The Fleet Report and Daily for Wednesday September 18th, 2024

2 hours ago, XBGuy said:

@Copper10-8.  Help me out here.

This picture appears to show an F-16 with the red, white and blue paint scheme of the USAF Thunderbirds from which the pilot is ejecting just a few feet above the ground.  Is this a legit picture?  If so, was the photographer not remarkably lucky to snap the shot at that very instant?  Also, did the photographer not soil his pants when he realized there was an uncontrolled aircraft hurtling in his direction?  

This is a legit pic of USAF Thunderbirds pilot Captain Chris Stricklin ejecting from his F-16C Falcon aircraft (Thunderbird No. 6, the opposing solo aircraft) at the airshow at Mountain Home AFB in Idaho on September 14, 2003. Capt. Stricklin suffered only minor injuries from his ejection. This incredible pic was taken by an Air Force photographer standing on the observation deck of the Mountain Home control tower. No one on the ground was hurt! Chris Stricklin, now a Colonel, is still in the Air Force and is the vice commander of the 9th Reconnaissance Wing at Beale AFB, CA

Here's the story 

https://www.ejectionsite.com/thunderbird6.htm

• Like 12
  • Thanks 16

4 hours ago, JazzyV said:

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

I've never been to a chiropractor and don't know any greeting card writers. Equal pay should be the way it is. And I'll celebrate Cheeseburger Day! Good quote. I'd prefer a meat burger. Pass on the drink and I've had the wine. I was in Montevideo, Uruguay, on my SA/Antarctica cruise, but I haven't been to Punta del Este. A good day in history for Ireland.

It's still partly cloudy here. We didn't get any rain yesterday, sadly. I had a long afternoon. I saw my PCP and she sent me for another leg US, which was normal. I think the cellulitis is gone (leg no longer red and hot), but tremendous swelling and pain remain. Then I got blood work at almost 4PM and was still fasting! My kidney test was up a bit, but I hadn't eaten or drank anything for about 16 hours and was dehydrated. I have to repeat the chemistry panel in a week. I think I caught up on sleep, after poor sleep for a few days, so I was later in posting the Cares List. No plans today other than to try to elevate my leg.

@St Pete Cruiser Bon Voyage!

@StLouisCruisers Thanks for starting us up today.

@ottahand7 Thanks for the photos from Punta del Este.

@smitty34877 Hugs to you today. Thanks for sharing a photo of DD DH. 

@marshhawk I hope you and Chuck have a good day.

@Haljo1935 Thanks for the information about the Air Force birthday. 

@Copper10-8 Nice photos.

@rafinmd I hope therapy is going well.

@kazu Hopefully things are settling into place.

@mamaofami Prayers that Sam has less pain now.

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers to those Celebrating.

Vanessa, I'm glad the cellulitis is gone, but I'm sorry the leg is still swollen.  I hope that improves soon.  

46 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

These incredibly tough men, and now also women, are called rescue swimmers because that is their MOS (Military Occupational Specialty) in the USCG, officially Aviation Survival Technician!

Swimmer because these are the individuals who jump from their helicopter into the ocean to rescue drowning victims, persons stranded at sea, pilots who have had to leave their stricken aircraft over water, etc. They're also the ones who get lowered by hoist from their helicopter down to mountains, cliffs, glaciers, etc. under all sorts of inclement weather conditions or, as was the case here, down to a cruise ship to get a passenger, or crew member, off that ship and to a medical facility ashore.

In order to become a rescue swimmer in the Coast Guard, they have to successfully pass and complete one of the toughest training courses in the US military (and I'm saying that as a US Marine Corps veteran), the 24-week Aviation Survival Technician/Rescue Swimmer School in Elizabeth City, NC.   

