The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday September 27th, 2024

StLouisCruisers

The update on Ray from his nephew Keith came in just a few minutes ago.  It is an encouraging update.

I arrived about 9AM and Roy seemed to have had a good night.

He has a new roommate who is much quieter. 

His doctor said they are monitoring how his EKG looks on the new medications they prescribed and today it looked good. The Physical Therapist remarked that Roy's breathing and strength seem to be improved, although Roy didn't seem to think it was as improved.

The plan is to keep him in the hospital over the weekend to monitor his EKG and also to try to get some fluid out of his lower legs (and maybe lungs - she suspected he might have a little in his lungs)

If his condition stays the same or improved they expect he'll be eligible to return to rehab on Monday.

Thanks, Keith

Lenda

• Like 7
  • Thanks 34

1 hour ago, wdw1972 said:

It's been a heck of a day here. Helene's impact seemed to be some wind, little rain. We're about 55 miles east of Cedar Key. At home (on the workplace grounds) we never lost power - it flickered once, but held. At 4:30am I learned our Food Service building had no power - just a few lights powered by an emergency generator. Going there, a plan was put in place to get breakfast out. We have 220 residents, 65 of whom are on a 100% pureed diet, some are on tube feedings, several are on a ground texture, and the rest (well less than half) are on a regular texture diet. They live in 23 homes - we prepare the meals on trays & deliver them to the homes. Turns out the entire workplace part of the center had no power - the homes have big generators that provide electricity & air conditioning but everything was out. Found out later the grid was damaged (off property), so it was plan B for lunch as well, then still no power - same for dinner. Power finally was restored just after 4pm! 

Thankfully that was the extent of our issues other than lots of debris everywhere, a couple big trees down, and several big branches falling.  One landed on a staff's car - crashed right through the windshield, caused lots of damage to the body (front, sides & back) and had she been taking a break in her car (as she sometimes does) she would have been killed. There's no doubt.

Hope those of you still dealing with Helene have a good outcome - these giant storms are very concerning. I need a glass of today's chablis but I'll settle for a cheaper vintage tonight that's already in my fridge!

Sue/WDW1972

Sue, I'm glad there was a plan for meals if power was out.  That is a big undertaking.  Your coworker was very lucky to away from her car.

54 minutes ago, Happily@Sea said:

I see according to the tv news that power outages at 30,000 are 3 times the 10,000 of Debby. I have a clock that when the power goes out it stays where it was and then picks up and resumes with power's return - overnight I lost 10 minutes. The winds really picked-up about 9:30 pm and when I took my pill at about 2:30 am the howling and moaning winds were quiet and of course the power was still on. Neighborhood only had branches down and lots of leaf litter everywhere. So as close as we were to Perry FL very little major damage. Of course, we're not anywhere near the coast. Storm surge seemed to be the most destructive of all.

Carole, I'm glad you had very little damage.  

16 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I just found out Ashley gave the 8:40 flight information I sent her to RCCL and they got seats on it.  If everything goes to H E double L in a handbasket maybe there will be seats on the 10:40 flight.  I just felt she could use some information to give the agents to move things along, and it seemed to work out.  I'm so glad they have time before the cruise and won't miss embarkation by trying to fly in the night before.

Sandi, I'm glad RCCL could get them on the 8:40 pm flight, and that there is a back up flight later.

Lenda

• Like 15
  • Thanks 3

10 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

Pat is home.  We watched the PBS news hour, and now Pat is on his computer while I fix supper.  Back to normal!

That's such great news!  Isn't normal wonderful?  

Ashley and Christopher are getting on their 8:40 flight to Dublin then on to Rome in the morning.  (The plane was a little late arriving at PHL so that helped too).  Just hoping their luggage makes it to Rome soon!

• Like 16
  • Thanks 4

DB returned a missed call today and he sounded good.  I hope it continues tomorrow. They are forcing him to sit up more and he needs to drink more water. Dehydration may have caused his LBP. Both DS and I will visit tomorrow.  DSIL has a wedding and will be gone all day. 

It is supposed to be raining off and on tomorrow so after visiting DB John and I may go have dinner at the local sports book.  MI is playing MN so probably will be one sided but the CO game looks to be a good one.  My rheumatologist's brother is offensive coordinator for the Buffaloes.  His brother used to be head coach of the Giants. After all the running to see DB, the worry and the drudgery of booking speakers for the environmental school it will be nice to get out of the house.  I am getting further and further behind with outside work.  

I agree with Debbie, lots of good news tonight and so happy our group dodged Helene for the most part. 

• Like 21

Terrific news @Vict0riann!!

@Quartzsite Cruiser thanks for delivering the good news on @rafinmd.

Congrats @Sharon in AZ on booking the anniversary cruise!

