an altogether enjoyable experience. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, canderson said:

We helped ease the demand side last year by moving our TA to Silversea.  When we booked, a Silver Suite on Dawn was actually cheaper than a Royal on Celebrity (equivalent sizes in and out), an additional port, an extra sea day longer, and with a lot more inclusions, on a 'fresher' looking ship.  Made that decision pretty easy, even before the recent loyalty match changes.  RCG should consider themselves lucky we didn't stray from their brands entirely.  Moreover, Silversea are still not allowing baseball caps in their dining rooms after 6.  It was an altogether enjoyable experience. 

We have 1 Regent, 3 Silversea, and 3 Oceania booked.  The prices were too good to pass up.

• Like 2

A celebrity sailing will be a totally different experience than a smaller ship.  If you want the VIP treatment and are willing to accept the downsides of a smaller ship - fewer dining options, less entertainment - then that is probably the way to go.  If you want the VIP treatment and the amenities that come with a larger ship are important to you, then you would have to pay for the Celebrity suite. 

We're also checking prices carefully. A Sky Suite on a 10-night on Ascent in December 2025 is over $2k more than an 11-night in a Veranda Suite on the brand new Silversea Silver Ray. The itinerary on the Silver Ray is much better, and includes excursions in each port.

Now I just have to wait forever for it to get here!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

A celebrity sailing will be a totally different experience than a smaller ship.  If you want the VIP treatment and are willing to accept the downsides of a smaller ship - fewer dining options, less entertainment - then that is probably the way to go.  If you want the VIP treatment and the amenities that come with a larger ship are important to you, then you would have to pay for the Celebrity suite. 

I agree that entertainment is typically better on Celebrity. However, some of the newer smaller ships on the luxury lines have a plethora of dining options. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cyntil8ing said:

We're also checking prices carefully. A Sky Suite on a 10-night on Ascent in December 2025 is over $2k more than an 11-night in a Veranda Suite on the brand new Silversea Silver Ray. The itinerary on the Silver Ray is much better, and includes excursions in each port.

Now I just have to wait forever for it to get here!

I’ve found Silversea to have very good prices at this point and they’re all-inclusive.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

A celebrity sailing will be a totally different experience than a smaller ship.  If you want the VIP treatment and are willing to accept the downsides of a smaller ship - fewer dining options, less entertainment - then that is probably the way to go.

Entertainment, true.  Dining?  We had more dining options (no extra charge) on Dawn than on any M class ship.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The pricing is crazy and outside of a little 4 night on the Equinox we don't sail Celebrity anymore. Too bad after 25+ years, but there is NOTHING in the retreat experience that would make an S1 worth 20K for a Caribbean cruise.  Anyone paying that much has money to throw away.........and is pretty gullible to think it's worth it. 

Edited by Gracie115
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 2

This is simple economics. If every loaf of your homemade sourdough bread sells at $12 and people keep coming back every weekend, are you going to lower the price to match the price offered by the baker on the next block? Of course not. 

And it seems like there's a line of people waiting to take the place of those who feel outpriced. Yesterday on Facebook there was an X ad featuring a couple of early 30ish influencers. That's who they're chasing ... 

I think that there's definitely a limit to how much people will spend. We'll see what happens with the economy in the next few years. We won't pay for the Retreat. Heck, we won't pay for AQ if we can get a verandah and specialty dining for the same price.

• Like 2

I know the small ship experience isn’t what I’m looking for..I actually thought the Retreat on Ascent was boring at times, I spent a good bit of time near the plunge pools and sunset bar. ..I did appreciate the slightly larger room. 

Edited by PTC DAWG

30 minutes ago, Gracie115 said:

but there is NOTHING in the retreat experience that would make an S1 worth 20K for a Caribbean cruise. 

How many night cruise is that?  I have not seen any S1 priced that high.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, mrgabriel said:

If every loaf of your homemade sourdough bread sells at $12 and people keep coming back every weekend, are you going to lower the price to match the price offered by the baker on the next block?

Um...yes....because if my bread is going well for $12...then a reduction in price may bring in the customers from the bakery down the block.