I've added some more pics of actual medevacs by rescue swimmers from HAL ships that I was working from

Here's a 9-minute video of some of the aspects of that school

HAL Medevac AMDM Apr 2010 by HH-60 Jayhawk from USCGAS Kodiak in the Gulf of Alaska #3.jpg

HAL Medevac AMDM June 2017 by MH-65C Dolphin from USCGAS Port Angeles, WA in the Strait of Juan de Fuca #7.jpg

HAL Medevac MADM 19 FEB 2012 by HH-65 Dolphin from Coast Guard Air Station Borinquen off Puerto Rico #2.jpg

HAL Medevac MADM 19 FEB 2012 by HH-65 Dolphin from Coast Guard Air Station Borinquen off Puerto Rico.jpg

HAL Medevac OSDM DEC 2017 by USCG MH-60T Jayhawk from CGAS San Diego in the Pacific enroute Hawaii #4.jpg

HAL Medevac OSDM DEC 2017 by USCG MH-60T Jayhawk from CGAS San Diego in the Pacific enroute Hawaii #7.jpg

John, thank you for the background about the Coast Guard Swimmers and the video of their training facility.  We have witnessed several medical evacuations of patients from BHBs, and it is an amazing feat.  And the ship's captain and crew do a great job of making sure the passengers are safe during the rescue.  Also, thank you for the story behind the picture of the pilot ejecting from his plane.  That just proves what incredible training they receive.  

Lenda

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

Sorry this is late, but for some reason Roy's email did not show up on my computer until a minute ago, even though it was sent two hours ago.

I slept pretty well last night.

2 blocks of rehab today, 9:30 to 11:30.

Speech Therapy at 9:30, working on breathing exercises.  I was supposed to go to a patient’s group meeting at 10 but instead the Doctor sent me down to X-ray for a look at my belly 

10:30 was occupational therapy working on handling medication and gathering food using a rollator.

At 1:30 we had another yoga session, followed by Physical Therapy, working some with the rollator but mostly with the cane, using a much slower technique but also much more stable.

Bowel treatment tonight will be aggressive tonight so I may not sleep as well.

Lenda

• Like 5
  • Thanks 22

Good afternoon, Dailyites,  thinking of you all today, but I'm late posting.  So nice to see @Copper10-8 posting - have you been travelling, John?  

When we started out this week, there was nothing on the calendar, but, bit by bit, our days have filled.  Tomorrow the car gets serviced. Pat has been told his valve is on order - in two or three months!  So we are doing things slowly,,,  

• Like 17
  • Thanks 3

8 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

I don't have a chiropractor but DH does.  Since I'm not good with words, I salute greeting card writers (the non-sappy ones)   My dear Dad would always underline parts of the greeting that he wanted to emphasize.  Apparently I've taken up doing that too, the "kids" always tease me about that. And they notice if there is no underlining.  😅  I'm all for equal pay and would love to see it happen during my life.

The quote is good and there's absolutely no chance of keeping me quiet! Pass on the meal (mushrooms) and red wine, but maybe on the drink.  We haven't been to Punta del Este yet but it's on the '26 World itinerary.  We have a HAL tour of the city and Ralli Museum. Nancy @ottahand7 I noticed your photo of the museum sign -- did you go in and if so was it worth it?  Thank you for the photos!

Today is cloudy but no chance of rain.  Unfortunately those clouds last night made it impossible to see the moon. 😞  The yard waste bin is overflowing but waste management comes by today so I'll be able to fill it up again.

Terry @smitty34877 Thinking of you today.  Thank you for sharing the nice photo of your DH.

Bon Voyage @St Pete Cruiser!

Vanessa @JazzyV I hope there has been some improvement in your leg pain. 

I hope everyone has a good day!

You will love the Museo Ralli.  It is beautiful inside and out and easy to see all in 90 minutes.  The city is clean and the shaded side streets are attractive.  I would love to go again.  More photos from Museo Ralli. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 13
  • Thanks 4

My DS and I visited my DB and we had a nice visit. His PT got him up and walking today.  His wife DSIL was there too.  He looked through a list of attorneys John had printed out and put a check mark next to on office in my small town. I promised to research them. Yesterday afternoon he was left sitting on a bed pan for 50 minutes.  No one answered his call button so he called his wife who left a message at a call in number she was given.  Five minutes later someone came in and removed it.  Meanwhile his bed sores were aggravated and his NP had to bandage them this morning.  He said the food is good the coffee horrible so when we visit on Friday we will bring him a big cup with a fried cake donut that he likes.  I am glad he is working on his PT.  

Monarch butterfly in my DS Zinnia patch. 

IMG_20240916_134953017_HDR.jpg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, Vict0riann said:

Good afternoon, Dailyites,  thinking of you all today, but I'm late posting.  So nice to see @Copper10-8 posting - have you been travelling, John?  