Sorry @marshhawk to hear about the devastation to your vacation place, Arkansas I'm sure will be a nice alternative. 

Happy to read so many have been spared the worst of Helene and appreciate all the check ins.

Stay safe. Prayers 🙏 and positive thoughts for all.

• Like 12

56 minutes ago, oaktreerb said:

Westerdam  in Nome 

IMG_0342.jpeg

IMG_0362.jpeg

Correction:  Westerdam  2024   28 day Legendary Voyage   Arctic Circle Solstice Cruise in Nome on June 21, 2024.  It was a beautiful sunny day and we were welcomed by the townspeople with a Blueberry Festival.

Edited by oaktreerb
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

During my break, I went to the Firefly Resort FB site, two of the cabins had collapsed, (the one that charles and ann were going to stay at, and the one dan was in) the water level had gone up at least 8 feet on the cabins by the road, Sand is in, and on everything.

So now I get to do research on things in Arkansas, and the trip out there.  Which DH seems to be having a problem with, I do not want to sit at Momma Normas for a whole week, and expect my BFF to do that either, so DH has to snap out of his conundrum and give me some clues as to what he actually expects to happen for a week.

The wind came back along with the clouds, but the nonstop weather news ended at 6 tonight and now we can go back to normal.  Tomorrow back to the planning of the trip, and organize the rest of the 2 weeks.  I need to sand and paint the guest bathroom before he gets here.  The mirror had fallen off the wall, and i removed what i could of wall paper that was there, but now it's get down and finish the room, find two smaller mirrors not a whole wall, and add some nice touches.  

• Like 12

7 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

That's such great news!  Isn't normal wonderful?  

Ashley and Christopher are getting on their 8:40 flight to Dublin then on to Rome in the morning.  (The plane was a little late arriving at PHL so that helped too).  Just hoping their luggage makes it to Rome soon!

Dublin is a better airport for immigration into EU and much smaller than Heathrow.

I hope they have a seamless journey into Dublin then Rome and a fabulous cruise on a ship dedicated to adventurous younger fit people.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, marshhawk said:

During my break, I went to the Firefly Resort FB site, two of the cabins had collapsed, (the one that charles and ann were going to stay at, and the one dan was in) the water level had gone up at least 8 feet on the cabins by the road, Sand is in, and on everything.

So now I get to do research on things in Arkansas, and the trip out there.  Which DH seems to be having a problem with, I do not want to sit at Momma Normas for a whole week, and expect my BFF to do that either, so DH has to snap out of his conundrum and give me some clues as to what he actually expects to happen for a week.

The wind came back along with the clouds, but the nonstop weather news ended at 6 tonight and now we can go back to normal.  Tomorrow back to the planning of the trip, and organize the rest of the 2 weeks.  I need to sand and paint the guest bathroom before he gets here.  The mirror had fallen off the wall, and i removed what i could of wall paper that was there, but now it's get down and finish the room, find two smaller mirrors not a whole wall, and add some nice touches.  

That seems like a lot of work to do in the guest bathroom especially as busy as you are.  Wish you had some help!  I know you'll find things do do in Arkansas.  It's a pretty state and the people should be friendly midwesterners (speaking as a midwesterner).  LOL

2 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Dublin is a better airport for immigration into EU and much smaller than Heathrow.

I hope they have a seamless journey into Dublin then Rome and a fabulous cruise on a ship dedicated to adventurous younger fit people.

Graham, I have heard Dublin is a good immigration airport. Their original flight was nonstop from Philadelphia to Rome so they would have done their immigration in Rome.  I'm sure once they get their luggage things will seem much better.  She's a little tired and stressed right now.  Hopefully they will have lots of fun to come!

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

That seems like a lot of work to do in the guest bathroom especially as busy as you are.  Wish you had some help!  I know you'll find things do do in Arkansas.  It's a pretty state and the people should be friendly midwesterners (speaking as a midwesterner).  LOL

Graham, I have heard Dublin is a good immigration airport. Their original flight was nonstop from Philadelphia to Rome so they would have done their immigration in Rome.  I'm sure once they get their luggage things will seem much better.  She's a little tired and stressed right now.  Hopefully they will have lots of fun to come!

Dublin Ireland are in the EU whereas UK isn't so going through immigration in Dublin will make transfer through Rome Italy who are also in the EU Schengan zone much easier.

I hope you are both safe and avoided the hurricane.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Host Hattie said:

Nice thought but Ireland isn't in the Schengen zone. 

2 of my siblings and myself flew from Manchester UK to Dublin and on to Rome a couple of years ago, Dublin and Rome arrivals were complicated by the fact that I was travelling on a US passport, my sister on an Irish EU passport and my brother on a UK passport. Irish/UK politics are complicated.

We all made it through our respective lines at immigration and had a great visit in Rome.

• Like 4