4 minutes ago, Oceangoer2 said:

Um...yes....because if my bread is going well for $12...then a reduction in price may bring in the customers from the bakery down the block.

Yeah, but if your ovens are already at capacity (ships full), you don't want or need to spend any additional money to add demand you can't fulfill.  All that's needed is to keep the demand on an even keel (-1 for pun, yes).  To steal those customers, you'd need more ovens (more new builds) in the pipeline, and Celebrity has only one in the works - Xcel.

• Like 3

Friends are wanting us to try Silver Moon in January. 11 nights Deluxe Veranda Suite for $17,600. June we were on Apex in a Sky Suite for $12,000. Right now we are on Solstice 7 nights in a RS for $9000. It does seem like the prices have doubled from what we paid 5 or 6 years ago. Same with business and 1st class flights to Europe, at least from the west coast. 

We did Azamara once. The ship was just to small for us.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, canderson said:

Yeah, but if your ovens are already at capacity (ships full), you don't want or need to spend any additional money to add demand you can't fulfill.  All that's needed is to keep the demand on an even keel (-1 for pun, yes).  To steal those customers, you'd need more ovens (more new builds) in the pipeline, and Celebrity has only one in the works - Xcel.

Exactly. If your ovens can't produce any more bread, why lower the price? In fact, if it was my bakery I would be testing higher prices to see how much the market could bear.

Simple. Might not be what passengers want to hear but shareholders may like it. 

1 hour ago, Texed said:

How many night cruise is that?  I have not seen any S1 priced that high.

I was quoting what @Syd58 stated earlier in this thread on the Beyond for 10 nights in February.  I looked and I don't see that high a price but I do see over $8000 for Aqua Sky Suite per person , over $12,000 for a CS per person during that time period.  Crazy expensive.

Edited by Gracie115

Obviously it's been quite awhile since you priced cruses because the suite pricing has been outrageous for a long time now.  They are selling them out on almost every cruise so it will not change until/if that does.  I hear what you're saying about the smaller, luxury ships but that is not an option for me - not enough to do and I have a tendency towards seasickness so prefer larger ships so I don't have to be constantly medicated.

• Like 2

Well it seems to be across the corp. We usually like to do a suite on a RC Oasis class ship. The suite prices are crazy expensive on RC so we booked a Sky Suite on Beyond next month. It was just a little more than a 4 night on Allure without the included premium drink package and we got twice the nights. And the new ship prices are even more outrageous. They must have liquid gold in the suite toilets on RC now.

Edited by Espn
Edit
  • Haha 2

It all depends. Our three X Sky Suites on Beyond (Nov 2024), Xcel (Jan 2026) and Silhouette (April 2026) are all less than $390 pp per day. 

We were looking at a SS from Tokyo-Vancouver at about $370pp per day. But I can find a lot of SS well north of $400 or $500 pp per day. 

Our Oceania TA in Fall 2025 on Vista is around $340pp per day. 

My point is general statements about “this line being less than this line” can be true of false. You have to shop around, at any point in time any line may be cheaper. 

We have found Royal’s suites to be crazy high. How about over $1,200 pp per day for Icon for a GS? Even the older Symphony of the Seas can be $700 or more pp per day for a GS out of NJ. 

Sometimes X is cheaper, sometimes not. It’s not all about pure price —- the experiences are different between X and O and SS. You need to determine what is important to you and factor that in. 

mac_tlc

• Like 5

I must be in the minority. I just paid little over $6000 for 2 in a sky suite , 10 night Beyond. (Nov '24) I paid more for a CS and Sky Suite the last several years on the Equinox. They were a 9 and 8 night sailings. I think I'm getting the hang of using coupons! 🙃

I've been able to find a few cruises on E-class ships where I could justify the Retreat price.  One is on Xcel in Jan 2026.  Was pretty affordable IMO for the Retreat when first on sale, I also found a Med cruise next summer where it was about $1000 more total for the Retreat as apposed to a Sunset Veranda (my favorite) so IMO I could justify the price.  

If your comparing very popular cruises (Panama Canal, Ultimate Southern Caribbean) those IMO are crazy prices for the Retreat.