When we started out this week, there was nothing on the calendar, but, bit by bit, our days have filled.  Tomorrow the car gets serviced. Pat has been told his valve is on order - in two or three months!  So we are doing things slowly,,,  

Hi Ann; always good to hear from you. We finished our first ever river cruise - down river the mighty Columbia River from Clarkston, Idaho to Portland, Oregon a couple of weeks ago. Awe inspiring with outstanding scenery! A very positive experience so much so that we booked another one for next year 😉 All the best to Pat, please give him Maria and my regards and best wishes!

028.jpg

006.jpg

018.jpg

032.jpg

035.jpg

011.jpg

019.jpg

001.jpg

003.jpg

005.jpg

015A.jpg

054.jpg

1005.jpg

015.jpg

• Like 19
  • Thanks 6

21 minutes ago, ottahand7 said:

You will love the Museo Ralli.  It is beautiful inside and out and easy to see all in 90 minutes.  The city is clean and the shaded side streets are attractive.  I would love to go again.  More photos from Museo Ralli. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Thank you so much!  I know I'll like it, after seeing your photos. 🙂  

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

Ann, thank you for the update.  While I'm glad the valve has been ordered,  I'm sorry it will still take so long to come in.

1 hour ago, ottahand7 said:

My DS and I visited my DB and we had a nice visit. His PT got him up and walking today.  His wife DSIL was there too.  He looked through a list of attorneys John had printed out and put a check mark next to on office in my small town. I promised to research them. Yesterday afternoon he was left sitting on a bed pan for 50 minutes.  No one answered his call button so he called his wife who left a message at a call in number she was given.  Five minutes later someone came in and removed it.  Meanwhile his bed sores were aggravated and his NP had to bandage them this morning.  He said the food is good the coffee horrible so when we visit on Friday we will bring him a big cup with a fried cake donut that he likes.  I am glad he is working on his PT.  

Monarch butterfly in my DS Zinnia patch. 

IMG_20240916_134953017_HDR.jpg

Nancy, I'm glad the visit with your DB went well, and that he is doing his PT.  No one should have to go through the indignity he experienced yesterday, especially to the point of being harmed, and having to call his wife to call someone to rescue him.

1 hour ago, Copper10-8 said:

Hi Ann; always good to hear from you. We finished our first ever river cruise - down river the mighty Columbia River from Clarkston, Idaho to Portland, Oregon a couple of weeks ago. Awe inspiring with outstanding scenery! A very positive experience so much so that we booked another one for next year 😉 All the best to Pat, please give him Maria and my regards and best wishes!

028.jpg

006.jpg

018.jpg

032.jpg

035.jpg

011.jpg

019.jpg

001.jpg

003.jpg

005.jpg

015A.jpg

054.jpg

1005.jpg

015.jpg

John, thank you for sharing the pictures of your river cruise.  We've driven along the Columbia River, but a cruise would be a relaxing way to see the countryside.  Have you considered a Mississippi River cruise?

Lenda

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, St Pete Cruiser said:

Copper John, great to see your name here. I have missed your very informative posts. Was your position Safety Officer?

I'm almost finished reading the 150th anniversary of Holland America Line I bought on the Zuiderdam's Voyage of the Vikings last month. I'm sure you could write your own book.

Hi Pete; I worked for HAL for almost 8 years as a ship security officer and was extremely fortunate to have worked one full and two partial grand world voyages. Great memories and awesome people to have worked with! I miss the camaraderie the most

Yes, Capt. Albert "Appie" Schoonderbeek's latest book is one excellent read!

HOLLAND AMERICA LINE [2023] A Chronicle of 150 Years - Schoonderbeek & Guns - Picture 1 of 1 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

John, thank you for sharing the pictures of your river cruise.  We've driven along the Columbia River, but a cruise would be a relaxing way to see the countryside.  Have you considered a Mississippi River cruise?

Lenda

Hi Lenda;

Yes, the Mississippi sounds inviting, especially the northern portion going up to, or from St. Louis/St. Paul, and also the music cruises visiting Memphis and Nashville

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Copper10-8 said:

Hi Lenda;

Yes, the Mississippi sounds inviting, especially the northern portion going up to, or from St. Louis/St. Paul, and also the music cruises visiting Memphis and Nashville

John, while we haven't done a Mississippi River cruise, we've driven the river road north fr9m Muscatine, Iowa, and camped on the river bank.  One night, we watched a paddlewheel boat that was all lit up, glide by.  That's another river I'd love to cruise.

Lenda

• Like 5